Houzz Logo Print
3d_cgi

Before & After : The Monster Fireplace

3DCGI
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We took up the challenge to provide some ideas for this amazing sculpture piece from this Design Dilemma:

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/monster-of-a-fireplaceive-never-seen-anything-like-it-dsvw-vd~323878

Comments (42)

• PRO
    3DCGI
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The Before Shot
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    11 years ago
    Great work! Love the bathroom pics and now this too! Cheers!
  • njcook53
    11 years ago
    I like it!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love it! Just goes to show that something, that at first glance is problematic, can work in the right environment. I hope the homeowner chimes in with their thoughts.

The mirrored wall really helps to lighten up the mass of the fireplace, makes it seem so much less heavy.
  • Ann
    11 years ago
    Nice!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    3DCGI - Great job! Looks beautiful!! So glad you decided to keep the fireplace!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • tramsformer
    11 years ago
    Im really impressed, I was worried for you! That was a monster!!! Great Job! ((smile))
  • 14thstreet
    11 years ago
    Changing out the hearth makes a world of a difference. Nice.
  • PRO
    BOWA
    11 years ago
    3DCGI - you took that fireplace form eyesore to art! Great job!
  • PRO
    Kavanya Designs LLC
    11 years ago
    Amazing job. Putting those mirrors was genius. Makes the fireplace stand out like a piece of art!
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    11 years ago
    Inspired!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    11 years ago
    Great room: the fireplace looks so much better !
  • Danielle B
    11 years ago
    Love the new design of the room, hate the mirror! It makes the fireplace appear like it is floating... Like a vintage sci-fi special effect... I would mirror the sides only past the tile surround and paint the sides in the same taupe shade as other walls in the room, to visually anchor the fireplace.
  • PRO
    3DCGI
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback guys, we're currently working on a few "before and afters" so have a look at for them !
  • Susan H
    11 years ago
    This is just a computer graphic, right? Nice service but you need to make that clear in the original post that this isn't the final photo of a real project. (Nice to have the problem that people think it's real though.)
  • lilion
    11 years ago
    Well the homeownders really should do this! It's terrific!
  • grout4cake
    11 years ago
    I think the sanity of the room only accentuates the weirdness of the fireplace. It is just too big for the room
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I like it!
  • PRO
    3DCGI
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Susan H - Very good point, thank you for the feedback and we'll make sure that we're clearer in future! The original fireplace post was filled with 500+ suggestions from lots of people offering lots different ideas to the poster jcorrigan77.
    It was getting very confusing with lots of wordy-descriptions so we thought we would just show our ideas in a 3D image form...
  • Susan H
    11 years ago
    Thanks, 3D. And may I say you did a very good job! :-)
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    i think you've made wonderful choices here. the only thing bothering me is the ceiling. it may just be the angle. it just seems to be coming down, crushing the FP. as long as you're playing with this, could you drop a false ceiling, a sheet rock box around the top of the chimney. maybe 6 to 10" deep just to give the illusion of the chimney rising out of site and into an unknown world.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    11 years ago
    Flipping brilliant !!!!
  • Penny Harwood
    11 years ago
    I really like the changes but I would go one step further and paint the fireplace to tone down the pattern which is still overpowering. You could either paint the same as the surrounding walls or a slightly light shade.
  • johnnyboy3
    11 years ago
    Good ideas for the changes and a great image for everyone to discuss. Would it be practical to take this approach for most of the posts on this site - cost, time etc? How would we find out? I've seen your other image posts too - great work!
  • januarisun
    11 years ago
    Wow! You did a great job with that. I never would have thought of mirrors, but for such an unusual fireplace, you need to think outside of what-is-common, because there is nothing common about it! I especially love that you changed the hearth. Although part of the fireplace, I don't think it's needed to hold the integrity of the artists vision; I would say you enhanced and improved it.
  • lionnessone
    11 years ago
    Wow, what a brilliant idea; I never thought of mirrors. Now I love it, what a great conversation piece. You definitely improved the artiste’s vision, no; you enhanced it. Great Job!
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    The room looks awesome! The only thing I don't personally care for is the tile color on the bottom, it looks to have to much blue tone to it for the rest of the room.
  • nchampagne
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    3DCGI
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks guys for constructive feedback!
    What we're looking to do with the 3D image is show one solution (of many possibilities) to the home owners. We think that the 3D process is a great way of being able to see your ideas come to life prior to committing to the expense of the building works...
  • Maryl Hershelman
    11 years ago
    okay so maybe I'm tired...and I am....but I really fell for the expanding room trick. Nice idea though...not sure about the base shade on the chimney. I'd like to see a few more of these 3D images ideas.
  • laurae1967
    11 years ago
    I love the design idea for the new room. Removing the wall is brilliant. That said, the crazy brick design on the fireplace may be art, but it is not something appropriate for a family room. It looks precarious and unsettling - not the vibe most people want when they are trying to relax in front of the fireplace. I would stucco or paint it if your clients will allow.
  • jennosity
    10 years ago
    This looks fantastic. Good job. What shade of gray did you choose for the walls?
  • mcgorgey
    8 years ago
    Red brick fireplace just wondering whether to paint it in a whitewash and let brick.color peek thru or stack stone not sure any ideas welcomed walls have been painted white and wood trim is a cedar color.
  • maykezza
    8 years ago
    Amazing !
  • PRO
    Tanksalot Ltd
    8 years ago

Someone has true creativity in bringing in that eyesore to a Picasso....

• PRO
    S Design Landscaping and Mowing
    8 years ago

Sorry - Dat never gonna work!!

• yvonnesl
    8 years ago
    Brilliant solution! It really looks great.
    What sort of costs are involved in using such large pieces of mirror cut to order? Does the weight pose a problem? Only asking as it looks so good, I am wondering how to use the idea also!
  • kyliemt11
    8 years ago
    Fantastic work.
  • Judy Bumbles
    8 years ago
    What a fantastic job you have done! I love everything about it!
    Well done.
  • nandi54
    8 years ago

very clever, it took me in.

• maccart11
    7 years ago

Tis art! well done.