Houzz Logo Print
melarnell

Tassie oak or wormy chestnut?

melarnell
7 years ago
Hi everyone! We have to choose our timber flooring today and I am unsure whether to go with tassie oak (feature grade) or wormy chestnut.

It is for our kitchen, living and dining area. We will have a white high gloss kitchen and white dining table and black couches.

I feel they look quite similar in colour however wormy chestnut has a bit more feature through it? but just gathering opinions if possible. or if any experts can tell me their thoughts and opinions differences?

Comments (10)

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Are they both sustainable timbers?

• melarnell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have no idea? Are they generally sustainable or is it something I would have to check with the builder?
    7 years ago

What markings are on it? Is it full hardwood or engineered flooring or laminate?

These markings indicate sustainable timber

• melarnell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes both are full hardwood.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Not familiar with wormy chestnut. How thick is the actual timber board?
  • asquithoatley
    7 years ago

We once had tassie oak kitchen cabinets and they darkened very quickly when they were exposed to sunlight.

7 years ago

What company is supplying the wormy chestnut? Some companies claim theirs is sourced from the Vic Govt, and is certified sustainable. It mainly is cut in East Gippsland from old growth forests. On the other hand some suppliers are saying its from rejuvenated forests some years after bushfires

So both types of timber come from old forests.

Wormy chestnut is now in fashion because of its lovely markings, as the trees often grow twisted.

• John Henson
    7 years ago
    I've never seen that wormy chestnut here in Perth but just googled it and I think it looks nicer that the tas oak.