Houzz Logo Print
liam83

Major renovation - Exterior colour choices

Liam A
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all - I am in the middle of a large renovation of an original 1970 3 bedroom home in Canberra. We have completely gutted the interior and added an extension. I am up to the stage of choosing a colour for the render, but also for a colourbond corrugated cladding feature that wraps around 3/4 of the house. So far the colours we have are monument for the tiles, gutters, fascia, and windows. I was thinking a Dune colour for the render, then maybe even monument again for the colourbond corrugated cladding. After I have sat on this for a while, I am becoming a little unsure if this is the right way to go and if I need to sneak a third colour into that cladding. I wouldn't mind going a lighter grey, but I don't want it to throw off any blues, but at the same time I don't want the house to look too sterile. We are in an established suburb and would like to blend in in a way that compliments the surround trees, rather than fighting against them and trying to make a statement. I am hoping I could consult the many talented houzzers on this one to offer some advice and give some options that we haven't thought of yet.

I have created a line drawing of the western side of the house (the first image) that I can use to change the colours around to see what can work. Here is what I have so far. Top is Surfmist render with shale grey cladding... my wife has mentioned that this one is a no as surfmist is too light. I tend to agree. Bottom is Dune render and monument corrugated cladding

Some background on the project - this is all being done by my uncle, wife and myself with the help of a select few trades. It is a huge project and doing it mostly by ourselves is giving us a huge amount of satisfaction. Sacrificing our weekends for this year will be worth it.

Comments (9)