Houzz Logo Print
louisems89

Really really really need help!

Louise
7 years ago

Ok so as the subject says, I REALLY need help because we are seriously stuck!! We’re building our kitchen and I thought we knew what we wanted, but when we left the cabinet designer yesterday I was feeling totally confused and stressed about colour choices....

We were supposed to have picked the kitchen bench top (caesarstone) and the cabinet colours there, as well as the bathroom vanities but I’ve asked for more time.

The colours I am ultimately aiming for are earthy tones (browns and creams) because I think we’ll paint the walls a nice very light brown -- but should I go light countertops and darker cabinets underneath or the other way around? And then I was thinking lighter brown wall cabinets..? And then I have to think about a splash back... arghhh just totally confused.

Any help at all would be most sincerely appreciated!! Even just an opinion. To give you an idea of the kitchen plan, I’ve attached a similar design below, except our floor will be large glossy creamy tiles.

Thank you!!

Comments (27)

• longbeachgrannyflat
    7 years ago
    Can you post a picture of your tile, creamy could have a number of base tones.
  • Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi there,

This tile:

• Related Discussions

Really need some help to decide with my SPLASHBACK

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, we recently built a home with a gorgeous white kitchen and bar with smokey mirror splash backs. Fair to say it has lots of wow factor and our clients tell us about the numerous compliments they receive. Cleaning isn't as much of a problem as you would think with this product. Here's a pic, and there are more on our page in 'Projects' and ' Linwood St Development'. Good luck! Creative Home Plus
    ...See More

really need advice to settle argument about tile colour

Q

Comments (4)
    Bluestone is beautiful and a dark colour is good for entry. Does the entry get a lot of natural light? If not you may be right to use a lighter colour. Can't settle your argument sorry.
    ...See More

Really need help with combining tile colours in bathroom and how?

Q

Comments (8)
    I am just wondering whether it is a good thing or not to go with solid colours like the dark blue (prussian blue), grey floors and white on other walls all in tiles. I see that a lot of designers seem to do a pattern on one wall, but I haven't found one suitable and whatever I do, I just don't want it to look out of date in 5 years time. I am not sure how about much of the prussian blue tile is appropriate in order for it to be noticeable but not too overpowering.
    ...See More

Does a house really need a front door?

Q

Comments (3)
    Almost all of my life I have lived without a proper front door. Just building now and have an entrance for us and a proper front door for everyone else! Can't wait.
    ...See More
  • Vy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

here is some photos to help you choose..I do like the lighter configuration ..like you I love earthy tones

not too keen on this one looked too dark ..

loved this one feels airy and light

this is nice too not too dark and oppressive

Louise thanked Vy
  • PRO
    Photografx
    7 years ago

We photograph houses everyday and the kitchen is the soul of the house. I believe that each room should flow from one to the next telling a story. I am a big fan of earthy colours. Having different textures brought in can be very useful to help break it all up . We have lots of different kitchens we have shot that you may find helpful.

Kitchen · More Info

Louise thanked Photografx
  • Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for all your help everyone! Definitely some great ideas to take into account.

In terms of the caesarstone bench top - what do you think of “wild rice”?

• Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also, is it too "mis-matchy” to have a different benchtop to the island and the wall workspace? Or should I keep them the same?

• Donna
    7 years ago
    We are currently building and like you like neutral earthy tones.
  • Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow! Very nice!! I love the layout.

• Vy
    7 years ago

I'd keep same colour for island bench or use different material like Caesarstone for wall benches and timber top for island bench etc

Louise thanked Vy
  • clikmania
    7 years ago
    Hi Louise - I had exactly the same problem recently and for advice from here too!! I really didn't want a white kitchen and I also love earthy neutral tones - it took me 6 months (yes - 6 months!!) to settle on colours as we have a timber floor and I didn't want it to clash - ended up going with Laminex Sorrel on the base units side of our galley kitchen and Fossil in a riven (textured) finish on the side with full height cabinets. It's Smartstone Naxos benchtop. We absolutely love it - some people may find it dark (photos taken at night so no light coming thru window!!) but we love the look and find it has soul and warmth :) I've attached a photo before the splash back was installed - can attach another Friday after they've finished installing the splash back. I think yours would like good having a lighter wood textured finish one side and the fossil the other as you have a light floor... Just my opinion!!!
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi Louise, you sound like you're going through the renovation wringer!

Without knowing your styling preference, I'd suggest you look through various kitchen photos to find the ''look'' you want. You can free download 101 Kitchen & Bathroom Design Ideas if you're looking for colour inspiration.

Good luck! Richard@themakeovergroup

Louise thanked User
  • Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi clikmania --6 months!! I can definitely understand why it took that long though, a kitchen is definitely a “make or break” feature of the house (which is why I have been agonising over all the choices). I love what you are doing with your kitchen, especially the light colour choice contrasting under the bench top. The cabinets on the opposite wall look great as it’s modern yet still really earthy and warm. Would definitely love to see the backsplash as well when it goes in!

Vy - the timber top for the island is also a great idea :)

• Vy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

this is my kitchen I've got polished concrete..top is granite Galaxy black with gold specks to match my cabinets Elusive Gold (Dulux) and Southern Cross glass tiles splash back..

still loving it ..looks nice and warm and cheery :)

• Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the bench top! Your kitchen has a really nice character :) I think we actually picked the same handles. Also the stove placement is really unique - love it

• dohraime
    7 years ago

Louise, is the entrance photo featuring the tiles your home? It has a nice contrast of light warm tones and dark wood.

The kitchen in the "wild rice" pic you posted above would tie in very nicely.

Louise thanked dohraime
  • PRO
    Arcke Pty Ltd
    7 years ago

I think you can do two bench tops, but not two colours of caesarstone if that makes sense. You could do stainless steel around the sink with a c'stone island or solid wood island, or vice versa, but just personally, I think you should stick with one colour c'stone and come up with variations in the laminex joinery. What are your floors?

Louise thanked Arcke Pty Ltd
  • Vy
    7 years ago

I had no choice Louise..as the other wall is floor to ceiling cupboards..the other end is the sink..

this is the view from my living area :) there's steps going up on the left hand side the door opens to the pantry

• Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dohraime - Yes those are our tiles :) Would have liked wood but that would have blown the budget. I agree! I think I might go with Wild Rice, however I am also considering Shitake (below) - what would be your choice?

Arcke - Thanks for your advice! I've taken that on board and will stick to the same caesarstone benchtops. The floors are similar to the tiles below:

If I go for the Wild Rice or Shitake caesarstone, what would your opinion be on a backsplash..?

Thank you everyone!!!! :)

• Vy
    7 years ago

get a sample of the Caesarstones you're interested in..take it to a tile store and prop your splash back tiles against it..loved the photo of your example..

• Vy
    7 years ago

you could do a Morrocan splash back that way you can introduce other colours into your kitchen..also the pattern will liven it up too

Louise thanked Vy
  • PRO
    Turnstyle Living
    7 years ago

Aside from how you want your kitchen to function, you need to consider what depths and hues can do for a space. Basically if you have high ceilings, darker cabinetry for your overheads can really draw the eye upward and highlight the feature but if your ceilings are standard it can feel heavy and encroach the negative space. Lighter overheads will reflect the light so the negative space will feel larger.

Dark colours are also used to create depth in a room, to draw it back further visually.
    In my opinion darker lowers would work if you like the two tone look, it will break up the light flooring.
    Keep in mind you don't have to use colours that are contrasting, try pulling samples together that are a few shades deeper in harmonious hues, much like your picture provided.

When it comes to the splash back you can opt for a texture in similar colour family to create interest without adding too many colours. Perhaps a penny round, hexagon, hand made subway or the same stone you choose for the benches.

Don't stress about paint colours right now as there are thousands that you can choose to complement your kitchen.
    Hope this helps!

• Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your advice! We do have high ceilings - so in that case what I’m thinking of doing is having the cream tiles, with brown caesarstone bench tops (most likely Wild Rice) and light bottom cabinets/drawers...in a warm white? (I know that you said darker lowers would help break up the light flooring however I’m not sure if that will look good with the dark brown bench tops?) But then for the higher cabinets have them dark brown to bring the eye upwards like you said.

Does this sound ok?

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    The wild rice photo looks lovely Notice the kick boards are not white so break up the light floor and light bottom cabinets
    Also love the green splashback in photo Vy? Posted Apple/yellow greens go beautiful with dark browns
    Louise thanked girlguides
  • Louise
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How about I do the island bench bottom a brown to break it up from the floor, but keep lower cabinets on the wall a cream?

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    We went for a concrete look Caesarstone, with river teak laminex cupboards
  • Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    Hi :)
    I would go with the darker cabinetry a slighter bench tops :) hope that helps as I'm currently going through the same process with my kitchen. We have dark polished concrete floor so we went with a Matt white base cabinetry and concrete ceaser stone bench tops :)