Houzz Logo Print
arcmaz

How can we make our small open plan 2 bedroom beach house bigger?

arcmaz
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We fell in the love with this house based on the back yard and the feel we had when on the property. It didn't tick many of our boxes ( it has only 2 bedrooms when we really need 3, it has no storage and small living areas which don't open up to the back yard for entertaining).
It is our first home and as a young family with a soon to be 2 year old rambunctious limitless boy!
We have been here for nearly 6 months and I am eager to make it out style but also don't want to have to do things twice.
My partner and I are both creatives and have big ideas but we aren't sure what's best. Whether we accept its a 2 bedroom and make small cosmetic changes and extend the outdoor living space and look to sell and move to a bigger place. Or do we do a relatively large Reno and completely change the layout and facade of the house.
It has beautiful light and we love the beach feel, but unfortunately when we have visitors there's not enough space for the adults and the kids.
I'd love to add another bedroom, replace the kitchen so it opens to the yard and have a dining living area off that. Only issue is our currently layout. The bathroom is in the middle of the house and the main bedroom would lose an east facing window. We could put a skylight in to open the light and a long south facing window above the bed. As you can see I'm lost!!!
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you from a confused and frustrated first home buyer.

Comments (27)