Houzz Logo Print

Bland living room

7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Houzzers, although my living room is "calming" I think it lacks something. I have tried injecting more colour but it still doesn't come together satisfactorily. I may have made a mistake with the rug. Any ideas and please feel free to nitpick. I can take it, ha ha.

Comments (74)

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    Yes mirror is to wide maybe you can flip it upright.
  • Jen Osborne
    7 years ago

Then it will be too tall!

• Related Discussions

From bland to beautiful - street appeal needed!

Q

Comments (33)
    I like all the garden ideas ( it does look a bit sparse and 'rental property' look about it IMO ) , with a low fence along the front , a wooden screen a couple of metres in front of the door , etc , BUT when I looked at the very first photo -- the wider angle one -- the one thing you notice first is the yellow marker post on the left hand side of the driveway fence . So take that as a cue , and paint the garage door a bright colour to stand out -- primary or metallic or trendy , just one that you like , and personally I'd probably change the curtains ( or even dye them ) to the same colour as the garage door . Right now , everything is various derivatives of off-white and red brown earth brick -- needs a decent spot of colour to lift the houses look IMO . Another option would be 'natural' timber blinds , especially if you had them the same shade of stain as the screen and the front fence , but I'd still do the garage door ( and maybe the guttering ) your current favourite colour .
    ...See More

Living room, family room, lounge room: What's the difference?

Q

Comments (0)
    Can anyone tell me what the actual difference is between a "living" room and a "family" room? Also is a "lounge" room just another name for either one of the above? Thanks
    ...See More

bland colour palet

Q

Comments (13)
    These are just a few rug ideas with blues and black. If your current rug is in good nick, it might be worthwhile looking around for some artwork to tie the neutrals together, and inject either navy or other colours into the room. There are some beautiful walls hangings which would add some texture and interest. A potted plant or two perhaps? i would not go to the expense of having the pool table re-felted unless you feel it really needs it.
    ...See More

Ideas to Spunk up our bland kitchen

Q

Comments (4)
    White is a great backdrop to allow you to accessorize with colours and change every few years. You will need to match the handle sizes. Try a more modern square style in gloss steel and match with a tap set. Then look at a pendant shade with a colour that you can pick up in accessories like toaster and kettle, so look at those first. Also consider a rug along middle of room to add some warmth. I know some hate that in a kitchen.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Jen, that is not a bad idea. I love that mirror and brought it across from another house. It is huge though. When I get my new furniture I will no doubt, rearrange the room.
  • philippawright
    7 years ago

My key impression looking at the room is that everything is oversized for the space and there is too much in the room. If you are rethinking furniture - definitely think smaller framed and lighter colours. The mid century idea is a good one but the most important thing is to reduce the business of the room and think about proportions of the pieces you are using.

Perhaps you have pieces in other spaces that would work better or take a few things out and move things around.

I agree the mirror is too big - try it on another wall and hang some art in its place.

I think the wing chair works well as it has light underneath and is a lighter tone and less bulky which is what you need.

Try moving things around before you invest in anything new and when you do be clear about what you need to resolve the problems by defining the style or shape or weight of each piece.

You can be eclectic but that should come after the key pieces are decided otherwise you can make expensive mistakes.

All the best

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Phillipa, more good advice. It is all starting to come together in my head now.
    I have another mirror which may suit above fire and will post pic soon.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This may be a bit hard to see, but it is just to show the scale of the other mirror. It is a lot narrower and a bit higher and not as beautiful, but I can accommodate the big mirror elsewhere. Is the other mirror the right scale Houzzers?
  • PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    7 years ago
    I agree with most of the comments above. Moving your beautiful mirror is a great idea and will bring in lovely natural light.. your artworks are hung at the perfect height. Taking inspiration from the cluster of candles on the tv unit might be a good starting point to adding more colour to the space. Keeping colour to your accessories will allow for quick and inexpensive updates in the future or for seasonal changes. Good luck and look forward to seeing the outcome
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    All good comments and thus has probably been suggested but I don't like cushions blending into furniture ie same colour. As first thing I'd move all cushions so they don't match colour of sofa/chair they're on A bit of colour contrast or complementary colour would be great
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks girlguides, that is me being safe again.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Houzzers, I like a Nokeby 2 seater sofa from IKEA. I like the rust and also the light grey. I would put the big mirror over the sofa, move the wing chair to where I usually sit which is near the end of the couch, then I will have room to put the matching footstool in front of the wing chair. I like to have feet up when watching TV.
    I would then get 2 smaller (than the big leather chairs) accent chairs to go either side of the TV console.

Not sure what I will put above fireplace yet. I think the tapestry, which I bought from a village in Cyprus, may not look good there as it is more informal.

I would like opinions on couch and colour. Many thanks.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    These are photos with better light 94236633 posted on a second post.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    LesleyH, you are a marvel!
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    This is the Nokeby 2 seater sofa in light grey or rust that 94236633 is talking about. I like that they are streamlined. Comfort is important to test though.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Sorry forgot the sofa.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think that one is from USA. The one I like has wooden legs.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    I was on the australian site perhaps you meant this one.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No, it is like the first one but dark wooden chunky legs. It is bizarre I can't seem to find it myself.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also that one is 3 seater, the one I like is 2 seater with wooden legs.
  • Jen Osborne
    7 years ago

That mirror is much better! Make sure you hang it no higher than the top of the windows and add some tallish items on each side to fill the 'gaps' . Three is always best!

Love the ikea couches, both of them ! You on the right track :)

• philippawright
    7 years ago

Hi,

back for a second comment- I dont think you should put anything above the fireplace other than a piece of glassware or a vase.

Wait until you decide on your accent colour- for cushions etc and use that as an inspiration or you could let the piece inspire the rest of the room. It could have some texture - Freedom often have a pretty good range of this type of thing. Not sure of their current stock but it can also be returned if it doesn't look right. You may find it is best to cluster two or three pieces of varying height. but not too match and maybe some old and some new.

I think you should go with wooden legs for your couch and like the idea of rust. I have a sofa in this hue and it works well with dark teal and blue greys.

You are on the right track.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks you so much for your comments ladies.
  • strawberry47
    7 years ago
    Really like most of this room. When choosing your new cushions draw out the colours from the prints/paintings. Agree with other comments that the dark green lounge doesn't work with the classic look of your other chairs. West elm and pottery barn have some great sofas. Please post progress photos.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks strawberry47, it may take some time before it is done but I will be happy to post the pics.
  • Nora Giulia
    7 years ago
    When you have this conflict, it usually depends on pillows, art, rugs, curtains/shades, and small decor pieces to give the pop that you desire. Try to not add more browns, grays, blacks, and dark greens. With the furniture you have, I suggest light pinks and bright greens. Maybe reds if pink is too much for you.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Houzzers, waiting on new lounge furniture. I chose the 2 seater Opera sofa from King Living in grey leather, 2 tub chairs on little legs in Amythest fabric and a small recliner with footstool in pale grey fabric. I am just so drawn to muted colours, must be in my DNA. However I really cannot remember the colour of the chairs, I think they are brighter than the cushion.
    I dug the artwork from under my bed and think the mustard looks good with grey and amythest. The greyhound statue has a mustard collar. I have a combination of colours on the chair for which I would welcome feedback. Mustard throw, amythest/grey cushion, mist green throw and soft pink. I am thinking of 2 small round mustard poufs which I will use as coffee tables. I need to move glass top coffee table as it is too dangerous with 15 MO grandson.
    Any other suggestions re colours are welcome. Thanks in anticipation.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Don't know why the other pics won't open? Trying again.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    I hope you stil have that large mirror, it would look great above the black sofa , or any sofa that you may have in that spot. I am not fond of ceramic animals and with toddlers around you are asking for trouble, sell it if you are not emotionally attached.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes Oskuee the large mirror will go above my new grey leather couch, when I get it.
    I only have the statue because I love greyhounds and I own one. My greyhound sniffs it when I move it to another position which I find amusing.
    What do you think of the colours?
  • Judy Bumbles
    7 years ago
    I think you have a lovely room there. The windows are gorgeous. I think your mirror should be turned up the other way as it is too wide for the fire place. I think your TV console doesn't go in the room, you need something more classical. Maybe bring a Persian rug with some reds in it would certainly brighten that lovely room
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

I like the colors except pink. But that's just me hot pink would be nicer with grey and greens.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Judy Bumbles. I have removed the mirror completely and it will go on adjacent wall above my new sofa, which will be delivered end of month. You are looking at the old part of the post. If you go to end of the post you will see that I am thinking of putting artwork, pictured, between windows and using the colours on the chair, pictured, as accents.
    My room is currently devoid of furniture as I am awaiting new stuff.
    I agree with your comment re console but I am hoping the new, lighter furniture will make it look better. Cannot afford to replace console or rug at this stage.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Oskuee, I am really trying to work with the mustard to tie in with the art. Do you think hot pink would go ok with mustard?
  • philippawright
    7 years ago

I like the lavender , mustard and soft grey, beiges - I would avoid pink and white.

How exciting - I wouldn't decide the finishing touches until you have the new furniture. Make sure things can be returned if they are not right. I am sure you will enjoy having more light and space in the room.

All the best

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Many thanks phillipawright. I was driving myself crazy with what to put above the fireplace and think the art looks ok and is good size. I am glad you like the 3 colours you chose as the pink is from the bedroom (where it belongs really).
    No I don't intend to get anything else, will just have to wait for furniture and then decide.
    No doubt I will be bugging Houzzers for their opinions once more.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Houzzers, I thought I would show you how my living room is going. I invested in smaller furniture and have yet to hang the big mirror behind the sofa.
    I am going to paint the fireplace surround. What colour do you think? Grey, mustard, blue or any other colour?

Thank you in anticipation.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A couple more pics.

• Luke Buckle
    7 years ago

So many good comments and your room is looking much more coordinated.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Luke.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    A very pleasant room. Well done. I'll leave others to comment on fireplace surround colour.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

Your purple and yellow is quite bright. Not sure about the blue.

But I love this lime green it would go magnificently

• misslizzie21
    7 years ago
    I'm thinking mustard would be stunning for the fireplace surround. Well done, it looks great,
    there's fantastic advice here and you've taken all this to produce a really lovely room.
  • Julie Walton
    7 years ago
    Floor rug needs the impact (one colour pow!) along with cushions. Try the nick naks altogether on a tray rather than spread around. Food for thought, maybe.
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much for responding Houzzers.

The cushions do look bright in the pic, but they're actually mustard as is the ottoman, throw and also in the cushions. I did try lime green in the room but was a bit reluctant to add another colour although it does look good against the purple especially.

My plan is to get a smaller, more colourful rug and layer it over the big one. I purchased the cement trivets that are on the console because they are heavy enough to act as trays on the ottomans.

As there is a bit of pale mustard in the horse art I may go for mustard for the fireplace. I will get a sample pot first though.
    Thank you all for your contributions. I am much happier in my space now as I have more room and no hard pointy edged coffee table to injure my grandchildren.

Happy Houzzing.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

I think you have enough mustard color in there , live with it for a while, I don't think you need anything else and specialy not small rug to trip over.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Good point about the rug Oskuee, thanks. I had started to paint the fireplace the same colour as feature wall but the colour is too light. I will try different colours.
  • User
    7 years ago

Wow 94236633, you have done so much in only a few months! The space is looking great. Definitely less crowded and more light and texture to it. Enjoy your new space!

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Try to match fire place colour to your grey sofa. If I was being really fussy I would go for round plant pots since you have lots of angles already in the furniture and art.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Nicole and Oskuee, always good to receive feedback. Good idea Oskuee re colour, thanks.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

I like your Horse head painting and I know people hang it just like that frameless, but in some places it just isn't enough and I think your painting would look really stylish with a nice simple frame , maybe in one of the colours to match the horse. It's just my opinion, I like frames.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    I did ponder on that Oskuee but in the end after discussing with the artist, in America, felt it stood out more without a frame.
    Thanks for your input though.