Houzz Logo Print
tkastrati

What is missing?

tkastrati
7 years ago
Open concept formal living room. What does this room need to be complete? Constructive criticism encouraged ;)

Comments (53)

• cskarkau
    7 years ago
    Accent Color. You need plants...real or fake, but something to warm up the room. Also, a colorful lamp shade...perhaps burgundy, and something on the coffee tables..maybe flowers or candles. Way too much cream. Exchange the floor rug in the corner for a colorful patterned rug that ties the furniture colors all together. Family photos on the wall....not so stark...perhaps vary the height of the wall pictures to add more interest for the eye. The picture on the right has a cool color of brown or burgundy in it. Place that in the center and add that color to the room....maybe a throw blanket on the couch. The fireplace is beautiful, but looks cold and unviting. Color on the mantle to draw your eye to the details in the fireplace. Last thing (and I know I am being picky...but I like a warm, inviting, cozy homey feeling in a living room....even if it is formal. I don't like the furniture placement. It is too squared and doesn't connect the room together. Play around with furniture so it is not squared against a wall...perhaps switch the corner couch and the 2 chairs around and angle it a bit. If it was my house, I would paint the wall,....perhaps a warm medium tone to bring out the the furniture colors.
  • cskarkau
    7 years ago
    Ok. I just looked at this again. Paint an accent wall in the far corner. Look at your colors in the gorgeous slate floor, and pull out that blue or roses color with a complementary wall color. The warm brown of the couch and the cool tones of the green couch and blue chairs don't work well together. Either add something to tie it all together or use a throw cover on the green couch.
  • Related Discussions

What's missing?

Q

Comments (10)
    The rug does nothing for the room Feature wall behind Tv Move lounge away from window Move white chairs look clinical Need coffee table Actually I hate lounges in front of windows Rearrange whole room to loss alleyway effect TV on other wall Lounge freestanding. Chairs in front of window Large wall will need some art work Still need new rug Some cushions and a throw will warm up lounge
    ...See More

RETRO POLL: What do you miss most?

Q

Comments (16)
    I have just read an article that says that open plan living has had it's day and people are wanting to return to more separate 'zones' and one of the suggested ways to achieve this was a sunken living room, it continued by showing photos of recent houses constructed with them, and as I quite like the idea! But I do wonder about all the extra unnecessary trips and falls that will happen! And it's not practical if there are elderly friends or relatives who visit regularly.
    ...See More

hallway decorations

Q

Comments (25)
    They are beautiful flowers fabulouspink but I see three tall items competing with the mirror & my eye can't rest on any one thing as the yellow distracts my eye. For me it needs a low item or bowl, it could be mirror tone or silver to create a connection to the mirror. I would keep to the silvers & blues so the the whole look reads as one complementary picture. Light & shade without filling the whole space & less is more...try the blue tall vase in the middle with the 3 smaller bottles to the left or right. A low square mirrored decorative box echoing the mirror style would also finish it off nicely :)
    ...See More

I am not square, nor am I made of metal or glass ...

Q

Comments (8)
    Fill it with pieces you love and learn to zone out what you can't change. Funnily enough we are having the opposite problem - about to move into a home we have created but still with the 'rental' stuff...it will be an adjustment. Have you seen [this[(https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/meet-my-houzz-the-coys-stsetivw-vs~60048479) Houzz story about living in a (albeit friendly landlord) rental? Perhaps that is the key - find a great landlord...?? Good luck. I love the concept of hygge - it exactly describes the kind of space I want to create at home and I can't wait to share it with my friends and family. Thanks so much for that link :)
    ...See More
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

Color....

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

I agree layers of colors, in that nook, on your coffee table, all around the room

• Christy Reves
    7 years ago

What a lovely home. Beautiful furniture pieces also. What I see right away is that everything seems to be the same height. You need some taller pieces. I think I would move the blue chairs to the fireplace placing them side by side together at the end of the coffee table with the small stainless table between. I would move the mirror behind the couch to the narrow angled wall hanging it vertically. It would also look good propped up horizontally on your fireplace mantle. If you could swing it, a statement lamp like a floor lamp that is tall then dangles over the button tucked couch would look sharp. The small table with lampshade is too short. I just think there needs some creation of height. Another way of achieving height would be to place a decorative knob central to each picture a couple feet high and run a chain or wire to a point to look like the picture is hanging from a tall wire. (It could be mounted in a triangle to the wall without actually attaching to the frame, the tails are hidden behind the frame). I would move the straight backed leather chair to the other sitting area left of the grey couch to face the wall hangings and move the vase to where the leather chair is currently. Another option, hang prints vertically stacked to right of fireplace where the leather chair is. Then move the mirror to short angled wall and purchase floor lamp and metal wall art. Hope this sounds constructive. It really is a great space.

• PRO
    SAGE Interior Design & Decor
    7 years ago

Definitely colour accents , greenery as in perhaps a air purifying plant, floor rug under coffee table light than the floor with some texture.

• mzapper
    7 years ago

love your kitchen floors!

Just some suggestions.

-lower profile coffee table or ottoman in front of leather sofa - in a colour that doesn't match floors or couch (right now it just all blends together and coffee table looks high)

- something else with more goldish tones (could be the coffee table perhaps?) as I see a mirror on fireplace in gold tones but everywhere else see a lot of silver type tones

- dark chair by fireplace -looks out of place (and again dark piece on dark floor) if you were sitting in that chair it is far away from the leather couch...so would probably just remove it.

in the other seating area:

-gorgeous couch! white table and lamp really just blend into wall and table does not look easy to use with the high arms on couch, so would remove both and maybe replace with a floor lamp.

-some type of table for this area - maybe two small tables (not too tall as couch looks lower profile) but would stay away from silver or something light that would blend in with rug.

- art in this area - the mirror and art on other wall (all three pieces together) are all close to the same overall size - think it would be visually more interesting to have a larger piece behind the couch and possibly with a dark frame. (something with more height than what is on the other wall) or some cool, dramatic wall paper?

- two chairs look a little out of place think just one chair larger/bulkier chair would amazing

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I would like more pictures from further away so we could see the whole space better. I don't quite understand the formal sofa and chairs where they are. Then 6 feet away another sofa arrangement so I just think there might be a better use of these spaces. As a minimum, a rug is needed in the space in front of the fireplace. Agree with previous comment the rug in the other area looks like hides, and it would fit better with the leather sofa area. I can help more with a better perspective of the space.
  • J D
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Replace the mirror w something like this to bring out the blue of the chairs. I think you should break up all the dark furniture and wood w an upholstered coffee table. You could upholster the one you have already to save money. Maybe a light neutral color fabric

coffee table/ottoman^

The coffee table could even be painted and perhaps lately distressed?

• J D
    7 years ago
    I would get an area rug for the couch area w blues on it. And move the lone chair in until it sits on the rug.
  • Danielle Black
    7 years ago
    I love it maybe rug in front of leather sofa
    Different softer chair by fireplace
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Have you thought about a game table with your chairs for that corner? Formal furniture there just looks a bit out of place to me. Maybe you had that furniture and are trying to utilize it. So, I guess in answer to your original question, there are a couple of main things "missing" 1) a sense of the space and what style you want, formal or casual? 2) everything is at one level, so you can vary that a bit; 3) rugs. Change the one in seating are A)formal to B) informal area. You probably need to get a smaller coffee table too, because there is very little room (it appears) between the fireplace and the snack bar area so the furniture is right on top of each other. Nice pieces, just might need some tweaking to get it looking better for you.

• Mimi Jensen
    7 years ago
    That formal space with the tufted gray couch and 2 chairs is out of place..can we see a pic of what's behind
    The brown sofa? I would definitely change that gray space, depending on what you use that area for..
  • feleciarafield
    7 years ago
    The pieces and arrangement are lovely. What's missing is you. Your interests, your family, personal accents from your travels. Let it be a reflection of what you love.
  • tkastrati
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for all of the input! Particularly for the rug and table (I love the fabric square tufted one recommended-I may purchase that ;) thank you ) in my family room. I attached a few more photos of the space as requested. While we are at it...if anyone has a recommendation on a lighting fixture to replace the fan in the family room I want to get that changed out soon too!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Those pictures help a lot! Thanks. I think a large square microfiber ottoman would work well and be kid friendly. Maybe even one with a lid so you could stow toys, etc. cute little one there too! I will get some light fixture ideas for you.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Are you open to moving mirror from over fireplace. Right now it isn't reflecting anything good but if we put nice fixture where fan is and moved mirror over TV, it would reflect the light fixture. I think we could restyle setting over fireplace and pseudo mantel over on the far left. I will be back. Really pretty space and you have obviously given a lot of thought to it. So, my comments are just to enhance.
  • tkastrati
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes completely open to moving the mirror and think that's a great idea! I put a wreath above the tv for Christmas and always feel something is missing there when I take it down. I would definitely need help with what to replace the mirror with above the mantle though. When you are standing head on the mirror actually reflects a pot rack with my copper pans in the kitchen...but again probably not the prettiest thing to see!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Worlds Away Leona Silver Leaf Pendant · More Info
    This is a great fixture that is a good size for your space I believe. You can't have too much and a more "open" design would be good too. This comes in gold and silver. I picked the silver to go with other elements but you could go either way. We can mix metals if careful. This is 25.5" x 25.5 x 20.5" high and on a chain which means you could hang at a place that would reflect into the mirror if we move the mirror. So, this is one choice. I have a couple more.
    Worlds Away Nova Greek Key Silver Leaf Pendant Lamp · More Info
    This is similar but with a Greek key design. You could repeat that design in perhaps a pillow or two on the sofa. This one is 24"w x 24" and 15" h so it is a bit smaller than the first one.
    Smyth 6-Light Chandelier, White Gold, Clear Glass · More Info
    This is a beveled edge cage design and it is a bit bigger. I don't know your ceiling height so you would have to measure, but this is nice look as well, and we can find other "cage" designs if you like that look. Very popular today. This one is 26.63" w x 26.63" d (so square) and 30.75 h. The height is what we need to figure out if your ceiling is high enough for that? With a large ottoman under it, that would help, but you don't want too big because it will look odd! See if any of these appeal, and we can go from there. If you are going to keep the "seating arrangement" with the two chairs, the lovely tall vase might work better over on the niche to the left of the TV. Then, put an arc lamp in the front seating area which would warm up that space and give more "height" variation there as well. The vase with flowers is same height as mirror (almost) and art work. So that needs some tweaking. But, let's start over the in family room space.

• PRO
    A. Klein Interior Design LLC
    7 years ago

Really pretty room! Two small thoughts in addition to some of the great advice you have already received...If you can find some toss pillows or throws that have a pattern or stripe in some of the colors that are already in the room it will tie the space together. Also, the chair by the fireplace could use some attention. A small table, a floor lamp, a toss pillow....will take it from being a lone chair to making it a whole vignette.

• tkastrati
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Flo! The third option...cage style would be more my pick. I'm pretty sure my ceilings are 12 foot. That empty niche has been a headache, it used to house toys and kid stuff and now I've been desperate to find a book shelf to fit there. I do however like the idea of moving the tall vase to the niche and adding a tall chandelier type fixture in its place.

As a side note, the leather chair by the fireplace doesn't live there. It belongs in my office but I was using it to stand on to hang some pics in my hallway and it never made it back :) I meant to say that earlier.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Sure, if we move the mirror (BTW, you could still hang wreath over mirror at Christmas!) we then have basically two other areas to bring as "bookends" to the that space. Might do a pair of art that "work together" or other elements and combine the looks so it all works together. Don't need a lot of "stuff" on every surface either. Not that you do, but just some discrete rearranging will work wonders. Since I always think about storage, I would try to have a new ottoman do double duty so you have storage. Now on the other side of that, the one that was posted is nice, but it has a fabric top that might not be as "child friendly" as you might want. But the open shelf bottom is nice rather than a "solid" ottoman. You could do a round one too, but that would be harder to use for people sitting on the sectional. That is why I would do a large square. People have to be within 18" to set a drink down, thinks like that.

• PRO
    HedgeApple
    7 years ago

Love the room!!

Rugs are an awesome way to tie everything together. If you have trouble picking one out head over to our rug company PlushRugs

Happy Decorating

--HeadgeApple

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OK, I like that one and I just did the math. If your ceilings are 12' that is 144" so with a 24" drop from ceiling, minus the 30" height of the chandelier, that would leave 6'-6" head room under which is fine. Then just a matter of lining up with mirror properly. I think I would advise you to find an ottoman first, because the placement of that might affect how low you place the chandelier. The only thing about that particular one is it has glass sort of hurricanes and those can be difficult to keep clean. But there are others out there along these lines, if you would rather not have that hassle. But what I do like about this one is its size, and the finish which walks between gold and silver so would bridge between your more formal setting and the informal. I will look some more.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

There is a smaller version of the cage one that might suit your space a bit better.

4-Light Chandelier, White Gold and Opal Glass · More Info
    this you will notice has frosted glass lampshades. This size also comes in the clear glass ones. But it is 4 light instead of 6 light.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Square Storage Ottoman · More Info
    Here is a ottoman that kind of ties the color from the formal area into your family room area. It has storage too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Beverly Blvd Square Storage Ottoman · More Info
    This is a little wild, but interesting and has storage. Just looking for something a bit different than standard fare.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Feiss Colorado Springs 6-Light Chandelier, Chestnut Bronze · More Info
    this is different look. It isn't cage, but open weave with the dark metal look. With some sparkles. Edison bulbs. Might be a little too trendy?

• ll249
    7 years ago

Color. Plants? The look is too sterile, like a showroom setup, devoid of personality. Pictures, an area rug. Needs COLORS!

• Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I like the idea of getting a round table and comfortable chairs to create a game area, or homework place instead of that formal setting that looks out of place
  • User
    7 years ago

Hello! You definitely need more height to your layout. You have high ceilings- accentuate them! Instead on the frameless mirror above the lounge, you need a big framed artwork that leads the eye upward and makes the room look more open. Some ideas below, more available on www.chamberlaindesigns.com.au

All my paintings are available in oil painting, print and tapestry form. Custom frames available. For the frame I would recommend something with a bit of punch, like below

• chantels2u
    7 years ago
    I like all the ideas: new light, plants, splash of colors, change the space, etc...
    I am attaching a picture of a product I found on Houzz. It's a great piece that you can use as a "work space" when needed, and close it for entertaining.
    Best of Luck!
  • tkastrati
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Flo-thanks for the ottoman pieces. If I did do a color to try to tie in I would do a shade of purple, not quite as dark as eggplant but similar in color (see picture of small bases in living) or a blue similar to the one in this painting which sits opposite the mirror behind the couch.
    I really do like the one suggested on the board earlier. My only concern is how it would physically fit in the space.
    What do you think about one of these lighting options for the family room?
    Also I don't know if this is so 70's but I really want a creamish shag rug in front of the sectional. They sell a Thomasville shag rug that I walk buy in Costco monthly and I'm always tempted to buy!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    That's so funny, because I saw a deep purple one I loved, and decided I was being to fashion forward so to speak. I think design wise any one of those would work. But I couldn't see dimensions. If they are in the dimensions we talked about earlier then anyone would work. I kind of lean to the more goldish one. It will work with mirror.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Ottomans! I think with your concern for space you might want to consider a couple of smaller ones that could also be used for extra seats if needed.

Lacey Tufted Storage Ottomans Set, 2-Piece Set, Klien Fig Fabric · More Info
    I like the tufted look and the nail heads. I am not usually a fan of nail heads, but I think it helps bring brightness to your space what with the dark brown leather.
    Round Upholstered Cocktail Ottoman · More Info
    You could do a couple of these. This is a deeper purple/eggplant kind of color.
    Velvet Pleated Ottoman Stool, Aubergine Purple · More Info
    Soft and cute. You can go to my "idea book - ottomans" and see a bunch I saved. All price ranges and sizes. See if I am on the right track here.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

BTW, I love that piano picture. That would be fantastic over the fireplace! Then we would just need some kind of companion over the other niche.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I just looked up the sizes on the chandy's you selected. they all are good size wise. If we put the mirror over the TV then I tend to go for the gold Coraline French Country Antique Gold one, although I would want to measure in your space to make sure it is big enough. It is the smallest. The first one, Stardust is good size, might be a bit too rustic? And reflecting in gold mirror might clash a bit?

Lighted Marquise · More Info
    How about this one. It is really pretty. Open, and has amber crystals all along the edges of the metal framing. Or this one.
    Wendt Industrial Rustic Gold Geometric Pendant · More Info
    This is cool shape and it is antique gold, looks similar to your frame on the mirror?

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

I love your room but overall I see two non colors; light and dark that blend very well together. I think the room is missing contrast so when ever you see light put a dark color next to it and whenever you see dark try a light color next to it. You can use one color in all its variations of light thru dark, just place it next to its opposite.

Or find one piece of art work and put the weight of the colors of the art work into the room....if the art has a lot of turquoise and not much yellow and orange then use lots of turquoise in room a bit less yellow and a tiny bit of orange.

Placing more color in the room will balance out all the black white and grey that is stopping any contrast at all. At first one bit of color will seem very jarring but as you add more of the same color in different tones and values, so they do not match but segue into each other, then the black white grey will recede and the colors will bloom like flowers..... Just my opinion but still.....

Art work dictates colors in room and the amounts used

Contemporary Yellow and Gray Living Room · More Info

Again strong art work brings in colors

Surrey House · More Info

More a feeling of textures, but wood floor is off setting all the grey and white and tan; wood is the contrast.

My Home · More Info

• melinda towne
    7 years ago
    angle your couches to the corners. get a large palm for the olive couch corner and a full clear vase of deep red and gold tulips on the table. add a few throws and accent pillows. thats it. thatll do. i also feel like the mirror needs a nice trimmed out black frame. just imagine it. your home is beautiful. dont worry about making mistakes. some imperfections like an old crate or door can make your home feel lived in and still elegant. if your not comfy with those choices yet try a couple well read classic books stacked on the hearth. you know what your doin.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    I would consider moving the sofa over to the wall with the paintings and then putting more substantial chairs in the space. Here is how varying height of objects can alter the room.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

I see [accurate not sure] counter and fp stone a warm almost caramel-coffee? But some furniture is grey, and I don't know about that. Are there any pieces that aren't comfy/ good to your eyes? Seems you need rich russets or amethyst/ eggplant for all your rich neutrals.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Inventory I think. Is rug a chevron cowhide type? What color is its sofa? The rug doesn't seem to 'do anything' for the sofa. More items should fit vibe of kitchen slate floor, etc......

These colors?

Caesar Area Rug, Rectangle, Eggplant, 5'x8' · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

With Flo's added color, or ...

Couristan Anatolia Royal Plume Rug, Cream and Plum, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Khaki-tan window and slate and brown sofa --

Colette Panel Lattice Beige and Blue Rug, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Some colors already there?

Safavieh Valencia Collection VAL102 Rug, Blue/Gold, 5' X 8' · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Bashian Kyler Taupe Area Rug, 5.6'x8.6' · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Idea to bring gold mirror into dining area - maybe would brighten look near dark unit?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Bring DR art with 'natural' slate colors [?] to fp? Buy a lively/ bright rug for that area.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 years ago

Consider introducing color and texture through rugs and artwork. Check out our artwork here: www.ShoaGallery.com. Many colors and sizes to choose from.

Enjoy decorating!