pazza_italiana78

Rugs...rugs.... rugs!!

pazza_italiana78
February 6, 2017
Ordered my red leather couch in my living area. Home is currently being built. Decided on adding a red couch to the mix as it immediately adds a bold decorating palette. In terms of a rug, I'm thinking along the lines of adding a touch of African safAri by going for that zebra pattern in my decor, as I want my room to become a stand out! Will that work? Please help.
Attached, is my floorboard sample, red leather sample, coffee table and tv unit and example of a zebra print rug.

• allanaspree

An animal print will work very well with a red sofa however you need to be careful or it could be too much. Perhaps a neutral rug & bring in the zebra either in art or through pillows, ottomans etc. Some pics below showing you what I mean plus one with a zebra rug for comparison.

• pazza_italiana78
    Thank you.. I've been searching for neutral however haven't been able to find anything that would suit against my floorboards as shown.
    Also, is it a big no, lighter furniture against a slightly darker floorboards. As per attached, I've gone for this table and white leather chairs, against my floorboards. Initially I preferred a slightly darker table. Please help!
  • allanaspree

The best advice I can give you right at this point is wait up. I know you are eager & excited but don't buy anything more until you move in as the light in each room will affect the colour of all items - your floor boards will take on slightly different hues in each room depending on time of day as will your wall colour, furniture colour etc. Once you move in, you can then try out rugs at home in situ on approval & then move slowly from there. You won't even be able to determine the right size rug until your furniture is in place. After you move in, if you still can't find a neutral rug that you like go to a large carpet store & choose a neutral carpet that works & bring samples home. You will have a bigger variety to choose from. Once you have decided you can then have the carpet cut to the perfect size for your room & professionally hemmed - instant rug.

• pazza_italiana78
    Thanks for your advice, yes you're right. hehe
    I'm just hoping I haven't gone the wrong way with my kitchen table against my floorboards as shown
  • allanaspree

Ask the retailer from whom you bought the table if you can exchange it for a darker one if it turns out that you would prefer a darker colour once you move. If they are OK with this (can't see why not unless you are not moving for 12 months) make sure you get it in writing.

• pazza_italiana78
    I've searched for over a month.
    Either too big, nit good quality or too pricey. I'm moving in next month.
    Milray Park

Hello, if you wish to get free advice from a professional interior designer, have a look at Milray Park Online Design Bar.

Our Design Team would be more than happy to help you find the perfect rug :)

• LesleyH
    Oh No! Not M!ilray Park's cut and paste comment again!
  • KK1000
    I like all of them except coffee table, if you are going for tribal look use timber and glass rather then chrome . Have a look at Noguchi table or something like that.
  • pazza_italiana78
    Thanks for your opinion. I ended up buying the glass table. I've already got the wooden tv unit and timber kitchen table. I actually wanted to break up the timber so that's why I decided to throw in something different and add something a little more modern.
  • KK1000
    I don't know about it , can you change it, you can have modern and different but I think your tv unit is mid century style and table is Well I don't know what style it is than you say you want tribal . As someone suggested earlier , stop shopping before you move in it might be all wrong and your taste and ideas might change by then. Trick in decorating is to be patient and only buy when you are absolutely sure that you can take it back. Ha ha.
  • pazza_italiana78
    Not sure if I can actually change it now. The tv unit and matching kitchen table is a retro
    Scandinavian syle, so from that era. I thought of breaking up the timber as there was to much happening everyone. I've got an open plan living and it's not an overly bug home
    You have a mix match (which may be your intention).especially that coffee table. You are buying a lot of items. I'd pause and pay an interior designer to help pull it all together. As long as you've a bathroom and a fridge you can live without the rest for a while.
    You need to create a look book here on Houzz and save at least twenty photos you love. Then sit back and review the common themes.