Houzz Logo Print
melissa_jelinic

Should I paint the trims/doors so they match?

Melissa Jelinic
7 years ago

We have just purchased a house that's approx 68 years old. The previous owners painted some of the trims and doors white while leaving others the original wood. The wood base boards continue from the lounge out the wooden door and throughout the hallway where there are other wooden doors. I'm unsure of what I should paint and what I should leave as I like the look of wood and slate together in a room.

(this is where the master bedroom and hallway meet. I plan to have the hallway the same colour as the lounge and the bedroom a light grey green)
I plan to remove the wallpaper and paint the room in a warm grey or a greige, and keep the picture rails and paint them in a shade of white, but unfortunately the green carpet will have to stay for a while due to funds.
Is there also a way to make the white door blend in more? That door leads to the kitchen/dining and is open during the day, but closed at night. There is also another white door on the left wall and white shelving next to the fire place.
Is there a way to make the white and wood work together?

Comments (34)

• flickacat
    7 years ago
    I would paint the doors the wall colour in a semi gloss.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    It looks quite busy at the moment, have you considered painting all the doors same colour as the walls and the trim same colour as your picture rail. That way you have only 2 colours in the room that already has enough going on in there.(use semi gloss on the doors).
  • Related Discussions

Paint for ceiling, trim, doors with natural white walls

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi rachemacdonald Natural white is one of my favourite interior whites. It's not too creamy but still warm and not cold and sterile. Use low sheen on walls. Use half strength on the ceilings in a flat finish. (The ceiling acts as a reflector to bounce light around the room.) The trims - arch, skirts, windows and doors can be half strength in a satin finish. This will modernise the space and make it feel more spacious. Best wishes.
    ...See More

What colour should I paint my house?

Q

Comments (34)
    Dear Creatively Challenged , I can recommend Dulux Colour Consultants, I gave up after about 5 sample pots . At the time it cost me $150 and if I used dulux paints I could claim a full refund . That was 12 years ago . I didn’t realise at the time just how good they were , the colours are still in fashion but it’s ready for another paint job for sure. It was such a relief to have someone in who is trained and fully understands colours and fashion and what goes with what . I finally stopped stressing about it and got the job done ✅
    ...See More

Should I paint or stain my front door?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Wren, what a lovely setting! I would be inclined to match the door colour in with the exterior wall colour. Include the casing, threshold and trims as well and this way you will end up with the timber, black and your main paint colour to give a better sense of balance. Good luck! Regards, Kathryn.
    ...See More

Help! Should I render or paint my 1970s facade?

Q

Comments (48)
    If you want to make the house hotter, then painting the roof charcoal will certainly achieve that. Repointing the brickwork is the most sensible from a maintenance perspective. Once you render and paint, then you have to keep painting (and it's likely to be out of fashion sooner or later). Try to keep passive cooling in mind (i.e. light colours & permeable landscaping) with any of your renovations, and I think it always pays to try and embrace and compliment the original architecture and be unique, rather than trying to look like the latest project home. In my opinion the arch window is actually quite cool, and the excellent mock-ups provided by Geo Toria are along the right track.
    ...See More
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    I would paint them as well. Looks like a good house..enjoy making it over and keep us posted on your progress
  • PRO
    Orchard Joinery
    7 years ago

I am assuming that the dark colour of the wood is natural and not stained (hard to tell from the photos). If that is the case then if you decide to keep the natural wood look, then I agree with the previous comment that it looks too busy. One option might be to paint over the wall paper (depending on its condition of course). That would get rid of the busy wallpaper pattern and help to offset the darker colours of the wood and slate, whilst keeping the room light. Here is a link if that idea interests you "2 Easy ways to paint over Wallpaper"

• Melissa Jelinic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone. The paint I'm looking at using doesn't come in a semi-gloss but does have a satin, is that similar/the same?
    With the picture rail, I assume you're suggesting painting all the trimmings the same colour and picture rail trim, above that, the part between the picture rail trim and the ceiling trim, should I paint it the same collour as the trim or the ceiling? And with the ceiling, would going "ceiling white" look too drastic if everything else is off white? Should I get it tinted?
    Thank you for your help so far!

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Semi gloss/ satin same as each other as far as I know. I think ceiling white and white trim with your off white wall colour will give you a fabulous fresh start then you can add colour with your furnishings and decor. Great starting block and down the track you can always add colour if you have the puff.
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    I would recommend that you paint walls in a matte/ flat finish as it helps hide flaws in older uneven walls and trim in your satin or gloss finish, I am no expert but have painted a lot of walls and trim. A washable flat colour..best advice is go to an independent paint shop and discuss with them what you are painting, take some photos and take their advice. They are worth the little extra you may pay in paint but invaluable and expert info.
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    I would try and remove wallpaper but a really nasty job. I have never painted over it so should not be even discussing it.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Yeah Wuff said it all , get rid of wall paper.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    I just want to add do not use ceiling paint ,if you want white get a wall paint in white looks much better and it's easier to work with.
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Keep wood door as beautiful if can paint over wallpaper do. If can't paint wallpaper paint white door same colour as wallpaper to obscure it. Fresh white ceiling paint would be good all thru house to brighten up
  • PRO
    Clipsal by Schneider Electric
    7 years ago

Hi Melissa,

We suggest painting all the doors and frames the same colour - preferably a glossy white. Although wooden colour is beautiful, if the doors are quite dated it would be perfect to freshen up the atmosphere with white paint.

Best of luck with your project!

The Schneider Electric Team

• Double D
    7 years ago

I agree, paint all trims white.

• Melissa Jelinic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. I've already had it in mind of getting rid of the wallpaper. It's peeling in places anyway so wouldn't be a good base to paint over and would just cause more issues in the future if it peeled more. And I'm getting paint from the local Paint Place because they had the best quality paint around me and great pricing and very helpful. Would recommend the independent paint places. Been to 3 and they've all been lovely and helpful!

• ctwalker1967
    7 years ago

glosses are different between enamel & acrylic ie semi gloss enamel (need turps) is more like gloss acrylic (water based) - so check the look you want and ask the paint people which name it is for the look you want.

Try and remove the wallpaper - go to your local bunnings or your paint shop and hire a steamer - will make it quicker for you.... check out first how they pasted the wallpaper in a hidden spot cause if they used ghastly glue it can be a swine to remove but it may simply peel off (fingers crossed for that type).

• Mel N
    7 years ago

Get rid of the wallpaper definitely!. It looks like it might be vinyl, in which case a steamer is useless. I've found nothing better than lots of hot water (+sugar soap) and a massive scraper. The good thing about vinyl is once you get a good go of it, it comes away in 1 sheet.

I cringe at the thought of painting those architraves. It can be a bit of a no win situation....it's old (oil) stained timber (which will really resist new paint), will need sanding and then a truckload of Zinser to seal it, then probably oil-based enamel to prevent chipping which I've found the water-based enamels so prone to doing (especially on difficult surfaces like this). Then the oil based enamel will yellow in a couple of years.

Without having any idea your budget or how handy you are- is it worth looking at removing all the architraving and replacing it? It isn't a big job, and would allow you to put some bigger skirting on. This way you can paint the whole lot white, no fuss or worry about bleed through or yellowing- getting a consistent result in a water-based enamel. You'd just need to be careful of not disturbing the plaster- it might be asbestos.

• Melissa Jelinic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks. I'm looking at using acrylic, cause it's not easy to dispose of the turps where I am, and I'm a bit sensitive to the strong odors. Using a low voc wattyl paint.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll give it a shot with the primer/undercoat and then it is peels it goes funny in the future we'll have the fund to replace them. Luckily those walls aren't asbestos, they're horse hair plaster, but the kitchen, laundry and bathroom are full of it and it's getting removed, thus the low funds atm, haha
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Melissa , make Sure you give it light sanding before you apply primer and get a primer with stain blocker just in case timber stain bleeds through. Acrylic paint is very good and easy to use and doesn't go yellow. Take some photos when you finish and show us the final results.
  • ctwalker1967
    7 years ago

Agree with auks. Seeing its an old house you probably have a lot of enamel paint which will require a primer before you put the acrylic. Don't be overwhelmed by all the feedback - it is to arm you so that you can prepare properly and ask all your questions so that you do it right and not find out after you have done it that you should have done it another way and you have spent all this time.

Dulux now make a good primer (and isn't as smelly as the older type primers and it is an "acrylic" which you CAN place over enamel paint!!!) to put over highgloss enamel/varnish but you do need to wait a few days (I think min of 1 day for setting/gripping) before applying your acrylic colour. Primer can also be tinted to the colour you wish to finally use with your paint colour. Cause you are dealing with varnish I would still give a light sand, even though you might be told you may not need to with the newer type of primers, which will give the primer more gripping power.

• philippawright
    7 years ago

I would sand up a spot of the painted areas and see what is underneath - in reality you will find if you just strip the painted doors they will then look different to the wooden ones so they will both need to be treated the same. I agree with you about the wood and stone together it creates a good mid century vibe which is timeless.

Re ceiling white - it is pretty hard with natural materials - I would look at a low percentage tint of a Resene white which picks up the tones in the fireplace- 1/ 8th Thorndon Cream possibly.

The walls will look better painted - don't go too dark - look at a double or triple of the ceiling colour. The warmth of the wood doors would be helpful with these colours, good accent colours would be warm orange, rust tones creams and a little black here and there.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are good - possibly polished floors under the carpet - it may be possible to have a peek in an unused corner . This may influence your decisions with the doors.

Depening on whether you want to just spruce it up or renovate it for the future i would look at removing the picture rails and plastering for a paint finish.

As it seems quite bitsy and busy with the current finishes it is important to use the same paint tone to blend - decide on one or two features and conceal the rest. All the best with your plans.

• Scott Johnstone
    7 years ago

Given its your money...

I look at the room and would pull the carpet and wall paper, paint the walls a natural tone, doors and trims gloss white and invest in some nice door hardware and drapes. Maybe extend the slate all the way to the ceiling or put some thing above it. Should be a nice space when you're done.

• Jacq Collins
    7 years ago

Hi

agree with Scott, pull the carpet & refurbish the wooden floors, use rugs for contrast/ colour/warmth, stone above fireplace to the ceiling, remove doors for open feeling, skirts/arches left paint in one eighth the strength of the walls, so base is the same giving you a more subtle a likeness, update fireplace with gas log fire, put in wooden stained chunky mantle above fireplace and mirror to reflect light around the room, also give sense of space. Colours should be continued thought out with only soft furnishings as your colour splashes, easier to keep up with colour trends then, main wall colours to be sift neutral maybe on trend soft grey or greige (beige with grey tones)

surprisingly cheap to recover your couches in lighter neutral tones to make areas appear bigger or if budget allows, look for furniture that fits your rooms

goid luck, I am looking forward to the reposted finished project

• nancymiller48
    7 years ago

My house is a similar age to yours. I stripped off the wallpaper and needed to have the walls skimmed (thin finishing plaster coat applied by professional) before painting as the old plaster surface was not finished to a paint quality finish. I then painted my lounge with a darkish grey-blue and ALL the joinery white - timber doors, wooden window frames, skirtings and architraves, ceiling etc. Curtains are white with a smoky leaf pattern. Looks fantastic.

I used a chartreuse green in the kitchen/dining, same white on all the timber. Lovely sunny spring colour.

And in bedroom used Resene Tasman which is a pale watery gray-green, with a delicate patterned wallpaper on one wall. Trims all white - lovely restful room.

So I would definately recommend painting all the trims doors etc white, then go with your gut on the walls. And dont be afraid of colour! And heres a suggestion; if you cant afford at this time to get the walls skimmed, just paint on top of the wallpaper (do a bit of patching first if you have to) - hang lots of art and use pretty cushions to decorate your room. It'll look grand!

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    @nancymiller48 can you post some photos of your place sounds interesting.
  • nancymiller48
    7 years ago

Ooo! Have to see what I can do!

• nancymiller48
    7 years ago

In my last house, after adding a living room (the area you see this side of the arch) and also updating bathroom
    etc I couldn't afford to reline the ancient walls in my little lounge (when I removed the purple wallpaper I found a mixmax of boards, gib, pinex, plywood and holes!) so I
    plastered walls all over with layers and layers of newspaper and
    wallpaper paste (papier mache), then after applying primer/undercoat I painted with 2 similar colours (rich reds in this
    case), and stippled the surface with a plastic bag. This made it look
    just very slightly textured like leather and successfully disguised the
    uneven surfaces. Gallons of gap filler filled the gaps between the old
    T&G ceiling boards and evened out the mismatched skirting and scotia. Again white paint on all the trims. Amazing what can be done when you have to make do! This was a great cosy little room! (Before photo is the 3rd one)

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    @nancymiller48 , thank you, love that you are not afraid to use colour and yet restrain yourself when needed. Beautiful transformation, the only thing that you could change in the future is to start curtains higher, under the cornice for a more opulent look. Tx for being a good sport and showing us your place.
  • wuff
    7 years ago

@nancymiller48, just lovely

• Melissa Jelinic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We've decided to remove the wooden door because the wall behind it is more beneficial to us than the door being there. So with that, we'll be removing the pelmet from above the windows and painting them.
    We're looking at replacing the skirtings with this style:

Not sure if we'll change the architraves. We're thinking of replacing the picture rails just to make it easier with painting, and we will change the cornices as well

With this in mind, should I paint the two remaining doors in the same shade of white as the trimming will be? should the ceiling be different?
    The carpet won't be gone anytime soon, but will in the future. The heater will be remaining til we either have the money to put in a gas log or til it dies. And the wallpaper will be removed. Still deciding on a wall colour.

• wuff
    7 years ago

Your plan will really lighten and brighten your home, good to take your time..you will get there in the end.

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    Hi @melissa jelinic i'd paint doors in same colour as trim and walls perhaps same or greater strength as trim and ceiling in say half strength of walls or same as trim but ceilings should definitely be a white. Have fun
  • Mel N
    7 years ago

Hi Melissa, I think this is a great decision. You will have a fabulous result that you will not regret. If you are doing the skirting and picture rails- it isn't a big leap to then do architraves. You are guaranteed a consistent colour result that way all around.

I do remember 'accidently' stripping wall paper from horsehair plaster around 10yr at a reno we did in Goulburn. What a nightmare!!. Little did we know it was there. And little did we know the damn ugly wallpaper was holding the very fragile, flimsy horsehair plaster together! In hindsight- we would of left the wallpaper and wallpapered more neutral over the top. We were renovating to sell, and it was too late. Worst paint job ever!

I know I'm not helping your budget ;-)

• Melissa Jelinic
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Haha, thanks Mel N.
    I'll definitely keep the idea of replacing the architraves as well. Even if we have to keep them plain to save money, I think that will still work.

Thanks for the warning!
    We'll have to remove it unfortunately because it's falling off in patches and anything we do over the top will end up damaged anyway. It looks like there's paint underneath it which is hopefully holding it together and not hiding more wallpaper! But worse case scenario with have a family member who's a builder who should be able to help us patch it up! Thanks though.

And thanks for the advice so far guys, I appreciate it all!