Houzz Logo Print
thepeachtree

What do you think of compact laundries?

thepeachtree
7 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I feel like a whole room devoted to a washer and dryer isn't the best use of space. I'd be happy to have a cupboard laundry or a laundry in the garage but how do others feel especially from a resale perspective? I'm thinking stacked f/loader washer and dryer like I have now, tub with cupboard above and below and some bench space. Examples below.

Comments (63)

• Vy
    7 years ago

Ros yours is like ours . Except we have 4 doors so 2 cupboards on the linen side and an overhead over the trough as well as under . So it's a bit wider than yours

• solveiggillis
    7 years ago
    I think a small laundry/ cupboard arrangement is fine but you need to be careful where you locate it. Friends had one near the front door and on wash days you had to step over piles of sorted washing to get into the house - not a good look!

We have had a combined bathroom laundry and this worked really well, especially when you came in grubby from the garden. Jump into the shower and stuff your dirty clothes straight into the washing machine.
  • Related Discussions

What do you think of these products, do you have them here?

Q

Comments (1)
    Quite nice. I think the green balances the red.
    ...See More

What do you think of this floor plan for a new build?

Q

Comments (103)
    When I first wrote in August 2017 we got a lot of great suggestions and comments. At the time we had accepted the limitations of the block (easements, tree, solar access etc). It is now one year later and I can tell you we found a way to move the garage to the south-west corner. This allowed us to move Beds 2 and 3 and the bathroom to the northern side. Pantry and laundry between garage and kitchen/living/dining. I think it was all of the comments and suggestions that encouraged us to look at it again from different angles, rather than just accepting the limitations. Thanks to everyone for their generosity! The solution involved working around a lovely tree (it is nice, just in the wrong spot). It is still in the way (council said we couldn't remove it) but we've opted for a long, curving driveway that starts on the other side of the block and weaves its way around the treeline to the garage entry. Not ideal, because a large portion of the front setback will now be a hard surface, instead of a garden. But if there is one thing that designing teaches you - its all about compromises. Thanks everyone. MB Design & Drafting Shara C Nik Star girlguides oklouise siriuskey genkii saragraham76 Andy Pat brizcs Mel N 3D Home Concepts suancol Caro
    ...See More

What do you think of this laundry design?

Q

Comments (25)
    Hi AndrewJason, Again! :) Depending how many people in your home. Do you have other linen store somewhere else in the home? If so I would consider going with the linen hall cupboard in the laundry for tall things, then using the full length of the wall for the bench, units under at the outside door end, and put the sink nearer to hall door: think about the order in which you would usually use these things. Dirties in from the kids rooms and the bathroom, rinse, soak, hand wash, WM, TD if you need to, out the door to the "rotary or linear, unit for air movement and solar assisted moisture removal with appendages and wiring" ! When it has achieved its optimal, goods are brought in and bench is used for folding and stacking. The shirt rail under the overhead cupboards are brilliant! As are rails along the other walls for towels in use or pool towels, airing, finish drying etc. My preference would be to move the hall and outside doors to the center of their walls so you have two sides of "U" with walkway between down the center of the room, for cupboards, benches etc between the full length of the room. Go on knock out those bricks!!! Even with the loo door on the right hand wall the space would be very helpful. Hope this is helpful. Cheers, Margot
    ...See More

What do you think of our bathroom and kitchen ideas?

Q

Comments (24)
    And to answer your question siriuskey. Yes the front room has been opened out into a verendah. This room got really hot in summer so wasn’t working as another living space. We’re restricted to what we can change at the front of the house as we are in a heritage area. We can make changes without a DA if we don’t change the front of the house. Agree we can change a lot with a wooden house, but I think we’ll be restricted on reusing windows. All our casement windows are original glass from the 1930s so won’t be to modern building code. If we move them, they’re gone. However replacing with modern glass would bring more light into the home. We’ve put fans in all rooms and always have the French doors open in bed 2 so light and ventilation haven’t been an issue. Might become so if we put a moody teenager in there though!
    ...See More
  • Ros Tovey
    7 years ago
    I have everything I need in my walk through launders behind bifold doors. To the left there is a cupboard that holds brooms, ironing board iron and associated items with two large storage shelves above. Then, behind two bifolds are located linens and two large drawers for sorted washing. On the right is the "wet" area with stacked washer and drier, sink and more storage shelves and cabinet under the sink for cleaning and washing products. The laundry basket fits neatly in the sink when not in use. I think this is a strong selling feature rather than a negative.
  • paulasiddle
    7 years ago

I spend more time in my laundry than I do my theatre room! I love having the space for dirty clothes hamper *nb family, please use this instead of floor. Also a bench top for sorting clean washing plus storing all relevant laundry baskets, buckets, mops etc. If you have the space in a largish house, a laundry is an essential. Apartment living is completely different - I have never done this so really can't comment. I would struggle without a proper laundry.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

If you have space it's best to have a separate laundry room especially with access to the outdoors (Mud room) which can also have a shower and toilet, this is great for Tradie husbands and children. There was a time when we had a laundry in a cupboard, just need to make sure you can fit a normal clothes basket, (ironing boards brooms etc need their own cupboard. To help with this the kids all had a Freedom clothes basket on wheels in their rooms to take their dirty laundry and then sheets, these were wheeled to the laundry, the washing done and then refilled with the clean laundry to be wheeled back to their rooms. I gave up ironing things until they were actually needed this saved a lot of time with those that put things on for 5 mins and disgarded them back onto the floor or basket..

• Iris Spittle
    7 years ago
    I've just left my lovely larger laundry, it can be a great storage area too with space and handy bench space.. Now I'm wrestling with how to fit out a very small laundry, I didn't realise on the plan how absurdly small it is. However now I have been thinking about it for some time and read some good ideas here maybe I'll manage. There is a space for a tall cupboard so am going to install one of those robinhood built in ironing boards, which I've had before. The board swivels to any direction that you need to after pulling it down and there is space for the iron and the water jug, they are very convenient and space efficient. I hate having to do ironing in a part of the house that's not dedicated for it.
  • chubbychicky
    7 years ago
    Whilst I like the look of a tucked away laundry (it really satisfies my OCD/neat freak personality, I personally need a proper laundry. It doesn't need to be terribly large, but it needs to have broom/mop/vacuum/duster and cleaning supplies storage with room for the washer and dryer and a bench over them for folding. The main reason I like a separate laundry room though is it gives hubby somewhere to unload his pockets and store his boots for the night (to collect on the way out again in the morning) and a place for the cat's litter box (covered, naturally!). I wouldn't even consider buying a house with the laundry in the garage. That's just me......
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

while doing my washing today i've paid extra attention to what it is about my laundry that i like and that includes...1. room on the floor to sort everything into piles 2 as well as room for the ironing board to be left standing up for the rare times it's used 3.hanging rod above the counter to hang newly washed drip dry clothes 4. a bench for folding clothes 5. a tub big enough to wash my little dog, with a pull out hose fitting on the tap 6. under bench storage for a dirty clothes basket 7. cupboards and shelves for mops and buckets and cleaning products behind doors 8. underbench power for wm and dryer 9. under bench taps for the washer and 9 a door to shut it all away from the public areas..So the main things i couldn't also have in a well designed cupboard laundry would be the ability to quickly shut the door on the standing ironing board and the washing spread out on the floor

• morish
    7 years ago

How many hours a day do we spend washing and ironing etc etc????????????

TOOOOOOOOO many!!!

I think to make the job more enjoyable....a nice spacious light bright laundry would be a million bucks!!!

Plus it MUST be close to the kitchen!!

• PRO
    BRUNNA.co
    7 years ago
    I rely on these baskets to create more natural and peaceful laundry area - www.brunna.co
  • User
    7 years ago

I've not had a full stand-alone laundry for 5yr. We've recently moved into our reno and I have a stacked laundry unit in my kitchen (euro laundry). I'm finding it works just fine. Saying this- I have 2 boys (9 & 11) and a husband, I work full-time. I've found since not having a full laundry past 5yr it pays to be disciplined about my washing. I do a small load daily. Washed, dried, put away (ironing necessary evil unfortunately!). I do remember my old full laundry......I'd often 'forget' the washing till it came back to bite me- "Mum where's my PE uniform?".

I had the choice between full laundry or 4th bedroom. Where we live, there is greater value on the 4th bedroom as so few places have them. It was not an option, and I've learned to manage it.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Great choice Mel N, you will survive the small laundry and make great use of the 4th bedroom

• clint46
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a tiny cupboard laundry in the 2nd bathroom, which has a door out to a deck - I'm able to have the tub in the garage if I need it. There's room for the ironing board and clothes airer beside the washing machine, and shelves above. There are

just the two of us mostly, and it works brilliantly. Storage is an issue, and I took a little bit from the pantry area (that's the pale wall) and made it into a broom cupboard on the other side, which is a hallway. It's not big, but it's amazing how much stuff fits in it. I hang the broom, mop, ash pan and duster on hooks which keeps them out of the way. It has a pocket door which makes it work well in the hall.

• ka5en
    7 years ago

When we built our new home, I wanted a compact laundry. I strongly disliked the "wasted space" that laundries took up. Here in Queensland, Australia, we don't need wet rooms and places to put our boots (I am talking urban, not rural where to opposite would be true).
    My laundry has two purposes. It hides the ugly machines, but is also one of the built in cupboards in my artroom, so is used as a wet area for rinsing paints, washing hands and getting water.
    I love how I can put washing on and close the door. As for sorting the actual laundry, I sort it, put one of the piles in the washing machine and then put the rest in the sink or spare floor space around. I am still able to close the door.
    I have a shelf above where I store laundry liquids, baskets, buckets, mops, mobile clothes airer and also spare art tables and canvases. I still have room to store my grandchildren's highchairs and would still have room above for another shelf for more storage if I want.

We did consider the problem of re-sale, but felt that we needed to have a house that worked for us, not others.

• thepeachtree
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I'm realising laundry size preference, for some, comes down to habits. When I sort I sort onto the floor, put one load on to wash and the other two still separated back into the two dirty laundry baskets and plonk them back in their respective bathrooms until it's their turn. Having a spot to iron would be magic though! Current set up only has a double power point that's hard to get to and positioned well behind the stacked appliances.

• kebrowne
    7 years ago
    We live in a large appartment with a laundry cupboard having moved from a large old house with a big laundry storing all our linen,broom, vacuum,dog bed ect. Prefer the cupboard. I keep separate baskets in the cupboard & everybody is required to sort their own laundry when they dump it including those who don't live here anymore & just bring laundry. Thought I need large laundry to work in but much happier with present arrangement.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

@ the peach tree,

I can't agree that your photo shows bench space, really, a bench space for me would be a metre of otherwise unused bench.

If space is an issue then a compact laundry simply needs to be accepted and worked as best as possible but if you have a 3 - 4 bedroom home, capable of sustaining a large family, then a tiny laundry for the person keeping up with the washing would probably almost go nuts, as there isn't sufficient room to even hold the dirty laundry let alone the washing off the line and wheres the bench space to fold it??

Tiny home tiny laundry, large home large laundry and I think this is the same for a lounge, kitchen or even the bathroom, that if the home can sustain a large family, it would go against the grain to have small areas for such a family.

We are building our last home and have opted for the larger version of a 3 - 4 bedroom home and have a dedicated laundry with plenty of storage too, which living in the country includes an extra fridge and freezer, as the nearest town is 15 km and the nearest safeway/coles is 30km away, one way. My laundry is 2.5m x 4m and all the rooms in the house would sustain a large family.

• thepeachtree
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@barbara I think if space wasn't such a premium in this build a lovely big laundry would be wonderful. We need to think carefully about every $ as this is our first home. Enjoy your build!

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

@thepeachtree,

I hear you about saving $$$, as the home we're building we're doing entirely ourselves, just hubby and I and we've been building for 9 years now with our own money and simply saving until we can move onto the next project but we didn't comprimise the size of the house either, just took longer being bigger but we have a comfortable little relocatable home to live in whilst we're building, so we're lucky that way.

Hope everything turns out ok for you too.

Cheers,

Barbara

thepeachtree thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • bj605
    7 years ago
    I haven't read the other comments sorry but in a smallish house or apartment a laundry as you have described would be fine. If the house is geared to a larger family then a proper laundry would be expected.
  • Vy
    7 years ago

Each of us have a colour coded tub. The clothes on the line goes straight on the sofa and into tubs .

could skip the sofa bit. I use it to fold my towels , sheets etc .

• Yvonne Newman
    7 years ago

For the last 15 years I have lived with my laundry in the master bathroom. This bathroom is rarely used as we don't entertain visitors all that often so it's hardly an inconvenience. We are about to move into a new house, that has a room totally dedicated to the laundry and I cant wait !!

Its all very well to have these grand ideas of compact this and compact that but if you DONT have to ... don't.

There's nothing like being able to have a private somewhere to hang your undies when its raining, to spread that folding out and make his/hers piles of folded clothes, to have somewhere to wash the cat, somewhere to iron those annoying shirts (that you bought without thinking), not having to listen to the washing machine completing it's cycle, getting all stuffy because the dryer is going and did I mention that I am looking forward to spreading myself out on laundry days.

• telperien
    7 years ago

You wash your cat, Yvonne? I'm impressed!

• Vy
    7 years ago

I'm impressed too as ours used to scratch us when we washed him.

• User
    7 years ago

I've not washed the cat for over 10yr. Only ever did it once. He just stood in the tub giving me an evil voodoo death stare as I bathed him. It kind of freaked me out. He can wash himself now.

My washing stack is in the kitchen, so no dedicated laundry tub at all. I put a butler sink in the main bathroom for the very odd times I'd need a laundry tub.

My washer is going right now- behind the cabinetry- it is barely audible. It's a Siemens frontloader. It has a Siemens condenser heat pump dryer stacked on top. This dryer does not vent hot air OR moisture. I can also leave the cabinetry closed when it's running. I do leave a cabinet door open though as I'd forget when the cycle finishes it's so quiet. If you are considering locating your laundry cupboard in the kitchen or a hall, I'd suggest you look to european appliance manufacturers. Cupboard laundries are very much the 'norm' across Europe so they are designed for this in mind. I remember a Maytag I had in the last full laundry I had 5yr ago- so damn noisey, like a jet plane taking off and that wasn't even when it was spinning.

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Our cat needs a bath.
  • telperien
    7 years ago

Go for it, bigreader! just have lots of bandages around, LOL.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

Talking completely off topic about cats and bathing etc...I have an amazingly funny joke about "Giving a Cat a Pill", very well written, quite a laugh, if anyone wants it just let me know.

Incidentally, my beautiful siamese "Kitty" long since gone, got her first bath at 4 1/2 weeks of age after rescueing her from an old lady who thought the black dots on the kittens were pretty spots but were in fact 100's upon 100's of fleas!!!

Kitty accepted her bath time but just continued speaking through the entire episode including whilst being dried but never a bite or scratch, she was one of a kind!!

• me me
    7 years ago

Hi Mel N. I'm glad that your happy with your laundry. I am about to move mine from the garage to the kitchen. Going outside, down a flight of steps isn't good in wet weather and certainly not good as I age. There is space at the end of the kitchen to put a Euro laundry. So I was pleased to hear about your quiet appliances. I will investigate them for my new laundry. At the moment I can't sort washing in the garage anyway, as it might get run over by the car! And all my cleaning equipment is already in the house, so that it is easier to access.

My cat loves a bath - he jumps in the bathtub with anyone who happens to be taking a bath!!

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Our Euro Laundry is in the cupboard next to the fridge in this Villa, it has bifold doors, the cupboard also vents to the outside for when the dryer is being used and the doors are closed. Fisher & Paykel are very quite with the door closed.

• wuff
    7 years ago
    @Ros Tovey, thanks for posting your photos, our laundry currently walk through to shower and toilet and another bedroom (old 50s) house and I have been trying to draw up in my mind a functional cupboard laundry so the space it occupies is more like a passage to bedroom and second half bathroom more like an ensuit
  • wuff
    7 years ago
    I have posted before that I don't have a laundry tub when we moved into this house three years ago now, there is a small hand washing basin on a pedestal - I was really worried that I would miss it, but I haven't at all and when we eventually change to laundry in cabinetry I will not add one. On the odd occasion I soak something I use a plastic tub, but that would be once or twice a year. I think if I had a large family it would be different, I have never folded washing in the laundry, always in bedroom where clothes go, linen straight into cupboard..I have forgotten what an iron looks like :/
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

We removed the Laundry tubs, and any soaking is done overnight in the washing machine, plastic buckets are great for smalls. Agree with Wuff dry clean clothes are put onto a bed and sorted, shirts etc are hung on coat hangers and put into the wardrobe, only ironing things when they are to be worn.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

Having read some of the posts, I can see that the type of laundry one has or needs is very relevant to ones lifestyle and location. If you live in suburbia and have a uniform or casual clothes, then a laundry can perhaps be quite minimal BUT

If like me, you are someone who lives in the country AND has cattle, sheep etc...then the laundry takes on a whole new role, as the type of clothes that are being washed are so much dirtier and the things that come into the laundry can even be so "out there" like an orphan lamb in a box that is being rescued, a calf feeding bottle being washed out ready for the next feed etc... country life is soo soo different.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, I am having a fridge and freezer for extra storage including a charging station for torches, so necessary in farm life, so laundries in the country will always be different and bigger from those in suburbia.

• Ellen
    7 years ago

Great ideas here. At the moment we have main bathroom with toilet en laundry all in the one space. I don't like guests to have to view my piles of dirty clothes. So we are about to change our lay- out. Bathroom with laundry cupboard and then a seperate access toilet. We will sacrifice an external door, but we don't use that door anyway. I'm slightly worried about small laundry, big house (3+ bedrooms), but it will work for our family and we'll worry about resale in 10 years.

• Sheila Smart
    7 years ago
    Our laundry is in the bathroom and has been for some years but when we were recently completely renovating the bathroom,
    I wanted it to be hidden. Photos below are before ( not a good snap but stacked washer and dryer on left) and after shots, the latter showing no sign of the washer and dryer which are inside the custom built vanity. I bought a Hafele ironing board which was installed in a lower kitchen cupboard by the bathroom tradies and I bought a camping laundry basket which collapses completely and is stored in a cupboard in the kitchen. Laundry products are stored in the drawers under the basin.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

I have already mentioned elsewhere that whilst building our forever dream home, we live in a matchbox size house all of approx. 7 sqs, a relocatable home and the bathroom is also the laundry and toilet. It is dreadful to traverse and to get to the toilet and shower, you have to turn sideways to pass the washing machine and carefully pass the hand basin and try not to hit the vanity corner with your hip.

When trying to dry yourself out of the shower, we have to be mindful of not hitting our elbows on the shower wall and lifting your leg to dry it is also done carefully so as not to hit the handbasin with your knee!!

We cannot change this layout but can't wait to get out either and enjoy the comfort of a large bathroom, seperate toilet and seperate laundry.

• Sheila Smart
    7 years ago

I would like to add that one should always stick to your guns when dealing with any renovation and renovation companies. Three companies told me that the toilet and cistern could not be moved from one side of the bathroom to the other or that it would be a huge problem with sewer lines outside the bathroom which would have to be dug up but I knew what I wanted and I knew it was feasible. I then found a Danish bathroom tiler called Jan who said that my idea was great and it could be done "no worries" which two words normally strike fear into my heart! I got the bathroom I wanted and although Jan was not cheap, he did a great job. As you can see from the first "snap", the old bathroom was a mishmash of styles and in dire need of replacement. Firstly, we wanted to get rid of the bath as we have just reached 70 and looking ahead, did not relish the thought of climbing into the bath to have a shower when we were geriatric. I would like to also add that while I designed the new bathroom myself, I got a whole lot of ideas from Houzz including the hidden LED lighting around the cabinet and the porcelain tiling on the walls and floor. Jan's employee who did the grouting suggested dark grouting but I wanted white to "lift" the tiles and to avoid a concrete bunker look. He was quite dubious about white grouting but after it was done, he said that it looked great. Again, stick to your plan!

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

totally agree with you Sheila, we have a Plumber that always says yes to doing things and no fuss . I think a lot only want to do things the easy way, good on you for sticking with it. Showers over baths can be extremely dangerous places for everyone.

• Sam Ridley
    7 years ago
    I prefer the laundry to not be a cupboard in the kitchen area. I have a separate laundry with a large inbuilt that has separate sections to store shoes, linen' doonas, ironing board etc. Under the laundry sink unit I store all my cleaning goods. I don't own a clothes dryer as I have a double garage with a clothes line which I love because I just hang up my clothes and just let them dry naturally without worrying about if it is going to rain, external factors that may soil the clothes as they dry etc.

My family know to remove their shoes and leave them in the laundry neatly when they come home. Once they have aired they get put away. I have never liked leaving and storing shoes in the bedroom.
  • Alison Edwards
    7 years ago

I will start with an admission - I have read nothing of the comments. However I have helped a friend design a compact laundry. Here was how we did it.

1. Start with a list of everything - and I mean everything, include pegs, those little lint ball things for the washing machine, buckets, mops, vacuum, airers etc - that you want to store in the space.

2. Break that list into where you want to store it - drawers, wall, or cupboard - and then rewrite the list as cupboard, drawers, wall etc.As you are doing this, see if you can store those items elsewhere - we added a ceiling airer in the bathroom using pulleys. Also mark any item that a special storage gadget might help. We added to the back of one door (I think they were custom made 925mm and 2300mm high) a hanger for the vacuum hose, and in the cupboard a hanger that slides out for the brooms and mop.

3. Go measure the space you have, and be exact - if the measurement is 1457mm it is 1457mm. Also, see where you might "borrow" space from. We managed to add another 650mm deep, 750mm wide cupboard by swapping the two bedrooms around, and using space in the guest bedroom wardrobe.

4. Draw up a plan, and be really specific. If you think you need four drawers and a top mounted sink then plan that way. Whilst you are planning think over whether you want top spec and not hide it, or to hide it behind really nice doors. We used reasonable quality from Bunnings and modified because it was behind doors.

Also, don't be afraid to "borrow" something from a different zone. In my laundry I used a round kitchen sink, because I didn't want a really deep laundry tub so I could use the room underneath.

5. Go and find a really good quality cupboard manufacturer or builder and ask them to look over your plan and ideas. They may tweak to assist, but remember you know your space and what you will be using it for better than anyone. In my friends case, she had a brother who assisted and made a super looking set of doors.

As to resale value, that depends on who you want to buy it, but I have one piece of advice - don't go for the resale value, do it because that is what you want. In my friends case she turned her laundry into the bathroom, and then turned the oversized bathroom into a very natty study.

Good Luck.

• deewb
    7 years ago

my laundry is between the kitchen and garage. It is the perfect location. I think it acts like a "mud" room as well as a laundry. It is very small but all the dirty things happen there, cleaning shoes, organising pest spray and so on. Happy to have the noise barrier.

• hildagabrielli
    7 years ago
    Personally, I like a decent sized laundry with plenty of storage and I would not like anything smaller than what I have. I have room to store the ironing board, drying racks, step ladder, vacuum cleaner, linen, clothes hamper, picnic and beach gear, vases, cleaning gear, sewing notions etc, etc.
    brooms and mops are hung on holders outside and out of sight at the side of the house so they can quickly dry in the air.
    I like to have room to sort the washing, and to fold it on the bench space after bringing it in. I like the fact that I can shut the door on the noise of the washing machine and dryer and any other messes or projects on the go in there.
    I also use this space as an extra kitchenette when entertaining, as the extra bench space and sink come in very handy for prepping or to set up a self serve coffee and tea station. Or I fill the sink with ice for drinks and use it as a bar.....
    It works well for me.
    I just keep a little cordless vac in the pantry to whiz thru the kitchen to pick up daily detritus....
  • graemesteph
    7 years ago

We had a closet laundry in the kitchen of our last house, thought that would be great until I had to use it now I won't consider a house with laundry in kitchen or garage (the garage option always looks like an afterthought and I bet functions like one to.

We now have a decent bench with basket drawers under for sorting washing, so when you go to put a load on its ready to go. Plus it's a great utility space for all sorts of jobs e.g. cleaning mucky shoes (or dying shoes etc). Plus shirts go straight onto hanger above bench in front of window - so easy.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

If you have the space it's great to have a utility room, when we lived in Dubai we had an apartment with a laundry cupboard in the kitchen with housed an American coupled washer & dryer similar to the above which was a great sized unit, can't remember the brand, couldn't hang washing outdoors too easily in that climate. Shirts straight onto hangers in front of laundry window works really well if you have one.

• PRO
    Brilliant Design Concepts
    7 years ago

I think that is absolutely perfect. More often or not these days, people are utilising smaller spaces to accomodate laundries - placing them under stairs, incorporating them into kitchens and bathroom. It's all about the layout, not necessarily the space, to create a great functional laundry.

Here is an example of one of mine. It's a laundry incorporated with the kitchen:

Tailored Interior · More Info

This one is a hidden and compact laundry:

Laundry Built into a cupboard Laundry open! · More Info

Pull out pantry to house laundry detergents and sundries · More Info

Laundry closed · More Info

• PRO
    Core Interiors
    7 years ago

Laundry's in cupboard's for division are great if they have good drip dry hanging spaces. Landry's should be separated from kitchen's for hygiene reasons. Spaces to dedicated laundry's work best for reasons such as out of site, acoustics to the rest of the house, it is a work room and for some this means serious mud etc... Once upon a time in Australia and else where Laundry's were accessed by leaving the main house and entering a seperate room and if you were lucky it had a toilet in it's own cubicle off of it. Dedicated laundry spaces are best, but not always possible, so clever design of function and aesthetics is a must. For thoughtful Interior design in Canberra, gives us a call to chat about your laundry needs. CORE INTERIORS, Qualified Interior Designers, Canberra Australia. 0409605323 ask for Jennifer.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi brilliant design concepts, love how you've used this space for us "multi tasking females", and use of the sliding door. Love the shaker profile doors, perfect, are the washer and dryer in a cupboard, doesn't matter because the sliding door would take care of any possible noise. The hanging space in front of the window is ideal had this in a unit which had a small galley kitchen with a sliding door at one end, to the left was the laundry tub with a window which was where the shirts were hung and to the right the washer dryer. Just love your work.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Don't forget the pull out "Hotel" clothes line over the bath this is really handy in small spaces especially in unkind weather, even better if there's a window next to the bath.

• jennifer_wetselaar
    7 years ago

I incorporated my laundry and disability access toilet into a perfect multipurpose room for my old age. Toilet and good wheelie walker /wheelchair turning circle on one side and the laundry along the other wall. Stone bench top with cupboards and washer below with small cupboards above. The basin is round stainless as hand basin with a mirror above, and a hanging rail above for wet clothes / shirts that don't need ironing(they go straight back into my cupboard when dry). It is perfect when guests come over to have a separate toilet in my granny flat size house. Lots of spare space next to toilet for washing basket, waste bin and sorting washing