Houzz Logo Print
mirey_lopez

Advice on coffee table

M L
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are moving into a converted church, very exciting but also intimidating from a design perspective! It's simple not too traditional (no stained glass windows or arches, but large open living/dining/kitchen area, gold roses in the ceilings, modern kitchen, light wooden floors, white walls).

We want to create a conversational area in the living room with two opposing sofas. We have the West Elm axle sofas and a blue-ish rug similar to the photo - we love the clean, simple lines that we thought would not overshadow the rest of our decorations / wall hangings collected in our travels. So it's a bit of a mixture of modern with pops of tribal (African, SE Asian, etc) colorful, eclectic treasures.

We also love raw wood like things like these stumpies and are fans of Scandinavian simplicity and occasional harshness of industrial.

We don't know what to do about a coffee table given the mishmash of our treasures and possibly conflicting favourite design. I don't want to go with marble, glass top, mid-century or too modern because the sofas float already and we have so much open space. I'm not sure if introducing anything heavy or a different wood would work, but I like the idea of something different. I've also read that if you don't get a coffee table large enough then having two opposing sofas will feel like a hotel lobby. Our other furniture is all mostly mango wood like these pieces but in the natural mango wood finish (these are all darker):

Any recommendations?

Mirey

Comments (14)