Houzz Logo Print
iggs85

Flooring regrets: how do I make the most of it now?

Iggs
7 years ago
I've just had a spotted gum looselay vinyl floor installed and I don't like it - it looks much darker than expected and a bit too red :( especially in contrast to walla and carpet.

I feel I made a mistake in choosing it'll, but I need to move on. Wondering what I can do to make the most of it? I was aiming for a contemporary scandi sort of style.

Thanks!

Comments (41)

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    I like it. The vertical blinds not so much. You'll need to be careful what tone wood you choose for furnishings but the vinyl colour is a good base. PS Scandi is out, Japandi is in!
  • Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks bigreader you are giving me hope.

What timber tones do you recommend? I've already got some natural oak cabinetry and furniture.

And tell me more about Japandi! :)
  • Related Discussions

How do I make the most of this bedroom ceiling?

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks for these great ideas. The quilting in the sofa would be a great reflection of the ceiling. I love the Japanese screen on the Living Room wall. Would something like that need a more opulent frame as suggested by AMN. The current curtains are quite a rich Thai silk fabric in a bronze colour. They seem a bit dark for the ceiling. I prefer carpet in the bedroom for warmth underfoot in winter. What colour would work with this scheme? Should we go lighter to brighten the room or darker?
    ...See More

How do I make my new house look like a finished, cosy home?

Q

Comments (63)
    Hi, your home looks pretty good, you have done a lot on the interiors. Coming back to the question, yes, you can add a wallpaper behind the television, go for a textured wallpaper as it will create a compliment to your television. As you have decorated with wooden elements, you can go with a bookshelf on the wall. And, there is one more thing which will be a simple addition but will look perfect and that is an antique wall clock. An antique wall clock will make your wall look great without any fuss.
    ...See More

Vinyl floor for the whole house-anyone done it before and any regrets?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks LesleyH. It's music to my ears since our place is on concrete. Of all the houses listed on Domain, I'm yet to come across one with vinyl flooring for whole house or most part of the house, so it's still bugging me a little. Went into carpet court last weekend they use vinyl display on their own shop floor and there are a lot of gaps between vinyl planks, which doesn't look enticing. The salesperson explained this is due to poor floor prep and the site is prone to water issue, which as tenant they can't fix. Certainly not a good look to convince potential buyer.
    ...See More

Who has a black kitchen – do you love it or regret it?

Q

Comments (58)
    Go with your gut Tracy..... it is a big investment but I have found that if it makes you smile every time you walk into your kitchen you'll never regret it!!!! I've recently moved into a smaller downsized home with my 3rd black kitchen, with drawers, no cupboards, except for the pantry which we use as the crockery and wine glasses stash. Mine is matt but no handles = no hip bangers! I chose to use snow white stone bench tops, the walls are painted natural white while the floors are pale oak hybrid vinyl.
    ...See More
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    It's fine you are overthinking it, just get a rug for dining area to sort of go with the carpet similar tones and as for timber furniture, well the trees are all growing happily together in the forest, mix and match as you please it's your house.
  • how2girl
    7 years ago
    Once you get your furniture & other decoration in the room you won't notice it so much. You're focused on it now because it's new & there's nothing else to distract the eye.
    7 years ago
    I like it too, especially against white kitchen.
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    Japandi - The pared-back aesthetics of Japanese and Scandinavian design have come together in a union of inviting simplicity. Timbers are either pale or dark with blue-based undertones, which perfectly complement monochrome accessories. Accents of smoky greys and blues fade to minty, sage greens and are offset by the occasional wisp of iced pink. Drawing on the characteristics of wabi-sabi – the Japanese principle of finding beauty in imperfections – and melding them with the warmth of Scandinavian style delivers a soulful look that’s simple, light and playful. Courtesy of Home Beautiful.
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    Your natural oak cabinetry sounds like a good match and I'd stay in those tones for furniture.
  • jmm1837
    7 years ago

Nothing wrong with the floor. I've had Scandinavian furniture since before it was popular, and it's much more about simple lines than about colour.

In my last house, I had my 80s Danish furniture sitting on genuine spotted gum hardwood - all it needed was a few rugs here and there to break things up a bit. I like oriental carpets so that's what worked for me. Oh, and I had roller blinds, definitely not verticals. Chill out, get a few area rugs, some new blinds, and all will be well.

• Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the assurance and advice everyone. It's actually made me feel a lot more optimistic.

The blinds are definitely going. I'll be replacing with a neutral roller blind (torn between beige or grey for those ones)

Any other pieces of advice is much appreciated!
  • annb1997
    7 years ago

Grey blinds seem good choice. Your carpet is grey, is that correct? It's looking good...keep going!

• wuff
    7 years ago
    I like the look, it gives some warmth, I am not a big fan of scandi as in all white scandi. Area rugs and furniture make a huge difference as other posters have posted.
  • haephestus
    7 years ago

I think it's fine. Once you have some furniture in place, art on the walls and all the other bits and pieces to distract the eye, you will probably barely notice the floor.

• legendaryflame
    7 years ago
    I love your flooring choice! looks great to me!
  • kkholland77
    7 years ago

Love the floors! They look great. The blinds need to go though!! Once you have furnished the rooms, put in some injections of cookie from tea towels and fruit bowls in the kitchen, to some fabulous rugs on the floors, it will look amazing, no matter what your style. I can recommend Milan direct (online store) for great furniture and rugs. Hope that helps.

• JE C
    7 years ago

I think it's fine, maybe one of those round sisal/seagrass/something similar rugs would give some colour contrast and a more casual look and could tie in with some paler coloured woods. I agree that when you have pictures up etc you will be less focused on the floor - don't worry !

• Dounia
    7 years ago

Looks really nice! I would have thought it was real wood if you didn't say anything :) Get some lighter coloured furniture and some rugs and it will be great.

• Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to styling the space actually, you have all given me hope - just hoping my woods match!

I would love a dining room rug, but just don't see how that is practical with 3 small kids! Anyone have experience with this? our current dining room is carpeted and cleaning up is such a hassle

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    7 years ago

Sometimes when you look at the colour with nothing on it, it can really stand out and feel very bold so once you put a rug,furniture, a plant or so on it you will see thats its not that bad.It is true scandi has had its day now so try to use the warmth of this colour floor as it is rich and may suprise you how amazing and luxurious you can make it look. good luck with it all.

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    7 years ago

Lggs i just seen your post, i have had 7 children (mostly grown up now) and a rug saved us. I would buy one and just get rid of it when it got ratty and buy a new one which also freshened up the area.

• Maureen Hoy
    7 years ago
    Flooring looks good and a big plus is any design will go with it. A grey blind would look good. Without seeing the whole house and depending what type of furniture you choose I would possibly go a shutter with wide thin blades if budget allowed, however, with young children shutters could be a problem.
  • Julie Mcnamara
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's lovely Looks great against the white. I'm thinking of doing a similar floor and have a white kitchen.

• denisreno
    7 years ago

I think it's fine too and once you get all your furniture in, as it doesn't look like that's all there yet, you probably won't notice it so much, but it seems fine to me and a nice contrast with the carpet and blinds.

• Sharon Dransfield
    7 years ago

I have picked things and decided I don't like them. Sorry, to say the longer I stay in a house the more I dislike the incorrect choice. Maybe you could sell it on ebay and get the floor you want. The problem is you pick from little sample and then when there is a whole floor it looks darker, redder etc. If you can afford it take the financial hit. It is a mistake to buy more things to make yourself like it. Alternatively, let the kids wreck it and think I hated it anyway.

• Leeslise
    7 years ago

I recommend hiring a tradie to make the breezeway/room divider stop at the point where the carpet meets the lino - that would give you a more open feel and stop that confused line between carpet and lino.

• Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sharon thanks for your honest opinion. I haven't actually seen it in person yet (I'm interstate and moving in 2 weeks to this house) so just going on photos people have sent. I'm hoping in person it actually looks like the sample I chose
  • Dounia
    7 years ago

We had a dining room rug and I have 3 kids. Was a disaster.. just too gross and too much cleaning! Much better and easier on all of us without the rug :)

• drtoniad14
    7 years ago
    I like it too. There is quite a contrast between the warmth of the wood and the cool grey of the carpet that seems a bit jarring. Some sort of division there would be good.
    I think you will love it. Perhaps consider a carpet that complements it instead of hiding it under rugs.
    Good luck.
  • Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm definitely leaning towards no rug for practicality reasons but I think it would really anchor the space

The carpet is new actually so won't be replacing it. I do agree the transition is a bit 'jarring' which was part of why I disliked it in the first place. Don't want to divide the space but hoping with furnishings/decor I can tie the colors together more cohesive lyrics. Any other thoughts on this welcome. Thanks!
  • User
    7 years ago

I love it!

We did a similar thing here - maybe even the same 'timber', except in our bedrooms upstairs - tore up truly hideous old carpet for a pet-friendly, child-friendly, low allergy, low maintenance, relatively eco-friendly, quiet underfoot, alternative.

If your budget stretches, would you consider pulling up your carpet in those downstairs spaces, and continuing this flooring? It's so versatile for styling, and *so* easy to live with.

• annb1997
    7 years ago

Hi. I think the addition of artwork and placement of just the right pieces of furniture against those walls that adjoin the two types of floor covering will blend all of the materials really well. As you begin decorating, your eyes will be drawn upward and you will begin to appreciate all of the elements that make up the overall design. Take your time, experiment and keep/choose only those things you absolutely love. Please continue to post updates so we can 'see' how it's going and offer any help along the way. Hope your move goes well. Cheers!

• Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice annb! I've got lots of ideas in my head so hoping it all comes together OK :)
  • PRO
    Cordony Group
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Rugs are great as they can inject personality and define different zones in open plan living spaces. They’re a simple way to create impact and refresh a space immediately. This Natural Fibre (Seagrass) rug is water resistant, stylish and practical. I think it would look great with the floors & especially if you are going for that Japandi look bigreader mentioned!

Keep us updated on the progress.

Stafford Road, Artarmon · More Info

• Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Got some more pictures. Do you think the oak cabinetry and the floors look too mismatched? Anything I can do to help the cohesiveness of it all?
  • girlguides
    7 years ago
    I think it will all be fine - live with it all for a year and if really grates on you please repost and we will all see what can be done. Personally I don't like rugs except in halls and lounges
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

Only thing that really sticks out in that photo are the stickers on the fridge, remove them, everything else is good. Enjoy your house.

• annb1997
    7 years ago

Oh wow, I really like it! I think it is a good contrast. The cabinets are beautiful, as is the splash back. Nice new fridge too! :)

• Iggs
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I need to be reminded to not get caught up with every little thing I deem as 'imperfect'. It is a blessing to have a new place and I should be more thankful for all the nice aspects of the house! :) looking forward to see what I can do with the decorating
  • annb1997
    7 years ago

AND what a beautiful benchtop. You asked about cohesiveness, and I know what you mean and I understand how you would be concerned because it's all new and it's easy to doubt yourself...but, here's something to think about: look at a handwoven basket, made using natural materials and take note of the different shades of colour/hue. There is variation in hue and texture, and to my mind, that's exactly what makes it unique and interesting and beautiful. :)

• carolohara
    7 years ago

Honestly I think the floor looks good, agree a rug and new blinds will make a huge difference, I have similar flooring and its brilliant, so easy to care for and always looks spot on. I am sure once you select a rug you will start to enjoy the look of your floor. Dont fret it really does look great.

• millthumpian
    7 years ago

Changing flooring in open plan is always a difficult challenge and the light carpet is the bigger problem because of the contrast cutting up the pure Scandi vibe. Pure white kitchens are always cool looking I think you have 3 kids and your kitchen will warm up when you get the coffee machine, kettle, chopping boards wooden looking accessories in there and on the bench topwith a couple of green plants, fake or not. Take a trip to Ikea or browse their catalogue and website - their stylists are a great inspiration. You don't have to get your stuff from there but they are very clever at layering. When we go we always take a camera for those little touches which makes scandi look so clean and fresh. Invariably when I get home I have something similar I can repurpose. Dump the office vertical blinds I agree! they have to be the ugliest thing ever invented. If privacy is not an issue leave the window bare. And what's with the 1980s old fashioned security screen across the kitchen window? No Scandi ever had wiggly diamond flyscreens! Loose that too. Whoops that sounds a bit harsh :-)

Funny thing about living somewhere is - after a few weeks you won't even notice, I have lived with the same damask wallpaper in the hallway for the last 30 years - its back in fashion again. I spend all of 10 seconds walking down that hallway, I think everything gets a bit precious when it comes to picking things all at once, better to let the space evolve as you live in it.