Houzz Logo Print
coby_pirrello2

Please help with master/ensuite/robe layout

CL P
7 years ago

About to start extension/Reno and I know there is much better use of this space I just can't get it onto paper- and now I've become overwhelmed and my head hurts! :-(

the robe entry should be off to the side but apart from that I can't decide on anything..

The window placement and the adjacent bedroom wall are the only things set in stone.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (28)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My head hurts too, but from a cold, so I sympathise. I am bumping this thread, into active.

• PRO
    Annie Cass Landscapes
    7 years ago

Okay, I'll play! Your drawing doesn't look terribly clear. I'm having trouble working out where the windows are, but it looks like the dressing room has no window. I'd want some daylight in there, possibly a tall, narrow window in the middle of the outside wall. That dog-leg bedroom entrance seems awkward, and I wonder if it might not make more sense to enter the bedroom suite by the dressing room, so that you have the entrance to the three rooms opposite the narrow window, with the bedroom and bathroom doors almost facing each other the other way, except that each of these doors might be in the centre of each of the walls they are set in.

In this way, the dressing room is larger, better proportioned and more usable. The bedroom gains an additional layer of privacy, too.

• Related Discussions

Need help with Master bedroom / robe / ensuite layout for reno

Q

Comments (4)
    is the TV room to be included in the master suite, what are the measurements of the rooms and where is the third dormer??
    ...See More

Master Bedroom, Robe & Ensuite Layout Help

Q

Comments (4)
    where is north and do you have gorgeous views out those big windows and where does the bedroom door open to? ...there isn't a much better layout although moving the wall will allow more wall space in the wiw and a more generous ensuite with careful choice of fixtures including a 90cm wide vanity with drop in basin, narrow toilet in a 80cm wide space and walk in shower 160cm x 90cm and wide mirror doored wall cabinet and a ventilating sklight the ensuite should be much more comfortable and allows extra wall space for 4.65m of storage in the wiw plus dressing space and room for 3 x 90cm wide chests of drawers and a chair etc
    ...See More

Please help with layout for Master WIR & Ensuite

Q

Comments (27)
    the shower room is about 2700 long and wet shower floor about 1500 so dry standing space should be about 1200 and towel rail about 2.5m away from the shower head so heated towel rail shouldn't be a problem ...the sliding glass door is meant to enclose all the moisture within the shower room and to be kept away from all the other rooms while still allowing light from the skylight to be shared with the adjoining rooms by retaining the slope in the existing ceilings and adding a ventilating skylight directly above the shower and adding fixed panes of glass in the wall between the shower space and the other small rooms and having just the 2200- 2400 tall partition behind the bed and between the ens and wiw...the wardrobes could still have the storage built up to 2400 and the dust can just stay where it lands and sparkle in all that lovely light...sadly, i have two perfectly sized Velux roof windows awaiting a new home but transport costs could far outweigh the cost of buying local but i've occasionaly seen them offered on Gumtree etc so start looking
    ...See More

Master En-suite Help

Q

Comments (29)
    I also like oklouise plan. good insulation is the key. In your original posted plan, Maybe change where the beds are positioned in the room. I think there is some bad feng shui if your head is backing onto a toilet. Apart from the noise factor, every time the toilet is flushed.
    ...See More
  • CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, sorry, just realised how horrible the photo was. I'll try again.

Yes the dog leg is akward.

hopefully the Windows show up better on the new pic.

These plans have been submitted, so I'm of the understanding the exterior window & door placements need to stay as they are in the plan? Or is it easy to change that? Sorry, I'm a total Reno newbie obviously and the plans were kind of rushed by the designer just to get the DA in and rolling. But that's a whole other show.

I've included an exterior pic, to give a better idea of the other side.

Thanks again for your reply!

• C P
    7 years ago

My main issue is where are you going to place your bed with three narrow windows on one wall and a large window on the other wall. I think because of this you should rethink your entry and maybe as suggested enter into the dressing room.

CL P thanked C P
  • CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yep definitely willing to rethink internal layout, as all walls will be new anyway.

I really actually feel like swearing in frustration!

Its hard to convey in a thread without knowing people here, and possibly offending anyone, but the more I look at our plans the more disappointed I am.

I really don't know what to do. Deep down I know there is a better way to layout the entire house, but financially, we gotta work smart.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhoea. And thank you again for the suggestions :-)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Vent away, I don't mind listening.

For furniture placement, don't make all Windows full height. Start some at waist or chest height.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    In any final design process it is important to position your furniture to scale so your windows are appropriately positioned or, if fixed in place, the walls can change. All the frustration now will pay dividends later.
  • Linda Olle
    7 years ago

As a house flipper I am constantly faced with design dilemmas, most notably to make sure that my designs appeal to the majority of potential buyers so I understand your frustration! As it happens, I am currently drawing up ideas and plans for my own bedroom/WIR/ensuite changes. Unfortunately I am doing it in an existing house, not a new build, so limited by what is already there! From your design, I would move the bedroom entry door closer to the end of that wall (i.e. nearer towards the storage cupboard) and have the entry to the WIR on that wall in the master breezeway. These days you can get cavity sliders from 620 wide upwards which is what I would put there.

I agree with Annie Cass Landscapes too, the bathroom needs more privacy and this would provide it. Having the doors opposite each other means that sound (you know, the 'nasties') and smells carry easier so this amendment would change that. You will also gain an extra wall in the bedroom without windows to place a dresser or hall table or just a big piece of art.

I think you should also consider a skylight in the WIR. Natural light all day is a must. There are so many designs now they don't have to be huge and obtrusive. Having a window on the external wall may help but depending on which way your home faces, you may just end up with dazzling bright light in your eyes each time you walk in! You also lose valuable wall space.

Imagine a skylight in the middle, and four equidistant recessed lights around it with undershelf LED strips that turn on when you open the door. I found an amazing little gadget online (Australian made so good quality) that is inserted into the slider and it's counterpart into the door frame. You can't see it when filled and painted. It's a magnet suspensed in a tube of fluid. When the magnet breaks contact, the lights come on. I have soft undershelf LED lights in my pantry with this setup and it fantastic. It means I don't have to turn on the overheads unless I specifically need to see something. I am putting this in my WIR when I do it. You will need a powerpoint in the WIR (which is what I suggest) if you don't get the LED's hard wired. It's handy to have a double powerpoint in there anyway for vacuum cleaners etc. That way the only pp's you need in the bedroom are the one's for the bedsides!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi

Can you post a shot of the entire existing and proposed layout? Don't worry, there are always options that are cost effective and still allow you to have something that adds more than just a room.

You may end up where you are but at least you have explored them as you are doing now.

Cheers

CL P thanked User
  • CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Once the kids are in bed I'll read over them again with better attention span!

I will post a shot of the whole house layout, which shows existing and proposed, shortly. Thanks again :-)

• CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ok, so be kind. It's not great but we're limited by budget.

I know there are other issues with the proposed layout- but Specifically I'm not happy with the bathroom/laundry layout or the fact that guests would have to go so far to the bathroom.

The odd shaped bedroom at the front I'm also not happy with, but is partly my fault. The designer wanted to put the office there, but the office was only installed last year so I need it to stay put where it is- Too costly to move it now.

We also thought by leaving the existing bedrooms where they were would be more cost effective, But we also definitely need an extra bedroom.

The doors into the proposed laundry are a must as one leads to the clothesline and the other provides an entry from the pool area for a quick toilet run.

Also worth noting that all existing (cedar) Windows will be removed and replaced with aluminium Windows.

thank you so much for taking the time!

looking forward to the feedback!

• CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ps. Linda, the LED lights sound awesome! could I get a link please!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hi CLP

Ok, I can see a number of issues that can be fixed with a little tweaking.

Please understand that these comments are not intended to criticize you or your designer. They are just a different take on what we see.

1. Master bedroom. When we renovate an area, we try to design so that to walk into a room, we do not see the bed from the entry. Re orienting the entry to the bedroom will give it a better feel. Here is a quick and dirty re-work of the room below.

The entry doors can be cavity sliders and I haven't spent any time on the ensuite layout so it is pretty basic, however you can see that you can easily accommodate a separate toilet. This layout is neither right nor wrong. It is just an example of what can be done differently and has a different feel.

It is creating a passage next to your walk in so that you don't feel like you are going through the robe to get to the ensuite.

Better designers than I can progress this.

2. Laundry/bathroom. With all of this space, I would definitely be building a separate toilet, and not one sitting in the middle of a laundry. Also, I would not locate a toilet opposite a vanity as every time someone looks in the mirror they (same as ensuite) see the toilet.

1. You have massive space in the bathrooms yet the designer is drawing semi recessed basins? Is that by choice? You have the space to have impressive cabinetry.

4. Bathroom location. I am assuming there is a reason (plumbing cost?) for the bathroom at the end? Otherwise, why don't you move the bathroom to say where bed 2 or 3 are and rework the bedrooms?

5. Living Room. Not sure of your lifestyle but the living room itself is massive, yet other than the long passage wall, has little feature or place to locate TV etc. You could leave a section of the existing wall there. A short dividing wall could be a feature heater on one side and TV mount on the other. eg

7. We would try to incorporate a walk in linen in addition to the laundry

Cheers

• CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha your a sunglasses lady, I'm a shoe lady!

That makes perfectly good sense! I was trying to make the robe entry over on the far right near the narrow window but this looks like a much better (and easier) option!

Thanks again :-)

• CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks two's company. Yes I agree with not seeing the bed from the entry. Actually pretty much everything you've said!

In regards to bathroom and laundry placement, yes and no, the plumbing is currently in the top left corner being the current ensuite & laundry behind it. The plumbing would obviously have to move to the proposed bathroom anyway so I can definitely explore your option I guess.

Love the walk in linen idea. I did say that to the designer but, like many things in the plan, we were left a little underwhelmed..

• CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you know if I were to change the layout around inside- if that affects the council aspect? Assuming that I'm not removing any major weight bearing walls, windows etc?

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

HI,

Generally there are two parts to an approval process. One is the Planning Application (also known as a DA). During this process, they are assessing things such as height, plot ratio, setbacks, overlooking, compliance with local overlays (eg character), state relevant codes etc. In other words, they are simply assessing WHAT you want to do and does it comply.

The second part is the Building Permit itself. This is where the HOW you are going to build it comes into play and requires the engineering, specification, construction detail etc.

You are correct re the windows being part of the Planning process and if you continue with that application you can either amend it or work within the layout you have. It depends on how critical the timing is to your build.

In truth, from the tone of your unease it may be smarter in the long run to place a hold on the whole application until you have it sorted to your satisfaction, or amend it to get it how you want. It is a lot of money to spend on a design you are locked into if you don't like it.

Cheers

• hanayuki
    7 years ago

Do not, under any circumstances, put a window in the robe unless you plan to put doors on everything. The light from even a small window, will fade all clothes on the side that faces out. This happened to my mother, who had a closet with a small window set above the shelves and didn't really let much light in, but it ruined every item of clothing stored in it by fading one sleeve, including her mink coat, and her expensive cashmere coat!

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Yes put a bit of a halt on the job until you have the floor plan design sorted. It looks like you're spending a lot of money so to compromise the design is not good!

I can't say I'm a fan of entering a bedroom via a dressing room. I did see a plan recently where a bedroom was entered by going through a bathroom (I kid you not, a new house by a NSW based project home company!)

Natural light is great in any room but privacy is important too so a skylight could be a better option than a window in dressing room.

Layout furniture in the design as well and consider the heights so they don't interfere with window sills, etc.

• CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes- won't be a window in there and definitely won't be starting until I'm 100% happy with the floor plan.

All we've done so far is had the pool put in (in the last few weeks) So will still need to do footings, agi lines etc before the house part starts.

the underneath garages & new entry will be first cabs off the rank with the extension (shell) above that.

Was just trying to nut out the master as that will be the easiest place to start as it won't effect our living in the existing home.

on the other side of that staircase where proposed kitchen / walk in pantry is though is proving to be far more time consuming for my mind. I'm thinking maybe I need to remove or change one of those windows on the right hand side so to allow more area to play with for the pantry. Kind of a butlers pantry, but without the sink in it. I want all my electrical appliances stored in there, as well as large pots/pans & usual pantry contents. We have a massive 800L fridge with pigeon doors & two bottom drawers- ie. Quite a big ss unit, and I'm starting to wonder if I could work it so I could shove that in there too (as its not the most visually appealing thing I'd like to see in the kitchen) as I'm trying to go for a minimalist look.

so any suggestions for other components are also welcome and appreciated :-)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

By the look of it you'd need to add a good metre or so to the pantry to fit the fridge in somewhere and the living area could be difficult for furniture placement.

I would sit down with a kitchen place before going to far as well to sort out the pantry size.

I would also look at laundry position too as it compromises the living area furniture layout. Moving the door in the bedroom hallway to one end will assist rather than being bang in the middle of a wall.

• Linda Olle
    7 years ago

Hi again CLP. I don't call myself a "Pro" but I do have my own company purchasing, renovating and selling or renting properties as well as designing for other clients. I have an architect and builder whom I have worked with for years and we pretty much have a lot of things down pat by now. I also don't like to be a naysayer on other peoples work, but with Two's Company's ideas just be aware, and picture in your head, that you will have to keep the door to the WIR permanently closed. That, or be looking into your wardrobe all the time. Also, there is no door to close from the WIR/bedroom. Again, you'll be looking into your wardrobe all the time and if someone is in there with the lights on while another is trying to sleep????? Nope. The other way also allows for someone to walk between the ensuite and WIR without disturbing the person in bed. It may be fine for you now, but what happens if one of you takes on night shift, or one of you has a baby to get up to in the night, or one on you is sick all night and the other has to work the next day??????

You also lose valuable wall space for shelves or drawers with that design (3 walls) Swinging doors need space to open out and with the placement of the door to the ensuite, the wall behind one of them becomes unusable unless you walk in, close the door, then go into the ensuite. Cavity sliders give you clean wall space for freestanding cabinets and you can suspend rods from roof rafters for your shelves with hanging rails on them instead of fixing to wall studs.

The comment about not looking at the side of the bed is valid, however if the 'suite' door is moved down as I suggested, the bed, and bedroom, will only be seen by someone standing directly in that alcove/hall area and facing the room!

We all have different ways of living and seeing a design on paper can look really good...........but you need to see it in your head. Picture yourself living in and using the space. If need be, set up boxes to something approximating the design and actually walk through it. Good luck!

CL P thanked Linda Olle
  • CL P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All very true, planning to get the tape out today and start taping layouts on floor to see if that helps!

• archie04
    7 years ago
    I always think having a bathroom reached via a wardrobe is a bad idea because of the steam. Am I wrong to think this could end up damaging your clothes - particularly stuff you might wear often?
  • archie04
    7 years ago
    Sorry - I also think a skylight in a wir is a bad idea. You will end up fading your clothes - unless they're behind closed doors.
  • archie04
    7 years ago
    One other thought - is it super important to reach your ensuite from inside the master bedroom? We had a similar prob and resolved it by putting ours across a short hall. Two steps to reach it and we are a small family of 4 so privacy isn't an issue. Plus it means a guest can use it without walking through our bedroom. Don't know if this helps, but sometimes when you're stuck, it can be good to shake up your assumptions and see if you can look at it differently...