zaffa

Wall colour and kitchen colour

zaffa
July 14, 2016
Hi there,

We are owner building a contemporary home in inner Melbourne. We don't receive a great deal of northern light as we have had to build along our northern boundary to make the most of every square inch of space living in the inner suburbs!!We love the minimal look and want white walls, warm but NOT cream. Lots of the whiter whites have cool tones to them and give off a tinge of blue/grey which look cold, and will particularly do so against our downstairs polished concrete floors (full exposure aggregate, in raw concrete colours - grey base, bluestone, smaller white stones and some riverstones). Our kitchen will be white 2pac on the perimeter and overheads and a feature walnut timber veneer island bench (photo of veneer attached, lighter veneer in the photo) with a 70mm Caesarstone bench that's waterfall at one end and cantilevered at the other end. Our stone will be Frosty Carrina (image attached).

We want to add 'warmth' to the house through colours chosen. We have added walnut timber veneer throughout (floating credenza/servery in the meals area and lowline entertainment unit next to gas log fire place), to give warmth to the space. We want our chosen wall colour, at this stage Dulux Natural White (in photos), to do the same.

My design dilemmas are:-

1. Is Dulux Natural White a good choice for areas that don't receive an abundance of natural light? We have two 1.8m skylights in our kitchen and meals areas that are adjacent/ open plan. We also have 6m of sliding stacking doors and 2 X 600 awning windows facing east (one window in either side of stacker doors, shaded somewhat by an alfresco that is a bedroom cantilevered above the alfresco area) and 2 X 600mm awning windows facing south) on either side of our gas log fire place).

2. I don't want a cream wall colour! Will Natural White look cream?

3. What kitchen cabinet colour should I go for? I would like the same wall colour but I don't want the cupboards to look cream either!! Similarly, I don't want whiter cupboards to make the Natural White look cream in terms of contrasts between the warm and cool colours.

4. The kitchen white needs to match the benchtop in Frosty Carrina, which is a Calcutta look but more subtle, and a warmer white. The 1.8m skylight will provide direct light onto the perimeter and island benches directly beneath it and therefore the stone may look whiter.

Thanks everybody! I look forward to some ideas.