Houzz Logo Print
day_liv

Aluminium windows with timber look

day_liv
7 years ago
Planning to build a Hamptons-style home and the look has lovely thick timber framed windows. To save costs considering aluminium windows and sliding doors. Any brands with the look and thickness of timber? Ground level rendered, first floor weatherboard. Thanks!

Comments (26)

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    You can add wood trim to the exterior around the frames to bulk them up.
    day_liv thanked bigreader
  • Related Discussions

Best choice: use of timber or aluminium for large doors

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey Bill, what decision did you arrive at for these doors? Would love to see some pictures!
    ...See More

Changing Timber Windows to Aluminium

Q

Comments (9)
    Firstly to replace a timber window with aluminium isn't necessarily a good move. The existing windows are probably around 40+ years old so have done a great job so far. While maintenance is required by oiling and/or painting they still have lasted quite well. 40+ is a long time exposed to the elements. Timber performs thermally much better than an aluminium frame. Even the modern thermally broken frames are probably only line ball at best with timber. Repainting a timber window is easier than changing colour on an aluminium one. So far changing to aluminium there is not really any obvious advantage...... The advantage with standard aluminium is really only the cost to purchase, yet a thermally broken is quite expensive...... I regularly change aluminium windows back to timber on many renovations due to the poor quality of the older aluminium frames and timber looks so darn good. Use timber windows with a high quality glass such as Low E, Laminated or double glazing. This will suit the house and perform a lot better. I personally like the existing frame and configurations so would probably only upgrade the glass with a high performance version.
    ...See More

What colour Aluminium Windows? Changing from timber.

Q

Comments (1)
    I think Charcoal would be lovely!
    ...See More

New 25mm Timber-Look Aluminium Battens

Q

Comments (0)
    DECO Australia’s newest DecoBatten series may be small, but it is guaranteed to make a big impact. From feature walls and ceilings to a reception showcase, the miniature 25mm aluminium DecoBatten designer series offers flexibility and freedom to create showstopping designs, no matter the project. Super light-weight and with no visible fixings thanks to DECO’s unique ‘Quick Click’ two-piece batten system, the 25mm slimline battens can be positioned vertically, horizontally or at any angle on any flat surface, allowing homeowners to incorporate bold and unique pattens into their home designs. As with all DecoBatten products, the ‘25mm Designer Series’ is made from 100% solid aluminium and finished in DECO’s Super Durable™ powder coating technology, allowing designers to also choose their own personalised look from a selection of over 150 DecoWood® timber grain colours or from a range of plain, concrete, marble or rust finishes for a truly unique design. Available in three batten cover sizes – 25mm, 50mm and 75mm – and a standard 25mm base, the Designer Series boasts DecoBatten’s two-piece ‘Quick Click’ system and 6.5 metre lengths to ensure quick and seamless installation and, most importantly, minimal wastage. DecoBatten has been deemed a non-combustible product by the CSIRO and offers a fire-safe option for internal and external applications including façades, feature walls and ceilings. DecoBatten has also been tested and certified to Australian Standards AS1530.1 and AS1530.3. For more information on DecoBatten products and the new DecoBatten ‘25mm Designer Series’, please visit www.deco.net.au or call 02 9603 1888.
    ...See More
  • day_liv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Has anyone used Vantage Magnum aluminium windows (see photo)? Is the cost difference between these and timber windows substantial? I'm reading it is better to get thermally broken aluminium windows for energy efficiency (while timber is already quite efficient) so is the cost difference still worth going with aluminium?

• annb1997
    7 years ago

Hi. I suggest you ask builder to quote both types of window (timber and aluminium), but you need to specify the energy efficiency you are wanting, so you can make a better comparison. I have to believe there are varying degrees of energy efficiency in timber windows, same as there are in aluminium. In my house, there are thermally-broken, commercial aluminium windows and doors throughout and I am very satisfied with them. I hope this helps. :)

day_liv thanked annb1997
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Vantage windows are of superior quality so you can't go wrong with them.
    day_liv thanked LesleyH
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Quality of windows and glazing vary significantly.

annb1997 is correct with stating that you need to know the energy efficiency (U-Value, SHGC, etc.) you're wanting first. The performance of one timber window can be quite different to another and same again with aluminium. Then you add the glazing into it all.... again theres a many to choose from......

LesleyH is correct, Vantage (& AWS) are of superior quality.

I'd get the design done and work it out from there. In NSW we usually use BASIX which is an energy efficiency process. There are others that can be used as well such as NATHERS. Being in a bushfire prone area may also influence the window choices.

If you want timber looking window's maybe use timber?

If you want to save money save it elsewhere as windows are an important part of the structural build, actually they are now one of the most important aspects of design and energy efficiency.

day_liv thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • User
    7 years ago

We've just finished a build with AWS/Vantage commercial aluminium windows (white), specifically because we needed them to look like timber. They are not your standard aluminium window, very chunky and you can not compare the quality to Stegbar/the-like. I agree with MB Design- try and save some money elsewhere.

day_liv thanked User
  • day_liv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your comments. My heart wants timber windows for our knock-down/rebuild but because we have a strict budget, I just want to look at all the options and of course save costs where possible seeing as so many factors of the total build need to be taken into consideration. Advice on cost-saving options will be appreciated! The other dilemma is timber flooring - solid or engineered? We live in Sydney by the coast and have allergies so def some sort of timber flooring is required.

• annb1997
    7 years ago

I certainly appreciate your reason for looking at cost-savings opportunities with a new build. May I ask if you are owner-building or will you hire a builder? And, do you already have building plans drawn?

day_liv thanked annb1997
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Solid timber floors are always a great asset. Australian hardwood is the best. Cypress Pine if you want a cheaper option. Could be stained/lime washed perhaps?

Most builds are built to strict budgets even $1m+ builds have budget constraints. Building a smaller dwelling is the best place to start to save money. Spent your money on higher ceiling heights (2.7 - 3.0 metres), good windows and doors, good insulation and quality workmanship, etc. Avoid sparkles and bling, buy classic fit out pieces that won't be unfashionable next month.

• annb1997
    7 years ago

I don't know if hearing about others' experiences will provide you with ideas or options, but in our new build the plans were put out to tender to quite a few local builders. Oddly, only about five showed any sincere interest and another wanted to know how many builders were tendering quotes in order to gauge what his chances were of actually winning the job versus the amount of time he would have to put into the tender (I understand his position, but still...). The builder we selected was the one who judged it worth his time to look at every possible cost-saving element, and the single-most impressive cost savings was in his re-design of the roof. I hope this is helpful to you

day_liv thanked annb1997
  • day_liv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

All your comments certainly help. We are in the process of discussing the build with a design/construction company that has a good reputation. Based on our budget they are preparing plans from a design we like. The builder said that the house size/floor plan we want is doable for our budget but stated solid hardwood floors and timber windows will blow it out (i.e. engineered floors and aluminium windows will reduce costs). The final build cost and specs are still to be finalised by them so we are weighing our options re flooring and windows as ideally we would like hardwood floors and timber windows but may have to compromise on one of these or both. We are not building a large dwelling and have specified high ceilings as a priority (2.7m). Our main aim is to have a house with longevity in its fittings and fixtures and energy efficiency but it seems that to achieve this costs $$$ and we can see how easily a budget can blow out.

• annb1997
    7 years ago

I hear you! We did it slightly differently as in seperate design team to builder, so in that regard the benefit was in seeing where the differences in cost were in the various quotes. (This is our last house and we are mostly retired.) I love high ceilings too, esp in a smaller house as it gives a spacious feeling. I don't know about engineered flooring on the scale of whole house. So, I take it you will you be on piers as you want timber flooring?

Does your block have any special excavation required?

It sounds like you are looking closely at things. What about the insulation? Is there potential to improve/increase it AND offset your running costs in future? on that note, how will you heat and cool the house?

Details like door knobs, drawer handles, door stops, electrical fittings are worth scrutinising to be sure you know exactly what you are getting, and if you want a different brand or something different, discuss up front until you are satisfied, because variations after the contract is signed sure do add up and can delay the build.

day_liv thanked annb1997
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    I think you can achieve the timber look with a wider framed aluminium window in a casement, double hung or awning style which are more traditional looking. Would you consider carpeting all bedrooms and putting hardwood flooring to living areas as a budget compromise?
    day_liv thanked LesleyH
  • day_liv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm assuming in a new build insulation will be within the walls and roof, right? Plan to install ducted heating/air con throughout so definitely want adequate insulation. I can see there is still so much research to do. We are allergy sufferers so no carpet either. If I have to choose between hardwood flooring and timber windows - the flooring will be it. Is it possible to source some of the fittings and fixtures yourself to eliminate builder's markup - or do they not take that very well? Will make sure everything is decided as much as possible up front to avoid delays and extra costs.

• annb1997
    7 years ago

Oh, and is solar being considered in the outset, or maybe later on?

• annb1997
    7 years ago

Yes, insulation is part of build. I was just thinking about your interest in energy efficiency. Insulation has an R-factor and it can vary depending on where it's being placed (roof, walls). Here in Victoria, all new homes have to be built to a minimum 6 star energy rating. I was just looking at NSW and it looks like thus far, that is not a requirement there (pls correct me if I'm wrong). My husband calculated that it cost us approx $50,000 to get to the minimum 6 star rating, and we will never realise that amount in any energy savings. More or higher R-factor insulation in roof and walls (and floors in your case if you are on piers) is one way to improve energy efficiency. You would have to do the calculations to determine if a particular timber window is equal to or better than a particular aluminium one, and vice versa. It is not an easy process, but maybe it would be worthwhile for you.

day_liv thanked annb1997
  • day_liv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So when the building company reopens for the year, I have lots to discuss! The energy efficiency of timber vs aluminium windows and the cost difference, if there is one, will influence our decision. I'm more concerned with heating as we get lovely ocean breezes in summer and don't use air con that much. Our block will require a concrete slab to support a 2nd floor balcony and then piers for the flooring I believe.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    In regard to windows it is more often the gaps and single glazing that cause the most ineffi6cuency. You need to weigh up cost and maintenance of timber windows to the actual benifit of timber frames. Is it only a marginal benefit in the total build?
    day_liv thanked LesleyH
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

NSW is also min 6 star. We use NSW planning's on line program called BASIX. NATHERS and other programs can be used as well but BASIX is quite good as it gives a minimum requirements only. Upgraded insulation for example could be requested to be included in the construction.

BASIX will spit out the minimum requirements for windows, insulation, tapware, etc to achieve SIX stars.

Insulation for external walls, roof and slab edge is only considered using BASIX. The garage wall if internal may require insulation as per BASIX. Remaining internal wall insulation isn't considered however.

Be wary of some window manufacturers as the aluminium frames are so crap that they may need to use double glazing to achieve the required U-Value's/SHGC/etc where better quality aluminium frames only need single glazing.....

• User
    7 years ago

The cost blow outs with windows can occur when you have non-standard sizes (especially heights). If you can manage to keep windows and doors standard sizes, you might find commercial aluminium prices comparable to timber.

The maintenance of timber colonial bar windows, plus ocean environment....aargh!

day_liv thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Also, you should do some research into alternate heating options. Especially if you are having a ground floor slab. Look into hydronic heating and thermal mass. Ducted air con is not your only option, especially if you say you don't need it for the cooling.

We didn't have the slab size to support hydronic unfortunately, we have put in electric floor cable instead that will run on off-peak only. We hope our new thicker glass and better insulation will take care of the rest. Will top up with a gas heater if needed.

day_liv thanked User
  • annb1997
    7 years ago

About your question about sourcing some of your own internal fittings. It is best you discuss this with the builder early on. Usually, the builder's contract will specify an allowance for particular fixtures. However, some may specify actual brand and model of fittings ie taps, toilets, sinks, etc in their quote, and they may or may not allow you to vary this. IF you are happy with those specified fixtures and you think the allowance amount is reasonable, then you can go with it. Otherwise, any changes or variances need to be discussed with builder, and it is very important this be discussed upfront and before any contract is signed. Some building contracts may also disallow some variances. In any event, carefully read the contract so you completely understand what you are agreeing to, and discuss any and all parts where you are not in agreement so these issues can be ironed out. Also, and this is my own experience and opinion, but I advise specifying in the contract the completion date AND if the build is not completed on time then what happens (consider that you may be paying interest on your mortgage, be financing a bridging mortgage, etc. and/or you may also have already sold your home and then have to pay rent until the build is finished).

If you are in agreement with builder to source some of the internal fittings yourself, there are any number of suppliers and sources to investigate, and this might be a good way to keep your budget in check. There will be Houzzers who are experienced at this and can provide you with ideas. Just keep in mind that you will have to have all fittings READY and ON SITE when the tradesmen require them, otherwise you will be holding up the build and that is going to cost YOU money.

day_liv thanked annb1997
  • User
    7 years ago

We bought all our own fixtures and they were omitted from the contract. The builder allowed for labour to install only. I had a year to shop sales, so was able to pick up fixtures at reduced prices. Storage did become an issue (toilets take up lots of space!!), Winnings were great and held onto all our kitchen appliances right up until we needed them.

I'll warn- this was a massive task. Exhausting. Before I even started I made sure I had a very clear picture of what I was trying to achieve. Houzz was great for that. Plumbing, lighting, tile shops can be totally overwhelming if you don't have a picture in your head. Thanks to Houzz....my tile shop for 3 bathrooms took 30mins!

day_liv thanked User
  • day_liv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Annb and Mel N - I would like to source my own fittings and fixtures as much as possible as I have a good idea what I want already and I will discuss this with the building company. I'm fairly organised and love to haggle and feel buying the fittings and fixtures is one way I can save on the build and not feel I am totally compromising. I can store items at family members' homes. We will def look at the contract carefully and make sure a completion date is specified. Houzz and the people offering advice here are a godsend when learning about this whole process!

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Have to emphasise annb's point above - you must must must have all your fittings well ahead of time. Not just picked out but purchased and ready to go. That way you're ready when the cabinet maker needs the exact measurements for the oven, or the plumber comes early or a myriad of other scheduling things change.
    day_liv thanked bigreader