Houzz Logo Print
robin_bristow

Butler's Pantry - yes or no

Bristow Design
7 years ago

Would you design your new kitchen to include a Butler's Pantry or would you use that space to make a larger kitchen? The Butler's Pantry can be used to hide your appliances and mess but some people find that they would prefer these items close at hand. What is your choice?

Butler's pantry · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Yes - A Butler's Pantry is a fantastic space.
No - It would be inconvenient for me.

Comments (39)

• Judy
    7 years ago

I am a gadget maniac. I know from experience that any gadget you park in a cupboard will probably never be used. So, I like them all on the bench, plugged in, ready to use. Regardless of how large your kitchen is (especially if you also want some bench space left to work on) it is impossible to do in the kitchen, so I think having them in a butler's pantry where they are all ready to use, but out of the way at the same time is the perfect solution. If you have no room for a butler's pantry, an appliance cupboard is a good substitute, but of course, that can only be so big. :-(

Bristow Design thanked Judy
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen Re-Design Options with Butler's Pantry

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi siriuskey, it's actually quite a big house, just awkwardly laid out. There are two other bathrooms - a main bathroom and an ensuite - and the laundry will just be a stacked washer and dryer, so not much space required. Yes, I think one door is a better option for the layout too. The house is on a very good sized corner block. The dining room side is open to a car parking deck, no roof. There is a flowering hedge between the dining room window and the car park area so visually it's private and allows good sunlight. Off the family room is a large covered patio plus lawn and trees, and a large shed that will be turned into a home office. Adjacent to the dining room is a bedroom and past that (so the opposite side of the house to the dining room and car park area), is the neighbouring fence. So there is only a narrow walkway between the house and the fence.
    ...See More

Help! Not enough space for my butler's pantry sink

Q

Comments (52)
    Unfortunately Erina, your best bet sometimes in this industry is to cut your losses and if it important enough to rectify, outsource a separate contractor/company to come in and re-do it at your own expense.....you just have to look at it as part of the cost of your project.......many people will have stories of deciding pay twice (sometimes more!) to eventually achieve the satisfactory results - ultimately you have to live with it long term and sometimes it's worth it to get it right....ultimately only you can make that decision one way or the other........it's not necessarily right or fair, but unfortunately these are the risks (& hard lessons) of building Best of luck Erina, PD :)
    ...See More

Help, do I need a sink in my butler's pantry?

Q

Comments (45)
    Note - This is what I think of the concept in general. It's not a criticism again the OP - I think Butler's pantries are better idea's in concept than practice. I've not understood the rationale for a kitchen thats separate to your kitchen, unless of course you are prepping all your meals in there in which case what is the kitchen for? I think it's a sign of the times that we have more space and more money than we know what to do with when we start installing two kitchens in the same space. Of course I understand the rationale for a pantry. A place to store food items that may not be used frequently and the same for appliances. In the days when food was only available in season and the only way to preserve certain foods was to pickle and bottle it then a large space to store those supplies was necessary. We live in the modern age now where any food can be gotten easily and cheaply all year round. So these spaces are housing mostly appliances that we rarely use. And if we rarely use them you have to ask yourself why you are holding onto them?
    ...See More

Doors for pantry shelves within a butler's pantry?

Q

Comments (7)
    if you use doors to enclose the whole space then twin cavity sliders would be the most convenient but i'm sure they will rarely be used and doors on the shelves would help keep dust controlled but i find that door less works best for us and a little dust is a reminder for me to clean and sort out all my pantry supplies and a collection of shelf sized baskets will help keep everything organised
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Civic Steel Homes
    7 years ago

We usually do both. If carefully positioned you can have a prep area/butlers pantry where you can leave out appliances etc , plus have the traditional kitchen with island bench.

Chelmer · More Info

Coolum · More Info

Coolum 2 · More Info

Sinnamon park · More Info

Bristow Design thanked Civic Steel Homes
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

i love my walk in pantry because i have about 4 metres of 2 metre tall shelves of various depths to store supplies and equipment and the outside walls of the pantry also have extra cabinets, shelves and counters that doubles the usable storage in my kitchen but i don't understand why some would have a sink or built in appliances in the pantry in order to keep the public kitchen tidy???

Bristow Design thanked oklouise
  • Judy
    7 years ago

Allow me to explain, oklouise :-) Apart from being a gadget maniac, I am also a coffee snob. I have a serious espresso machine, which requires running water. As coffee making (apart from taking up a lot of benchspace) is a messy business, I like to have a "coffee department" where it can't be seen and I definitely need a (small) sink next to it. I certainly wouldn't want my main fridge in the butler's pantry, but an extra fridge/freezer is always handy. The ideal one (if money was no object) would be this one

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

Depends on your budget and priorities. With a architect designed house costing $2.5K+ per m2, and wet area probably costing more, I question the wisdom of spending money on an space that most people will not use. A smaller walk in pantry is great, but who wants to wash up and prepare food in a cupboard? Put the money into a real feature of your house that you will actually use, your ensuite, the kitchen the deck etc.

Bristow Design thanked Gallifrey
  • Tina
    7 years ago

I too prefer the idea of a larger walk in pantry. Cooking is a social event and having appliances stored away but in sight when entering your pantry is a winner for me. If I built though, I think I would be inclined to go for a butlers pantry. As I am remodelling and have limited space I have allowed for a larger walk in pantry and island bench, the best of both worlds

Bristow Design thanked Tina
  • Kim Westwood
    7 years ago

we are in the middle of kitchen renos and yes we are having a butlers pantry. beside the kitchen was an old laundry that was moved out to the shed a few years back. this area was virtually unused except for the fridge that was too big for the kitchen. So now we are transforming it into the butlers pantry. It already has an internal sliding door. All we have done is to take out the back door & large window. Blocked it all off & added small narrow width window, which my husband made (just for the extra light). Recycled some kitchen cupboards and then adding lots of shelves. We have a small sink, extra power points for tea making, toast etc. all things to keep the kitchen clutter free.

Bristow Design thanked Kim Westwood
  • PRO
    Bristow Design
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This kitchen was originally designed with a butler's pantry but the clients decided they would prefer a larger island bench instead.

I think they made the right choice as this kitchen is now a dramatic feature in the open plan living room. Practical design is always a balancing act. Bristow Architecture

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

I voted no because it didn't suit me with my build but I'm not against them at all and quite frankly would have loved to have been able to still have one.

Bristow Design thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • jmm1837
    7 years ago

I have one. It's not huge, and definitely no place to do prep (though it has a sink which gets used in emergencies). It's essentially a walk in pantry which houses the microwave, the wine fridge, the toaster, the kettle, cookbooks and some of the pantry goods that I don't use every day. My coffee station is in the kitchen just outside the pantry because that's where I like to make coffee, and where the cups and mugs are. My prep space is in the kitchen because it has bigger benches and because I am not doing prep in a windowless closet. I do admit to stuffing dirty pots and pans in the pantry and closing the door when entertaining. And there is that wine fridge...

Essentially, it's an extension of the working kitchen that can be hidden when we have guests, and that provides extra storage. I like having it, am not convinced that putting in the sink was necessary, and don't "get" the concept of doing cooking in there while keeping the kitchen itself virginal.

Bristow Design thanked jmm1837
  • Judy
    7 years ago

I don't keep my kitchen virginal either, :-) but I do some of the prep in there, especially when using a gadget that's in there. All prep done by hand is done in the kitchen. I don't have a lot of free bench-space in the pantry, so couldn't do the prep in there, even if I wanted to. My microwave is in the kitchen - no room for it in the pantry, but I prefer it in the kitchen anyway

• Vy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love my butler's pantry..wish it was a bit bigger if only I have the room

Bristow Design thanked Vy
  • solveiggillis
    7 years ago

I love a big pantry - but only as a place to store food. I also love an open plan kitchen as it makes cooking really sociable. But the butler's pantry seems to be a step backwards towards a separate kitchen area, even if it is just for washing up, or some prep. Why would I want to work in a tiny, usually windowless room, when I can work out in my kitchen with lovely views? Yes there is mess involved with cooking - so what? Why should I pretend that meals evolve with no mess and no effort? If I wanted to entertain that way I would get some caterers in!

Bristow Design thanked solveiggillis
  • Judy
    7 years ago

It isn't the mess I have a problem with, it is all the appliances taking up real estate on the bench, leaving very little room to actually work. When I'm cooking I like to have lots of clear space to spread out on. I think of the butler's pantry as a pantry with a very large appliance cupboard included. I don't wash up in there, nor do I do any prep, except for the prep that the machines do. I do make my coffee in there, mostly because my coffee machine is very big, (with the coffee grinder next to it it is 54x52cm, not including the other peripherals needed) taking up a lot of room and it does need to stand next to the sink

• Vy
    7 years ago

my butler's has my microwave and appliances more for breakfast stuff..toasts ..coffee..and also to store food once I've prepped as no room in the kitchen ..I've got a galley kitchen ..a big stove and 2 sinks ..2 drainers..

sometimes I do prep in there but most time in the kitchen or dining table..better view..

my dishwasher and sink are in the kitchen

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

VY your kitchen and butlers pantry sounds like a great setup, a very practical kitchen indeed.

I don't think enough people put enough effort into the thought of putting in a butlers pantry, these days, the kitchen being the hub of the home, it's so much more important to have less clutter in the kitchen area where people hang out.

So I believe that putting in some sort of extra rom, even if its just small one really does help, especially when food prep is happening and extra storage is needed.

Kitchen's are so much more than just an oven these days…. think more than just a sink!

Thanks for the great read, and fantastic tips….

Bristow Design thanked User
  • Vy
    7 years ago

In The Closet..I actually went around my old kitchen noted down how many cupboards I had ..how many drawers..how many more of each I wanted..sat down with graph paper and designed my kitchen ..

The pantry was suppose to have one extra shelf but because of pipes we ended up with one less shelf ..

So even with being in an apartment my kitchen is much more functional in terms of storage space than my old place..

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    This is my kitchen and pantry that we are building. Not quite a butlers pantry but plenty of room for storage in there as well as in the kitchen.
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Forgot to add that there is a cavity sliding door that blocks off the pantry and the little bench in the kitchen has a microwave built in above it. The window on the sink side was also extended to the end of the bench.
    Bristow Design thanked hagan_38
  • Vy
    7 years ago

hagan_38 doesn't look like you've got enough storage? for crockery ..pots etc are there cupboards below and above?

• Vy
    7 years ago

your bench next to the pantry I'd convert that into a whole wall of cupboards..this is mine lots of storage ..you seem to have heaps of bench on the other side..and your fixed shelves in the scullery can double as your pantry :)

my other bit of storage is underneath my island ..

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    I thought I had enough storage. Too late to change it now though as it has been put in. There are four sets of drawers under the island bench too which you can't see in the photo.
  • jmm1837
    7 years ago

That looks pretty good to me. I expect those drawers in the island will get a real workout - I wish I had more drawers and fewer shelves...

• Vy
    7 years ago

jmm the drawers are great ..they house my pots..my baking trays..chopping boards..drink bottles ..lunch boxes ..plastic wares..and the smaller ones cutlery ..utensils..baking stuff..cake decorating ..tea towels..and spices as I haven't found a solution for my spices ..no room for spice racks

• Vy
    7 years ago

hagan_38 worse comes to worse your pantry can double as storage..looks all right..

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

I keep my spices on one (well, actually two) of these:

• Vy
    7 years ago

jmm..I have no bench space ..so they are in one of those fridge compartment..second drawer below my cook top..

• macyjean
    7 years ago

I read in one of those decorating articles the local newspaper links to, the ones where experts list the five next big trends or the ten things you should discard now, I read that butlers pantries are on their way out. Okay everybody, start ripping out walls.

How ridiculous. Surely this is another case of whatever works for you and your lifestyle. I have seen butlers pantries in display homes which are way bigger and fancier than we ourselves would need and like many people we manage without one at all at the moment, but since kitchens changed from a discrete functional room to a part of the living space I think having an area where clutter and dirty dishes can be kept out of sight is a good idea.

Bristow Design thanked macyjean
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Thanks Vy. The plan was to use the pantry in the kitchen as storage and the shelving in the scullery will be for food storage. I have 8 sets of drawers in the kitchen area. There is a bench in the scullery with cupboards under that as well. It is more storage than my last place which is a positive
  • Vy
    7 years ago

hagan_38 :) you'll love it ..so much space..

found out that with 5 double power points in my pantry and with all my appliances I can't have them all out anyway..so only got a rice cooker ..kettle..toaster..jaffles maker..and my daughter her magic bullet thingy ..

my cake mixer and processor and whatever else is being stored up high..

• Judy
    7 years ago

I have never been one to follow trends. I don't care whether my kitchen is suitable to appear in the next glossy magazine, as long as it is functional for what I want. I look at "trends" just in case there is something new out there that looks functional for my needs, but I certainly wouldn't care if something I like is no longer "on trend" What is funny, I think, is that (having come from Europe) my grandmother's kitchen, complete with butler's pantry (not called that, of course) was very much like the kitchen I want today (with more power points, of course)

I really think it is amazing how we are back to the future. When I came to Australia, no one heard of parquetry (or even timber - HAD to be covered with wall to wall carpet) I remember my Aunty was having a house built in the 60s and had huge arguments with the builder... She wanted ceramic tiles in her kitchen and laundry and the builder told her she was mad. She also wanted parquetry. She won the argument (had a lot of trouble finding a person the lay the parquetry) but the builder told her that she will be calling him back in 6 months to rip it all up.

We also had an indoor clothes line, that you could pull up and down to the ceiling with a pulley. I just read about someone "inventing" this here. :-)

Just remembered another thing we have recently invented here. Double glazing :-)

• Judy
    7 years ago

Vy, I suppose we all have different needs. There is no way I'd be storing my cake mixer and processor up high. Firstly, they would never be used, as I would need assistance to take them down every time I needed them. I suppose if I had no room for everything, I'd be storing things that are light, so easily moved. Even so, (being short) I'd store them below the bench, not above. I would move the toaster and kettle into the kitchen, as they are small, so don't take up a lot of bench space

I have actually seen shelves that can be lifted to bench height when needed (probably expensive)

• jmm1837
    7 years ago

The microwave, toaster and kettle are permanently set up in my butler's. We use them mostly for breakfast, and the coffee machine is on the kitchen bench right outside, so mornings are done and dusted, so to speak. I keep the rice cooker, slow cooker, sandwich press, blender and (very small) food processor (and, though I blush to admit it, the popcorn popper) on shelves in the butlers, but they get used in the kitchen. The bread box is in there, the veggie bins, the wine fridge (I think I've mentioned that before), the wine racks, and things like dried beans and lentils, rice and pasta, along with cookbooks. The arrangement works for me.

I do remember the indoor clothes lines hanging from the ceiling - my grandparents had one in their kitchen back in the 1950s. Everything old is new again, I guess.

• Varinia
    7 years ago

I just want a butler and a chef lol

Bristow Design thanked Varinia
  • Judy
    7 years ago

Well, don't we all! However, I'd guess that if you'd have a butler and a chef, you wouldn't need a butler's pantry, as you'd never go near the kitchen. In fact, from what I hear, people with chefs have very basic kitchens. They don't see the necessity to have everything that opens and shuts, as only the "help" will be using it.

• Robert Hunter
    6 years ago

Our "Butler's" is set up with a half sink, bar fridge, microwave, blender, espresso machine and grinder with other appliances on shelves below the bench making them easily accessible. Obviously food storage as well as alcohol. You could argue it is a glorified cupboard but it adds to kitchen functionality and tidiness such that we could not imagine life without one now.

• Illuminide Interiors
    6 years ago

I think any space you can hide stuff and close the door especially in a kitchen is always a winner.