Houzz Logo Print
luciani65

Owner builder worth the headache?

b s
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Is owner builder worth the headache?

We have a budget I am worried if we exceed we will have lots of unfinished areas in the house

we know what 95% of our floorplan is and I'm also wondering if an architect is worth the money spent or if we should search for a draftsman?

Starting out and know nothing !

002.Contractor's 100 · More Info

Comments (64)

• User
    7 years ago
    Sustainable design is one of the considerations that has to be made a building design would do this.... Let's be clear... A Draftsperson with technical skills should not be contracted. As they are not qualified to do this...
    A building designer has training on space and conceptual planning. Sustainable design, energy, passive design..... Planning for future, structural design, bracing, tiedown and more. It's like comparing green apples and red apples. Building Designers can do anything an architect can do...
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

it would be wonderful to have the good fortune to contract the best available expert to create the best possible solution for every project but a private individual usually doesn't have that many opportunities to test an architect and/or designer, apart from word of mouth recommendations... without being very involved in the design process the home owner risks a very expensive surprise

• Related Discussions

Before/after - our new home

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for your lovely comments! We did owner builder. So there were quite a few things we did ourselves. The kitchen we probably spent the most on about $20k due to the shaker style cupboards & use of 2 Caesarstones but it was worth it because I'm very happy with our kitchen! As for our flooring upstairs we used a hard wood in jarrah.
    ...See More

Make builder change drawers? Worth it or not? :/

Q

Comments (38)
    I have to agree with the comment on symmetrical. I really thought that was something I should be pedantic about but then I had to take into consideration what storage I needed and as my kitchen is only small, there was no way I could even begin to think symmetrical. I chose to have finger pulls on my drawers which unlike handles does not draw attention to the unevenness, but even then I actually prefer the fact that each of my drawers are different, to me it is more interesting, and better still, helps OLD minds like mine remember where I put things.
    ...See More

Architect, building designer, drafts person, oh my!

Q

Comments (47)
    Jacinta, am very sorry to hear that you've had no luck with your project pursuits......but may I also add your story is unfortunately not too uncommon and it doesn't surprise me...........after doing this for a fair while now may I add a comment or two.....skimming through the post above, a completely underestimated and often overlooked skill required by a design professional, whether categorised as an architect, designer, drafty or whatever is their capacity to manage the client's expectations of what is viable in a certain situation for a certain budget with their experience and knowledge. Yes construction costs have risen, and will continue to do so, and that's nothing new. $350K depending upon what you're doing and where, once upon a time was a healthy budget, but not anymore when you stack up the components. that is not to say that you cannot do anything, but to achieve something you'll need to be working with people who are all over the current construction costs and can help you strategically and logically consolidate your priorities simultaneously within the design/creative process to resolve an appropriate solution. There is always a (creative) solution to a scenario and a way to successfully navigate/negotiate challenges such as council limitations, challenging context, budget or whatever. Honestly, as a designer that's the easy bit, the hard(er) part is managing people in negotiating their particular "wants" and expectations and relative costs. What I understand really gets to people (like you have clearly experienced here ) is the unpleasant surprise and disappointment down the track after investing time and money with a company/designer in believing that you're working towards a feasible outcome when in reality the concept/direction is revealed to be non-viable, stonewalled or beyond budget. To avoid exactly this issue I service the front end of projects very broadly considering hard costed concept scenario options and hence "cutting to the chase" in order to appropriately align project requirements and project budget against the relevant specific contextual backdrop. Very quickly we endeavour get a realistic and accurate handle on whether a particular project direction is going to be viable or not and manage the client's expectations appropriately and fairly with minimal time and investment from their end. Depending upon the client and situation this step of the process initiates recalibration of client expectations (on budget or brief) and identification of what is possible one way or another so moving forward can occur with confidence and efficiency. From experience this has proven to avoid the exact situation you've unfortunately experienced. This should not be a "nightmare", rather it should be an exciting time in the process. At the end of the day it all comes down to money, it is invariably the ultimate controller of the decision-making process and accordingly you need to find and work with people who inherently understand this and can design honestly for you with respect to this factor and your specific needs. I hope this helps in some way and completely understand and sympathise with your situation :)
    ...See More

Home Owners Warranty Insurance (Home Building Compensation Scheme NSW)

Q

Comments (5)
    Absolutely, 100% ;) .....interestingly with that homeowners/builder's warranty, it's arguably a big fat farce.. because if push ever comes to shove they have limits on how much will be paid out regardless of the job cost, and it's a ridiculously low blanket cap like $197K......apparently it's only rarely ever paid out to even that amount and it's only in the case of say a builder dying or going bankrupt with unfinished works....so it never ever covers the whole build costs even though it's based on the contract sum...how dodgy is that! - shows who's really making the money in this game ;) ........so siriuskey absolutely great/sound advice to have as much insurance in place as soon as the building is completed, so if it unfortunately burns to the ground at least it's covered by a home policy....but cross your fingers while it's in construction and hope for the best!!!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Architelle Architecture & Interior Design
    7 years ago

Becoming an architect takes 7 years, with a minimum of 2-3 years working practice experience, mentored by more senior architects. Therefore a fully qualified architect would usually have at least a decade of design experience (along with plenty of practical on site experience), to provide solutions to your brief. This is not a 'waste of time' but an investment in knowledge, skill and experience that will ultimately benefit our clients.

To call yourself an 'Architect' you must be appropriately insured and participate in continuing education. Architects are registered by a government body (the Architects Registration Board) whose key role is to protect consumers by ensuring services provided to the public are carried out in a professional and competent manner, disciplining architects who have acted unprofessionally or incompetently.

While there are some fantastic building designers out there, they do not come with the extensive education, training and registration process that is required to become an Architect.

• Ann B
    7 years ago
    Very interesting discussion. I hope, b s, you are not feeling confused. It is daunting, the whole process, but eventually you can get a very good result, whichever way you choose to go. I believe it's worthwhile to gather as much info and input as you can, take your time to think it all through, and then, trust your gut in deciding which way to go. Only you and your family know which route will or won't work best for you. Pls keep us posted! :)
  • b s
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is a building designer something different to an architect? I'm wondering if this would be our happy medium financially?

I'm starting to think that the kindest way with our budget but also sanity (and time) would be to find a builder who will take it To lock up with plastering and then we take over (because we have contacts for electrical, kitchen, carpet)

• b s
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also as we know what we want our floor plan to be and I trust myself with my creative flair to sort out the inside interior design wise, I'm wondering if we can do without an architect. I would absolutely love one and I'm sure they ARE worth the money spent but at the end of the day we ARE on a budget

I'm just wondering if we go down the path of a draftsman, what we will be missing out on

sure it's not going To look like the best architect in Aust held the reigns for us but yeah.. Hmm confused. The only reason I'm confused is because I just don't know The industry in depth enough

• b s
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And as a matter of interest,

if you had a budget of 600-650k, how many squares would you want your house to be? Medium finish quality

• PRO
    Architelle Architecture & Interior Design
    7 years ago

Anyone can call themselves a 'building designer' - if you go down this route be sure to check out their reputation, experience and portfolio thoroughly to make sure they can deliver to your expectations.

A good local architect (as opposed to a 'Grand Designs' architect to the rich and famous) wouldn't necessarily be any more expensive than a good building designer.

Either way, check them out, get a quote before you commit and be comfortable whoever you choose will give you the level of assistance and guidance through the design/approval/build process that you need.

Also look at this really helpful Houzz article: https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/6-reasons-why-you-should-haul-in-professionals-for-your-next-project-stsetivw-vs~28663633 

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Two's Company Renovations is quite correct re. Draftsman vs Building Designers vs Architects. If you're building a high rise in Sydney's CBD you'd go straight to an architect as that's their skill set and qualification. You wouldn't go to a draftsman as they just do plans and the good one's also design, they don't do the rest of the processes in that situation that an architect is qualified to do. Would you use a well known star architect to do your basic 4m x 4m treated deck job? Course not, you'd use a draftsman or building designer. For the majority of residential dwelling jobs use either a good draftsman or building designer. For difficult and overly complex 100% bespoke jobs designed down to the last screw and nail use an architect so that they can control and oversee the project for you rather than relying on yourself and builder alone.

• b s
    Original Author
    7 years ago

On a 50-60 square home on a completely flat block

would <$15k for the following be a good price?

Soil test

surveyor Windows survey

structural drawings

Energy thermal report

The price includes drawing for a 'high' finish home

also is this quote missing anything?

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Standard plan set should include the following:

Cover page with site area calculations, zonings, general site details

Site Plan

Waste Management Plan

Floor plans

Floor Structure Plan - Slab Layout/Pier/Footing Layout, etc.

Elevations

Section Plans

Roof Plan with a draft stormwater plan (goes to Hydraulic Engineer, Plumber, etc.)

Window and External Door Schedule

Shadow Plans - If needed

Landscape Plan

Driveway Plan - if needed.

Electrical Layout (draft only as is used as a starting point for owner to discuss with electrician/builder)

General Specifications

Basix Certificate (NSW only) (Energy Efficiency Reports outside of NSW)

Bushfire Assessment - If needed

Notification Plans

I include the council documents as well such as Statement of Environmental Effects, all DA/CC/CDC forms completed.

Obviously the work is designed and drawn to the relevant building codes, Aust. Standards, local council LEP and DCP, state planning reg's, etc.

We haven't even considered the concept plans and the developed design stage, 3D photomontages, etc. here...... these plans and documents are for council DA/CC/CDC.

The structural & hydraulic engineer will organise soil testing so they can do the plans for those. These are usually outside of the cost estimate as they can vary significantly from site to site.

A Site Survey (Contour Survey) by a professional surveyor is an extra as well.

Cabinet and Joinery Plans - I rarely include detailed versions as these are usually done by the Kitchen and Joinery companies.

The $15,000 mark could somewhere near the mark, depends on the detail required, complexity of site, council, design, engineering, standard building processes used or more of a bespoke custom building process.... How many hours are needed to prepare the above? Say $100+ per hour as a minimum for a draftsman perhaps?

Full detailing and specification of a super high end fit out will take many hours of discussions and meetings as well as then designing and drawing it all up.

This is where a house by an architect cost's so much; It's the level of detail and specification as well as the level of construction standards all overseen and managed by the architect.

Is this high standard of detailing needed on a dwelling using standard building process even with a high quality fit out?

Up to the owner really and depends on their situation of money and time.

b s thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Yes Vy, but some architects don't and want a statement piece from the external view. Outside with a WOW factor and inside worked around outside concept. We have been sacked by 2 architects as they only wanted to do their own designs even when one was not code comlliant. That is how we got into design outselves and now only use draftspeople. However we were in the industry so experience plays a lot. I like the idea of going to an architect for ideas then following through with a draftperson. However make sure you own the copyright each time.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

re: soil test $600 ..we had an environmental overlay on our site as there was a petrol station at the corner a few shops down from us in the 1960s mind you..

they were going to charge us 50K to do soil test decontaminate the soil etc etc

we fought it as the building was existing ..and all we were doing was digging 3 holes for footings for our cantilevered deck..

do your research and know your rights

also councils can make mistakes too..they approved our plans for our deck to protrude 30cm over the laneway..the builder picked it up and we built it just to our border

• Vy
    7 years ago

Lesley Hawkins ..yes ..trick is to find one that's on the same wavelength as you..:)

• User
    7 years ago
    How about you just check if they are a licensed building designer... The same as you would check if they are a registered architect?
  • User
    7 years ago
    Building designers and architects licensed/registered are both insured and work under a government body and they are both legally bound to the laws and acts that govern the scope of their license. Architects do 4 years of study .... Not 7 where as designers develop their knowledge through hands on practical experience. Either way... Both insured both have to follow the same rules. Both can only do work that falls under the scope of their qualifications.
  • User
    7 years ago
    Allow $4000 - $10000 for pre approval design / planning and administration fees.
    Contact your certifier for post approval requirements and fees.
    Many of the following may or may not be applicable to your site. This is what you should allow for as a guide :

Stage 1

Soil report $200-500
    Survey $0 - $1200
    Reinstate boundary pegs if req'd $1200
    BAL rating $0-$500
    Admin fee for Council documents $0-$500
    -Ascons
    -title searches / RP Plans
    -POD
    - property notes
    - Planning scheme
    - other site applicable requirements

Flood report $0 - $60
    Slope stability report / Erosion $0-$500

Stage 2
    Design development $0- $40 per hour Working drawings $0-$2000

Bracing Design $0-250
    Footing Design $150-$750
    Wind rating $0-50
    EDA Design ( If required) $400 - $1000
    BERS EER $150-$200

Administration : $50
    Requesting quotes for h20 meter install.
    Request quote for sewer connection install.

Approval
    VXO - $600
    Plumbing and drainage - $500
    BA - $600
    MCU $600

Approval inclusions :
    Frame certificate : from supplier
    Window certificate : from supplier
    Slab certificate : from engineer

Non inclusions :

Contact certifier for quote on all post approval fees / inspection fees.

BS
    $15000 sounds more like not only fees for designing for building approval. Aswell as project administration for approvals and inspections.
    b s thanked User
  • bob marley
    7 years ago

owner builder is the way to go, architects and draughsmen, builders etc just fleece you.

i have recently finished a 5 bedroom 2 story home for $78 thousand with very little hassle, the councils want a bit of paperwork but nothing you cannot do yourself.

you can do all the basix and and site plans building youself, you only need a sparky and a plumber for a few days and a soil test and engineering plans all can be done for under $8 thousand. the savings are massive.

everytime a builder purchases building materials they add on a mark up, architects are just a complete waste of your hard earned ,you can sit down with a pencil and design a great home in a few hours, just incrporate all the things you like in other houses you owned or have visited into your ideas.

building your own home is easy despite what the housing industry tells you about building your own home .even if you have to hire tradespeople to do some work, they know a lot more about building than a lot of builders who in australia are not required to have a trade, and architects or in most cases engineers.so relax give it a go....

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Can you give a breakdown of the cost's and the time the job took?

$78,000 sounds awfully cheap but certainly not impossible if you're able to do a lot of the work yourself.

Also some pictures of the completed house.

I love hearing and seeing people go it alone rather than just paying others. This is a very environmentally friendly way to have a house by not spending much. Sweat equity I guess they call it.

• jennie collins
    7 years ago
    I'm currently doing O/B at the moment, for a big 200sqm reno onto our existing house..
    This is the second time in 12 years I've done one.

It's definitely possible whilst working. I did my first one while teaching full time with 3 young children-! Mind you, in took twice as long as it should have-!

I would not do O/B without an experienced architect-! My architect has worked with other builds in our area and so has a good working knowledge of their planning department. I am also paying for him to come on site with a building inspector at different times of the build for crucial inspections and assessments. On a $550K reno, I'm aiming to save $100K-! You can also contact me
  • jennie collins
    7 years ago
    PS: Do a hands-on 1-day O/B course first (they're about $300 for 2 people) - then you might be in a position where you can make a more informed decision.. All the best
    b s thanked jennie collins
  • Jon N Kate Miller
    7 years ago

Firstly, you mentioned that you know electricians? If you get a builder to take you to lock up all the electrics need to go in after roof frame, then they return after roof cover to finish before ceilings go up.. The builder may not be happy for you to use your own after this as they need to "sign off" for insurance purposes. Just something to think about.. OH and another HUGE mistake we made.. despite getting all relevant council & government approvals we didn't know we had to get Water board approvals before building either... So check and double check .

We are in the middle of owner building a four bedroomed, two storey south of Perth. Slab went down at the end of April and we are currently at downstairs ceiling stage. Finally all the HUGELY expensive scaffolding has gone!! Our budget is $350 (which we are slightly over @ present)! :-) The plans were designed by us both for a good few months until we were certain that nothing was going to variate. Incorporating room sizes that fit our current furniture, the downstairs Office and theatre are also bedrooms for the two eldest with the hopes of them moving out first and us reusing them as purpose later. We also drafted the plans on the computer using Archicad. The drafting person wanted $4000 and to be honest the plans we would have given had hardly anything left to do. Brick count and window placements were the trickiest bits as this is our first time.

Now as for experience and insider knowledge.. My partner is a construction supervisor, so we have pulled out all the favours , discounts and best tradies that are available to us. We opted for a fast second slab using Floortech, which gave us a quicker build time as the concrete needs less time to go off due to thickness. I have been doing a weekly blog on Wordpress covering our highs and lows as we go, floating loads of photos about and ensuring all my family n friends can keep up with our progress.

Good luck with whatever way you chose to go.. Both options will be a rollercoaster, but ultimately worth it.. x

• User
    7 years ago
    Bob Marley that's impressive.

What were your time frames... From the point you put pencil to paper to completion?

How long did your design stage from the point you put pencil to paper to get approval?

Who provided the F15 for your energy rating?

Who designed your frame and did the bracing and tie down calculations?

Who certified your frame? Manufacturer, certifier or council
  • User
    7 years ago
    Who did the calculations and specified the requirements to comply with energy efficiency for the home... Which method did you use? Did you use NatHers or DTS?
  • User
    7 years ago
    Here are some links that are helpful:

http://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/home-building-owners/owner-building/about-owner-building

Scroll down to find the fact sheet on owner builder:
    http://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/home-building-owners/owner-building/overview

The reason I'm impressed because both my boyfriend and I are in the industry and I came up with a 2story design at 180 m² and the cost came in at $80,000 .... Just for the frame/ Windows/ doors and without any finishes.
    Approx $444.00 / m²

Thats not including :

- fees to pay plumbers / electricians/engineers/contractors

- fees for any certifier fees or council fees etc

-fees to pay him and a carpenter for their time (3months of wages)

- over budget allowance.

So bob Marley I would recommend you start doing this for a living.
  • User
    7 years ago
    I would love to also see a copy of your decision notice.... And approval documents....
  • User
    7 years ago
    Jon N Kate Miller drafting work that requires tracing... A house your size would take me less then a day to trace. I would have charged $250.00. A $4000 quote ... That drafts person was charging you the equivalent of 3 weeks wages.

But maybe I could put that down to Perths economy?
  • jennie collins
    7 years ago
    I'm impressed that O/B's are doing their own drafting of plans...

Although I've done OB before, both times we've gone for an architect. My husband and I are both teachers, with 3 adult children st home and a busy social life and so 'time poor'. Our plans were expensive I admit, but worth the $40K..

We were given Council building approval in 4 days and every time I have a query, I ring my architect and he can give me the answer in a few mins.
    It all depends on how much time you have and also how complex your build is. We are not doing a 4x2 standard home with concrete pad. We are doing a 200sqm addition to a 1920 interwar worker's cottage. Our floor will be free-sprung off concrete footings, with many recycled & bespoke features. Extremely detailed plans gives us more 'peace of mind
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Koala' Krayon, for $4000 to bring up plans to a basic DA/CC/CDC standard would be about right, (if not more) even with an initial plans to start from.

It may have included all the documents as well such as Statement of Environmental Effects, BASIX/Nathers/etc.. BASIX is what we use in NSW rather than NATHERS or such like.

It depends on the local council requirements too as they vary. My local wants significantly more detail and information than the one beside it.

I too could 'trace' a plan but that isn't anywhere near what's required for plans in my area. They wouldn't even get past the Customer Service desk!

Most business's need to charge around $80per hour to make even a basic wage again depending on your area.

$40K is getting up there for architect's fee's but again depends on what's included, how much was detailed such as kitchen and bathroom fit out down to plug selection. I've seen architectural plans upwards of 150 pages for a renovation/addition......

• bob marley
    7 years ago

koule krayon,my guess is you are selecting new materials everywhere in your new build and doing verry little work yourself, I done 98% of the work myself .the only things I couldnt legally do myself I got others to do and then negoited a cash price where possible .i kept every reciept from my build and stand by my figures.when you are building and even when you are not you should be buying materials when you see them cheap

• jennie collins
    7 years ago
    Yep I agree $40K is "up there", but that did include full plans for a large rear brick shed..
    Also, came with full specs for everything needed for the build. Is solar passive designed and has a 6.2 environmental/sustainability rating (signed off on by an sustainability co)

The plans were that detailed and met with all the Council's planning legislation that they were approved in 4 working days-! Often, you get what you pay for - less headaches for me personally
  • PRO
    Bloom Collections
    7 years ago
    I'd agree with MB design, choose the architect carefully, you want a design oriented architect who shows good knowledge or willingness to understand your local council requirements.

You can engage a project manager who specialised in construction, you are still in control and ultimately responsible but they will generally have a good network of subs and will make sure nothing is missed.

Let me know if you want some resources for home building, happy to email you a check list and some resources.
  • User
    7 years ago
    I agree tracing plans... Easy as..
    10% of the time the plans that you are asked to trace are plans that will work.
    I guess it depends on what the clients put in front of me. But i was being paid to trace. The clients would only get what they pay for.
  • bob marley
    7 years ago

Plans are easy, do them yoursleve

• oklouise
    7 years ago

i've done numerous plans for major constructions and minor renovations including all the necessary negotiating with councils, drawing plans preparing DA, BASIX, heritage, environmental impact, owner builder, set backs, easements etc etc but it' a full time job keeping up with all the latest regulations and developments in building materials and the million other details needed to be decided when building or renovating. I now stick to the easy bit: thinking about what's needed and wanted, making CAD sketches of ideas, reseaching fixtures and materials and maintaining an excellent relationship with the professionals to finish the details with my close co-operation and appreciation...i've also realised there's a cost saving in using some professionals as the traddies and suppliers respond better to the professionals because they want the repeat business that the average homeowner can't provide

• jennie collins
    7 years ago
    I've just started our O/B prep work and so need the appropriate O/B insurance before the tradies start appearing on site.
    Amy recommendations please-? Cheers
  • bob marley
    7 years ago

Jennie we never had any ob insurance, dont think you need it as tradies should be insured

• oklouise
    7 years ago

Owner Builder Insurance is to cover anyone coming on site (eg stickbeak friends and neighbours) as well as insurance for damage caused to the existing property that is not covered by your home insurance while you're building or renovating ...check with your insurance company i wouldn't do any work without it

• PRO
    Bloom Collections
    7 years ago
    There is a middle ground here. You can use a construction project manager at critical points. Legally they can't manage the subs but they can help you source them and additionally can make sure you do things in the right order.

Most housing and building bodies offer a free owner builder information session or at minimal cost a training course.

I would also recommend insurance. If you use a registered builder they have their own insurance however not all tradies do have their own insurance and technically they are working for you.

Message me and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
  • spmm
    7 years ago
    My $0.02 - in NSW designers are NOT registered or accredited, beware. All architects are nationally accredited.

I suggest that there are a lot of things you can do yourself before you start - get a proper survey of your block, ensure that you get them to provide angles for anything that isn't square....understand if there are utilities like sewer pipes which will affect your setbacks or useable space......
    Go online and workout the sun angles for your longitude and latitude helpful for solar and overall layouts. West facing picture windows are not the best. Some of the solar firms have online calculators which help to do this.

Read the local council rules and understand them, apply them to your survey and your design ideas....including if you are a corner block and if you want to go two storey......

If it is still a 'go' Get all of the heritage, flood, fire etc checks done by council - around $150 depending on council........
    Eliminate or at least understand all the big constraints before you go any further........
    Look again at the survey- any contour lines may cost you money, assume a cost of at least $2000 per sqm to start and do some layouts of your ideas on paper, add up all of the spaces, can you actually put them on your block? How much is the total?.......yes garages are slightly cheaper to build but still take up precious footprint space.... Is access likely to cause issues for trades, equipment and deliveries?.........
    Keep refining and updating the ideas and plans thinking about how you want to use the spaces and move around inside and out.....where are you putting the wheelie bins, clothes dryer etc.....

Try the free to use BASIX site forms if you are in NSW, understand how the size, shading and orientation of windows affects your sustainability and adjust, this will also apply many of the local council rules as well.....
    Do you want a brick house, with render? A pole home, a kit build? A fast build insulated panel build? What type of roof?......

The more you have worked out for yourself the better, look at the kit home options, there are lots and some are very good... Everything is delivered and you just construct with the trades and some may have builders in your area.....The new InsulLiving Code Mark BCA approved options are also worth a look.....
    Anyway do all of that before you line up for the fleecing floor lol
  • spmm
    7 years ago
    O.O carriage returns

just wanted to add that there are more cranes in Sydeny than the US east coast so trades and builders are in high demand.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cranes-loom-large-over-sydney-as-home-approvals-hit-record-high-20150721-gih4vr.html
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

excellent owner preparation advice from spmm...helps us begin to understand what the professionals need to know

• jennie collins
    7 years ago
    After I did my O/B course, they highly recommend O/B's to take out insurance-!

If the tradies don't have insurance and they're injured on your building site, then WE are responsible. Additionally, if someone (friend etc) comes onsite and they're injured, we are directly responsible too. I heard of a horror story where a young child sustained serious head injuries on a home build and the O/B was sued and lost everything-!

It's just not worth the risk-!
  • bob marley
    7 years ago

Jennie collins, to be responsible for an accident you have to be found to be found negligent which lead to the accident happening.

Just make sure no one comes on site and everything is safe, then you dont need insurance I have built 6houses for myself and never had insurance or accident on the sites.

Another cost that is not needed or really justified in owner building.

• spmm
    7 years ago
    Bob marley the cost of insurance is trivial in comparison to build and labor costs on a project.

Builders can often build their own places cheaply because they have access to trade rates and are not trying to make a profit, the also know how to build efficiently and not waste materials.

I'm sure you have valid occupation certificates for all of your houses as well, but no pictures?
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

as the Owner Builder Licence holder i understood that i was liable for anything that happened on site. My home owners insurance wouldn't cover the cost of any injury or public liability or damage caused by activities related to construction..Our owner builder insurance was to cover the cost of damage to new materials and labour to replace accidental damage as well as injury to myself, the unpaid mate who helped unload supplies and the tradie who's personal insurance had lapsed. The fee was negligible compared to the overall expenditure and i suggest everyone check with their insurance companies to make an informed decision to suit their personal circumstances

• bob marley
    7 years ago

Spppmm...the costs of an unneeded insurance rise percentage wise with the lower costs of an owner build,i have found that council and basix compliance nonsense can be up to 12%of a home build, which is outragious..

• HU-191734727
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If your considering an owner builder - check out some of the renovation education sites to assist you. With your very own online builder to bounce ideas off and guide you in the right direction when you need it. I think they are called Naked Renovations - renovation education professionals . Good value. They are on fb at NakedRenovations, worth checking out.

• Anne Monsour
    3 years ago

2016 post - very old .