Houzz Logo Print
eleanorgreen1

$1.195mil beachfront townhouse a 90's time capsule!

eleanorgreen1
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Looking to spend 250-300K on a renovation to change everything- Unsure of what style to go for - would love to hear some ideas. Located in Cullen Bay, Australia .

Beach views at the front and Marina views at the back.

Furniture featured in photos was not mine but belonged to the the previous owners.

Currently tenanted full time - however when it was rented as a Holiday rental it was achieving $550-$620 a night as it is one of the only true beachfront properties in the NT- really want to take advantage of it!

3 bedroom+ 3 bathroom.

Thanks

Comments (16)

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

Not at all sure what you want. What is it about the current house you need to change? The pictures show you've got nice views, but they don't show much more. Pix of bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms would help.

eleanorgreen1 thanked jmm1837
  • Jen
    7 years ago

If you are spending that much I'd spend some of it to get some advice. Also there are some stunning houses in that area - you could see what other styles you like by looking at the properties near by. Personally I think it would look amazing in a more traditional NT 'bungalow' style. But you might want something more modern.

eleanorgreen1 thanked Jen
  • eleanorgreen1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will certainly be getting professional design advice but am just at the ideas stage at the moment. For my last construction project last year in Berry Springs of a four bedroom house I got a designer involved very early on and didnt really have time to develop a clear vision of what I wanted and ended up getting someone else's dream home. The house I actually live in at the moment on Cullen Bay marina is pretty much exactly what you describe with the modern bungalow style so looking to do something different for this townhouse. Possibly sleek and subtle coastal vibes. I havent really put photos up but the beach only meters from the front doorstep has very white sand and turquoise water so I dont think a very airy and light white colour scheme for the interior would be too bad. Thanks for your comment Jen!

• Jacinta O'Brien
    7 years ago
    What your asking for is exactly what Houzz is for! Search for key words and look at the photos. You'll soon have an idea of what you like and what you don't.
    eleanorgreen1 thanked Jacinta O'Brien
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

What Jacinta said, but save the photos you like to ideabooks labelled for each room and the exterior. Then post individual dilemmas for each one. Houzzers can help.

eleanorgreen1 thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • eleanorgreen1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks jacinta and tribbletrouble ... already got my ideabooks sorted, I was just interested to hear what other peoples ideas would be. Cheers

• PRO
    Manias Associates Building Designers
    7 years ago

Hi eleanorgreen1

It appears to be a magnificent house with loads of potential, bit hard to see from the photos you have posted the full extent of the house but it certainly has presence.

I can fully understand your experience with your last project;

"didn't really have time to develop a clear vision of what I wanted and ended up getting someone else's dream home"

It can happen, as often clients and Building Designers have an end date in mind, rather than an end goal which drives the project. I think that you are taking the right approach in terms of trying to determine your design goal, then you can always incorporate other design ideas that may improve the project, when you have a clear understanding of what you are trying to achieve.

My suggestion is that you might like to have a design approach with maybe more than one designer, and make it very clear that the contract for Building Design is for "Design Development only" - (with Town Planning requirements considerations if required).

This would mean that you have drawings which are to scale, with all plans and elevations with all furniture placements so as to obtain a clear understanding of how the space works for the intended use. You will also need 3D views of the proposed changes/renovations to gain a good understanding of the proposal.

When you have finally decided on the design/designer you are happy with you can get him/her to do the Town Planning Application (if required) and working drawings for a Building Permit which will be required for any building work.

For this you will need accurate drawings of existing conditions, a 2D measure up and drawn to scale with levels, if the site is sloping. This can be done by any competent Building Designer or Drafts person - just make sure that you make it clear that is all that is required, and that the the position of windows and walls are included from adjoining buildings as you do not want to overshadow nor have other overlooking on your site. Then you have to include a fairly competent photo survey of the building, so that the person doing the design has a good understanding of the house. Static photos of all the external and internal areas are often better than a video.

When you have that information in hand you can then have a varied and hopefully fruitful discussion with someone offering you Design Advice. You can email or post the 2D files in PDF or DXF format to any Building Designer that is online and you have developed some understanding of your proposal. It is sometimes better to choose someone you find easy to talk to, and you feel he/she has your point of view, is often better that someone that has great photos on their website with equally great claims.

All this can be done online, with any Building Designer of your choice, as the resultant drawings can all be PDF's files that can be printed on any small printer or viewed on any tablet/computer. And as you have stated above you have allowed time to reach a decision by having the building rented until you are sure of your next step.

Basically you are breaking up the design stages that generally are followed in the Building Design process to achieve your goals. Like all processes there are more details, but if you are clear in your instructions and agreements with whom you employ I do not see any reason this is not achievable.

I like the idea that you are looking for something that you prefer, rather than an imposed design.

I wish you well with your approach, I would be happy to be further involved with the proposal.

Michael Manias

Manias Associates Building Designers.

eleanorgreen1 thanked Manias Associates Building Designers
  • suzineedsahouse
    7 years ago

Well - I'm down the road and the quote I got for my 2.2 m x 2.1m bathroom reno was $60K so I'm thinking for $300K for tradies in Darwin on that place you aren't gonna get much. It is cheaper (for kitchens) to measure and get a flat pack sent up from south, find a tradie, fly them up (business class), send them out on some fishing charters, feed them beer, get some nice accommodation for them AND have them build the kitchen and it is still cheaper then local trades. Just sayin....(I have so much more but this is my rant platform...once I start I don't usually stop)...

7 years ago

I'm interested, Suzi!

• suzineedsahouse
    7 years ago

Trek - I know plenty who have done just that. Fly the tradies in...they have trucked their tools up and flat packed a designer kitchen in. It's put in in a week...they are paid, housed, fished and beered! All midwinter down south and midsummer up here! What more could you ask for...know any good bathroom renovators/tilers??

7 years ago

Not in my country town, they all have waiting lists. No wonder heaps of houses advertised for sale here were last decorated in the eighties.

• eleanorgreen1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks guys -My parents own a construction company here in Darwin so I am aware of costs -Our tradies will be doing all the works. Just looking for design ideas from all the clever houzz people out there. Its 300k approx as all works will be done for cost ie : no profit as its an asset owned by my parents.

• PRO
    Manias Associates Building Designers
    7 years ago

Hi eleanorgreen1,

Well that's a good position to be in as far as Building the proposed alterations - to come up with some ideas it would be helpful if you could post on the Huzz website the plan of the existing house with a north point and a few more photos. Showing where the views are would also help, then it would be easier to get a feel for the place and maybe contribute a few ideas. A small brief detailing your expectations would also help in getting an understanding of your position.

Its much easier, and less expensive to change drawings than to change the building - so if you eventually come up with a couple of design proposals then maybe it may help you to get to a better solution.

Regards

Michael Manias

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Hi Suzi, I love a good rant and that was gold...not a lot of difference in regional WA, while the mining boom was at its peak home renovators were held to ransom ..only slightly better now but at least there are some trades available. When I look at USA and uk shows on TV for having work done...I grimace ..can't get a quote for that here
  • cloudpants
    7 years ago
    I grew up in Larrakeyah and every time I visit Mum (Fannie Bay now) am always amazed at the changing face of Darwin suburbs. There was nothing at Cullen Bay years ago. Glad you are thinking about designing with your environment in mind. A lot of post-cyclone houses didn't consider air flow, views & flora to use to their best advantage.
    eleanorgreen1 thanked cloudpants