Houzz Logo Print
alexi_darling

Living room wall with tv

Alexi Darling
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Any ideas what I should do with this wall behind the sofa? I painted a feature colour in the middle because this portion of the wall sticks out (to hide the wiring for the TV, etc.). At the edge of the middle portion on either sides are LED lights. I have just bought the white sofa. On the opposite side of this wall is another similar white sofa.

The flooring is in porcelain creamy white, walls in Dulux Antique White USA, blinds in white, black carpet on stairs on left wall, silver aluminium Tom Dixon ceiling pendant.

Also, could you suggest a coffee table to go with the sofa. I am thinking of an oval one with a white marble top and retro legs in white - to mimic the dining table and tie in with the white marble benchtop.

Any design and/or colour ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I will post some pics of the kitchen following this to give you an idea of what the kitchen looks like.

Comments (24)

• danielchen
    11 years ago
    this wall really presents a touch of Chinese elements, i will also add something red goes with the green. As in China, red goes with the green is very chinese
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    not sure what you're asking about the wall. are you thinking of painting it? tv looks too high for comfortable viewing.
    you have a clear design asthetic. next step would be to add a rug . something with a light background so as not to overwhelm the white. i like your coffee table idea.

the room also needs an organic touch. maybe a tree branch on the wall. a bamboo accent table, natural or painted red with a minimal black wash.
  • Related Discussions

Need opinions and advice on fireplace/TV/living room layout

Q

Comments (8)
    i'd like some feedback on the two windows, as I am currently looking at the same thing without windows. Why r they there given the expanse of glass on other wall. My mum had two narrow vertical windows either side and as they were un curtained they look like black rectangles at night which I found spooky. They didn't let in much light because of trees outside, but I guess if u had a skyline view say they may be useful. They also compromised positioning of artwork.
    ...See More

Living room wall decoration ideas

Q

Comments (8)
    We think the photo montage might be better placed to the side of the television as artwork can be visually distracting above the tv. The air conditioner also provides another visual element on the wall. Something bold and bright to inject some colour where the frame montage is currently hanging would minimise the visual presence of the air conditioner. Please contact us if you would like further details on sizing and pricing for this print.
    ...See More

Ideas for small living room wall

Q

Comments (3)
    Great thx so much. love the 2nd photo, the last photo is what l was thinking but looking at your photos now l think shelving might look too much. We have high ceilings so drawing the eyes upwards in small space is vital.
    ...See More

Open plan living - best location for TV and sofa?

Q

Comments (4)
    Is the green oval your dining table is it that shape? Can you add dimensions for room and any furniture. My first thought is dining should be in the smaller area. You say kitchen but show a wet bar. How many will use this space?. Are you done?
    ...See More
  • Alexi Darling
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for your comments. Love the idea of injecting red into the colour scheme. It is one of my favourite colours along with fuchsia. Coffee table to match dining table is excellent. Might go with it There is a similar sofa with same cushions on the opposite side for tv watching.
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    Love your dining table and the white sofas! Personally, it doesn't work for me to have the sofas facing each other with one under the tv. Can you float this one as a room divider facing the window & making an L shape with the other sofa? You could do an ottoman under the tv or a bar cart. In the niches, I would do something with height - either pedestals or a shelf on each side. I think the wall will work better if it is all one color. The green seems especially bright to me. Are you happy with the color?
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    Other ideas, but imagine with a shiny martini shaker, a vintage statue, and pretty glasses:
    http://girlhattan.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/ill-take-mine-with-splash-of-lime.html
  • julielen
    11 years ago
    i think the tv looks too high also. I can see why you need it behind one sofa with the large window on one wall and open on other wall. It seems you prefer a symmetrical and impeccably clean space over comfortable tv watching.

I think a one-of-a-kind oriental rug in any pattern - could be pale tone or bright jewel tones, could bring in red - would look stunning. Once you start looking at them, if that is in the budget, they are like works of art. I might try the isamu noguci glass top table with wood base. There are lot of inexpensive knock offs with different colored bases, but the wood might be a nice element to introduce somewhere else also.
  • Alexi Darling
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all fr yur comments and suggestions.

Thanks, Julielen. I considered the Isamu Noguchi coffee table. Then I looked at the design as a whole. It is not a very big space so I thought having both the coffee table and dining table in the same look and colour would unify the space. I prefer to keep the colours consistent (white, black and accent colour).

I love your idea, Pattiegoode, of having an ottoman type piece under the tv and unifying the wall colour. That was my original idea too! Would you go with a light or light colour that complements the surrounding wall colour (Dulux Antique White USA, quarter strength) and tie in with the white blinds, creamy shiny flooring and black wool carpet? The room is quite bright during the day (window faces west).
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    Did you start out with the wall color here and not like it? If you inherited this wall with the green paint, I would definitely paint it my wall colors. Get your furniture arrangement right and only then consider an accent color on the tv wall. Western light is warm and needs a cool tone on the walls. I would consider a light grey shade picked up from the dining table marble if you decide to accent the wall. If you love those vertical Chinese wall hangings, I would try to use touches of the gold somewhere else, too. Do you want your accent color to be fuchsia, like in the toss pillows? Are you planning to add a rug that the coffee table will sit on? I've seen a clear acrylic coffee table that would mirror those awesome chairs you have. Are you having fun yet?
  • Alexi Darling
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will start looking for a cool grey from the marble in the dining table to paint the tv wall. Love the idea of a clear acrylic coffee table to mirror the clear Ghost chairs! What colour rug would tie the colours (cool grey, antique white usa, white, the colours in the toss pillows) together? If I had a black and white striped rug, would the toss pillows now have to be replaced? I am attaching photos of the study and a bedroom which are in a black and white theme. Would I go with the same theme in the living room?
  • Linda
    11 years ago
    I agree. The TV seems too high and the couch should be on the opposite wall for TV viewing.
    You appear to like symmetry.
    The sofas facing one another is symmetric, but I think it makes more sense to have one on the wall adjacent to the TV and the other on opposing wall to the TV.
    A light neutral coloured fabric ottoman or a fabric covered backless bench would be nice under the TV, but only if the TV is lowered. It would also offer you optional seating and could be moved here and there for entertaining.
    I don't mind the green wall, but I don't love it. I think it takes away from the high-classed look of your well-chosen colours, flooring, and furniture. I think it might be nicer if you painted the whole wall if you are keeping the green (by the way, I love that colour, just not for your wall). Personally, I think I would paint the wall a deep slate, or charcoal colour, or even a dramatic black in a semi-gloss paint to echo the black and white colour scheme you already have.
    Then, I would allow a variety of varied textured and patterned cushions (all coordinating), art work, throws, decorative items, and floral arrangements to do the colour work. If you have the storage area, you could then interchange it all now and then, offering you new colour(s) to enjoy. I can see this happening in the Kelly green and fushia you like (only add more varied and coordinating fabric pillows to the ones you already have and display them in pockets rather than lined across the sofa). you could switch it up to a complete change with geometric-type black and whites, or a variety of deep purples, or even seasonal colours (if you have seasons where you live), and so on. That is actually what I am doing now. I am changing from comfortable antiques recovered in coordinating fabrics like ticking and florals to a neutral palette with the intention of changing things like artwork, cushions, and decorative items often, putting them away for another time when I need a change!
    I love your neutral, clean colour scheme and choice of sofa - exactly what I just ordered in a creamy white leather; it will take four months to arrive, but I am so excited!
    The chinese artwork does not speak to me at all and especially where it is now. If it is personal because of your culture or travel, then definitely find a place for it. I find the gold clashes with the room as it is. It looks too contrived and impersonal in my humble opinion.
    I would suggest a large floor-length bevelled mirror framed in glass, black, or silver.
    For a coffee table, I would have a base that matches the wood in adjoining rooms, but with a glass top to carry on the gloss of the floor and white of your furniture.
    Good luck!
    Linda
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    too much black and white can become monotonous. adding a little color offers needed relief.
  • Alexi Darling
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for your comment, lindasmc and DIAspoton.
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    Love this table and rug idea for you:
    Naples Florida · More Info
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    I could also see something like this working as the only color in your room:
    Modern Rugs · More Info

This one is very expensive but classy, classy, classy & will become a classic, I think. Just like your marble table & chairs.
  • laurae1967
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of adding some gray to the space as others have suggested. I also don't like the Asian accents on the wall and I think the throw pillows are not the right look with everything else. I would replace them with colors to complement the new wall color (different shades of gray in solids and different textures. You could even throw a fushia one in the mix.

I love the bedroom and study but if I'm being honest, I think the black pillows with Chanel on them cheapen the look. I would think about getting something more sophisticated to match the rest of your fabulous home.
  • Aurora Poll
    10 years ago
    Wow! You got it ! Great job and the entire apartment flows
  • pattiegoode
    10 years ago
    Love the black wall & coffee table! Looks great! Your study area will come together, too, I'm sure. Consider floating selves with white or black file boxes & accessories. These could either match the wall or contrast, as you like. An arc floor lamp might work well & could add a pop of color if you wanted. I'd personally prefer the printer on a rolling cart under the desk. Is that Ikea Malm? I think they have something that would work well for you. It looks like that is a stair rail, so if you want to add an art piece, try to incorporate it one the wall you face as you descend the stairs. Have fun!
    David Howell Design · More Info

Superior St. Residence · More Info

Frosted Glass Floating Shelf, 10" x 35.4" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/floors-lamps-that-really-stand-up-stsetivw-vs~128509
  • Susan Kingston
    10 years ago
    That's really come together beautifully. What about two lamps on the console table behind the sofa, one at each end to provide additional evening light. One would be down by where you have the chair and computer for extra task lighting.
  • pattiegoode
    10 years ago
    Doh! Just saw your BR study pix! I wouldn't personally want to repeat the same area, but if you love it, you can. I'd want art. Even black & white art or photos. Something that speaks to you personally so your home doesn't look like a showplace - but like your Home! lol My only other thought is that you don't want it to look too safe - like you couldn't make any decsiions so you just did everything in either black or white. You want the design to look purposeful. Search Houzz for black & white living rooms & you'll find lots of inspiration (which you probably have doen already!).

Just for fun, I've attached a couple of pix of an arc lamp we have in our apartment. The globe is glass & my DH hit his head on it & broke it once. That's why it's not really properly placed but is too close to the wall! lol Live & learn! That's the only way to make it in life!
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    8 years ago
    Hi Alexi,
    I think Linda has made some excellent layout suggestions. Only thing, colour wise! I have to say I really like your green wall...I can see it tied in to a rug and some small accents like a bowl of green apples on the coffee table.
  • Linus Reimann-Kaißer
    8 years ago

Wall-to-wall curtain rail. Hides the TV and makes decorating new easy.