Houzz Logo Print
cazzat

Need help with tricky dining room

cazzat
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

We're trying to squeeze a bit more time in our current victorian terrace before we renovate in a few years. It's a very small room (3.8 square) coupled with the fact that the front entry is here and you have to walk through the dining to get to the living room (see layout diagram below). I really want to get a dining table in this room permanently -most of the time it's tucked into the corner and we take it out to extend it when we need it. It needs to sit 4 people every day, but also accomodate up to 8 people once a week (big family dinner nights!).

The main problem is the fireplace. We can't remove it permanently as our neighbours use it and builders are vary of touching it as there's a small chance of smoke entering into our part. So i’m trying to work around it.

The best plan i have is to remove the front facade of the fireplace as well as the mantlepiece that juts out. I’ll put in a white pdf board over the hole so that the wall is flat. I’ll slot in a bench that sits there and get a narrow dining table (maybe 70-80cm?). The dining table in the picture at the moment is 90cm wide and i feel that's too wide as i haven't factored inn the benches and chairs yet. That’s the best solution i can see. maybe another bench on the other side and two end chairs. At the moment we have built in a cupboard under the stairs but perhaps i’ll remove it so the space feels roomier.

We need all the space we can get as i have 2 young kids and this is their one of their main playing areas as well! if anyone has any suggestions i’d love to hear them.

Comments (9)