Houzz Logo Print
discodeniz

Fitting a large family in a small dining room

De Niz
7 years ago

Hello! So, we are a family of six and this is our dining room. The baby sits in the high chair and our three kids (4-7 yr olds) and us at the table. This set up had worked because we can squish around a round table better than a rectangular table. Very often we have my parents over for dinner and for the next few months my in laws are staying with us too. As you would imagine it is a tight squeeze, often with a couple people eating separately. We want to buy a new dining table but as you can see from the photos the dilemma is not only the small space (that wall is 2.4m wide) but three sides of the room are accessible - one side in the kitchen, one the living room and the other goes to the backyard. PLUS we have a baby gate leading to the living room which only opens from the CENTRE of the gate so we can't block that off. We were thinking a long rectangular table with benches that we can tuck under and push the whole thing up to the wall when's not in use. What do you think? Any other ideas or suggestions? I might add that the wall art is in the wrong place purely because there was already a nail in the wall in that spot - I can move that! Thanks in advance guys!

Comments (6)