Houzz Logo Print
sydlouise

Single skin garage- waterproofing options

Louise
7 years ago

I have just bought a home that has a single skin brick garage.

It's a brick veneer two storey home but the garage sits at ground level with walls exposed (eg no dirt against it and not underground). There is an eave on the second storey overhanging the wall. The driveway slopes away steeply from the garage at the front, as does the earth at the side of the house. The back wall of the garage might be underground though as there are stairs up to the laundry.

My building inspector advised not to store anything on the ground or against the walls in the garage due to water coming in through the bricks and rising damp (we inspected during the rain after days of heavy rain). He mentioned that a drainage channel has been cut into the concrete though so perhaps it does get very wet.

I'm keen to store a lot of expensive sporting equipment in this garage with racking against the walls (skis, paragliders, camping equipment etc).

Any suggestions how to make it more dry and waterproof? And is this a job I can do myself or get tradies in?

I've read about adding insulation and an interior wall, or spraying the walls inside with some sort of silicon, or spraying outside with the same. As a side note, if relevant, he said the walls were most likely asbestos so should keep them well painted to prevent any fibres escaping.

Down the track I would be interested in converting it into a living area too so interested to know what the cheap and cheerful option is for now and the presumably more elaborate version for down the track.

Comments (6)