Houzz Logo Print
jammomuzo

Need suggestions for BCA private certification

jammomuzo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Not sure about the below issue, the private building certifier that has been engaged has discussed that the media room has an issue possible not complying with BCA for the following reason:-

the Building Code of Australia (BCA) states that you must have windows that are equal in size to at least 10% of the floor space, for the purpose of natural light - or 3%, for rooflights (or a proportional combination of windows and rooflights). When we talk about ventilaion it's worth remembering that skylights don't necessarily open to allow ventilation.

The 5% ventilation requirement

For the purpose of ventilation, an openable window or similar aperture is required to be at least 5% of the floor space in that particular area. The area itself may be defined just as one particular room, or a combined set of adjoining spaces. Also, in a room where there is no ceiling fan, the BCA states that you must achieve effective cross ventilation.

I have 2 suggestions that can be a work around to resolve this issue?

1. I am suggesting to remove the bifold door and install a fan and use the windows located near the staircase to beam natural lighting would this make the room complying or

2. install a feature class above the couch into the dining which will allow light to beam from the dining area into the media room, i also will make this into a retreat room or quiet area.?

Has anyone had experience with this issue? Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions as i don't want to re-configure the layout as this is functional for our family.

Comments (14)