Houzz Logo Print
bekkyboo7

Frame colour

bekkyboo7
7 years ago

Hi, just after some advice on frame colour. What colour frame would you put around this print? It is to go on a wall painted in British paints Arctic Crossing. The piece is 80x110 and its going to be the feature piece on that wall so not competing/needing to work with anything around it.

Comments (33)

• PRO
    The Bowery
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello bekkyboo7,

If you looking for some beautiful and suitable frames for this print. Take a look at our store. We have several photo frames for this print. You can also check interesting wall arts here.

The Bowery home decor have unique photo frames. Select a nice frame according to your need.

Picture Frames online in Australia at The Bowery

Have a nice day!!

Cheers!!

The Bowery Store

Australia

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Would limed wood fit your room?
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    Where is the pic from? It's lovely.
    bekkyboo7 thanked bigreader
  • bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's a limited edition print of an artwork by Johanna Wilbraham called 'Jorani'. It is even more beautiful in person. Im not sure limed wood would work as our home has a scandi feel to it, the limed effect may be a bit too rustic. It would look lovely though.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

A photo of the room it's going in really will help.

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    Same colour as grey background
  • bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The wall is currently behind a shelf and a kids tent haha so I can't take a photo of that but this is the entry of my house, the same colours are consistent all the way through. White, timber and hints of black (like a jute, black and white herringbone rug, planter etc) does that help?

• Kerri Scholl
    7 years ago

Odd as it sounds, I would use a pale yellow. Too dark and i think you loose the drama in the painting, too white and it blends in to the background of your walls. Yellow would pick up tones in the timber in your house, but stands up to black. Yellow would also brighten the blue and pick up some of the highlights. It also works well with Scandi, and keeps the print from going cold.

I am aware that it isn't an easy color to like for most people. So, just throwing it out there.

bekkyboo7 thanked Kerri Scholl
  • Kerri Scholl
    7 years ago

I should mention that peach could also work very well. All the pastels are in vogue at the moment, so just take your print in and see what you like with it.

bekkyboo7 thanked Kerri Scholl
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    Not yellow not peach but could go gold timeless
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Definitely Black
    bekkyboo7 thanked KK1000
  • PRO
    Designs by Chloe
    7 years ago
    Even a simple white frame could work so it's not competing for attention. Let the print stand out. Love the staircase by the way!
    bekkyboo7 thanked Designs by Chloe
  • Vy
    7 years ago

I'd go metal..copper to catch the hair

bekkyboo7 thanked Vy
  • Najeebah
    7 years ago
    black and charcoal, would work, but I agree with Vy; copper will be great
    bekkyboo7 thanked Najeebah
  • bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone! Lots of great advice here!

7 years ago
    I would take the print to a framers. You may like another matt to complement the White which will make the art look more "finished" and "professional" in its frame. Then try different colour frames to complement the art. I agree, either charcoal or bronze may be the way to go. In any event, it is just lovely. You have great taste.
    bekkyboo7 thanked 94236633
  • asquithoatley
    7 years ago

Used to work in a frame shop- agree with others , simple black frame off white mat

bekkyboo7 thanked asquithoatley
  • Koule' Krayon
    7 years ago
    Just protect it.
    Go with a larger frameless frame.
  • ladyrob1
    7 years ago

I agree with others too...black..not too wide, or white,,same or as above frameless but perhaps a bit classier without the clips...alternatively, the same colour as the wall. Frames are things to protect pictures or to adorn them. Make the picture the centre, its nice as it is. Maybe even a thin metallic just to hold the glass in. Just for shock value you could pretend its a Da Vinci or an Andy Wharhole...= totally over the top ornate/ostentatious gold or....have it turned into a canvas print mounted on a 5cm thick stretched canvas...no frame at all and so make a big thing of the picture. There are plenty of these prints around so individualising it could be a good way to go....make it unique among its peers with a clever, unexpected choice of framing.

bekkyboo7 thanked ladyrob1
  • PRO
    Ella Kate Thrupp
    7 years ago

I like white - black can sometimes be a bit too heavy, particularly for a subject like this painting.

bekkyboo7 thanked Ella Kate Thrupp
  • ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Lots of good suggestions here! Just thought of a couple more with which I've been pleased. Have you heard of "shadow box" frames? A bit 1950's but sometimes they work really well. Also..if you have a recycled wares shop nearby you might be lucky to come across an even older style frame that's just carved timber...usually squirls or flowers...then...luckier still, there are frames around in second hand shops that are basically timber but that have been enamelled and shellacked and look like pottery or tortise shell and have a curved arch at the top.The Italian migrants brought these into the country in the 50s...mainly for enshrining photos of ancestors or prints of Saints... Strange combination? Yes, but sometimes these unnusual frames can pair with a relatively modern artwork to striking effect. The only problem might be size.....just a couple more ideas.

• PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    7 years ago

I would either go black or gold. If you want to be safe black is the way to go but i can see a metallic gold frame just completing this pic! Gorgeous picture by the way!

bekkyboo7 thanked Morel Construction Ltd
  • Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

you can never go wrong with Black and / or White but you may be surprised ... A photo of my dog that I took to a picture framer ended up looking better with a light greyish surround and a bluish grey frame and I wouldn't change it for the world. This picture is so lovely and I would love it myself. You have so many tones that you could pick out e.g. you have the blue, brown and cream tones. A framer will know what is best and you can try the different ideas with the framers samples before you make your choice.

bekkyboo7 thanked Bernadette Staal
  • Dianne Falzon
    7 years ago
    I think stick to the Scandi blonde wood. Box frame not a conventional one, these are sleek and modern like Scandi design teamed with a white matt would look perfect.
  • PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    7 years ago
    A simple plain black or oak frame. Timeless and suit a scandi look
    bekkyboo7 thanked 2 FIND and DESIGN
  • ladyrob1
    7 years ago

To bekkyboo7.....suppose you are drowning in suggestions! Before you put a black frame on this lovely soft pastel coloured print....just be aware that the examples of black frames given here are on B&W prints or photos! Of course they look good! I take back my thoughts on a black frame. You are probably drowning in all the clever ideas and did not expect such an outpouring...I think we may have covered the whole spectrum of colour right up to what's EN TREND...i.e. pastel colours !

I think its up to you now bekkyboo7....Do not go gently into this sea of suggestions.

May I offer one last little idea. When I was an Art Student Oh so many years ago, my tutor taught us that if we could not come up with a colour that would complement one we were working with....here's what to do: Put the object to be colour complemented in the sunlight. Stand in front of it with eyes closed for about 30 seconds and look into the dark behind your closed eyelids...then open yor eyes and look at a white sheet of paper....whatever the colour should be will appear, either directly in the dark or on the white paper. Since there are many colours in your picture....the most important one will take precedence and you will "see" the colour you need to use for the frame that will complement the picture. I've always found this method to be foolproof. Your brain does not lie..... and that's science by the way, a discovery of Sir Isaac Newton, definitely not hokus pokus.

Try it....its fun and amazing. Good luck bekkyboo7!

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    7 years ago
    Killen showed an image of the exact same artwork with black frame above and looks amazing and picks up the outline of the girl beautifully... The images above were to show a scandi feel of art with simple frames as the rest of the home is in scandi style..
    bekkyboo7 thanked 2 FIND and DESIGN
  • sniff
    7 years ago
    maybe teal blue frame just an idea
    bekkyboo7 thanked sniff
  • Sheila Firmin
    7 years ago
    A completely different way to go would be completely frameless. The picture is so beautiful, also open at the sides, that a frame would constrain it. I have an abstract pastel in soft colours that we mounted on board behind glass with tiny clips to hold it in. Worked well. Worth considering non reflective glass if you think you won't lose too much detail. All the best.
    bekkyboo7 thanked Sheila Firmin
  • killen
    7 years ago
    Why not make contact with the artist- Johanna Wilbrahim through her face book page & ask her recommendation?
    bekkyboo7 thanked killen
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

She might have a copyright concern with it being on Houzz, unless she put the photo on Houzz photos section originally?

• ladyrob1
    7 years ago

Yes, agree with sheilafirmin... frameless also suggested earlier, Also agree with non reflective glass in whatever frame.

To FIND and DESIGN, Yes, saw Killen's post featuring a thin black frame. I liked the idea at first but on seeing that photo I did not think it worked. My mention with respect to black frames on B&W pictures was an observation not a criticism. I actually liked that display but did not think it a good example for framing a large delicately coloured picture. Ultimately its bekkyboo7's individual decision as to what "looks amazing" or trendy...whichever is the aim. Maybe it would be really helpful if somebody had some photographic examples of similar large delicately coloured pictures in frames that work. . Its such a lovely sensitive picture, perfect for near or in a children's room, it would be a shame to get the frame wrong.

Maybe the suggestion of visiting some framing studios and take the picture along? (For me that would be like handing the ideas I have in my head over to the framer....and not all framers are aestheticists...mmm that might be a bad idea...unless you can find "THE ONE".) Maybe visit a gallery for inspiration and make a lovely day of it? Sound nice? It might be the charm that makes it all come together. Maybe ask the gallery people for a recommendation of a framer...they all have their preferred professionals. I liked the suggestion of a frame of the same colour as the background in the picture..... I'm done. Hope you find something that looks truly amazing. Oh I've been away from this "game' for far too long,,,am inspired to get my easel out..only now I'll have to find a nice comfy high stool.

I love HOUZZ! So much to be inspired by!