Houzz Logo Print
uyenvy_le

To reupholster or not ?

Vy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Would you reupholster ? I'm in the process of getting quotes for my chairs to be reupholstered..they are made of hard wood and sentiments aside not sure if we can get the same quality now..

The leather I've chosen is 60% of the total price of reupholstering..so the total cost for each chair = $650 each excluding timber repairs

Reupholster them ..I can't do without them
Pop them on eBay and use the money on a new suite
Choose a cheaper leather so not too expensive to reupholster
Too hard basket

Nola
    6 years ago
    If you love the chairs go for it you'll be disappointed with new ones with no character .
    Vy thanked Nola
  • Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nola..:) I am she's found a leather that's slightly cheaper for me :)

• Related Discussions

Q

I agree with a few other responses that recommend a solid color for the fabric for the chair cushions. While the fabric could be textured for interest, I would go with a solid. Perhaps the teal blue of the ikat fabric print you love so much. I have made many decorating mistakes by selecting print fabrics. You do grow tired of them and they do limit decorating possibilities. They also can add to a cluttered look if you like to have a lot of decorative items or wall art. I would definitely stick with the solid and make throw pillow covers to use elsewhere in the room out of the ikat fabrics.
    ...See More

Modern furniture and accessories with Queen Anne antique lounge ?

Q

If you love it you should keep it. Off white or similar plain fabric sounds great. I would use the chairs as accent pieces in separate rooms and pair the couch with modern/mid century chairs that have clean lines and legs to give a sense of space underneath them. These could be a different accent colour or work back with the same tones as the couch depending on other pieces. You could stain the legs of these to work with the wood tones on your couch. Good luck would love to see the finished room.
    ...See More

reupholstering 4 dining room chairs. need help chosing fabric

Q

They sound nice! Try looking up Florence Broadhurst fabric online if you like a botanical or geometric look, very elegant designs in black and white.
    ...See More

Thinking of throwing out your old sofa out...think again!

Q

It's really pretty! But it is still so expensive I am sorry to say. I mean I just bought a pristine leather sofa from a grandmother off eBay for $300. I do this every other year and only get really good items, just waiting for the right thing.
    ...See More
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

Terrific!!

• Kim Westwood
    6 years ago

if the bones are in good condition I would definately reupholster. I reupholstered our 2 2 seater lounges a few years back. the guy who gave me the quote said both were in great condition so it was worthwhile reupholstering. So from a country look I went a brighter simpler look. I am still happy with the result and the lounges are so very comfortable.

Vy thanked Kim Westwood
  • Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kim :) nice :)

just asked the second mob to clarify their quote lol turned out they are like $ 400-500 more expensive lol as they didn't include clean and oil..it's an extra lol

• Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

the clay looks like a near perfect match at around $200 cheaper per hide ..so $600 less

• minjeeah
    6 years ago

Idk if i would reupholster the chair!

What do you think???

• fiona
    6 years ago
    Dog and vy there is a fantastic upholsterer in torquay too. I can forward his number if you like? x
  • fiona
    6 years ago
    damn autocorrect! Dmg NOT dog :(
  • minjeeah
    6 years ago

Flona_mcd what does Dmg stand for???

matthews mcdonald architects
    6 years ago

Don't listen to the 'outdated' comments... these chairs look classic 70's-80s good quality... they obviously mean a lot to you. For what its worth? Our opinion: keep them as they are, all that is 'out of style' will be in style again. Story - in the 80's I grabbed two 30 year old Grant Featherston Contour (designed early 50's) chairs off my parent's trailer destined for the tip... everyone on my family said they were outdated! ha ha ha!

Vy thanked matthews mcdonald architects
  • Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fiona that would be great..chairs are based in Melbourne though..not sure if I can be bothered carting them down here ..

though could I please grab it just in case I need stuff done down here ?

• Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Matthews McDonald hehehe thanks for the vouch of confidence ..they never used to but now that I am older I do think differently and my pet hate is poor quality of workmanship ..happy to pay if I get the quality I want..

• fiona
    6 years ago
    +61 467 569 916 rob casha. He reupholstered vintage cars as well. Beautiful work. Tell him fiona sent you :) and I love the chairs too x
    Vy thanked fiona
  • Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks Fiona much appreciated

• dmg72
    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the Torquay based upholsterer Fiona. I will keep for future work. Had a vintage lounge suite reupholstered in excellent fabric (colour change from traditional deep green & burgundy to beautiful blue), minimal old wood panels removed from arms by Banksia Lounges in Geelong. A solid craftsman made suite is transformed, sooo comfortable and lives on . . .

• fiona
    6 years ago
    minjeeah it is one of the members' names :) so I did not want to be addressing them as a canine!
  • minjeeah
    6 years ago

What do you mean Florna_mcd? Sorry!

• Julie Walton
    6 years ago
    I'd leave them as is. Hang onto them. They will be back in fashion before you know it.
    Vy thanked Julie Walton
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

Caramel leather is in fashion right now.

vy, gee you have a lot of votes! Upholstering seems to be winning so far!

• Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tribbletrouble...yes it is...popped another email to the upholsterer to see how much it would cost stripped and polished..not important ..interesting to know..

might just get it reupholstered and timber cleaned and oil only..that way some character still but comfy new seats.

• megadeath
    6 years ago

Leave exactly as they are if you are not fully decided. Next year...maybe

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

I would do what megadeath says. Anything they say. They may have a scythe.

• how2girl
    6 years ago
    Nick Menza, former drummer of thrash metal band Megadeath, died on stage 1 week ago today.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

And yet he is here on Houzz. How did he die?

• how2girl
    6 years ago

Years of tee totaling, exercise, healthy diet & bible class. He had a heart attack on stage.

• suzineedsahouse
    6 years ago

jeez...I now know how I am going to go! Must avoid drumming on stage for a while.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

If anyone says "it's all right, it's just a stage", run!!

h2g, I think you might be pulling my leg about his lifestyle?

• how2girl
    6 years ago
    @tribble You might be right, but apparently had been "clean" for 8 years.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

Well if the health regime didn't help him, hopefully the bible class helped him in the afterlife.

• Vy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

every time I sit on the dining chair I want them redone..at the moment I'm attempted to buy a new body..lol walked into Michael's today and got sweet talked into one lol so the reupholstering might have to wait..

• Ekayla Latham
    6 years ago
    Ek
  • Pam Rolley Celebrant
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thought I'd just add a bit about Nore Furniture (for posterity if nothing else). As others have said above Nore was in Bayswater Victoria & the designer-furniture-cabinet maker was Norman Archibald. Pieces (chair & Ottoman - 'Tuk' Collection design) are in NGV & I think there maybe a donated collection in the Powerhouse. Tessa was also popular around the same time. Their styling & other furniture makers of the early to mid seventies evolved from the Scandanavian Danish design style whereas Nore was something new. They were part of the 'Australian' design movement which emerged in 1970s. Nore used Howe leather (first quality & full skins). The wood was Australian Ash (Eucalyptus Regnans). This was also called Tasmanian Ash/Oak,Mountain/Alpine Ash, Swamp Gum etc. Basically Victorian, Tasmanian timbers. In some they 'stained' the timbers used to match the leathers. The furntiture style was heavy or solid style, maybe even rustic with handsewn as well as machine stitching. It was distinctive & uniquely Australian which went on to influence O.S . The U.S picked up the style, particularly tables. Nore was invited & went to the Hanover Furniture Fair which took an Australian, handmade, arts/crafts movement product overseas to an elite international fair. There was I believe a relationship with Tessa as once Nore closed they repaired Nore & an old Tessa (very early) website had a section about Nore furniture. I know Nore changed their name for a period (Novara??) . It was/is very large furniture fitting the 70s high cathedral ceilings, mudbrick etc etc. You can see the influence in Nicholas Dattner furniture & other 'artisan' Australian furniture. It was built to last - generations. It is not popular with the mass market/collectors ...yet. It may take another generation but as with many items they end up on scrap heaps until discovered again.My collection had to be split but 4 large wall units, with glass doors, found a home with an artist who was quoted $3500 -$4000 to build 'one' unit. I sold all for $200 as I wanted them to survive. I still have & use the 7'6" refectory table & matching leather timber chairs, lamp & coffee tables. The lounge suite & ottoman went 'out' & disappeared from roadside within an hour. It was expensive, desired furniture in it's day & opposite style to Victorian which was 'the' collectable. (A wall unit about $1000 -$1500, Dining table similiar) You can still find on ebay etc as pieces would be now part of estates, downsizing or simply regarded as not midcentury danish style which is in. I think I'll go & polish my table.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    6 years ago

70s style is back in, so don't get rid of your stuff, Pam!

• dmg72
    6 years ago

Thank-you Pam with your accurate input of the history of Nore Furniture. It was interesting to read again and motivated me to find my original receipts, research, and notes from viewing the furniture in the NGV.

In 1983 our Nore 7 piece Dining Suite cost $2,590; the five piece Lounge Suite cost $3,380; the three heavy solid wall units cost $4,500 ($1,500 each). All furniture is still serving its purpose & cared for. Now that my husband is retired and set up with all his 'Festool' German made polishing & sanding machines, I hope to convince him to remove the medium stain, back to the original blonde Tasmanian Oak/Mountain Ash and allow me to change the avocado beautiful Howe leathers to another colour.

The Howe leather originally came with a five year warranty - still good after 35 years!

I have searched for more pieces but without success. No one seemed to know the designer or Nore brand. So lovely to read your contribution for prosperity. I will just have to regularly search on ebay?

Thank-you Pam. I will not get rid of my stuff as advised by Tribbletrouble. :)

• Pam Rolley Celebrant
    6 years ago

Yes look ebay. Occasionally they pop up in auction or furniture retail. When I had to split I spoke to mid century specialists & they knew appreciated but practically could not store until market demands them. If you search Nore furniture from time to time you will find - Gumtree & other 'get rid of' prices. As living spaces become smaller they will not suit many, but they epitomise the Australian design 'handcrafted' movement of the mid to late 70s. Nore is listed in the Australian Art & Design database https://www.daao.org.au/bio/group/nore/  Denheld Industrial Design claim they did the first industrial design prototype for 'Nore' furniture 'Navara' (not Novara) & Tessa - the implication being they were working together. They said 'they were designed for comfort, generous proportions with hand rubbed native woods & crafted leathers'. http://denheldid.com

• narchibald33
    5 years ago

Pam,

Quite a lot of what you have said is correct, but not all.

Norman Archibald was the sole designer of the Nore Range of furniture, Denheld had no input whatever. He was employed by Nore for a period to produce components only.

Novara furniture was manufactured by a Robert Ives who stole and copied Nore designs after 1984. In 2008, Robert Ives was disqualified as a director for 3 years by Asic for operating a "Phoenix arrangement".

Nore furniture ended manufacturing in 1985

Nore was chosen as one of 7 Australian furniture manufacturers to represent Australia at the Cologne International Furniture Fair in 1980, not Hanover.

How do I know all this you ask, my name is Norman Archibald, designer and maker of Nore Furniture.

The basis of my designs was to utilize an Australian timber (Victorian Ash) and Australian leathers (Howe Leather) Both very much underrated when I first began making furniture.

My endeavour was to produce a range of furniture that could be passed onto future generations. (Solid Vic Ash timber, Howe leather etc)

You will note eg., the many cabinets I produced showed no hardware such as door pulls or obvious hinges (I designed and made my own hinges which were almost completely hidden) and the doors on the cabinets were opened and closed with Italian touch catches.

Both door hardware and hinges are inclined to date furniture.

Pam, you are correct, Nore does appear on Ebay and Gumtree from time to time, mostly lounge furniture.

It seems people hang onto most of the other furniture in the range that consisted of Lounge, dining, occasional, bar room, bedroom and many other pieces including custom built pieces.

Anyway, enough of that.

To those who currently own my furniture, I`m glad you still appreciate same. I spent many a sleepless night developing the range and loved every minute of both designing and making same.

Norman Archibald.

Vy thanked narchibald33
  • dmg72
    5 years ago

How wonderful to read your surprise and so important contribution Norman Archibald! Thank-you for your beautiful furniture range that has graced our homes since 1983. We continue to enjoy your solid wall units with Italian touch catches still working perfectly (three), comfortable dining suite and lounge suite all retired and happy in Barwon Heads. The Howe Leather in pastel advocado green is supple, comfortable and still going strong. We considered our purchase of your furniture to be a future investment for our family - to pass down an artisan, beautiful, unique furniture designed and made by yourself! We are now Grandparents and our 36 year old adult son, visiting over Easter from Perth, indicated he loved the solid well-made furniture, so a new future home is assured :) Thank-you so much for spending many a sleepless night developing the range, designing and making beautiful furniture. Your Norman Archibald Nore furniture lives on :)

Vy thanked dmg72
  • narchibald33
    5 years ago

Thank you for your kind words dmg72, you have made my day.

Back prior to 2007 I began making furniture at home with one of my son`s.

One of the units I made (which was one of my favourite pieces) was my buffet and hutch unit finished as natural Vic. Ash, something I had wanted to do for many years.

I lost that unit, my home and all my possessions to the black Saturday bushfires.

Back when I began making furniture, homes were very much dark stained beams and dark interiors which required furniture timbers that reflected the homes at the time, hence the stained timbers etc.

My preference was to finish the timber in it`s natural colour, but wasn't readily accepted at the time.

My biggest selling leather colour eg., was Aubergine, which as you know was a darkish colour with a hint of red.

Aubergine was exclusive to Nore for many years as it was originally produced by Howe at my request.

I handed John Menzies (Howe and Co`s CEO at the time) a ripe Avocado and requested a leather finish in that colour, hence the name Aubergine.

I became a furniture maker partly by accident.

I built a very much contemporary home when I was married in the 1960`s, couldn't find furniture that I liked that suited my home, so I designed and made my own, end of story. (By the way, that original furniture was finished natural )

I believe I didn't do badly for someone who was untrained in either furniture design or woodwork.

As I mentioned previously, I loved what I eventually ended up working at, and really appreciate hearing how much people appreciated what I created.

Regards,

Norman A.

Vy thanked narchibald33
  • Pam Rolley Celebrant
    5 years ago

Thanks for the corrections & 'appearing' here & you have made 'my' day. I really miss my wall units but I know they are being loved elsewhere. My refectory, coffee & lamp tables, dining chairs including 2 captains chairs (Aubergine leather) are happily living on King Island in a stone and timber cottage in 100 acres of Blackwood forest nature reserve. www.kingislandnaturereserve.com I doubt if they will cross Bass Strait again - but who knows. I love the hand hewn, rustic yet finished and uniquely Australian style which made a design mark & as you said led to copies. A quick search in the U.S and you'll find contemporary 'look very like' in the style of - currently being sold - and with the price tag to match. I am hoping that the refectory table will live on long after I am gone and the next and the next. May even start some mythology about the Norman Archibald designed dining setting... Thankyou.

Vy thanked Pam Rolley Celebrant
  • Patrick Schult
    5 years ago

Dear Norman, I came back to this old thread of messages and was surprised to see your reply. I am very fond of your pieces and today they stand out as quite courageous and bold - at a time when everything looks minimalist and Danish. I have been collecting pieces bit by bit each time they come up on auctions. Recently secured a nice buffet/cabinet which I will probably use as a sideboard minus the shelf. I wanted to ask if you have seen any web sites that showcase the range of designs you created at the time - so I know what else to look out for. I often see your work listed as 'post and rail' but your designs are less crude and feel more considered. Otherwise, I wanted to commend you on your designs and I will continue to be fond collector of your work. PATRICK

Vy thanked Patrick Schult
  • Julie Walton
    5 years ago
    I still think you should keep as is. They look so comfy and broken in (in a good way). If you change their appearance they will lose their personality.
    Vy thanked Julie Walton
  • Julie Walton
    5 years ago
    Plus I think the colour is great! Wouldn't mind getting a lounge suite in that colour.
    Vy thanked Julie Walton
  • Dennis Armstrong
    4 years ago

Treasure and look after your Nore dining chairs. We have eight of them in a similar design to those in the picture. except that there are no buttons on the seats or backs of our chairs. Our leather is Walnut in colour. We had the chairs made in 1981 and along with the chairs we had made a 5'6" circular dining table and an 8' buffet. They are much travelled - having moved from Canberra to Melbourne, then back to Canberra where they later moved to another house and seven years ago, moved back to yet another house in Melbourne. They are still in excellent condition and have been the site for many memorable dinner parties. The only "disadvantage" with our dining setting is its size: each time we have moved house, one determinant of where we live has been the ability of the dining room to accommodate our much loved and much admired dining setting. Our Nore dining suite is about to have another move, to where we have commissioned the architects and designers to produce an apartment with a dining room which can comfortable accommodate our Nore dining suite. (And if you think we are old fashioned in our furniture tastes, you may be correct because the adjacent lounge room in our new apartment has been designed to accommodate our 4 piece, seven seater Tessa lounge suite which is a year or two older than the Nore Dining Suite, but still also in excellent condition, and very, very comfortable. Dennis

Vy thanked Dennis Armstrong
  • Illuminide Interiors
    4 years ago

I would keep them as they are. If you want new looking chairs then buy news ones for a fraction of the price. These have character and mid century charm and style - I could never justify completely reupholstering a whole set of dining chairs for that price. I think they look great as they are.

Vy thanked Illuminide Interiors
  • me me
    4 years ago
    The original post is a couple of years old. I hope that Vy can post some pictures of the end result.
    Vy thanked me me
  • Vy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your postings. It’s been one of those years.

Me me like some of the posters have suggested I couldn’t justify spending that huge amount of money to do the chairs up. So no progress as such. Will leave them as is for now.

• Vy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Illuminide Interiors,

They were bought in 1988-1989 so Novara not Nore. We loved them as they were well made and add warmth to the place. I’ve got the whole set. Dining table , seats, coffee table , 2 lamp tables and a buffet.

We used to live in a much bigger place. Now we’ve scaled down to a smaller place. I’ve had to bring the two lamp tables down to the beach house.

• strons
    3 years ago

Hi All,

I have a 3m x 1m table and set of chairs that are almost identical to the pictures posted by Vy that has led me to this thread.

The timber on the chairs is in pretty good condition along with the leather,

however the table shows signs of wear on the top and what looks to be like water/heat damage (see picture 3).

I wish to sand back the entire top and refinish it without having to redo the chairs to match.

Is Mr. Norman Archibald (or anyone else for that matter) able to advise the correct colour stain and brand that was used back in the day?

Furthermore if I can match the stain what would be the correct top coat product to use over the top?

Thanks

Jess

• HU-92517270021
    24 days ago

It would seem my father did not reply to some questions. To Jess (Strons), that looks like an Eron setting. I would have to ask my dad about the stain, and I'm sure he remembers. However, I would imagine replicating it, would be quite difficult. He also put a lot of pride and skill into the finish.