Houzz Logo Print
libbywilliams66

Black or white?

Libby Williams
8 years ago
I was really excited about painting my dining table a warm white to brighten the place up a bit, but my husband hates the idea. I guess he feels it will be to feminine. He wants to paint the table black. I'm considering agreeing in a high gloss finish. I realise it will be dramatic. I was also planning on painting and reupholstering the dining chairs. I guess with a black table that could be delayed. What do you think? Please add your two cents I. The comments below.

Comments (33)

• figgie helpmate
    8 years ago

Your home looks to have a very interesting interior, what about doing a black and white geometric pattern on the actual top of the table (painting it totally black first and then masking out a geometric pattern) and do the underside of the table legs etc., black. even doing a black top and just a centre of white pattern even, and then glazing the whole for protection. Post pictures whatever you decide if you can, would be interested to see what you come up with.

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Vanessa thanks for the encouragement. Considering Andy is dead set against the white you've helped me feel we're making the right decision. I actually wanted to use this fabric with my dining chairs - (Designers Guild Caprifoglio)

I was thinking white chair frames with this large floral fabric and white table. So now I'm thinking black dining table... and still painting the chair frames white with this upholstery? What do you think?

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Figgie Helpmate WOW! I hadn't considered a geometric black and white pattern. I immediately imagined a harlequin sort of pattern. I love your vision. Nice thinking! I really appreciate your suggestion.

• petapea
    8 years ago

Hi libbywilliams66, you actually have such lovely colours and artwork on the walls, and that beautiful patterned curtain on the bright window there, that I would be inclined to stay plain with the chairs or it might be too much (even though I think the upholstery fabric you have chosen is also beautiful!). If you keep the table and chairs plain, but add shine with painted gloss, and interest with black table and white chairs, then the setting won't compete with the rest of the room, but it won't blend into the background either. You could tie it all together by choosing a block colour for the chairs which pulls in one of the surrounding colours (perhaps your favourite colour!), and even choose a slightly textured fabric for further interest (and touch ability!).

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Petapea yes I'm quite the maximalist. Though that curtain is just a piece of dress fabric I strung up on a whim one day and the big floral canvas is also a piece of dress fabric I pinned to a variety store canvas frame. I would happily replace both if it means the Designers Guild fabric on the dining chairs gets the attention it deserves. That fabric speaks to my soul. When I saw it I knew I'd love it forever.

My walls are actually a light blue colour, although they may look white in the shots. So the blue background in the caprifoglio fabric will sit quite nicely.

I guess I'm attached to this fabric choice.

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My attachment to this fabric aside petapea I totally see what your saying and agree it would be beautiful. Thank you.

• Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    8 years ago

paint it full gloss red!

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol Melbourne1944. Thanks for the thought :)

• Carol Ann
    8 years ago

Looking at your lovely home and your choice of fabric I was struck with the eclectic mix of colours and paintings you have a style of your own happening there and it works well. Then I looked at your fabric photos did you notice that both the lounge and the chair are a subdued colour, would the white or the black be too stark too bright to compliment the fabric? Would those colours change your perception of the overall look you are wanting to achieve? I saw a photo of a round table painted a warm grey (a compromise between the black and white) it had the table edge left in the timber colour to add warmth... now it sounds not so nice but it looked great, this would leave you with a softer backdrop for your fabric more in keeping with the photos. Another option taken from your lovely picture gallery is to paint the table in either black or white have plain chair cushions in the opposite colour and then use your fabric for a table runner and stretch it over canvas as you have done for a painting, you could even if you wished have your lounge room curtain in the fabric?

• annie4883
    8 years ago

I absolutely love that chair! It's so gorgeous I would use that fabric and also try to imitate that antique paint finish on your table and chairs. That would actually blend in better than stark white or black. Having done that I would then get everything else to fit in with that theme even if it meant toning down my wall pictures and replacing the living room curtains and cushions with the same fabric.

• PRO
    Brilliant Design Concepts
    8 years ago

Hi libby,

What a beautiful fabric!! I love designer Guild Fabrics. You have a gorgeous eclectic interior. My thoughts are, please before you paint a commercial brand paint consider Porters Paint the colours are soft which will compliment the mood of room. My suggestion would be a milk or chalk paint with a wax finish.

http://www.porterspaints.com/paints/paint-selector/interior/furniture/wooden--unpainted-

Colour Antique Blue, Black Blue, or Mariner

Link http://www.porterspaints.com/world-of-colours/porters-colours/greens--blues

Utube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAtGkn3lfs

• denisreno
    8 years ago

Sorry - I haven't read all the comments yet but I think, if you are not in agreement about it, why not paint the table top white - to lighten it up, and the leg black? OR, with all the art work you have around - makes me think you are artists - so do a painting a similar size as the table top (unless you want to paint directly on to that) and put some round glass over it to preserve - OR (Sorry!) get some material in the colours you're thinking of and throw that over the table and have a bit of an experiment - cloth can be cheap. Then you could put the same thing over the chairs. The whole place looks so eclectic - and bright - that you could really go for any colour of any material. You only need to staple or pin material to the chairs. And, this is a bit out there for me, but there are some really good plastic 'materials' (for want of a better word) that you could put over your table like the plastic tableclothes we had when we were little so we didn't mess up the furniture. With all the artwork on the wall I think almorst anything would work in that room. Happy deciding! and have fun.

• christaline
    8 years ago

Hi There,

Personally I would go white table (which would make the table stand out in the room) with black chairs and the beautiful floral fabric. The black would show up the floral pattern, but make the chairs disappear when tucked under the table, making the room look a little bigger. I think geometric patterns would be too much as all your artwork is florally.

• KK1000
    8 years ago
    Looks like you like colour, then black table if you have to and the lightest green colour in the fabric you want to use , for the chairs and the fabric of your choice, that would be fresh and different.
  • miii
    8 years ago
    I would paint the table light blue and the chairs white or very light green
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    8 years ago

Take a colour from the artwork on the nearby wall.

• brennz
    8 years ago
    You have some beautiful pinky, fuschia tones in the curtains, art & cushions. A soft chalky white table with pinky chairs would complement your lovely green chair seats & anchor the room. Not for the faint hearted though !! Please post your final choices, I'd love to see the project finished.
  • dohraime
    8 years ago
    Another alternative to black, Pewter.
    This is a table painted black and finished with pewter metallic wax.
    Chairs frames are not pewter but the upholstery gives them a metallic cast, so I added photo for example anyway.
    Last table looks to still have wood grain coming through.
  • wuff
    8 years ago
    Hi Libby, I painted my similar style table in white chalk paint with a wax finish..I am very happy with it..did you decide on what to do. I really like the pewter colour above as well.
  • Libby Williams
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay! We've made some progress. I painted my dining white and thank goodness I did because I have a narrow little Victorian single story terrace and I need to reflect as much light as possible.

Heres the befores

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Looking forward to updates
  • Jen Osborne
    7 years ago

Updates?

• Libby Williams
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes time for some updates. I painted the table white but had the chairs finished in matt black with a gorgeous velvet fabric from designers guild. It cost a small fortune but was worth it. I've also updated the gallery wall so it's more cohesive and added some new living room furnishings. I'm so happy with the outcome.
  • Libby Williams
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I also painted the bookcase to match the table. The last piece of art for the gallery wall is currently at the framers.
  • Libby Williams
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Love it
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Love the chairs, to protect the table get a piece of glass in the same size or even little bit bigger then table top.
    Libby Williams thanked KK1000
  • cloudpants
    7 years ago
    Thank you Libby, it is always fabulous to see updates. Your place looks warm and inviting. You should feature in a Houzz tour!
    Libby Williams thanked cloudpants
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Ps, I love glass and mirrors because they bounce the light and glass surface has life in it, it always reflects something.
    Libby Williams thanked KK1000
  • Jen Osborne
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Wonderful! I was curious to know what you did as I have a very similar table and was thinking of painting it white as it doesn't go with my new floor. I was hesitant but now know it is the way to go!

Libby Williams thanked Jen Osborne
  • PRO
    Cordony Group
    7 years ago

The white is much more timeless & allows for all the other patterns to stand out! Good job!

Libby Williams thanked Cordony Group
  • denisreno
    7 years ago

Congratulations! Glad you took my suggestion about the table.

Libby Williams thanked denisreno