Houzz Logo Print
miki_stirbinskis

Marble island and splashback dilemma

Miki
8 years ago
We have an arabescato vagli island and need a splashback. I want it to be easy to clean as the induction stovetop will be next to it. We have enough marble left over for the splashback but I'm worried it will look too busy. I would prefer a white glossy rectangular tile but am worried about keeping the grout clean. Thoughts?

Comments (58)

• Miki
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I see what you mean. Thanks for that.
  • georgi02
    8 years ago

Personally, I'd avoid the marble splashback as marble can stain. If you're keen to go with white tiles and are worried about the grout, look into epoxy ground which much easier to clean (it may cost you upto an extra $50-80/sqm as it's more difficult for your tiler to work with) but worth it - we did it in the bathroom. Otherwise, at the back of the stove you could always do a white glass or stainless steel splashback and use tiles on the rest of the splashback area that's not going to be subjected to as many splashes.

Miki thanked georgi02
  • Related Discussions

Help ideas for Splashback in new kitchen, please.

Q

Comments (4)
    We recently did a splash back in our new kitchen using 41 x 41 mm square stainless still tiles from a company in Western Australia called ALLOY. They look amazing and everyone comments on them. They make tiles out of lots of different metals and in larger (and smaller) sizes.
    ...See More

Splashback dilemma

Q

Comments (24)
    I used a handmade Mexican mixed tile that has uneven edges also. My cabinets are brilliant white and the benchtops are really light grey. The floors are a 600x600 grey tile. I added the timber topped island eighteen months after putting in the kitchen as I could not afford to do it all at the same time. Even with shipping them from Mexico myself it still worked out cheaper than a glass splash back would have and the kitchen would look pretty wishy washy without them. People that were not sure when I told them changed their opinion once they saw them installed. They add character.
    ...See More

Kitchen help - splashback colour with marble and timber

Q

Comments (3)
    It really depends on your personal preference. I personally think that a splash back that is different to the marble island would be suitable! Have you thought about frosted glass or even a tinted mirror splash back? They do add value and can also be a great focal point in any kitchen. :-)
    ...See More

Help! I have a kitchen bench and splashback dilemma

Q

Comments (47)
    Ali your kitchen looks amazing. The colours are wonderful. I have a question for you about the Rugged Concrete. I’m thinking of using it on our island bench but I’m a little worried about finger marks and cleaning. I’ve read lots of bad reports about the other Caesarstone concretes like Fresh,Raw and Sleek. And I’m hoping Rugged Concrete is easy to clean. How is yours now that you’ve had it for a little while?
    ...See More
  • Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 years ago

I totally agree with what the others have said about it being too busy, and a solid glass splashback eases any worries about cleaning/grout! These can be printed with any colour you want on the back, so you could do light to match your cupboards or dark to pick up on the darker tones in the marble. Can't wait to see what it looks like whichever option you choose!

Miki thanked Gioenne Rapisarda
  • PRO
    Brilliant Design Concepts
    8 years ago

My preference would be to use the marble as the splash back. The continuity of the marble will create , rhythm and balance to connect the space. I agree that natural stone does patina with use but it has also has an organic beauty that stands the test of time..

Miki thanked Brilliant Design Concepts
  • haephestus
    8 years ago

I'd use the left-over marble. While it does have strong veins, the rest of the kitchen being white should prevent the marble from being too domineering in the space.

Alternatively, I'd probably go with a glass splashback, either in white or a grey which matches the veins in the marble. I'm having trouble picturing the subway tiles and the marble together because in my mind the "pattern" and texture of the subway tiles could "clash" with the marble.

Miki thanked haephestus
  • Miki
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good points haephestus. I thought using white grout would diminish the pattern of the tile and you would just see a shiny, white finish. I am leaning towards the marble again. Here are the photos of the remnants.

• PRO
    Brilliant Design Concepts
    8 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• d m
    8 years ago

I think use the marble as a slash back as well it looks amazing and very on trend. Devine

• PRO
    VSL Joinery
    8 years ago

A glass splashback would look great.

A client of ours used the off cut of marble from her splashback as a benchtop for her wine bar/kitchenette in another room.

Kitchens · More Info

Kitchens · More Info

Kitchens · More Info

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    The marble is quite busy and I think a white subway would look great. You only need one feature in the room. If the house is more contemporary then a glass/mirror splashback would be a good choice also. Use the left over marble elsewhere.
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    8 years ago

I would definitely let the island "shine" by steering away frim marble on the splashback. White glass is a grout-free, easy to maintain alternative to tiles. Your marble being fairly "dark" (for marble, that is), so I'd keep the splashback white for a soothing effect. Texture and colours can be further added with decorative elements (storage baskets, chopping board, fruit bowl etc.) The lool will be elegant and timeless. Let us know what you end up doing! :)

• PRO
    Alix Helps Interiors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Given that the grain in the marble is so dark, I would advise restraint here and would suggest allowing the island to be the hero. You already have the same marble as your bench top over there, so doing splash back as well may be over kill. Go for a simple glass splash back in a shade of grey from the marble. This will also make your kitchen accessories pop. There is plenty of white in your cabinetry for the eye to rest. Love to see a pic of what you go with. :)

• katdimitriadi
    8 years ago
    Mirrored or tiles with glass overlay
  • Jen James
    8 years ago

Your marble is extremely busy...I would just put in white glass to keep it clean!!

• Angela Ris
    8 years ago

The marble you've used has a busier pattern than some. I would recommend a shiny white porcelain tile for your splash back. I currently have large tiles as my splash back with white grout. Been here for 4 years now and the grout is very bright and clean til this day. Hope that helps!

• wedgelee
    8 years ago

I think it will depend on what type of lighting you are putting over the freestanding bench area. Too much marble may overpower the whole kitchen but with the right lights to balance it out, it could look really effective...

• lettiepayne
    8 years ago

have you considered a mirrored splashback?

• Joanna Kouskousis
    8 years ago
    Let me send you a pic tomorrow! I'm
    Installing my marble Splashback!
  • Deb Xuereb
    8 years ago
    I'd avoid any tile as a splash back. I think subway tiles in particular would be too busy with the marble. I think your off cut marble would be fine but my personal preference would definitely be a glass splash back in strong white. No texture or pattern to "fight" with the marble. The smooth glass splash back would then complement and highlight the truly beautiful marble, and the marble would be the feature, taking the eye.
  • bargainhunter
    8 years ago
    Your marble is very busy so I wouldn't do a splash back as well. I agree that a glass splash back would be nice. Perhaps in a grey shade pulled from the marble grain
  • meryllarsen
    8 years ago
    My friend has a marble bench top and splash back, it looks amazing! But has plain cupboards.
  • A P
    8 years ago

such beautiful marble - we are going through similar dilemma but budget has made our decision that we can't do the splashback ,, just the island with marble .Glass with a hint of grey will look nice or mirrored glass so it will reflect the beautiful island.

• Miki
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can't wait to see your kitchen, Joanna!

• vickimpond
    8 years ago
    What a gorgeous kitchen! We have used a textured tile for our backsplash and have also used a white grout. We will use a protective coating like Enduro Shield to prevent any issues with staining & cleaning. Perhaps you might consider this also. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Reclaim your space
    8 years ago

I agree the subway tiles would be too busy and detract from the marble, but you could get a large format white tile that would look less busy and less grout. Or a marble effect tile with less veins or a lighter vein.

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 years ago

Wow Joanna, looks great! Have you sealed the marble with anything to ensure it doesn't stain?

• Joanna Kouskousis
    8 years ago

All sealed by my stone mason!

• PRO
    3 Pea's Property Styling
    8 years ago

Hi Miki, I think your new kitchen is coming together beautifully and I also love your marble bench tops. Another option to consider for your splash back is pressed metal panels which can provide the texture, without the grout issue. It is easily cleaned with a quick wipe down, and can be powder coated to whatever colour you choose, or left in it's raw state. With various pattern options available, you are bound to find something to your taste. I hope this helps! All the best. Jo

• Miki
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We have decided to go with the marble splashback as I really love the piece we have. I won't be able to post photos for a while as the island is being protected from tradies while the rest of the build continues. Thanks for all your input! (BTW, I had no idea that this would be posted on Facebook >180 comments, a bit overwhelming! Something to keep in mind if posting)
  • PRO
    Jamesjames Design
    8 years ago

Great choice, your kitchen will be so elegant.

• PRO
    Kitchen FX
    8 years ago

The marble splashback would give it a more featured look without adding to much to the kitchen. Adding something new might already be to overwhelming with the detailed tops.

Good choice with keeping the marble splashback!

• Emma
    8 years ago
    I'm glad you chose the marble you've got, Miki - as per KitchenFX's comment and Joanna's gorgeous photos, my opinion is that the marble makes the scheme less busy as the eye only has to appreciate one feature material rather than adjust to different materials (no matter how neutral). Plus you save as you've already paid for the slab, probably. I'd love to see photos when it's complete!
  • PRO
    Projectile Ltd
    8 years ago

Good to use a grout sealer when tiled and grouted to keep grout looking good. :-)

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    Mirrored splash back, no grout lines to soak up residues & extends your space visually.
  • Miki
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Moved in and love the result!
  • Deb Xuereb
    8 years ago
    Well done! Looks beautiful.
  • Kate P
    8 years ago

What flooring have you used Miki? Looks lovely!

• cloudpants
    8 years ago
    Stunning. Great choice!
  • Miki
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Recycled jarrah in satin finish
  • Tilly
    7 years ago
    Love your choices so far, I do think that the marble looks awesome but any more will be too much.
    I would now use a glass splash back based on one of the grey colours taken from the marble.
    You could get them to come to your house with all the samples, that way you won't make a mistake.
  • a_scholten
    7 years ago

Have you considered having marble printed onto glass. Glass is a clean easy surface to clean and can be printed with any texture, image or pattern you like.

• ecl24
    7 years ago
    Gorgeous marble. Love it. I wouldn't do subway tiles, too busy and too much grout. I did large gloss white tiles with white grout and it's not hard to clean if you keep it clean as you go along. Which you will do because it's white and shiny and new! I love mine as it doesn't detract at all from my bench top. The marble could be amazeballs but I'd have the same concerns re too much pattern...Good luck and post a pic when you're done!
  • ecl24
    7 years ago
    LOL, only just caught up. Looks fantastic.
  • PRO
    Sun Renovation
    7 years ago

looks good ,I just fee little heavy about the island .the stone about 40 mm or more thick ?

• PRO
    Sun Renovation
    7 years ago

I have see one of glass splash back broken , mass around the kitchen . it s not safety for the kitchen when you just nocked it with in frequency range. may be just one touch , the safety class will became all small pieces .they about $400 /M to install , reinstall will be coast more . marble is the bast , no heat or compact will effect it. cleaning easy. you can use 10 mm thick if valuable .

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    Just use the marble it will look beautiful, people would "kill "for that look.
  • User
    5 years ago
  • margomelb
    5 years ago
    A mirrored glass splashback would look great, easy to clean.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    Agree with cloudpants. I have a black kitchen with the white marble island and I also used the marble as a splash back.
    I like it and it’s easy to clean