Houzz Logo Print
iggs85

Gooseneck mixer tap - reverse hot/cold lever direction?

Iggs
7 years ago
I've noticed a lot of gooseneck mixers have the hot water direction on the lever as closest to you. This seems counterintuitive especially with kids who will tend to pull it down every time. Can the plumber easily reverse this?

Comments (3)

• scottevie
    7 years ago

Our plumber certainly asked me which direction I would like, as I remember discussing how our kids tend to use a friend's tap by pulling forward and getting too hot water. I'm not entirely sure if this is possible with all designs. The plumbing store should (hopefully) be able to answer this question for you before you purchase.

• PRO
    Bloom Collections
    7 years ago
    You plumber can help you with this. At a fundamental level it's simply a matter of swapping the two Flexible hoses around so that the hose marked cold connect to the hot pipe and vice versa. Most flexible pipe is rated for heat so won't be a problem.

So essentially if you have some piping type and a wrench, you can do it. Don't forget to turn off water and check for leaks.
  • bellacatandme
    7 years ago

Good advice BC. My comment is a little off topic but related to mixers generally.

I'm doing all I can to utilise sustainable options for a lot of things in my new house and was surprised to read on a govt power info page that mixer taps use more power than just about anything else! When I thought about it I realise I turn the taps on and take what I need, before it heats up if it's in that position, rather than ensure it's always on cold to start.

The stop start of the HWS gets a workout here I know and I don't think we're the only household guilty of that. The website didn't recommend them. I've now changed my mind about a mixers for the new house and going back to hot and cold taps. Who knew :-0