Houzz Logo Print
karen_burgess3783

Matt or shiny tiles?

Kazwa
7 years ago
What are the pros and cons of matt or shiny tiles? I heard shiny tiles are easier to clean but my tiler said this is a fallacy.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Alix Helps Interiors
    7 years ago

Hi there, it depends where you're using them I guess. There's no doubt that if you're talking about flooring you need to keep safety in mind. The high gloss ones can be super slippery when wet. A matt finish is a more contemporary look, I'd say and is most forgiving with marks and dust. What area are you tiling?

• Kazwa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oops, right yes it would've made sense to give more info. I have a very small bathroom and thought I'd use a simple 300x600 white tile for the walls.....tiler suggested a matt finish for a modern look
  • PRO
    Alix Helps Interiors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What's going on the floor? The satin finish is a good compromise, it has a slight sheen to it and just looks a bit more classy than a gloss. Easier for cleaning in a shower than matt too. Try to introduce some different textures through your finishes to create a nice balanced space. Good luck!

• Kazwa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So matt is harder to clean in the shower? That's all I really need to know lol
  • PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    7 years ago

Matte would be fine for cleaning. Yes a glossy finish would be easier but matte adds a great texture to the room!

Kazwa thanked Morel Construction Ltd
  • robandlyn
    7 years ago

We have recently built a house and have 4 bathrooms - 2 family bathrooms (1 upstairs, 1 downstairs) and a guest ensuite and a main bedroom ensuite. I love the look of gloss tiles and my interior designer said that gloss tiles show every mark - so we got them in the ensuites (where adults are hopefully more careful) and got the semi-gloss in the family bathrooms. The semi gloss definately show less marks and are easier to clean. The gloss do look very smart, but they are slippery when they are wet.

Kazwa thanked robandlyn
  • asquithoatley
    7 years ago

We have large format matt tiles in the shower and walls, easy to clean and look great.

Kazwa thanked asquithoatley
  • Gioenne Rapisarda
    7 years ago

Hey Kazwa - I have gloss on the walls in my shower and cleaning isn't an issue. Let us know what you choose.

• montytaffy
    7 years ago
    Once a tile is glazed it makes no difference in regards to cleaning it's like saying either gloss or matt crockery is more difficult to clean. Unless the glaze is porous and absorbs the stain they are both the same to clean.

Matt is trending at the moment but gloss would be more light reflecting.
  • Kazwa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Montytaffy - is light reflecting a better option for a small room?
  • Kazwa
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Gallifrey thanks for the pic, it's actually a very similar look I'm going for
  • olldroo
    7 years ago

Originally I had a dark matte tile on the wall and it was a nightmare, it showed every spot of water and had to be thoroughly dried whenever I cleaned it. I now have shiny white and am loving it, it seems to stay clean for ages and I just love the fresh look of the room. I used the equivalent tile on the floor and after having small floor tiles, one matte and one a non slip finish, I do find they are very slippery when wet and care does have to be taken. I keep a thick mat on the floor when getting out of the shower and this helps a lot to reduce the risk of slipping. Overall, I just love the shiny white, both my bathrooms are small and it really does enhance the rooms.

• PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    7 years ago

Gallifrey - Such a gorgeous bathroom! Love your choice of tiles with the white walls.

• montytaffy
    7 years ago
    Yes Kaswah shiney tiles and white in particular should reflect light from Windows and light fittings.
  • lostinreno
    7 years ago

Definitely go for shiny in a small bathroom, it will make your space that much brighter, fresher. bigger, a no brainer in my book ;)

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

We only have a small frosted window, and have no issue with brightness and our matt white tiles. Still very light. Anyway, modern LED lights are amazing.

Go for which ever look grabs you. I find gloss porcelain tiles a bit yesterday.

• Sarah
    5 years ago

I'm planning a subway tile finish in my bathroom and thought a combination of white matt and shiny subway tiles could be interesting. Has anyone tried this?

• Katrina Lockhart
    4 years ago

Hi @Sarah did you use the white matt and shiny subway tiles. I am thinking of doing that myself. would love to know how it turned out?

• Sarah
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Katrina. I ended up using while matt subway tiles only and I think they look great. They are 300m x 100mm so quite large for subways. The ensuite, though very small gets a lot of daylight and I felt the gloss ones had too much of a hospital toilet feel about them,A also the matt is a little more gentle on the eyes than the gloss, just a softer look. However the real reason for not using both was because i ended up choosing a very busy floor tile. I used a pale grey grout too as i wanted to embrace a monochromatic lines look. You'll see what I mean by the attached photos.

• Creativelychallenged
    4 years ago

Sarah, do your floors have a cushioned or rectified edge and was the shower recess done slightly lower than the rest of the floor? It looks lovely.

• Sarah
    4 years ago

The floor tiles are rectified. The floor area into the shower is flat and doesn't drop down. I used a linear drain from wall to wall across the entrance to the shower. Does that make sense?

• Katrina Lockhart
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>@sarah that looks beautiful. Great job. I’ve ordered mine now. I’ll see how it looks at the end fingers crossed. Stone grey tile on floor, Matt white 600x300 on 3 walls and white handmade gloss 75 x 40 on vanity/shower wall. Brass tap ware. I have no idea how it will turn out. I’m hoping haha have never done this before and so hard making such permanent, not easy to change, decisions
  • cfaulks
    4 years ago

I need some advice...I am doing Carrara marble gloss on wall and Cararra marble Matt on floor do you think that will look okay? or should i do all gloss...bathroom is a good size with large window in front of bath.

• Jason G
    3 years ago

@Sarah. So you used Matt finished tiles on shower walls? Is it harder to clean than a gloss finish? I’m installing Matt finish on shower walls now.

• Kazwa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I have large white tiles in a Matt finish..... no regrets

• Sarah
    3 years ago

Matt is no harder to clean than gloss. I'm very hppy with mine. Been in my bathroom 5 years now.

• Jason G
    3 years ago

Awesome. Thanks.

• Jason G
    3 years ago

Btw. Any of you have hard water!?

• Hannah Hubbleday
    3 years ago

@Sarah can I ask what colour the wall is in your bathroom, I'm looking for something just like that! Thank you

• Sarah
    3 years ago

Hi Hannah The wall colour is Dulux Ghosting Half.

• Sarah
    3 years ago

Correction! Ghosting full strength, not hslf

• Tania Axisa
    3 years ago

Hi i am tiling a toilet. Im having braga black and white tiles on the floor and having a half wall of white subway tiles on the wall. Not sure if i should do matt on the wall as im worried that if i put gloss, the reflection of the floor tiles on the wall tiles is going to be too

• Annie Curran
    3 years ago

I have matt bathroom grey (which initially looked white) wall tiles just installed. HATE them. Go glossy please, everyone!