Houzz Logo Print
fb57

Federation Reno do we go major or minor? We are aged 60

fb57
8 years ago
Hi there,
We have a federation house we would love some advice re renovating plus adding granny flat. Question is do we go minor or major Reno?

We need to fix the back part of the house, and would like to make a living area in the the roof space with better stairs than the pull down ladder.

An ideal dream would be an attic living space with bathroom, kitchenette, separate entrance for air B and B or friends. I'm envisaging stairs in the current sunroom with two bottom bits at right angles to each other, one for entrance to stairs from outside through east wall, the other inside the sunroom with sliding door to block off if someone staying upstairs. My wild dreams also see an upstairs deck extending over the current kitchen or beyond over a side extension. Am I nuts? Most likely.

There is a 1930s fibro extension out from where the back porch used to be (see sunroom and bathroom in diagram).
We would like to open this area up and would love to move the bathroom which sits on the east wall and blocks the light. The room would be lovely without it there.
Also at the moment the summer sun bears down so it gets very hot in the back of the house in summer, but is lovely in winter. We would like something that provides shade in summer and warmth in winter. We would also like an outdoor dining area.

My husband is keen on a granny flat to assist us with rental in retirement or help for offspring, and for a granny possibly in the short term. Am keen on something that avoids being a hot box, something that again allows light in winter shade in summer, and air flow, perhaps sloped roof with high window?
It's not a huge block so bit scared.

Questions are open plan at back versus separate rooms?
Do we leave the kitchen or move it?
What would all this cost?

Aims
Move current bathroom
Second bathroom
Fix back Of house to open to outside
Fix roof space
Outside dining area
Shade back and sides of house and let sun in in winter
Get some storage
Granny flat sensitive to the aspect.
Ducted air conditioning
Fix all the holes and gaps that make heating and cooling more expensive

Do we go minor or major house Reno?
We would love to get an idea of cost so can decide do we go major reno with finances assisted by granny flat and upstairs area, or do we go minor, granny flat, and leave kitchen and bathroom as is. We are 60 years old so wanna pay off mortgages in 5 years. I thought with minor reno maybe we could make the existing outside loo bigger to be a second bathroom, and put in a covered deck/ outside room it would then be a part of.

I have uploaded a diagram of the house and the yard, where one square is a square metre.
Any one out there able to help us get some clarity?
Thanks so much

Comments (28)