Houzz Logo Print
jmacalice

Help with bathroom renovation

Jess
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all, I need some advice on the best layout for our bathroom. It currently contains a large shower, 900mm vanity and a toilet (that is too close to the shower). We want to redo it to include a bath for our little one. We also want to retain a separate shower. It is a small, not far off square bathroom (2.1 X 2.0).
We have a separate toilet but would like to retain a second one but it could go in our laundry if need be, buuuuttt if I can find a design that allows the second toilet to stay in the bathroom that would be ideal. I came up with a possibility (see attached) that included a separate bath and shower as well as a toilet and vanity but it would require using a concertina style bifold door or maybe a door that opens out? And I'm worried that there's not enough room between the shower and toilet.
Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd also be keen to hear suggestions for optimal layout that just include a vanity, separate bath (1205mm long is the one in keen on) and shower with no toilet as even that is a challenge with the space we've got to work with. Thanks in advance for your creative consideration!

Comments (37)

• Vy
    7 years ago

I don't think you can squeeze all that in there..

1/ walk in shower will splash everywhere ..I have one..my side panel is 1.1m and it splashes out to 1.5-1.6m etc my bathroom is 1.75m by 2m a bit smaller than yours

which means your toilet will always be wet..not very functional..

2/ I would have a shower over a bath ? not ideal but if you really want a bath for your little one..

my bath nozzle is in the middle not under the shower which means you can still lie down both end ..I have 2 girls that love their baths..

and also if you have a shower you're not bumping into the bath nozzle

3/ just say toilet plus enough room to get in to mop ..900mm plus 900mm for vanity you only have 300mm from your vanity to your doorway..

what about a sliding door?

• Vy
    7 years ago

This is one of my bathroom 2m by 1.9m bathroom so you can compare..2m is the wall that runs along the bath..

• Related Discussions

Bathroom Renovate - toilet in bathroom or separate?

Q

Comments (6)
    I would have to say, it is not, a no no. However, how you decide to do this will determine whether it is positive or negative. If the toilet is in direct view as you enter it is likely to be negative, but the impact can be reduced with a smaller pan and an in-wall cistern. Noise and smell are often factors that will influence the decision. So, the smell can be overcome with an automated odor extraction system and there are also low noise inlet valves available. As far as property value is concerned there is a multitude of scenarios and just as many opinions, so consider how much convenience this will give you and how long you intend to stay in the property? perhaps it may be better enjoy your home the way you would like it to be.
    ...See More

Bathroom Renovation - 2019 HIA Bathroom of the Year Nominee

Q

Comments (13)
    Amazing, can't believe it is the same space!! looks much more roomier. Well done!
    ...See More

Looking at renovation to bathroom & Kitchen. Help!

Q

Comments (15)
    Basic drawing to keep the budget checked, I would keep the kitchen insitu, removing the return bench top and adding a bank of pantry cupboards. Access into the bathroom for the bedrooms needs to be retained. Both the bathroom and kitchen are 2.5 wide, so kitchen would have 600 deep pantry, 600 deep benchtop which gives 1.3 between them, Fridge remains in place
    ...See More

Help with bathroom renovation

Q

Comments (28)
    A full gut and redo of a bathroom is not a cheap exercise why don’t you post a floor plan of house. We can give you some layout ideas and you can get quotes of diff options from professionals. If you keep tiling to minimum and choose affordable tiles and fixtures this will help as would having the bathroom near existing plumbing. Using a new room allows the existing bathroom to stay in service until the new one is ready.
    ...See More
  • Vy
    7 years ago

you can flip this over..brainstorming too quick :) to give the shower cubicle door some room to swing your vanity needs to be smaller than 900mm ie 600mm?

also choose a vanity that's slim with a bowl hanging out..

and like suggested cavity slider or external slider..?

bath 1205mm thus shower 895mm

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

Can you install a sliding door rather than a bifold. I have bifold like this in a rental, and it is a real pain.

• Vy
    7 years ago

something like this ?:)

• Vy
    7 years ago

external slider..

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Good work Vy. And you are always generous in sharing your own bathroom photos.

Reeces have a bathroom planner. It would help you draw your plan to scale. And don't be afraid to mark out the layout in masking tape on the floor of the lounge. Doing that saved me from making a toilet too small, something that would have been a great annoyance every day.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

bigreader that's my fav bathroom that's why :) need to excuse the mess..I'm still figuring out permanent storage :)

• how2girl
    7 years ago
    @Vy what mess??
  • Vy
    7 years ago

how2girl mess on that trolley ..beach house bathroom..

regretted I didn't get storage put in ..thought I didn't have enough room

• alisonwallace
    7 years ago
    I've been working on a similar problem. How about a larger bath along the full length of the 2000ml wall, a walk in shower on the left 2100 wall (which would splash into the bath) and the vanity where you've got it at the moment in your plan. You'd need to put the toilet elsewhere but wouldn't need to compromise on the size of your bath or shower. You could get a custom vanity with a bench running across the bath so you may not even need a non-standard door. I hope my plan is decipherable!
  • how2girl
    7 years ago

@Vy, you could put one of those 2 door mirror cabinets above the basin. They hold quite a bit.

• Vy
    7 years ago

how2girl thank you..I'm after a freestanding one..not a fan of mirror cabinets..

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    Lose toilet put bath on toilet vanity wall then have bigger shower really need 90x90 (80 is too small) and have vanity where you've got bath
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

While it does all technically fit it will be quite pokey and tight with not a lot of room to get dressed/undressed, etc. You'd have to be pretty sure you're wanting it to be so packed in. Shower over bath, lose the bath, relocate toilet, etc. perhaps?

• Vy
    7 years ago

what about one of these ? enough room to shower and also double as a tub..

• Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and particularly Vy for sharing your pics and ideas. And yes, what mess??
    I really need to have a separate shower due to a back issue so would lose the second toilet rather than insert shower bath combo.

I gathered I'd have to come back to just including the vanity, bath and shower.
    I really like the idea that allowed me to include a full size bath along the 2m wall. Good to know others are grappling with this too! I had considered that layout but was a bit worried about having a shower screen immediately on the left when you come through the door. Do you think that would be OK?
  • Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks alisonwallace for sharing your sketch - love that idea. Bit worried though about the glass shower screen being immediately on the left as you walk through the door.
    Unfortunately a pocket cavity slider isn't an option so it's either a bifold or opening out door.
    Does anyone have experience in living with an opening out door?
    Oh and thanks for the tip re the Reece bathroom planner and the suggestion to tape out the plan to test it out. Great idea.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

opening out is no problem if you have enough room..ie..when you have an L shape corridor then the door can open out to the wall adjacent etc ..

or the bathroom is at the end of a corridor..

• Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes bathroom is at the end of a corridor so no issue from that perspective.
    Other option is to have vanity along the wall that the door is on and have bath opposite and shower along the same wall as the bath in the corner.
    Ideally I'd have bath and shower along the long wall to the left as you come through the door and a longer vanity running along the opposite long wall just not sure if a regular depth vanity would be OK opposite a 900 shower.
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    Have you considered a barn door (sliding, fixed to the outside)? Can you live with a small tub as a shower base, which is big enough for the kids to have a splash. Not sure you can still get these?

I showered our kids even before they could stand up. Perhaps a tub could be sacrificed?
  • Megan Hall
    7 years ago

A friend had a bath/shower which was built into the floor, like a swimming pool. It had a step at one end, glass screen 3/4 of the way along. It did use a lot of water as you could fully lay down in it but you could make it shorter. The inside of the bath was tiled. Great bath.

• alisonwallace
    7 years ago
    With the glass door on the left, one option is to put it on a hinge so it can be folded out of the way when the shower isn't in use. More exy, but possibly the only option. We have an outside opening door at the end of a corridor. It's on an automatic closer which keeps the door out of the way. It works well.
  • rossnbillie
    7 years ago

My husband renovated the bathroom in our investment home. It was quite a similar size bathroom just a bit more rectangle. We also wanted to put a bath in it for most people who rented it had kids and wanted a bath. We had a wall hung vanity which made the bathroom appear bigger. Was definitely not enough room for a toilet.

• PRO
    DM2Architecture
    7 years ago

Not difficult to fit everything in without compromising circulation.

Using the 1300mm bath dimension, bath and shower side by side along the 2000mm wall.

WC at end of bath and vanity on opposite wall adjacent shower.

Door to the centre with internal face slider to allow towel rails in the inner face.

• Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your input. Some great ideas.
    DM2Architecture - was very excited by the design but unfortunately the door can't be moved and isn't centred in the room. It's on the far right. That design could probably still work though but with a smaller vanity.
    Can't do a slider door externally but hadn't considered one that was on the inside of the room.

Good idea re the glass panel being on a hinge (concertina style). I had been looking at shower panels that can do that.

Had also considered a Roman style bath but would be hard to dig down.
    I've also considered a shallow shower base bath combo but would prefer to go with separate bath and shower if I can.

Happy to forgo the toilet and put that in the laundry.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

sorry only read it now no bath shower combo..it's been bugging me..I hate it when I can't solve a problem ..

here's another plan for you..walk in shower all the way in..your side glass panel comes out 1100mm you've got 2000mm if your vanity is about 300mm deep you've still got 600mm to walk through to the vanity

this way you've got full access to the bath to bathe your young ones without worrying about bumping into the vanity

and since you are set on the door opening out the vanity won't block your way out

• Vy
    7 years ago

this one is 350mm deep

http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/products/adp/adp-essence-mkii-900-semi-recessed-vanity-unit-2304883

another 330mm deep

http://www.renovationkingdom.com.au/adp-indigo-wall-hung-vanity-1800mm-l-x-330mm-d-x-380mm-h.html

or get a bench custom made to 300mm width and semi recess your basin to it..

that's what they did at our old place

• marko1969
    7 years ago
    I do bathrooms every day of the week and I can tell you now that,
    If you really want a bath in that space and shower just do a shower over bath I noticed your shower was 800mm wide this is to small for a shower 900mm minimum.
    Forget the bifold doors put in a cavity slider or if this is not possible do a face of wall sliding door on the out side of the bathroom.
    If you really really want separate bath & shower move the toilet into the laundry.
    Get an 1800mm deep
    soaker bath and run it along the 2000mm wall run your shower along the 2100mm wall opposite the vanity.
    I take it your on a timber floor not a slab as moving a toilet on a slab can get costly.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

marko1969..no bath shower as back problems

• Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    You and me both Vy! It's been doing my head in.
    I really like that plan. Thanks so much for investing the time.
    Think we might have to go custom as I'm after more traditional finishes as it's an old place (floorboards, high ceilings, picture rails) so am envisaging patterned floor tiles and subways. Could always go a pedestal too I suppose.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

you're welcome jmacalice..happy to help..

I love figuring out plans.. bed time for me as got volunteering early in the city tomorrow..

• Noel Goddard
    7 years ago

I think I've drawn the bath a bit wider than scale but you get the drift... Not sure if this will leave you enough floor space though? If you put in a claw foot bath that will give the illusion of more floor space and also if you had a pedestal vanity - not sure how you'd go for storage then though?

Also another thought was if you could get a custom shower screen so it actually rolls back in half which will open up the room and give better access to kiddies in the bath - I've attached a picture of what I mean, if you can understand. Good luck with it - this one's a tricky one!

• Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for that Noel. Yes, a shower screen that has the flexibility to fold or slide would probably make sense in this space. And yes claw foot could be good for illusion of space but bit worried it could be difficult to clean around.
    Yes, it's quite tricky.
    I think I'm going look more into the design from Vy and Alisonwallace - I hadn't considered a shallow depth vanity with recessed vanity and I think that'll be the key, regardless of the layout.
    Thanks again everyone. It's really exciting to see all of the great ideas everyone has!
  • spmm
    7 years ago
    Have a look at the building code - dull I know, walk in showers can take up more space, and require 150cm splash zone IIRC

corner showers framed or frameless keep the rest of the space dry, are warmer and easier to see. Climbing into a bath to have a shower really is horrible I agree.

Modern Japanese baths are lovely, smaller and deeper and can come with a lid, available in Australia.
  • Jess
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for that spmm - hadn't thought to check that. Good point particularly re enclosed showers being warmer.
    I have looked at a couple of Japanese baths as I like the idea but was a bit worried that they'd be impractical for bathing little ones though that might be worth the compromise.