Houzz Logo Print
sushiiphoto

Which white do you like better?!

Sushiiphoto
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My brother bought his first home (hooray!!!) and he's now stuck on choosing a white to paint in the living and bedrooms. Since it's an investment property, we would want to make the house inviting and versatile for the tenants. We all like these two whites I've circled in the image so to help him make his decisions easier, please cast your votes!

Comments (75)

• PRO
    Creative Home Renovations
    8 years ago
    I think the White Cloak will keep it neutral so tenants can bring in colour with furniture and decor. Good luck!
    Creative Home Plus
  • PRO
    Jacquelene Symond Colour
    8 years ago

How much natural sunlight does the the living and bedroom receive? If you have a lot of natural sunlight you can choose a cooler white as the light tends to warm it up a bit. If it doesn't receive much natural light choose a warmer white. If the choice is between White Cloak Qtr and Stowe White, sight unseen White Cloak Qtr is probably a safer bet. Definitely buy a sample pot of each and check the sample at different times during the day - and don't forget match it against the flooring as it can also throw colour.

• PRO
    Sushiiphoto
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for all the great advice! He decided to go with Natural White and it's looking good!!!
  • PRO
    Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
    8 years ago

Hi Shusii Photo, glad we all could be of some help, it's really nice to know our advice ended up with a positive outcome. Also seeing some photo's may help someone else's decision. Thanks. Regards Paul Wales

Sushiiphoto thanked Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
  • janetcoshrove
    8 years ago

What brand is the Natural White Please

• dohraime
    8 years ago
    @janetcoshrove Dulux
  • bigreader
    8 years ago
    Sitting in my Dulux Natural White lounge at the moment. Last love it. Am going to use it throughout (as I get to it)
  • Vy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I used White Dune Half just recently and that's nice too..brighten up the place.

White Exchange Half? in my bathrooms was fine as I had earthy colours and grey grout..but had a grey tinge to it in certain light..

• frostygrrl
    8 years ago

Hi Sushii. Kitchen looks great. They wood panelling makes the room looks dark. Have you consider painting it? In natural white of course.

• grazz1230
    7 years ago

can i use Natural white walls with Vivid White Trims?

• PRO
    7 years ago

Natural White walls and white trims will look great as a professional painter and decorater we have used these combinations on a number of occasions.

Hope all goes well for you, Regards Paul Wales

• John Henson
    7 years ago
    Just finished a house in natural white walls and vivid white gloss enamel. It is a 1950s house so it looks great. I usually roll with the newer the house the more I move toward closer colours on the trims and also move toward satin instead of gloss but it really is personal preference. My brief is always to replicate original due to the government buildings I manage.
  • Alyssa Alban
    7 years ago
    john hensen do you have a picture of the finished product as im interested in what it looks like too? what about natural white with half or quater natural white trims?
  • John Henson
    7 years ago
    I don't have photos and it's a private rental so not really able to get them now but I do have a laundry with the same colouring that I finished a few months ago in a heritage building. Not too sure if it will give a good comparison as its a pretty rough old sleep out room but will post some photos tomorrow avo for you.
  • grazz1230
    7 years ago

Paul Wales just wondering if you have painted any houses with white exchange quarter and vivid white trims as that is my hubbys choice of colour. have tried sample on my wall and it looks creamy instead of grey. thanks so much for all the help.

• Vy
    7 years ago

grazz1230 I have white exchange half on my walls and it's greyish looking

• grazz1230
    7 years ago

thanks Vy. so confusing as my white exchange quarter sample throws off a cream.

• John Henson
    7 years ago
    Alyssa here are some photos of the back laundry that we finished a while back, in a very old house. I hope that it gives you some idea of the natural white against the vivid white gloss. Lighting is obviously an issue but I suppose it shows a different aspect with the differing amount of light.
    I must say it is probably my favourite colouring at the moment for houses over 30 years old. I will probably use this in my own house when it's finished in a year but most trims will be a mixture of oiled jarrah, spotted gum or black butt. Any white trims will be volvox white enamel in satin.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

grazz1230, sorry i haven't used that one before but after lookin at it it does tend to be of a grey tone, It may throw off a different hue depending on what is around it eg. timber floors, carpets, curtains etc. Try painting out a piece of board and moving it around the room in different lights and times of the day it may help.

Good luck, don't forget to let us all know your outcome. regards Paul Wales

• zaffa
    7 years ago
    So I had this white dilemma a while ago. Natural white, vivid white or lexicon. Didn't want shades of yellow. Mulled over the dilemma for ages and eventually got a Dulux colour consultant in to our new build to suggest colours based on the surrounding environment. We were almost sold on natural white before she came as it was the colour suggested by everyone! To our surprise it threw off a pink tinge and was wrong. Vivid and lexicon three off hues of blue. The consultant suggested a relatively new Dulux colour called Snowy Mountains Quarter. Based on the A4 swatch she had the colour was what we wanted. Not cold but not yellow or pink. It was not a colour I would have even considered - actually didn't even know about it. Apparently (she said) it's the new 'Natural White'. For those of you in the minefield of white (!!) I suggest you have a look and compare the colours against each other's and in your space. We haven't plastered yet but will definitely paint some large plaster boards and move around the house at different times of the day to ensure the colour is right for our space. Has anyone used Snowy Mountains Quarter? I'd love to hear your thought! Thanks
  • zaffa
    7 years ago
    Here are some photos of Natural White vs Snowy Mountains Qtr.
    Natural White on right in 1st pic, on left in 2nd pic
    What do you think?
  • John Henson
    7 years ago
    Zaffa, I'm going to look at this as it might suit our new house even better than natural. I'll have to see if I can get bio paints in south Australia to colour match as I wouldn't live in a house painted in Dulux paint, so it throws yet another spanner in the works for my choice
  • zaffa
    7 years ago
    Thanks @John Henson. Can I please ask why you don't like Dulux paint?
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Hi John , i think that bio will match. If you want clean paint you can also try Porters Paints

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    Definitely snowy mountains quarter lovely fresh white Natural white does throw grey if not enough light
  • grazz1230
    7 years ago

my house has just been painted and I went with Vivid white trims and natural white walls and my house looks great. very happy with my choice. thanks everyone for the help.

• John Henson
    7 years ago
    Zaffa, I don't like the toxic nature of plastic paint or decking oils.
  • User
    7 years ago
    This thread has been fascinating! What paint colour you think would best suit a house with Aluminium Classic Cream doors and windows?
  • rma49454
    7 years ago

Hi Zaffa has been interesting reading and very helpful, wondering if you ended up using Snowy Mountains Quarter or has anyone else who may be reading this thread? I'm currently trying to choose a 'white' to go throughout the whole home, is a new build and have so many sample pots, very confused . We have 'Monument' window frames and Concrete floors, the house gets a lot of light. I've used 'Natural White' in a previous home that had timber floors and loved it but think it will be a little 'too warm' for this house?? I still prefer warmer over cold whites, I was thinking about the Snowy Mountains Quarter or Half but someone said it looked grey but that could be because the sample board was up against Lexicon Quarter but that appears too stark and bright. I want a warmer white without being too cream. Any suggestions please?.

• zaffa
    7 years ago
    Hi there, we have just decided on Snowy Mountains Qtr. We too have polished concrete floors, anodised silver window frames and monument/ surfmist exterior render combo. For us, the Natural White was definitely too cream. The Lexicon Qtr looks great where there is direct sunlight but throws off a blue hue when in diffused light. The Snowy Mountain Qtr was kind of in between the two - a nice white, not too warm and not too cold. I can post some pics of my sample boards if you like? We will go for Snowy Mountains Qtr - definitely not grey in my house.
  • zaffa
    7 years ago
    By my last comment I meant the SMQ does not look grey in my house
  • rma49454
    7 years ago

Thanks Zaffa, really appreciate your comments, and yes some pics would be great, thank you. I've definitely eliminated Lexicon Quarter.

• zaffa
    7 years ago
    Here are some pics I have ready. I could go back to the site tomorrow and take pics of the boards in different light. The letters indicate which colour - Snowy Mountain Qtr, Lexicon Qtr, and Natural White. The SM half has more grey in it so would definitely go the Qtr.
  • Michael Zyk
    7 years ago

Thank you for the info and pictures Zaffa!

I'm about to do the main walls in SWQ as well. Your posts really helped me decide. I was almost about to switch to Natural.

• Hannah Millen
    7 years ago

White cloak!

• Lee-Anne Doyle
    6 years ago
    hi i.m new here.. i.m currently renovating my hole house.. i.m now just starting my spare bedroom. . i have painted the ceiling Lexicon half and the walls white exchange half. . i have cuboards i wish to paint in a bright color. . but unsure what goes with what .. my quilt cover is black grey and white.. whats you suggestions would be ? much appreciate of any suggestions
  • Lee-Anne Doyle
    6 years ago
    just like to share what i have done so far ... i made a new feature wall, with wood wall panels, 3 different colors japan black, japan brown and coal.. painted the ceiling Natural white and walls are White duck quarter skirting boards Natural white semi gloss.. and planning to have floating floor boards undecided what color.. i.m thinking light color.. my second picture is with new fan and down lights
  • Tilly
    6 years ago
    Use whisper white or China white. Dulux.
    Buy samples and paint on large pieces of cardboard.
    This way you can move them around it different lights and times of the day.
  • joseybell
    6 years ago

@zaffa Did you decide on a wall colour? I was deciding between SMH and Lexicon Half but wondering if SMQ is the middle ground?

• zaffa
    6 years ago
    Hi joseybell. Yes, we painted our home SMQ and love the colour in our space. It's a crisp white without being stark with enough warmth minus the cream tones. I think it really depends on your space. The lexicon threw off blues in my home and natural white throw off cream/yellow hues. SMQ was the midpoint and we're happy with our choice
  • zaffa
    6 years ago
    Here are some photos of the SMQ
  • joseybell
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much. It looks wonderful. Did you do ceilings and walls in the same colour?
  • zaffa
    6 years ago
    Yes. All in SMQ. Thanks for your comments. We are happy with the result
  • lyvia p
    3 years ago

@zaffa do you have any recent pics for SMQ please, appreciate your help !

• zaffa
    3 years ago

Hi livia p. I’ll take some in the morning and post

• Lisa Brady
    2 years ago

Thanks zaffa - I’m keen to see too! What type of wood is the plank in photo 3? We’re trying to choose between snowy mts (half or quarter) an natural white… will have blackbutt flooring.

• surabhi
    2 years ago

Hi Zaffa, I am considering white polar quarter or SMQ for my interior wall paint. But looking at the pics you shared, I am inclined towards SMQ. Still, while your experience to search your right white. Did you ever considered white polar qtr?

Also, I am not able to decide on the kitchen cabinetry colour too. If I pick SMQ, I would like to know what cabinetry colour you chose?

• Davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Hi there, having recently been through a similar decision process for our Reno I can really recommend ordering the Dulux A4 samples. They are made with the real paint on them so you can move them around from room to room to see exactly what it will look like without having a heap of swatches painted on the wall. They have a sticker backing but I used blu-tac so 8 could move them over and over. Good luck

• Colin Malzard
    2 years ago

Depends on the style of the home . . .

• Sarina Robison
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello Zaffa just wondering what colour kitchen cabinetery you put with the SMQ? paint looks fabulous