gioenne_rapisarda

A trend that should end?

Gioenne Rapisarda
4 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Are there any design trends at the moment that are just becoming too much? It could be a style you're seeing too much of or a colour you just despise. Tell us know what you think should disappear from the limelight and please share any relevant photos! Personally, I think the typography prints with related words need to be done with!

• wuff
    4 years ago
    Jmm1837, I was really happy to read your comments, when we moved (down sized) just on 3years ago we actually missed out on a very trendy well finished unit we had been in love with for a couple of years. Then I guess you could say we bought our little house on the rebound, the unit /town house had two shared neighbours there were 8 in a row, the corporate rate was minimal but the sharing on the walls and 2 stories thus stairs maybe fate dealt us a kind hand after all. We just have three stairs up into the house (the floor is above the flood level for this area) well fingers crossed about that one. Could easily put in a ramp to get in
  • Bobbi
    4 years ago

I've been reading along , you can added lifts to the stairs that don't change the structure of the building at all. Either with a seat for those who walk or a platform for a wheelchair. It's much cheaper than a lift and it can be removed to take with you if you move. It's a good option for short term like an aged relative or an injury. Some companies will even do an extended rental for them. There are also bathtubs with doors in them. I have one , it's been a wonderful addition to my life as I can soak now where I couldn't with only the wheel in shower. There are such a wide range of those that they are affordable to nearly everyone. I wouldn't do it if I didn't own the home though.

On the subject of home size. I've run the board in my lifetime. From very large to now a small bungalow. It's all about what fits your lifestyle and needs at the time. It's just my Mother and I , me disabled and her retired. We didn't need a large home. That doesn't mean I think no one anywhere should be allowed to have one. I do on occasion wonder at the size of some homes and why exactly they were built. It's human nature to question, that doesn't give us the right to judge.

• Related Discussions

Carpet Flooring - what is currently on trend?

Q

I have just recarpeted our stairs, children's bedrooms, master bedroom & a living area in a neutral coloured wool sisal. I plan to add rugs for luxury and style
    ...See More

Name the next big trend!

Q

I agree with Catherine. I see more effort put into the design of a study/home office area than ever before. If my clients don't have the extra room to create a working space then we look at how they can incorporate a workspace into their living areas. I'm also finding that a lot of people don't have the time or expense to keep updating their interiors but instead are looking for timeless designs when it comes to furniture and kitchen/bathrooms. A space can be updated with accessories and art. Another trend I have seen is for more people to put more of themselves into their home design. I have seen so many homes that look exactly like showrooms or display houses (which some of them I can say are stunning but they all look the same) - however my Clients have said "well the designer told me this is what is on trend and that this is what homes look like'. And my Clients don't even like the end result! They just go with it because. People want their homes to stand out from their friends and neighbours and this can only be done with using the Clients personality tastefully.
    ...See More

This or that: blackboards, whiteboard or just bored?

Q

Blackboards are the ultimate dust maker!
    ...See More

On trend shelving in kitchen .... Is this really practical..

Q

petapea Thank you so much for the comments and research... I have thought long and hard about this .. for days! You know what I agree with you.. Shelving without any bits and bobs on it, above a window looks great, but I have visited a few homes with shelving (without windows) that is actually lived in and not a display home and it does look busy, and cluttered. I have decided to go a polytec black wenge, full height cabinets to the ceiling, sophisticated , warm, and clean. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. There I have jumped over to the dark side.
    ...See More
  • Vy
    4 years ago

jmm..I know..the beach house has a shared drive way though no body Corp ..we just all pay our public and building insurance ..whatever needs done we all chip in ..nothing in writing..

my neighbour is permanent there so they do bin duties for all of us..when they are away they let me know as then I do bin duties when I'm down for work every week..

Christmas time I pop over a bottle of wine for them..

when one of us need something done like I wanted a security door put in ..I do a group email (5 of us) and ask them if it's okie..told them what colour I had in mind etc..

the one out the front they rent out to holiday makers which is a pain as one year we had the dog barked day and night for the whole week other then that it's peaceful just me and my neighbour the rest only come down for the holiday seasons

• Vy
    4 years ago

GTB sometimes it's culture too..the bigger your house..the more successful you are..we know someone building a 60 squares house..only him living in it..no kids ..no wife as his wife lives overseas most of the year...decked out with all the luxuries..don't know what for but if it makes him happy then go for it..

he even got an underground bunker just in case terrorists comes knocking..state of the art security so when he's overseas he can monitor anyone that comes anywhere near his house..

I've always wondered how he got his application through..but then money talks..

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

GTB - my sister had a big house with a lift that ran up the stairs - I think that's what you're describing - you sat on it and it took you to top. It meant that my Dad, in particular, could enjoy visits to their home because there was no way he could manage stairs at all in his later years, after hip replacements. I've run across a few of them in houses of older folks, but I just figured, when we were looking for a new place, that it would be easier to avoid the problem by getting a single level house. Not easy to find one, though, if you want to be close into town - old houses are being torn down and replaced by three double story houses on the same block of land - and there aren't many developers willing to give up the profit on that third house to build two singles instead. Fortunately, we found one....

I should have looked into universal housing before we moved, so probably we've got some shortcomings with our new house, but I know it's a better set-up than my parents managed with well into their 80s, so I've got a bit of time to rectify the deficiencies. I hope.

• macyjean
    4 years ago

There was a house in a builders display village here a few years ago described as being designed with the requirements of different stages in mind. One feature was the stairs were a single straight flight, no turns and landings, and one of those lifts had been installed to show how the house would still work if walking upstairs becomes difficult.

• macyjean
    4 years ago

A trend I find puzzling is using the outdoors in weather which is not outdoor weather. At the same time as we are being encouraged to insulate the indoors better to conserve energy it has become popular to equip patios with heaters so that you can sit outside in winter?

• wuff
    4 years ago

Very good point Macy

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

Macy, perhaps there's been a global rise in farting. Outside its easier to blame the dog, wombat, goanna. Outside it dissipates quickest.

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

Tribble I wonder if that's adding to global warming .

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

They do say methane gas is.

• olldroo
    4 years ago

Which makes me ask the question - how much methane gas did a dinosaur produce?? Surely size would count.

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

Good question olldroo, and what were they eating?

• olldroo
    4 years ago

Most of them ate plants and we all know why you have to eat your greens.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Just think of dinosaurs as giant birds - some of them ate meat, some were herbivores, and some ate everything in sight. Carnivorous eagles and owls, herbivorous finches and lorikeets, omnivorous ravens and magpies and robins. They all are just small, modern dinosaurs.

• Hilde Gard
    4 years ago

Returning to the previous comment, I agree that outdoor heaters, including fire-pits are a waste of energy.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

Dinosaurs were a trend that did end.

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

They didn't look right with the sofa.

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

Ooo I want one.

• chubbychicky
    4 years ago
    What is the point of a four bedroom, three bathroom, two living area home with great entertaining spaces (all great for a family if that's your thing) with a SINGLE GARAGE!?!?!?! If you need four bedrooms and three bathrooms, at some point you are going to need more than one car........I don't get it!
  • jmm1837
    4 years ago

Ermm - back to birds and dinosaurs. I wasn't actually making a joke. Birds are in fact dinosaurs. Or so say most paleontologists. So, the dinosaur trend never actually ended, it just changed direction - kind of like Roman paving stones eventually morphing into subway tiles.

• olldroo
    4 years ago

Yes, jmm, the thinking is that dinosaurs morphed into birds - they have so many features that do resemble birds and fortunately shrank over the centuries. Probably where the term "bird brain" comes from too - dinosaurs, despite their size, had very little between the ears.

I can't look at subway tiles without smelling the overpowering stench of disinfectant blocks that were used in male toilets on the underground railway stations.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

The funny thing is, subway tiles were adopted for kitchens a century ago because people associated them with the sparkling clean, modern subway stations. Go figure.

• olldroo
    4 years ago

Probably comes down to compared to what?? Everything is relative.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

Especially at family reunions.

• bellacatandme
    4 years ago

Been reading and chuckling I love the ramble. Vy talking about foil reminded me of tenants I had in an apt near a university years ago. Not a word had been said when they moved in, I was new at the landlord game then, but the students took it upon themselves to line the entire wall behind the stove, and the sides of the cupboards with alfoil. I discovered this when they left a couple of years later and went there contemplating a reno. The foil was pristine, as was the rest of the kitchen (and apt generally). They were obviously aware of oil damage potential. I was so lucky and made a point of telling the agent to ensure future OS tenants did the same which didn't always bring the same result. Foil has it's good points.

• Tyrian
    4 years ago

Hilde Gard as an avid sky watcher I disagree with the out door fire pit being a waste of time! It's one of my favourite things :-)

• Hilde Gard
    4 years ago

Not a waste of time, Tyrian. The sky is great to watch from where I sit too. I just find heating the great outdoors a shame, as I try to be an energy-saver.

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

A fire pit is a big difference than an outdoor heater. A fire pit or fireplace can be used to cook on and warm drinks as well as warm the people around it. Outdoor heaters just use fuel whether it is propane or electricity to pump out heat. My opinion is that one is useful the second is a little silly.

• Hilde Gard
    4 years ago

All those tinny looking Tolix chairs and stools are so ready for the scrap metal yard....

Tolix Chair Clear · More Info

• wuff
    4 years ago

Not keen on them myself Hilde, very cold looking and to sit on. Good in outdoor cafes but they would probably rust here on the coast

• Tyrian
    4 years ago

One day when I hope to have built a McMansion with four bedrooms, two livings spaces, double garage and pool you can all come round for drinks and toast marshmallows over my fire pit! There won't be any Tolix chairs to sit on, but you can lean on my faux stone wall.

One thing I know for sure, all this great indoor/outdoor living has made me want to start smoking again!

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

Mate, I will bring you a housewarming gift or three from Kmart! ;);)

• Tyrian
    4 years ago

They'll fit right in.. ;-)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like getting Kmarts overruns, at Reject shop! I'm sitting here in leggings and a cardigan, eating Kelloggs Crunchy nut out of the box. Should I bring a plate of that?

• wuff
    4 years ago
    I will bring the Bollinger sweetie
  • Bobbi
    4 years ago

Tribble you paint such an elegant picture of yourself.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

I can meet the Queen, converse with guys just out of jail, and everyone in between. Today was in bogan mode.

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

I'm one to talk I'm still in bed , I haven't even turned the lights up yet. I love that word bogan. I use it a lot now. It's a helpful word where I live.

• how2girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Click to enlarge

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Tell me about it, the ones across the road were going all day and night in the front yard, including revving up a motor bike they're not allowed to ride!

my hubby wears flannie shirts when he's not in work gear. He likes ripping them, that's a trend that should end.

of course, all Australian flag thongs (flip flops) are made in China!

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

That uniform translates to the U.S. it's just Coors beer, U.S.A. flag on the made in China flip flops and they rip the sleeves off the shirts. So stylish.

Some sugar in the gas tank takes care of that engine revving ... or so I've heard.

• Vy
    4 years ago

how2girl you forgot these

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

Hey now Vy, my Gran used to wear those everywhere. Then again she was in her 80's so I guess she was forgiven.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

GTB, I've thought about doing something to it, if they would just go into the bl house! Then their kids don't have a bedtime, on a school night!

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

Do you have child protection there? Call them. Or accidentally run it over with something.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

They've had the kids removed already. Stupid govt decided in its wisdom, to call the mother inept, return the kids, and take the alcoholic father away from his paid full time job, put him in primary carer role, and on the taxpayer expense, so now he can neglect the kids full time and drink all day, every day.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

Oh, and they blamed us for losing the kids, even though it wasn't us that called it in!

• Bobbi
    4 years ago

Brilliant , seems like a good use of time. They do those things here too. Makes you scratch your head.