Houzz Logo Print
nmorgan2210

1980`s house, should I keep verandahs or convert it onto living area?

Nick Morgan
7 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Need help to decide whether to push out the exterior walls to incorporate the front and back verandah space into the existing living area and double car garage below? Has anyone done this and what is the cost? The front verandah is located on the first floor and ground, this is 2m wide by 9m long. The front verandah is connected to the living area. However, this area will be reconfigured to accommodate an open plan living style. By converting the front verandah into living space and also the back which is 2m by 10m and this is only on the first floor, not the ground. These areas are 56sm that if were enclosed and integrated into the floor plan would add 56sm of the area to the house.

Any advice big or small would be appreciated

House Renovation Ideas of an 1980`s house · More Info

Comments (42)

• oklouise
    7 years ago

a floor plan would make it easier to make suggestions

Nick Morgan thanked oklouise
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Related Discussions

When renovating should I have 2 small living areas or 1 big area?

Q

Comments (3)
    just had a look at your existing plans for the second storey.. 1/ I'd make it all open plan .. First I'd move your bed 4 downstairs into the theatre room..reason ? bathroom is existing down there..you can turn it into a master suite..bathroom..study as retreat. which then leave you all that room ..bed 4 ..kitchen ..meals..lounge..foyer to just be one huge living area.. from that living area you can pop in a stacker door/bi folds to lead to your screen verandah. Personally I'd get rid of the screens and open it right up with banisters so you can have fresh air flowing in. You can do the same with the front as well to make it one huge area without much changes.
    ...See More

Help! Ugly facade 1980's mottled brick home.

Q

Comments (15)
    Do people lime wash brick in Australia for exteriors much? Perhaps your facade is not the type for it and anyway I think it's a really cool facade as is. It strikes me as going with a mid century modern vibe as oklouise is suggesting rather than perhaps more trad plantation shutter look. But if it is a look you like then limewashing could inspire. Having said that I like your bricks and the idea of using Domino.
    ...See More

Can houzzers help me renovate our 1980s kitchen?

Q

Comments (28)
    Could you swap the fridge with the wall oven, going by your photo both fridge and Wall Oven would fit side by side. I would definately have the fridge on the cook top wall and not on the other side of the kitchen. I see by the photo that the timber beam could be in the way, I would speak to your plumber who should have a simple solution on ducting the range hood. A simple one built into a special cabinet above the cooktop can recirculate or be ducted outside by either exposed stainless tube for your industrial/country look or have the ducting boxed in, the ducting can be flexable so no problem avoiding beams.
    ...See More

Help with changes to 1980's disjointed floor plan

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Josh, do you have a particular budget your aiming to keep within? And are you willing to be without use of the lower level for a certain period of time? Not being nosy but the more info the Houzz community have the more useful, and detailed, the responses can be
    ...See More
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Which direction is North on your floorplan?
    Nick Morgan thanked LesleyH
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bed 2 and 3 and lounge face dead on north

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The plans above are some ideas that could be done if verandahs were turned into useable space.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

my suggestion is based on your last drawing but i've tried to stay within the framework of the existing rooms (plus the verandahs) so that any new beams inserted to take the place of walls will be at natural divisions between the spaces...i've also added a full bedroom at the front of the house, instead of the void and there's still plenty of room for another full sized bedroom/study at the back as well as generous walk in storage and a great sized kitchen and dining area although i think you'll prefer a larger space for upstairs al fresco (with the outdoor kitchen under the old verandah roof) and an open area extending out to the edge of the downstairs alfresco roof with optional stairs down to the backyard..it's a very generous house and some new windows at the front will give the house a fresh new look as well

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    All plans utilising balcony space look good but I'd get builder or engineer through to give you idea of costs of demolition of and rebuilding walls as with oz energy star ratings and structure issues likely to be at or above max you want to spend eg $200K
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks heaps everyone especially oklouise for your ideas, I will take everything on board.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

can i now suggest leaving the verandahs intact because it won't reduce the liveability of the new plan...removing the walls between the kitchen, original dining area and living room will cost enough and makes a gorgeous open plan room with direct access to outdoors on both sides. The substantial savings would be much better spent on modernising the front facade, updating bathrooms, new kitchen, painting, new floorcoverings, lightfittings etc etc etc

....bigger is'nt always better and you still have all that space downstairs to think about..

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like this idea a lot better then the first, where the optional study is would it add more value as a study or void or extra living space. What do you think?

• oklouise
    7 years ago

value is only added if it costs less (including your labour) than the profit you expect to make so i can't see the point of creating a void and the study was just a means of using the verandah space if you decided to take down the outside walls...Leaving out the upstairs study (you still have another downstairs) will mean keeping the generous upstairs foyer, linen cupboard and all it's walls intact. There's space for some nice furniture in the foyer and keeping the wall and double doors will help restrict drafts and noise between the living room, stairs and bedrooms and with the double doors open the foyer becomes part of the living room for big crowds Upgrading the double doors to internal sliding doors would be an improvement and losing the study adds enough space to consider adding a fireplace??

keep demolition to a minimum and value add with fresh new woodwork, cabinetry, doors and walls etc...

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again okLouise

• oklouise
    7 years ago

glad you like it, good luck with whatever you decide

• chubbychicky
    7 years ago
    I like OK Louise's last plan best! Please keep the verandas.......building out the front one in particular will give your home a big, blank flat-faced look.....don't do it!!!! As it is, it has depth and dimension.....maybe look at bringing in a subtle change of colour in the verandah recess to tie in with the trims on the rest of the house and update the railings. PLEASE don't close in the front verandah!
    Nick Morgan thanked chubbychicky
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any ideas of colour schemes i could use?

• oklouise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

floor plans i can do... but colour schemes??? choose neutral and add extra colour with a bright front door (turquoise??) and furnishings, Antique White USA painted walls and white ceilings throughout, gloss white architraves skirting boards and doors (if they're old single core timber doors consider upgrading to solid core...more expensive but well worth the quality feel and replace any dated foyer and entry doors with modern painted glass panel doors) Timber floors for kitchen dining, living and upstairs foyer, light (grey?) carpet in bedrooms and stairs (DIY floating timber floor is tedious but rewarding and gives an extra layer of sound insulation and you could use the savings to add new curtains and blinds...good quality DIY flat pac white kitchen cabinets and stone counters should save enough to cover the cost of new stove etc Keep the original brickwork and tiles on the verandah floors: invest in some generous potted plants, gas barbq and outdoor furniture for verandahs (upstairs and down) and, if you have any time and money left, remove the arches across the front ...but, more importantly what about the bathrooms, laundry and downstairs rooms... we can't stop now??

• Fiona Anastasia Whitefoot
    7 years ago
    I personally think you should keep the verandas as they bring character to the home. A veranda (especially two story) would be a great thing to have on a warmly summer day!
    Nick Morgan thanked Fiona Anastasia Whitefoot
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again everyone on your help, by taking into account my budget and everyone's responses: I will do the following

Exterior

Keep the original brick facade

Change exterior colour scheme to add a modern look (Woodland Grey) and a medium grey colour and even a pale grey for some areas

Keep verandahs back and front and the arches as well

keep verandah tiles but new railings and front door and maybe even new outdoor lights maybe wood panelling on the verandah ceiling??? ( your thoughts)

Under the front upstairs bedrooms remove rose garden and plant a tea tree hedge with Buxus box hedge as the border.

Interior

Downstairs new big white tiles in foyer and plasterboard dark bricks throughout downstairs

Floor coverings that are carpet include (stairs, hall, bedrooms and lounge) same white tiles as foyer in kitchen and meal area.

New open plan gloss kitchen with caesar stone bench tops

Bathrooms are federation styled ( 18 years old) so maybe just new vanities and shower screen and new grouting or professional cleaning ( your thoughts) ???

Style throughout I think should be classic modern to tie in bathrooms and a broader market. ( your thoughts)

Colour scheme

Neutral tones

walls (caramel cream ) ( your thoughts) ???

gross white skirting boards and doors throughout

carpet ( light grey or cream-ish) ( your thoughts) ???

However not sure to paint windows or buy new windows in living areas and bedrooms and the other windows just paint them ( your thoughts) ???

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

House Renovation Ideas · More Info

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Colour schemes · More Info

Here are some colour schemes and ideas I think would tie everything together.

What are your thoughts?

• oklouise
    7 years ago

in response to your decisions: glad you're keeping the original brick and verandahs and the arches, yeah!! don't attempt to paint the alum window frames just clean frames and glass and add fresh new curtains and blinds..Greys with the dark brown tiles and windows looks good with a big splash of colour for the front door, off white and white for internal walls, ceilings and trim, not caramel. Verandah tiles look too good to rip up and new railings probably need to be higher to meet current legislation. Add classic new light fittings and probably some extra power points, don't change verandah ceiling.. add some wall lights, paint the wood panelling inside and plasterboard all inside exposed brickwork...i prefer timber floors upstairs but white tiles are OK if you can match the existing when the walls come down (consider continuous floor coverings in the kitchen/dining/foyer and living room with a great big floor rug in the seating area for a more streamlined look ......if you have white floors, keep the old timber trim and the future vintage 80's look, Light Grey carpet for stairs, upstairs hall, bedrooms, study and theatre, tiles for rumpus, laundry, front entry foyer and consider replacing all shower screens, toilets, taps, shower fittings and add new vanities, lights with heating and ventilation to the bathrooms and add a long bench with drop in sink and space for stacked washer dryer to the laundry and consider a mini kitchen/bar with sink fridge microwave along the laundry wall of the rumpus room OR the theatre downstairs (think self contained granny flat)...add some more BIG plants to the front garden (local nursery should be able to advise best species)..i assume you meant to include your sparkly new kitchen (BTW some of the old cupboards could be recycled with new counters in the laundry, theatre and storeroom (mancave?)..it's a great house and will be even better with a classic modern refurb..good luck

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow thanks so much oklouise

Yourfull of knowledge, wisdom and good advice

• oklouise
    7 years ago

glad to have someone to share it with..

• finniki81
    7 years ago

I would be filling in your arches with beautiful windows

Nick Morgan thanked finniki81
  • seagro
    7 years ago

I like Philippas Ws Idea of exploring the rear option. Its better bang for your $ buck. Subject to some structural and engineering investigation. You can also look at introducing a first floor trafficable verandah / alfresco area. This will make the first floor more connected with the rear Tennis Court and mimic the current cover provided by the ground floor veranda. Enjoy

Nick Morgan thanked seagro
  • philippawright
    7 years ago

HI Nick,

Pleased to see an update on your plans.

The more I think about your home especially its scale and the back of the property I think you could get some inspiration from looking up Hamptons style on the houzz search engine.

I think you could recycle your kitchen as the cabinets are actually a good shape and lend themselves to the Hamptons / shaker style look. New handles and splash back with vintage look subway types - again look at Hamptons style.

The lighting looks like it could also be improved.

Use some soft pastels in the grey tones and introduce some subtle colour. I would avoid pure white and go for trims with a hint of your broad wall colour.. Cut off the knobs on the stairs as they are immediately raging and think about painting the stars.

I quite like your brick features but think they may look better painted - not something I would usually do. I like the idea of using some shutters and this could be done to update your verandah. The inside of the verandah could be painted also.

Your vanities may be able to be painted in the Hamptons style and a new basin and tap added. I would add some strength to the pillars on your back verandah to give a more stable look and to develop the back area. Have a look and see what you think as having a style to inspire you can make it all work together much better and help you to make decisions. You don't have to be salve to a style but it does help.

Nick Morgan thanked philippawright
  • di_sin
    7 years ago
    Must keep verandah, just modernise it.
    Nick Morgan thanked di_sin
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi Nick not sure how far you are with your updating, we have a builder near us that had a house exactly like yours and did a makeover, I can take a couple of photos if you would like, he sold it to the local pharmacist and moved next door and made that house over too He kept the Archways.

Nick Morgan thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi Oklouise, your last drawing looks great, would you consider swapping the kitchen with the dinning area to give a larger opening/view to the verandah. this would also join both outdoor and indoor kitchens having them on the one wall, like the sit up to the open kitchen window.

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone thanks for your ideas and input. Just to keep you in the loop, we haven't started on the renovation yet as we think, for the kids sake next year would be better for them. siriuskey if you could send me some photos of that renovation in your neighbourhood that would be great.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

the position of the kitchen would have been determined by trying to keep within existing rooms (to save demolition and restoration of existing good ceilings and keep plumbing and power etc intact) and i like to keep the kitchen mess a bit around the corner out of sight but there's no obvious other reasons not to swop kitchen and dining but it would be best to post the "Dilemma" again when ready to start renovating because there's sure to be other ideas that may suit

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

would be happy get photos for you Nick, this builder rendered the walls, I think that the newer renders come with colour?,he will know I'am sure. He is near the beach and also added a look out which gave him ocean views, good to sit on your hands for awhile before starting Reno's as your idea's change

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi Nick I took a couple of shots today, phone camera wasn't performing very well so here goes. The wall colour is a pale grey green and he had the concrete roof tiles sprayed a soft grey, the new owners installed the solar panels. I will try to see if I can get a copy of the plans for you. The wall to the right has an enclosed swimming pool behind it.He used timber slats the house has been rendered inside and out

This is part of the interior of our late 70's house, we took out a couple of short walls between the kitchen/ living and internal courtyard to the left

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi there Nick, looking at your photos you look like a modern hamptons family which is lovely, do you live in a warm climate.

I did like the photo you posted of the open plan living and think that you are on the right track with interior colours

I have marked out how I would like the first floor, I have moved the kitchen to the end wall to line up with BBQ outdoor kitchen, plumbing for this would have easy access via the garage below.

The white tiles look lovely and hard wearing for the entrance foyer and Rumpus room, the stairs in timber due to the amount of traffic even continuing in up stairs foyer kitchen dining living,

Carpet in bedrooms and downstairs theater.

Kitchen in white but possibly Shaker style white doors these are very popular.

Using existing sliding exterior doors if possible from kitchen.Dining to verandah, I think this ceiling would be best kept white to help reflect light back indoors, the tiles appear to be in good order but you might consider changing these along with new upstairs flooring

Some where for a laundry shute would be handy, actually a Dumb Waiter so you could move the laundry with ease both up and down!

The roof painted a soft colour, grey/white or off white, the verandah railing could be the same colour or you could do glass. The builder had a very different style of house to what I think you are wanting.

Hampton · More Info

Your photo
    Concord Green Home · More Info

Sengekontacket Renovations · More Info

Kök · More Info

Interior Vasastan Gothenburg · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some ideas, not sure though on white/off white tiles or floorboards

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Love the photos Nick my choice for upstairs at least is floor boards (with sound proofing) Love the dining light, my favourite. check out (Toorak by Webb Brown Neaves) for beautiful flooring etc.

I have just taken a couple of photos in our street, we all face onto a canal, the big one is like yours, except for the giraffe driveway Uh!.

The one next door is a smaller 80's red brick that the owners re did approx 15 yrs ago, the colour is lovely, the house is lovely, the changed a lot of the interior and added the garage walls and window trims are the same colour withe the roof and gutters a slightly lighter colour in Colour Bond. The front door I really love and think it could work for your entry for extra light,here goes, my camera is playing up again

• Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks siriuskey i love the render too, what colour is the render?

• PRO
    H2O
    7 years ago
    What is the view and climate. If both amenable its valuable to have the opportunity for outdoor entertaining. I'm thinking drinks on the terrace. Maybe enclose one of the front or back terraces and leave the other.
    Nick Morgan thanked H2O
  • Nick Morgan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Charlestown in Newcastle NSW, 15 minutes drive to the beach and the block itself is elevated.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

I will check, you are in our part of the world 1 1/2 hr away