Houzz Logo Print
deethie

Thoughts on 'wood-look' tiles?

Jen
8 years ago

We wanted a timber floor but are not that keen on the upkeep required and are a bit scared about the cost (30m2 + about 30m2 in conservatory). Finding estimated costs are difficult due to the vast range in quality in timber plus laying costs seem to be fairly elastic as well. We haven't received any quotes yet - that's next on the list.

But we thought we should look at other options. We have seen wood-look tiles in a display home and they were pretty impressive. The hard-wearing nature is also attractive. I want to have lots of plants in the conservatory and think tiles would be better.

Do people have opinions about this? I'm particularly keen to hear from people who have them in their house...thanks!

Any other flooring suggestions?

Comments (18)

• how2girl
    8 years ago
    I don't have them but my niece has just had them installed in kitchen, scullery & family room. When she initially said she was getting these tiles I have to admit I wasn't that enamoured but am happy to say that they look pretty good.
    The only issues she's mentioned are that they're hard, to stand on (unlike wood), if you drop something it will break, and if you drop something and the tile chips you will see whatever the base ceramic colour is as they aren't coloured all the way through.
    Jen thanked how2girl
  • vickimpond
    8 years ago
    Hi Jen, we had the same dilemma with our floors. We really wanted timber flooring but assumed it was completely out of our price range. We initially had chosen timber look vinyl planks however that product was discontinued & we couldn't find the colour we were after in a different brand. So, I then looked into hardwood timber flooring & soon realised there are so many options to suite every budget. The most affordable options was timber overlay. It's T&G hardwood planks that are only 12mm thick as opposed to 19mm. For 81m2 the quote came in at approx $10,350 for supply, instal, sand & polish. The timber was character grade blackbutt.

We also considered timber veneer & timber look tiles. We didn't go the timber look tiles in the end because our builder wouldn't guarantee the work if he went smaller than a 3mm grout line. We wanted 1.5mm. We also couldn't do the timber overlay as it was too thick. We have recessed stacker doors which had already been installed.

In the end we went with an Alpine Stone tile & I completely regret it.

If you're after a timber look you might consider:
    - Timber look vinyl planks. Be sure to get the thick heavy duty ones.
    - Timber look tiles. If you do go this option I would suggest minimal grout line & go a grout the same shade as the tile or darker. Don't go a lighter grout.
    - T&G hardwood timber overlay 12mm. This is the same as normal T&G but more economical as the planks are 12mm not 19mm.
    - Engineered timber (timber veneer) either floating or direct stick to subfloor. This is a pre finished 5mm veneer so does not require sanding or polishing.

Hope that helps :)

Good Luck!
    Jen thanked vickimpond
  • Sina Nova
    8 years ago

It's all personal choice. Love the look of real wood flooring, the up keep though as you mentioned, is a turn off. We went for the industrial grade floating floor boards, and haven't looked back. BUT if you have lots of plants in there with water/humidity I don't think they would be a viable option. If you go the tiles make sure you check out the slip rating. Have seen some beautiful wood look tiles but they felt very slippery.

Jen thanked Sina Nova
  • woodjay
    8 years ago

We put in a top grade bamboo floating floor at half the price of wood and are very happy with it. Only a few small scratches (due to human error dragging furniture) after 12 months with up to 5 active dogs living inside. Easy care (I have a robotic vacuum cleaner to sweep often) and mop about every 2 weeks. It can be sanded back up to 2 times if necessary. Downside - we have a subfloor combination of wood and concrete. When it is very wet and humid the boards creak a bit over the concrete slab.

Jen thanked woodjay
  • scottevie
    8 years ago

(Sorry to butt in) Lindel can I please see more pics of your bathroom? Have you shared elsewhere?

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone! We are going to look at some wood-look tiles on the weekend (and other things no doubt!). Good tip about the slip rating Sina - thanks!

Love to see more pics of your bathroom too Lindel :)

• Lindel
    8 years ago
    Here's some more bathroom photos...lighting is not great but you get the idea! This room used to be our kitchen. We fought for hours over the initial ideas for our Reno and then the architect asked where we wanted our kitchen! Hadn't even thought about changing the floor plan but we ended up with a big main bathroom, new ensuite and very functional open plan kitchen living and dining. Happy campers!
  • scottevie
    8 years ago

I bet the tub gets well used with that set up. Love the stained glass window. Beautiful!

• Sue Vincent
    8 years ago

Hi Jen. We had our bathroom & laundry done last year with wood look tiles & absolutely love them. Have had so many compliments. We went with a vintage whitewashed look & continues them up the side of the bathtub & the wall behind the tub as a feature wall. Love that they dont show the dirt on the floor & as we are in a heritage stone cottage are very in keeping but with a modern twist

• PRO
    Design Fusion
    8 years ago
    Hardwood are definitely the premium choice. Have a look at quickstep impressive ultra. It is a very affordable floating laminate. It is warrantied for commercial use and is waterproof. It looks great, it has a great texture. Good luck
  • Kylie
    7 years ago

Hi there. I found this thread and thought I'd ask how you got on and what you chose? I am also thinking of the wood look tiles in my Hamptons style renovation. I can't do wood and there is heavy traffic so I want low maintenance. I am just a bit worried about whether they will be slippery or date.

• PRO
    Dion Seminara Architecture
    7 years ago

Hi Jen and everyone else who has made a comment. You always need to consider your personal use in a space, if there is a lot of water involved tiles a definitely the best choice. Timber look alike tiles just like the Hampton style is a bit fashionable at present like many things were before. What is really important is to really love what you select or what someone may select for you. If you love the selections then they will work for you for many years to come and if they are proportionately correct and balanced and not clashing with other choices; suiting your climatic and general environment and effectively in harmony with there surrounds then these choices will work for others too down the track. Poor choices and poor design which is not well thought through is really the true reason for why things seem date or they just do not work. So all in all Jen timber tiles may be the best choice based on what you have told us about your space.

• Sue Vincent
    7 years ago

totally agree with comments above. I absolutely love my timber tiles & have so many many compliments from visitors. I dont believe they will date because they really look like old timber which is so timeless. I am about to do my ensuite in a similar stlye. I have had to choose a slightly different tile as the above was a bit too grey coming through from my bedroom but am hoping the overall look will be very similar. Also to comment - not slippery at all & wonderful at not showing the dirt!

• Kylie
    7 years ago

Thanks you sue. I feel more confident now as all the comments seems so positive. I find the Houzz community so helpful!

• montytaffy
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't even consider any type of timber/bamboo in a conservatory. Every time you had to water a plant you would have to worry about staining/damaging coating and permanent swelling of the timber. Conservatories have traditionally had a stone or tile floor for a reason. Also if you tile on a concrete slab it will act as a heat bank keeping the house warmer in winter. Sun also bleaches exposed timber. The original timber look tile's colours were a bit artificial and this goes for a lot of the vinyl planks. There are a lot of new timber look tiles that have excellent colourings- very realistic or you can go with one with a great wash effect if that's what you like. Yes tiles chip if you drop heavy metal items on them, but timber dings and scratches and so does the vinyl there is no perfect flooring.
  • montytaffy
    7 years ago
    Also in regard to slipping on floor. The timber look tile come in all types of finishes -some have raised grain in the timber and you can buy a non slip exterior version of most of them. Be careful not to get a too rough a finish unless you can hose out as they can get to rough to mop.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    This is one from a luxury accommodation.