Houzz Logo Print
ntjoyce2010

Console Styling Help

ntjoyce2010
8 years ago
Hi, I seem to be terrible at styling my console, can you please help? Unsure what I am doing wrong. I would like to keep my console and painting so please do not ask me to change them but rather I need advise on how to style the area so it ties in with the rest of my house.
I have also attached a pic of house.
My house seems to be a never ending project

Comments (52)

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Unsure if I want to buy another ottoman as I have a fair few around the house already
  • acharyaanisha
    8 years ago
    Hi ntjoyce..I like the picture, glass console and also the ottoman I think it looked nice to have a bit of colour there and it wasn't bright, it blended in well with the glass colour and grey picture I think..I was thinking how about putting some interesting looking glass vase (in that yellow colour from the ottoman) and a lamp with a dark grey base and white shade?.. I found some pictures for ideas
  • Related Discussions

TV console dilemma! Help please.

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi angemile. I would turn it around. If you have found artwork that you love, make it the focal point in the room when you walk in - instead of the TV. (I am making an assumption here - that your main entry into this room is from where you have taken the photos). You have a beautiful lounge suite. I would position the two-seater where you have the TV currently, with artwork above. Leave the armchair next to the plant where it is and position the other one in the corner by the window with the floor lamp next to it. The bar cabinet could go where the second armchair is currently. Position the TV in the corner where the bar cabinet is now. I would go white with the TV cabinet - something like: Then try and bring out those subtle orange and navy colours that are in your rug with cushions and accessories. Good luck!
    ...See More

Need help to find mirror above console please

Q

Comments (32)
    Have you tried a Framing Shop.... You can chose the frame and have it made to the size you want, and they can provide the mirror. We have a wonderful place close by, and I get all my framing done there. They'll let you bring a sample home to try. Not all are over the top expensive, just shop around. Good luck with your search.
    ...See More

Mid century style console

Q

Comments (3)
    I've looked at the West Elm hall table too, and you're right, they are hard to find. You could try Temple and Webster as they have a few that are mid-century styling, though none quite the same as West Elm's. http://www.templeandwebster.com.au/Console-Tables-C1813552.html
    ...See More

Tips on console or cabinet style

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Johan Not sure if it is possible with the construction of the unit, but you could possibly remove the upright cupboards (or make up new ones) and place them further out on the edges. This would visually make the unit a lot bigger and fill the space in a bit better proportion. (If you have to make up new ones you could make them deeper for more storage) you could then make up a simple panel at a cabinetmaker for the infill between in the same colour, which would allow the mounting of a large tv on it without to much drama. the bulkhead over would need to be extended also like this (quick and dirty) pic below... Cheers
    ...See More
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Great idea, I like your idea of introducing yellow into the area. I have my gone shopping as yet but what do you think of this arrangement?
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Apologies, what I meant was I haven't gone shopping as yet but I did find these items from around the house
  • Miranda S
    8 years ago
    I would put ferns in the vass and leave it off-centre. Have a look at ikebana for simple and striking flower artistry.

What do you use this little area for? Perhaps a simple clock, table lamp, or a cute pad of paper & pen would bring some interest. At the moment it just looks like an assortment of decorative things that have no use or value to you. Which sounds harsh and I don't intend it to, but I think you need to really think about the point of it?
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I agree with your point, the area is by my entrance. I would love to but items we use just before leaving the house like my daughters hats and other small items but it doesn't go.
  • acharyaanisha
    8 years ago
    Hi, I'm not sure if the pieces you have on the console right now are really working.. I feel that your console, artwork and ottoman have contemporary look to them.. I like the idea of having a small clock there..maybe a white planter or like one attached with some succulents would look nice.. The wooden vase you have right now if you don't mind painting it and it if it has a lid maybe you could spray paint it white and use it to put your baby's hats in these.. Just an idea
  • jmm1837
    8 years ago

If you want to keep the ottoman there, I agree with the comment above about adding some yellow. I'd remove the pink vase in that case. You could combine attractive with practcal: ie a yellow or grey glass dish would be good for holding keys, and that basket could be on the floor holding the hats. Depending on the layout of your entry, you might also want to think about putting small hat rack beside or behind the door. Howards has some nice bamboo ones (of course, this means you might have to buy the kids new yellow hats! ;)

• 2dogssashatess
    8 years ago

Actually I think this pretty good. Don't clutter the space as then multiple objects are competing for attention.

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    All good suggestions but a few clash in opinions. I want to keep my ottoman there for practical proposes so I agree with I need an element of yellow on the console.

I was thinking of something like this photo?
    Should I go clear vase with yellow flowers to go with my ottoman then a few books with a bowl?
    Or yellow vase (like in my attached pic) white flowers
    Or grey vase (like in my attached pic but which one should I get if any?) with yellow flowers or should I pair the vase with white flowers?
    What colour should my bowl and books be also.

Open to other suggestions also
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Should I put a bowl in the area or this? I think this would be handy to have on the console as we can throw what we need into it without the area looking messy. Thoughts?
  • landcoolj
    8 years ago
    You are lucky to have such a blank and neutral canvas - it means you can go for a classic restrained look or go to the eclectic side. Whatever you decide to do I would suggest you combine different shapes and heights of your items to provide visual interest. You can never go wrong with a pot plant or a tall vase of flowers off centre.
    My suggestion would be to place a tall vase/pot plant on one side of the picture and, if you like, a lamp on the other side (just make sure they are of different heights!). In the middle I would place a stack of books (you look like you have lots of choice judging by your bookcase) and a small tray/ box on top that you can use to place keys or knick-knacks as you enter your home. Most of these items you already have in your home so experiment a little. Whatever you do, avoid grouping items of same height unless you are going for the symmetrical placement.
    As for colour, you can always find some gold-trimmed items that would go well with the pattern on the ottoman and combine it with blacks greens and off-whites.
    For grouping inspiration, please see photos below. Good luck!
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you sooo much for your suggestions, I absolutely love the ideas and photos inspirations you attached. You made me laugh when you spoke about my bookshelf. There is a lot going on there but it is a very practical shelf for us which we use often.
    I love when you can make an area visually appearing but also very practical, always what you need with a growing family.
  • landcoolj
    8 years ago
    Glad to be of help. Would love to see a photo of what you come up with :)
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I hope the area looks as good as your photos. I also want the same front door.
  • acharyaanisha
    8 years ago

Love the photos landcoolj has put up and good suggestions....bowl on top of the books look good too like in your first pic.. I think if you pick your items in White, clear glass, yellow, grey or black or in the colour of your floors..in different shapes or sizes will all compliment the area.. Have fun with it.. Would love to see it when finished..

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh, thanks sooooo much I love it. You are the best!!!! I am going to go shopping and try my very best to find these exact items. Wish me luck and once again thank you so much for doing that for me
  • allanaspree
    8 years ago

Glad you like it. Should be easy to source. Black candle holders - you will be spoilt for choice. Lamp - a Josephine lamp sold by the likes of Matt Blatt & Sokol etc. Black/white throw - easily found on the internet. Beauty of this design is that you can change the look very cheaply & on a regular basis if you like by exchanging books, changing colour of candles & flowers. I've put together some pics to show you what I mean. Good luck!

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You are awesome, I was just trying to source the lamp and you found it for me. I need a box on the console through to put keys and stuff in. Are you able to add this to your design by any chance?
  • allanaspree
    8 years ago

I can never understand why people want to put their keys on the console table at the entrance. Why? If you have a house break in you are presenting the burgular (very stylishly of course) the keys to everything in your house! He will thank you profusely but probably not in person. I have mine in a tupperware bowl in the pantry. However, if you really want key/coin storage on the console table you could use a trinket box in front of flowers or stand the vase on a tray see pics. Trinket box can be bought at Target & a tray just about anywhere. You could use a glass tray or a black one or a chevron one.

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks once again for your graphics. It really helps me visualise the area a lot better. I love how you also indicate where I can get the items from

I think I will get a big basket and place it on the other wall of my entrance which will hold our umbrellas, hats, sunscreen bottle, picnic rug etc.

Unsure why but my friends that come over all throw their keys and at times phone on my console so thought to give them a tray or box to put their stuff in.
  • allanaspree
    8 years ago

I'm not sure how much space you have on the other wall but here is another idea & I will then sign off as I'm sure you will create a lovely space on your own from here on in. You could purchase a cube storage unit (available everywhere from Bunnings, Kmart, Freedom you name it) add some stylish storage baskets (ones in pic are from Spotlight) and have a tray for keys etc. Put some coat hooks on sides to hang coats etc; leave a couple of shelves to display decorative items. Good luck.

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions, I have an idea in my mind, going shopping tomorrow to get my items. My inspiration is from all the suggestions combined. I will post what I come up with shortly for your thoughts
  • User
    8 years ago

It looks like you're already inspired so I'm just going to add some general comments. The reason your table has just looked like a 'collection of stuff' is because the colours aren't harmonious, and because the items you've placed on the table aren't tall enough to tie in with the art work.

Your art work is black and blue-grey, whereas the wall and floor are more of a mushroomy beige colour. Consider whether your table-top items continue either of these colour themes, or can somehow incorporate both to create a cohesive whole. Is it possible to place the art work elsewhere, or re-frame it, or to paint the wall? The whole set up would look completely different on a stark white wall.

Looking at the inspo pic with the octagonal mirror, you can see that the plant on the left visually connects the mirror with the table. Its presence is balanced by the smaller objects on the right. So when you're going for decorative items, try collecting things of varying heights.

Please do let us know what you come up with!

• PRO
    Melissa Treadgold Architect, Sydney, Australia
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The black framed photo is too 'heavy ' for the glass table. It looks unbalanced. The octagonal mirror above looks better and balanced. Theu whatever you put on or under the table will give it some 'strength'. But avoid too much clutter on a glass table. A large flat-ish black ceramic bowl or wood platter could work. (full of shiny fresh fruit or colourful flowers)

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Can you recover the ottoman in a beautiful black velvet or suede fabric?

It will help to simplify the look, no clutter & the art is the focus piece.

Just add a large & low decorative bowl (black/white/silver) on the console & hang the hats & keys on the back of the door or a rack hidden away behind it.

• Sobia Younus
    8 years ago
    I would only do that painting with yellow ottoman and a statement/artistic decor piece on the table

Cant wait to see what you hv bought
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am sincerely grateful for everyone's suggestions on how to make my area a lot more visually appearing.
    I did a bit of shopping today but unfortunately I didn't buy anything.
    I did however find the attached vase and flowers, what do you think? Also I have attached a picture of how the area looks at current. A fair few sale assistances like my current clean, somewhat simple look. I was going to buy a lamp or plant for the space but my friends and sales assistances said no need. I am told less is more and easier to clean.
  • amwants
    8 years ago

I would place a black (to tie in the photo frame) tray on the ottoman and place a few items on the tray, this could be changed seasonally but I would tie in the photo so I would have a few shells, rock, stones, pebbles or ocean washed glass. If this is close to your front door, what about a plate to hold keys. Keep the console uncluttered.

• Sobia Younus
    8 years ago
    Do some simple stuff
  • Sobia Younus
    8 years ago
    You can get these from kmart :))
  • scottevie
    8 years ago

I liked the balance of size/shape of objects you posted in the pic following your complete declutter. I agree with the idea you had to have some sort of basket/tray/box to keep tidy objects as you enter/exit the house.

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dodo_tecture, I went to Kmart today after reading your post, I was amazed how much home decor stuff they have. Unfortunately for some reason I didn't buy anything.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions everyone. I will get there and hopefully most will agree the space looks good
  • roslyne
    8 years ago

I found the gold dolphins (?sorry my photo wasn't clear) too many 'features'. I think that you have some beautiful items which are strong in their own right, so you need to be careful about putting too many features there, or attempting edgy colour combos unless you're extremely capable with colour-use. The table and artwork are lovely, so go back to them. The ottoman, if you really want to use it rather than let people see through the table to the floor and wall (which I think is the idea of the table itself, rather than being a structural piece), needs something yellow to tie it in. I'd go for something in MUTED yellow though, a bit misty like the artwork style, and very simple - the soft yellow vase with white flowers that you posted looked like it would be perfect? Then you could put a simple tray or box next to it for keys or phones - clean lines, simple soft colour of either white, silver, yellow or grey (a small amount of texture would be OK). I think not too many features, and different heights but not too small but not hiding the artwork either (that implies that it's not worth looking at - it's not a mirror that you can visually link that way). Sorry - that's just an opinion - I can see that this is stressing you out. Take your time! good luck - I enjoy seeing the process...

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You would think styling a console would be a very easy task. I guess it is easy but I am just stubborn, holding onto both the ottoman and artwork in one area that doesn't work together.
    I was thinking about putting a lamp in the area but we do not have a power point close by so it is a bit pointless, then I was thinking of putting a vase and with fake flowers there but my hubby doesn't seem to like fake flowers (mind you I only found out the other day) then I was thinking about how some were suggesting a statement low-line bowl (which I haven't found one I like as yet) Now I am thinking I want greenery in the area. So my thoughts now is a plant and a small bowl or just 1 low-line bowl there.

Roslyne, my friends find it funny how I stress over how to style my console, I guess it can be amusing. Hopefully what I have described doesn't sound like too many features at once, or does it? I do love indoor plants though

I have 3 styling areas I am working on at the moments and would love to finish styling the areas, soon??
  • LouieT
    8 years ago
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

Just some examples for you to consider... ;)

YS Ambiances Art Collection · More Info

One Bal Harbour · More Info

Entryways · More Info

Altamura Console Table, Tonin Casa · More Info

Bulimba Townhome · More Info

• ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    All super great ideas but the space is by my entrance opposite a small hallway that leads to my master bedroom. Having said that I don't particularly want a mirror facing my bedroom. I guess I have some thinking to do.
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I really like the vase and dish in this picture, now I just need to find something similar. I was also thinking of sewing a cover for my ottoman, apart from black what colour should my ottoman be? I would like the area to flow with the rest of my house which is more earthy tones
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I am fairly drawn to this art (unsure why) but will it work in my area replacing my black frame art? I think I will need to sew a cover on my ottoman, what colour should it be? And what would I place on my console with reference to my change of art?
  • Susan Ballard
    8 years ago
    With a console your items on top should have either the tallest item in centre and graduate height on either side down or to do the reverse height order with tallest item at sides To highlight picture smallest item in centre Picture is hanging too low If keeping ottoman there (I would move as distracts eye) Get rid of throw from this area its top much
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The store has sold out but I have just placed an order for the Indian art piece, it will arrive in 3 weeks
  • ntjoyce2010
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Outcome of the area, not perfect but still better than before so I am happier
  • jmm1837
    8 years ago

I don't want to be critical, but you still have too much stuff on the console. I'd probably go with the big bottle on one side, the bowl with its contents on the other, and forget the lamp and candle. The basket looks good.

• chubbychicky
    8 years ago
    Agreed jmm1837.......remove the lamp and the candle and.....'by George, I think you've done it!!!' Looks great :)
  • Deb Xuereb
    8 years ago
    I take the point about burglars having access to keys if the keys are in the hallway but I think burglars are going to burgle whether the keys are handy or not. Convenience for the family needs to take priority. After all, you may never be burgled! Here's hoping!
  • rost54
    5 years ago
    Love the concept of a glass console table but can’t fit the standard 120 cms long ones along the entry wall -any suggestions form anyone where to purchase a smaller version ? Been trawling the shops today but no luck. So please anyone -help ?
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    @ rost54 for glass console table look at Freedom or Glicks on line or just google it there is lots of them and also second hand ones , you can try local Facebook market place,good luck.
  • sushipup1
    2 years ago

"Mike phillips" is a spammer. Please flag.