Houzz Logo Print
persimnios

Design Dilemma in living dining area

Chris
7 years ago

We have received 2 designs that we are trying to make some decisions on, We are looking at the dining table and thinking it might be in the way highlighted in red as this area would be used as a main thoroughfare to access the alfresco area, Also chairs will be required to be always placed neatly.

Also the main foyer with the gallery look and feel has warmed us more to select this option. but we prefer this option as this keeps all the areas together and a large open living area.

Option 2 {no highlight showing on design)

Is showing the living area away from the kitchen and dining area and the table not sitting in the main thoroughfare and is a more specific area but the dining area seems cramped up

Can i have some feedback (pros and cons) that will assist me on each option. Our designer is preferring option 2 for the reasons mentioned above.

Comments (41)

• Vy
    7 years ago

If you're worried about the dining table being cramped what about extending the island bench to double as a dining table ?

• Vy
    7 years ago

where you've got the living and family room in the second drawing ? do you need both? or can that wall in between them be knocked down have a huge living area and then the dining suite can go a bit further down not blocking your thoroughfare?

• Related Discussions

Fake sunken lounge, living areas layout dilemma

Q

Comments (4)
    Hard to tell how it was constructed without being on site. Any good builder or designer could inspect and advise. I've designed similar but it was due to the slope of the site. The kitchen, living, dining and deck was 3 steps down from the remaining house. It would of had to have extra fill and concrete, etc. so it worked out better. Could be a similar situation here perhaps? Although sunken living areas were very popular years ago........
    ...See More

Lounge and dining design dilemma

Q

Comments (4)
    I was thinking of switching lounge and dining then realised your entry goes straight in where the lounge is .. Leave your dining suite where it is.. I'd move the TV to the wall with the two paintings..then your three seaters against the window lengthwise and put your two arm chairs L configuration to that.. pop your coffee table on the rug so it's grouped if it was me I'd get a modular to fit better..
    ...See More

Opening bedroom door to kitchen/dining area or to the living area?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. Although the kitchen, dining and the entry area at large would benefit from moving the bedroom door inside, I tend to agree that the privacy and function suffer more from a bedroom door within the lounge. I was suggested elsewhere to widen the lounge entrance and remove its door thus making the layout more open and "modern". I think this would not help, though, with the door positioning problem - either way. Bigreader, bedroom 2 = top room on the layout? It can be used as a spare bedroom but it is surrounded with shutters and large windows. I think It better suited for leisure or as a work space. Oklouise, thank you for the effort in redrawing the layout and experimenting with it. The suggestion for exchanging the hinges direction is spot on. The bathroom is not built yet. I am considering replacing the bath with a partly open shower:
    ...See More

open plan living/dining furniture dilemma

Q

Comments (10)
    Studying your photos, the lounge is sitting in the part of the room that ideally should have a small dining table. This tells you the current lounge is way to big for the space. Your area is the same size as my lounge room. I have measured it out and You have plenty of room for the appropriate size furniture set out exactly as Julie Herbert last photo. But acknowledging the room size in photo is larger than yours.
    ...See More
  • scottevie
    7 years ago

I I like the floor plan with the dining table circled best. The other seems less flexible for furniture arrangement and a fair bit of wasted? space centrally. Given there is a separate formal lounge/theatre room you could possible do away with the 3x 3 seater couches in the family room and condense the space used there to move the dining table further away from the kitchen island to allow more space for a walk way. Even 500mm would make a difference.

• Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The theatre room will be also used for grandparents( retreat area) to have quite time away from noisy teenagers in alfresco area and pool... Also the 3 areas combined together has a nice look and feel flare....
  • PRO
    Manias Associates Building Designers
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Chris,

It appears to be a very intelligent plan, like the mud room, especially if you could turn it into an airlock so that you can keep car exhaust fumes away from the internal of the house. (You might need to do a minor redesign in regards to the steps so that it becomes a proper airlock, but definitively achievable).

Also like how you have arranged the laundry and powder room (option2 - I'm assuming option 2 is the one with the dimensions) and the exit door, especially if your drying area is close to that exit door.

The lounge and family room proximity looks a bit odd as one does not seem to relate to the other.

However before I can make any comments on the arrangement of the living areas you would have to show where north is located, this would greatly help in deciding the arrangement layout.

Hope this is of some help

Michael Manias

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Which way is North? That's the priority.

• Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    Chris
    Have you though about putting the tv on the wall backing into the second lounge? That way you can place the 3 seater against the wall where to tv was going to go and your table can move further down. It's quite a large lounge area and it would solve all your dilemmas. Design number 2 is definitely the better design.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek

Yes - you are right!

Michael Manias

• Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Option 2 is the design with dimensions, very valid pickup Manias Associates Building Designers about the mud room i will discuss this with our designer this is the type of criticism i need to identify prior finalising the final design. Also we are not sure if the powder room is very tight, extend another 500m towards the laundry will make it easier for a vanity to fit and not so tight.

Also the clothesline not sure?

Also i have attached the first floor for some further criticism to provide further improvement

I

• Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    Chris
    With the laundry, what about moving the sink and tub to the opposite wall and placing the door to outside in the actual laundry? This would give you plenty more space to work with in the powder room?
  • Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kurt,

Your last suggestion was the original idea, wife didn't want pool guests entering through the laundry and constantly maintaining tidy.

Manias,

The Theatre room will be retreat/theatre room.

Some very functional ideas have been brought to life

• Pantry Heat
    • Guest Room dual vanity
    • Kitchen bench & NW SUN
    • Walk thru ROBES in master room, we decided on this option to minimise noise and waking up partner as i am a shift worker.
    • Mud Room car fumes.

But as we have been told by our designer you might have the issue with NW sun in the kitchen but relocating it to another location you will have very little sunlight during the day.....

Thanks so much will create some excellent discussion and design options with our designer.

• Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    Good luck with it Chris. House will be amazing when finished. And just on the original discussion, maybe consider an L shaped lounge with the tv going on the regret wall :) I've just renovated and wanted the exact same layout you have but ended up putting the tv on the other will. We originally liked the idea of seeing the tv from the kitchen but really happy with how ours turned out. See photo :) 32 year old house and so far coming along really nice
  • Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    *Retreat wall lol
  • Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We visited furniture shops today looking at different options and shapes and dimensions and your option was considered... Your reno looks amazing for a 32 yr old home...Thanks for your suggestions and ideas.

• Vy
    7 years ago

what about a walk in shower instead of cubicle? how wide is your bathroom? easier to just put in a pane of glass as a walk in ? our glass came out to 1.1m in our ensuite..

• scottevie
    7 years ago

If you want to gain a bit extra for the powder room, I would pinch it from the butler's pantry (I'm reading it as approx 3x2.6) and maintain the laundry dimensions, as it is already the smaller space of the two (approx 2.1x2.6). I guess it depends on your family's lifestyle as to which is used more. Do you have a butler pantry at the moment to know how much you would use/need that additional space allocated on top of your generous kitchen?

• PRO
    7 years ago

I'm delighted to be of some help, I agree with your Building Designer, I don't think that your kitchen should change position, just provide very good quality Glass with High UV resistance, also very good quality insulation min R=5 in the walls and in the roof, or greater (very good double sided reflective foil + R=4.5 insulation will get you above R=5) and excellent shading for summer and your problem will be resolved. (Deciduous trees are also a good help)

Your plan looks good, and hopefully it will work well for you, glad to take part in the discussion.

If you have time I would greatly appreciated a positive review on Houzz, wish you and your family the best for the future.

Michael Manias Building Designer - mm407p@gmail.com

• Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We don't have a butler pantry, but thats a good point something we need to consider.

• Lisa Imbruglia
    7 years ago

I like option 2. I wouldn't have a sink in the island bench though. Put it under the window so you can see the kids/grandkids in the pool area. Love the idea of a butlers pantry. I would make the opening in to the theatre room larger and then have a folding door (you can add panels to make it as wide as you want. Showing you in timber look but available in white or glass paneled.. worth a think and would really open the area up.. open for extra living, closed for movies and warmth and comfort in winter.. https://www.masters.com.au/product/101144089/gearplus-vera-folding-door-light-oak.

Below picture is the opening I had in my rebuild from Christchurch.. you can see how the kitchen flowed to dining and then across to lounge area.. My media room was a decent size as well. The wall colour you can see is Resene "kangaroo" which i put inside my media room as well.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Have to agree with Lisa Imbruglia the sink would be better on the window facing the pool - extra level of "Pool Supervision" good thinking. The central kitchen bench has become more of a meet and greet area, while someone's cooking rather than a preparation and cooking area these days - and there is also the relationship between the sink and the stove in an emergency as I pointed out in my previous comments above.

• Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

I don't like the dining room that is circled because it appears to be just sitting in the middle of no where - like it is sitting in a hall way. It may look better if the table ran the other way e.g. if the kitchen was north and the living room south I would move the table closer to the outside wall and run it north to south not west to east. Otherwise I would go with the plan above it - where the table has a defined space.

• hitchandthread
    7 years ago

Along with the suggestions listed above perhaps consider changing the door for the master bedroom so it opens the other way? I feel it would help break up any noise coming from the stairs if you were sleeping and someone came in. Plus give you a little more time for privacy if the door were opened unexpectedly ;)

• User
    7 years ago
    Number two, no doubt
  • User
    7 years ago
    Just to clarify, we are not particularly praising the 2nd design...But if having to pick one between the two layouts you presented, we would personally have to say number 2 as it looks more 'correct' from our personal point of view. Orientation is yes important but can be addressed. We would lean on option 2 basing us on the better flow of the resulting space.
    Chris thanked User
  • deewb
    7 years ago

Ditto to comments above. Prefer option 2. The walk through robe in the Master is a great idea. I have one and love it. I live in hot Qld and have no problem with clothes being affected. As a domestic cleaner I wouldn't recommend a cubicle shower as they are a heat/mould trap. Make sure the glass door is a good size to allow moisture to escape.

Chris thanked deewb
  • Pazz
    7 years ago
    hi chris, we have a very similar (slightly narrower but longer) open plan / outdoor area layout as your design... I had similar concerns looking back at our plans, but in reality the space is much bigger than I had imagined... moved in 3 months now and am yet to have any traffic issues with the location of the dining table... also just throwing a suggestion out there, we built up a wall with a couple of openings on the south side of the alfresco which we'll fit with shutters that we can close in winter to protect from the southerly and open in summer to provide air flow... good luck :)
    Chris thanked Pazz
  • Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not sure if i should be creating a new post or posting in this thread? We have given another challenge which we need to decide on. The designer has requested for a 1 step to rise from the foyer to the hallway from the powder room as per highlighted drawing we are not keen on this idea as we believe will create a trip hazard... Can we have some critique or better options to remove the step a smart workaround or design

I have attached some houzz photos showing some ideas if we add the extra step at the porch to eliminate the potential trip hazard and give the hall way a nice flow?

Calistoga Residence · More Info

Boulder Contemporary · More Info

• Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We received our revised drawings after discussing some of the above concerns, we managed to remove the front steps from the foyer area and moved them to the back section of the home.

Also increased powder room and managed to gain some space where the nook area is but area was created due to compliance reasons possible make this into a cloak room.

We are not sure with the following issues with the first floor:-

2 points of concerns

1. The retreat area not functional and very awkward to furnish.

2. Also the master room with 2 Walk in robes ? we feel something isn't correct..... requires further work open for criticism and suggestion.

Finally received the first concept design of facade, very different the skillion roof which has raised some concern, not sure if hipped roof would be better suited for this design, or is it because we are so used to seen hipped roofs all round us? We feel the skillion is providing a real difference to our eye. Also the skillion roof could become a phased out fad over a period of time. We want it to look modern, but it's a bit tricky when your building custom and nothing to see before you build. Not sure on the colour scheme applied to this design as colours will play a important role on the look and feel of the home.

• Vy
    7 years ago

door opening to ensuite..once opened you've blocked your way into the WC..

I would move the bathroom to service the three other bedrooms better.

ie move the bathroom between bedroom 2 and 3 and bedroom 4 where bathroom is

? no window to bedroom 4? bathroom? tiny window to retreat..

with regard to the retreat you can build a room divider..posts put at an angle to give you a wall for placement of furniture or divider that will also be your storage ie a shelving unit..

also your WIRs you're blocking part of your wardrobe when you open the doors ..? why not have a part wall to obscure them and do away with the doors ?

Chris thanked Vy
  • Vy
    7 years ago

I would also swap the WIR and ensuite over ..that way you've got a nice big window to look out of..

Chris thanked Vy
  • Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    I would consider a sliding door on the ensuite and possibly do away with the door into the Hers WIC and have the access from the His WIC plus it gives you a nice wall space for art/TV etc. I would also flip the toilet over for the shower. Have a nice walk in shower and makes it easier for plumbing on the exterior wall. Def need a window in bed 4 too :) hope all that makes sense
  • deewb
    7 years ago

Use internal wall sliding doors for your robe and ensuite. Not a fan of internal toilets and cubicle showers which attract mould and hold smells. I agree with the comment above-swap them over so the bathroom can have a bigger window.

• Kurt Robinson
    7 years ago
    And a room divider could work well for the retreat. My parents put a half wall up and it's great for furnishing plus keeping the room open. Run it along the back of the couch to add separation :)
  • Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like the concept of having 1 door for the wardrobe and providing a larger wall as this was a concern about placing a tall boy and furniture in the Master Room. Definitely swap over the ensuite to balcony end as this will function better. Shower will be similar like powder room on ground level.
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Retreat upstairs does seem big and presume you don't want kids tV blaring next to you. Could you make that one bedrm an put study tv room where bed oppos bath is?
  • Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The upstairs retreat area is more for the lazy sunday just hanging out.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Hi Chris

Good plan revision there may be a couple of things that may help

1. You need 3Ds to make a decision on the front, its not to difficult to do if your Building Designer has the appropriate software, in all my design I give my clients 3Ds because it is difficult to understand spatial concepts from 2D's drawings - even fro people that do it every day.

2. Internal views are often more important than external - you spend more time inside the house than outside., your neighbours my spend more time outside looking at the house.

3. Upstairs I really like the master bedroom, but one of the robe has a window in it this would mean that the clothes would become decoloured. I would remove the window.

4. Also I would remove the window next to the TV in the recreation room - TV's will increase in size and the window might not add to better viewing. In my opinion the recreation area forces people to go around the sofa - children wont they will walk over them - more fun. I think the Tv should be on the Bathroom wall and the room squared of and the real furniture put in to scale - might help a bit with the final decision, some 3D's would help.

5. There seem to be no window in bedroom 4.

6. The downstairs works well, just that the kitchen bench still has a sink in it - not very practical, and a bit old fashioned because it really does not work - tend to spill between sink - stove and fridge - wet floors are not very helpful in work areas like kitchens.

Hope this is of some help

Regards Michael

• Chris
    Original Author
    7 years ago

3D visualisations is on the request list or possible a walk through entire home.

We request for a window in the WIR to have natural lighting up that space.

Not sure where to place the sink i will run it through my designer....

thanks

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Listen to Michael. I'm surprised your designer didn't tell you. We get Houzzers complaining the window in their WIR has faded one side of their clothes. I just googled it, and so many the same on other sites too.

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

If you're going to have a window in the WIR, then make sure you get a blind for it that blocks sunlight. We had fading problems with clothes as well, until we got that blind. I did like having the filtered light in the closet once we got it, though.