Houzz Logo Print
italiangal001

Need 2 decide this week out of these 2 designs? PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!

Italian Girl
7 years ago

Sorry for posting again..but i need to choose urgently this week!

To suit a modern home with floating stairs and light grey tiled floor.... Gladd balustrade with rail attached OR metal beams?

1 or 2???

Comments (46)

• legendaryflame
    7 years ago

I prefer 1. It suits your modern home and brings in a touch of warmth. 2 is not quite right in my opinion.

Italian Girl thanked legendaryflame
  • Georgia Kay
    7 years ago
    I much prefer no 1 . Don't like the railing of no 2 much.
    Italian Girl thanked Georgia Kay
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you...i think i may just have to go with the glass

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Glass is obviously what you are leaning towards and I prefer this glass option to the picture in your other post :)
    Italian Girl thanked hagan_38
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I actually like the look of the beams...but everyone's turning me off them...so glass it is!!

Which one hagan_38????

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    This was the photo I was referring to. The balustrade option is better.
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nooooo i like the glass starting on each step, not going all th way down...and this one doesn't even have a railing..i like other one better :P

• legendaryflame
    7 years ago

If you like the beams, go for them. It's your home, I presume? If so you should go for what you like.

• antonia_d
    7 years ago
    I prefer the beams :) Sorry to add to the confusion. I just think glass is so overused as a balustrade.
  • B M
    7 years ago
    Definitely the glass #1
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    @italiangal001 that photo is what you posted in your other question as a choice for us to pick from. It's not my photo. I don't like it either. My preference is still with the beams. I couldn't stand cleaning all that glass!
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Arghhhhhh hagan_38...do you know how confused I am right now???!!!!!!!! Beams, glass..beams..glass....I am sooo over it all!!! lol

• haephestus
    7 years ago

Of those two options, Number 1.

But, if there was a third option which was similar to Number 2, but which utilised timber instead of prison-like bars, then I'd be sorely tempted to choose that option.

• robandlyn
    7 years ago

Go for number 1......it is way better than the first photo of glass you posted in another post....there is less glass to clean. also, your husband wants glass, your builder cousin wants glass, you don't want the rail on the wall so will solve that problem, and glass looks modern but is also timeless...won't date like some of the other options.

So...go for number 1...there, I've helped you!!

I've really enjoyed reading all your posts over the last few months and watching your house evolve...please post pics once it is complete - it is going to look fantastic:)

Italian Girl thanked robandlyn
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aww thank you robandlyn :) You're too sweet :)

• LesleyH
    7 years ago

We are just waiting on our house warming invite (only joking). Both photos are great and I now think the balustrade on the glass helps this idea along if you go this way.

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes!!!....you are all invited when i have one!!! :) Thanks again

• brixnmorta
    7 years ago

https://goo.gl/images/jn9p9p

How about frosted glass, so it wont look dirty?

Were you satisfied with the tiling, did they do a good job?

Italian Girl thanked brixnmorta
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They are no where near finished the inside yet...then there is all the outside to be done...But yes, they are the best tilers in Sydney ;) Love their work! Perfectionists :)

• Anthony Bautista
    7 years ago

Glass looks much nicer and very modern. Get a wooden rail attached to the side of glass to make glass hold stronger. Very nice.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

the majority of votes appear to be for the glass balustrade but it seems you're still not convinced so there must be a third option: perfect for you...you could always try for built in walls with storage under the stairs and wooden treads and risers with a simple wooden balustrade..done with gorgeous eg Tasmanian Oak in a simple uncluttered style would be simple, useful storage, uncluttered, easier to maintain, timeless and probably much cheaper than any of the new designs that seem to date so quickly

Italian Girl thanked oklouise
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all, but i have decided on the glass with the matching 'Spotted Gum' railing to suit the upstairs hardwood timber floor ;)

• oklouise
    7 years ago

well done!!

Italian Girl thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    SUGARBAKERS
    7 years ago

I would propose Option 1 with glass and hand rail.

• Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

1 is modern and is likely to hold it's age better than two which I find to be too modern and is likely to date very quickly.

• Bellingham kim
    7 years ago

2!!

• Judy Hassett
    7 years ago
    I prefer 1, We have a similar staircase in our home & instead of glass we have used stainless steel for the handrail & uprights & stainless steel wire
    It's a lot easier than glass to keep looking clean
    Italian Girl thanked Judy Hassett
  • minerva000
    7 years ago

I like #1 better - but as an aside, because I have recently discovered the delights (and occasional "moments") of grandchildren, are there going to be young children in your house regularly? I personally like the floating timber steps and the glass, but talking to my daughter about her new three story home, I realised that the walking-to 4-5year old stage (she currently has a 2 year old and another on the way) could be a serious ongoing issue for people with kids - so I reined in my criticism of her "boxed-in" stairs... Just a thought...

• skimaster
    7 years ago

I prefer 1 because there are older people who cannot manage without a rail.

Italian Girl thanked skimaster
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

1 with the railing in the glass it's going to be

• pascoeyvonne
    7 years ago

It all depends on what style home you have and whether you have small children, but I prefer option 2 as it looks very modern. Glass panels with rails have been around for years.

• Mandy Golding
    7 years ago
    In my humble opinion I much prefer 2 staircase. It has a certain chic style that I absolutely love. Its the boring types that are going for 1. Be brave, be bold go for 2 you'll love it. Mandy x
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    I like 2 but only if you can have hand rail on the wall , you need something To hold on to, if not then 1.
  • User
    7 years ago
    I love them both but if you were to ever have kids in 10 years time the first option would be more practical..
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ended up doing this look....as you can see, the steps are covered up to protect the timber, still not totally finished yet...

• jojoemetoo
    6 years ago
    #1 is more common.
    #2 is more "designer" and more contemporary.

Glass collects dust & fingerprints and requires more cleaning.

Do you want your house to look more common, or more designer?

Nothing wrong with more common - sometimes it's more practical.
  • jojoemetoo
    6 years ago
    A handrail is a must by law I believe - these photos might be from other countries.
  • spmm
    6 years ago
    Wooden handrail is human shaped - much better than bars
  • me me
    6 years ago
    Finished result looks good
  • Mark
    6 years ago
    All I can think of is the fingerprints on the glass if you have little people... the metal is way less maintenance.
  • C P
    6 years ago
    Looks great, I liked both initial options though.
  • zaffa
    6 years ago
    Nice result and a very hard choice between the 2! For those who are interested, you do need to have a handrail that runs the whole length of the flight. We have vertical brushed aluminium rods on the steps that start from the 5th tread (to keep a sense of openness) but needed a wall rail as well. We chose the rod option over glass for something different and with far less maintenance. I think it all comes down to individual taste and what's important to you in terms of overall design
  • Crissy
    6 years ago
    i have glass on mine and its a bugger to keep clean... the beams look good
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

THANK YOU ALL :)

Ended up doing this -

• Kathy
    6 years ago

I like the first one too with the glass. Contemporary modern. Nice.