Houzz Logo Print
windypop

Want to Reconfigure house layout - advice please

windypop
8 years ago

We designed and built our house about 7 years ago to what we thought was our dream home, with updaters living ares we had lots of space and views and on a good size coastal block. it was going great but now we have 2 kids and after 3 years I'm really regretting the upstairs living/kitchen/master bedroom configuration. It is very normal round this area to have upstairs living but I feel its just not right for us now as a family who loves the outdoors and beautiful backyard we created. Plus the countless times I'm running up and down the stairs from kitchen to laundry to rumpus room etc. i love the location so don't really want to move and we want to keep overall expenditure to a minimum.

So the idea is to knock through a bedroom down stairs to make the rumpus room into a smaller open plan living kitchen/dining space, add a small extension to get another bedroom on but leave the current upstairs entirely as it is, that way when kids are older we have a proper parents retreat and still get to have nice views etc. So what we end up with is a house with 2 kitchens and livings areas. Is this just a crazy idea…!?

Comments (9)