Houzz Logo Print
1010daman

What to do for bulkhead design in a 3.3m ceiling kitchen

1010daman
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My kitchen, dining, living room ceiling will be 3.3m in an open plan design. I'm currently designing the kitchen cabinets and the bulkhead is looking too big and thick. Benchtop height is 90cm, splash back is 80 cm and overhead cupboards are 90 cm. That still leaves me with 70cm for the bulkhead. Is this going to look too big? I would have lowered the splash back to 70 cm but that would mean the bulkhead would be 80 cm. 70 cm would be ideal for the overhead cupboards to start as I am only 1.5m in height and 80 cm would make it a stretch for me to reach into the cupboards over the bench top. I am trying to work out the best proportion for the overall look. I could lower the ceiling in the kitchen to 3m but this is extra cost. Am trying to look at alternatives before I resort to lowering the ceiling with a bulkhead. The current design has the bulkhead and cupboards flushed with each other with only a 10mm shadow line separating the 2. I've seen many designs where the bulkhead protrudes out and wonder if this is better. Cupboards and bulkhead will be in a white colour to merge them. Any experiences, suggestions and ideas will be appreciated :) Thanks!

Comments (7)