Houzz Logo Print
roger_thomson

Pool landscaping ideas for Sydney north shore job

Roger Thomson
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all, would love some advice on the landscaping I'm preparing to do for the back yard.

I reckon it's a great opportunity to plant a really special garden!

I would go through the formal design process but not enough time - pool must launch on 27th feb as it's a 10th wedding anniversary party and there won't be an 11th unless it's done!

Couple of points spring to mind:

1 - Looking towards the back wall is looking west, so the sun sets over the brown building that dominates that view, LHS gets full sun, RHS partially protected by the fence and is particularly shady in the back right corner.

2 - Pool will be turquoise fully tiled. Fence will be stained dark grey.

3 - Main requirement for screening are the windows and a/c unit of the building behind - so 4m sufficient. Much higher and you start to shade the pool from the evening sun, which is not ideal. Not against bamboo, but a solid bamboo wall behind that retaining wall might look too contrived unless filled with other plants as we are going for the natural heavily-planted 'jungle' look.

4 - I think that we need to decide on accents plants, particulary big/tall ones, and the screening and then work down. Thanks to tall plants in the neighbouring gardens there is no need for more tall plants and they would only make the garden feel more closed in - although a taller accent plant/palm in the 2 back corners might be needed or work.

5 - nothing flowering or dropping around the pool if at all possible - the wife insists she hates flowers and I don't want to be picking them out of the pool or deal with filter issues.

6 - don't want to go much higher than the fence on the RHS as that would shade the pool.

7 - LHS will be lawned with buffalo grass, with bed at back at lawn height.

I was thinking:

RHS: raphis excelsa palms, corydlines, tiger grass, elephant ears, swiss cheese plants, xanadu, gingers, bromiliads, philedondrons and grasses

BACK: taller bamboo for screening (slender weavers or murray island), kentia and golden cane palms, banana plants - with some of the RHS plants mixed in.

LHS: only a 400mm bed in full sun - chance to grow a lime tree? a few gingers for some flowers? a frangipani? with some of the RHS plants for continuity.

Biggest concerns are how to balance the screening bamboo and mix other plants into it so it doesn't look like a wall, and what plants/where to put some big feature plants/palms? A Bismarkia? A foxtail? A fan palm?

What do you think? Am I on the right track?
Would love some advice or links to pictures addressing the above concerns.

Need to get ordered pretty quick as the landscapers are in the next couple of weeks.

View of back west facing wall:

1300mm bed behind the retaining wall:

RHS (north-facing) from eating area:

900mm bed along RHS:

LHS inc bbq padoga:

Neighbours' pool we really like:

How the wife wants it to look at night:

She likes solid green walls like this, but giant birds of paradise have roots that are a nightmare near pools especially:

Comments (9)