Houzz Logo Print
sarahbetty300

Do you think subway tiles will date?

Betty Weaver
7 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I love the idea of Subway Tiles like this.. but I am worried in I could get over it.. do you think they will date?

Upper West Side Apartment · More Info

Comments (68)

• gardentime
    7 years ago
    I agree with PMG design's comments. The subway tile is timeless. The high contrast grout thing is very on trend, and high trend stuff will date - just like it did last time when it was big in the '80's. If you keep the grout colour the same colour as the tile, it will disappear and not be such a stand-out "in your face" trend that has been and gone (after the trend passes). There are also more beautiful versions of the subway tile like the bevel led edge or very rustic "farmhouse brick edge" or expensive glass subway tiles that can take your mind away from the whole "subway toilet" thing. I can't see too many other classic alternatives to the subway tile, unless perhaps you try a powder coated pressed tin panel, but then you have to be very careful with what pattern you choose.
  • PRO
    HACK architecture
    7 years ago

I would say these tiles will date, particularly here in Australia. Subway tiles are currently a trend and are being used a lot. At some point they will stop being trendy, and eventually they will be associated with the time they were in fashion, like seagrass matting in the 1970s. This doesn’t necessarily make them a bad idea, however. One of the good things about subway tiles is their durability. If you like them and you choose classic colours, and use the tiles appropriately, and look after them, then they will look as good as when they were knew for years to come.

It’s not really possible to avoid dating. Even the best design will always be of its time. However, when done well it can be appreciated for what it is. If we think back to the styles that were fashionable (an example here)? in the 1980's or 90's in homes, it seems very dated, but when it’s a quality build and it still functions well, then it will maintain appeal even if it’s retro rather than contemporary.

• Related Discussions

Which subway tile do I choose for renovated kitchen

Q

Comments (12)
    I like the longer ones best. If tiles are your preferred choice, I think a white tile that has a nice polished texture look, looks great in a kitchen. With great lighting, the light bounce's of the angles and the stainless steel appliances at night and gives a bit of bling and expense.
    ...See More

Do you think it's okay to do the main bathroom in Matte tiles and the

Q

Comments (17)
    Are we just talking wall tiles here? What are you looking at for floor tiles? I'm thinking in terms of mixing gloss and matte in both rooms to tie them together and keep your customer happy but giving each bathroom its own character without being too different ................ if that makes sense.
    ...See More

What do U think of my new terracotta Spanish ROOF TILES? and colour ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Can't go wrong with charcoal in my opinion, love it. Classic colour.
    ...See More

What do you think of glass pools?

Q

Comments (22)
    We built a pool exactly the same, however we didnt use laminated glass but a monolithic piece of 80mm thick Plexiglass 3mx2m from Germany. This reduced the overall cost of the pool considerably. Pool was fantastic and doubled as a water feature when not in use. Incorporating LED lighting allowed the pool to take on the mood of the night. The only downside we found with the pool was that after heaving swimming and sunscreen the waterline of the Plexiglass would need a clean. Other than that it gained lots of comments and was even used for photo shoots and promo work.
    ...See More
  • Jackson Taylor
    7 years ago

No way! Love subway tiles. Especially the combination of black and white -

Holden Street · More Info

• PRO
    HACK architecture
    7 years ago

Jackson Taylor,

Just because we like them, will not change the fact they will likely date.

Remember, glass splashbacks, mosaic tiles, all still used but not so hot these days.

• krc33
    7 years ago

I like them as well. No, I don't think they will date. If they do, it's part of the charm. (Besser blocks, green walls, macrame plant holders, cork flooring - love it all - history and function all rolled into one).

• annb1997
    7 years ago

If you like them best of all the tiles available, certainly please yourself and go with them!

• pottsy99
    7 years ago

Obviously , I'm different to most people -- I only use Subway tiles 'very sparingly' . I've just done 2 toilets and a kitchen / staff area in a 1980's commercial building . The floors and 1.2 metres up the walls I did in black semi-gloss 300 x 300 tiles , then a single row of glossy apricot subway tiles , then vertical striped wallpaper in 4 shades of light brown and beige , up to the white painted roof ( with LED downlights ) . White toilets and urinals and vanities , with apricot coloured toilet brushes , apricot liquid soup dispensers , cactuses in apricot coloured pots , and apricot handtowels , seems to set it all 'alike' .

In the kitchen area we used the same semi-gloss black floor tiles , but did the walls full height in wallpaper in a white and terracota aged brick pattern , re-used the original stainless bench , all the light switches and 3 pin sockets got stainless covers , repainted all the cabinetry gloss white , white fridge , stainless microwave , orange and stainless electric jug , orange and chrome toaster , orange and chrome milkshake machine , orange mugs -- but back to the tiles , we did essentially a splashback behind the benchtop -- 1 row of 200 x 200 gloss black tiles , topped by 1 row of 200 x 100 glossy apricot Subway tiles .

I also added a stainless range hood , a large black glass dining table with 8 small orange stools , and a couple of bright works of art .

• pascoeyvonne
    7 years ago

The items which date the fastest in a property are the tiles. Fashions in tiles and colours come and go very quickly. However the subway tiles seem to come back into fashion more than others.

• mandyf21
    7 years ago

I have had white subway tiles as kitchen splashback and in my ensuite for 25 years - they are a classic look. Must admit I prefer with white grout as it always looks fresh and bright - I think it takes on a bit of 'grunge' with the dark grout.

• kate waetford
    7 years ago
    Dark grout will date. White is more classic
  • misscarson
    7 years ago

I agree with katewaet. We have subway tiles in our current bathroom (rental) from the 70s or 80s. They are grouted in white and the ONLY thing that dates them is the decorative tile with blue flowers going around the top of them :) without that tile they would look like they were done yesterday.

• Leanne Knights
    7 years ago

They will out live any other style trend.

• PRO
    Beretta tiles
    7 years ago
    hey Betty, they wont date as long as your kitchen theme is matched with the tiles
  • denisreno
    7 years ago

It's up to you - your kitchen - but they always remind me of the old fashioned toilet blocks you always saw in movies. I would never have it in a kitchen for that reason - don't need to be reminded of the toilet while eating :) and someone normally died there as well and they found them soaked in, let's hope it was, water - eeek. Not for me.

• PRO
    The Wall Sticker Company
    7 years ago

Love the look but apparently they're gone!

• Ann-Marie Ryan
    7 years ago

Yes I think they're dated already. I love them but getting sick of seeing them everywhere so looking for alternatives as we're just doing our kitchen now. I only want them if I can have the dark grout so above comments make me wary. I'm considering doing them in a stacked pattern instead as I think this will reduce visual clutter a little.

• Vineela Nandury
    7 years ago

they are not the latest but my all time favorite !! It depends on your overall design of the house....

I personally love them !!

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Agree with Ann-Maree Ryan above. They already have dated, and have been over used in recent years. Use them if you really love them. It is all about individual taste.

• PRO
    co-design
    7 years ago

Love them or not it doesn't really matter. Remember this is all fashion and styles will come and go no matter what you do. Classics ebb and flow less than other flash in the pan trends. A good design will incorporate what suits the mood of the room not what the trend is today. If your selection suits the mood then it's the right selection.

• Sam Mas
    7 years ago

I would say if you love them and are staying in the house long-term, go for it. If looking to sell anytime soon - DON'T. They are polarising. People seem to either love or hate them. Personally, I would NEVER buy a house with them in because I cannot bear to look at them. Subways and toilet blocks, ewww.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

I haven't read all the comments but I think if you don't want your subway tiles to date then match the grout and they will simply dissapear and just do their thing like suggested already. It is the coloured grout that probably will date.

I also think that there is too much emphasis on the actual shape of the tile being long and narrow.

Do you think we would be having this same conversation if the tile you were thinking of using was say square for example?

Unfortunately lots of people do the "yuk subway tiles" and "dirty" but we are talking about a home now not a railway station!!

I am planning an all white kitchen and think an all white subway tile splashback will look great.

• Susy Blitzer
    7 years ago

Yes, experience has shown me, that any tile trend will date and even if they come back into trend they always have a different twist, so you can always tell how dated tiles actually are.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

@Susy Blitzer,

Yes I think you're right and I don't think your dated comment relates just to tiles!!

We can go back and talk shag pile carpet for example, now back in etc... I hated it the first time around ha-ha

• deester
    7 years ago
    I think perhaps the contrasting grout look might date. But not, say, white tiles + white grout or gray tiles gray grout...
  • chartuck
    7 years ago

They will probably date, as most things do, over time but if you love them why not have them. After all, they are only tiles and can be changed when you tire of them - one good whack of a hammer and voila!! Although, I'm afraid I will never warm to the idea of using Subway tiles in a house, especially not a kitchen, because they always remind me of being in a public toilet

• Loula Katsikapis
    7 years ago
    I love my black subway tiles with white grout. I think they are classic and timeless.
  • Country House Gal
    7 years ago
    They won't date, they're classic! Although I like this version of extra long hand made look ones. Agree "no" on the black grout.

Madison, NJ - Transitional - Walnut Butcher Block · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Subway tiles will date if they are combined with a really modern sleek kitchen. They will look great and appropriate with a kitchen that has an industrial or country or retro vibe. Darker grout is great if the tiles are near a cooktop as you won't notice the oil splashes and discolouration that will happen with white grout. I have a house built in 1960 and when I redid the kitchen 3 years ago I used black shaker style cabinets, no overheads, timber bench tops and white subway tiles with grey grout. It really suits the era of the house while still having a cool cafe vibe. I still love the look of it. But do what you love while being sympathetic to the style of the rest of the home. Everything will date but it doesn't matter if you still love it!

• Ann-Marie Ryan
    7 years ago

Sounds like our kitchen and I agree re the practicality of dark grout. Because I am getting a bit tired of the subways, I might go for square white tiles, but still with the dark grout. You've got me thinking:-)

• Cattie
    7 years ago

Everything dates. I have a splashback of subway tiles installed in 1910 and still like them. But the old ones have minimal visible grout.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

personally i prefer a 300 x 100mm rather than square. But thats me. plenty of pics on HOUZZ to look at to help you with your decision. All the best for your kitchen reno

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

This thread has been going for so long, that even if they were not dated at the beginning, I am sure they would have by now.

• krc33
    7 years ago

It's only been twelve days from time of post. It's great that everyone takes an interest. I think 'Garden Oasis - The Cat House', probably outdoes this post. A lot of cat lovers out there.

• PRO
    Jim zou
    7 years ago

In my Chinese opinion,it's a little bit date

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    7 years ago

Such a useful discussion!

• PRO
    Tile Power Gregory Hills
    7 years ago
    There is many different variations of subway style tile from rustic looking edges to the crayon style, lots of colours, and various sizes available now that I think you cannot go wrong.

You can also change it up by doing different coloured grout and if you get sick of them over time just change the colour of the grout for a whole new look.

Best advice is to choose something you love not what is in style.
    Good luck with whatever you choose - I'm sure it will look amazing
  • Hayley C
    7 years ago
    They are classic... Just finished putting some in my new home and I love them...go with what you love!
  • Debbie Whittaker
    7 years ago

I am planning to use subway tiles in my kitchen up to the top of window height, white tiles with grey grout, and carrera white marble laminex benchtops, I don't think it will date really, and they suit lots of styles - country, hamptons, modern, boho etc, cheers

• vicki Lavender
    5 years ago

I like Subway tiles they are not overbearing, Black Nick Knacks here and there complement the tiles, and then the tiles are less noticeable, but they give a clean atmosphere to the kitchen & people love the clean look.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    5 years ago

If you are mainly concerned with staying 'on trend' you will be very likely to pick something that will date very quickly. If you are more focused on what's practical, simple, and low maintenance, you are very likely to choose timeless finishes.

• PRO
    co-design
    5 years ago

I agree with Daniel, as per my earlier comment on this, trends come and go. In my opinion the only tile that is a classic which is never in nor out of fashion, has longevity and will not date your kitchen is the ever lasting 200 x 200 white ceramic tile. Not being a big fan of them myself I can understand your desire to select something with a little more style. So go ahead and do so and don't worry about changing trends because whatever you select will have a life of its own and when you are sick of it all you need to do is change it once more. A bit like socks, isn't it!

• Barbara Dunstan
    5 years ago

I couldn't agree more with the last two comments. The tile I chose was one I liked and not one that was or is "on trend" I like it and that is ultimately what's important to me and should be with any choice you will make in your home including tiles, that first and foremost, you like and didn't chose them because someone else tells you its the way to go.

You will get friends or family that will agree or disagree with your choice and at no time I think will everyone say they all like the tile you chose well truthfully anyway!!

I like the subway tile even though there has been comparisons of exactly where these tiles got their name from and that they should stay there.

All tiles have come a long way from the 200 x 200 white tile as mentioned by co-design but if you like this tile for example, I say go for it!!

Times have changed so much now with all manner of textures, lighting and even bling now incorporated in kitchens and bathrooms and I for one love it.

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    This discussion was posted march 2017. Subway tiles are still being laid in new homes and renovations, and in my opinion, look classic and timeless. But, see what the situation is in 20 years time. All the monument grey and ironstone coloured homes with subway tiles might be like the mission brown of the 70/80's.
  • Deirdre Foot
    5 years ago

My current kitchen has black subway tiles with white grout and everyone loves them. I bought my house with the existing kitchen and have changed the accent colour of the light shades and accessories from red to green in the last year (photo is pre green!) as I love retro mid bright green. Herb plants and glass containing cut herbs from my garden plus cheap black metal indust chic shelves that house lovely green china items also help soften the tiles. I would ideally change the benchtops from white laminate to med rimu type wood and steel, go for a darker grout for practical reasons and change the cupboards from this grey/dark brown laminate to lighter wood (not scandi white type though - I think is now getting dated and is to me a very cold style and not practical). I have my own style, love colour pops and I would best describe it as eco retro boho industrial chic - eclectic. Go for your style and if its not your forever house - think budget and what will be easy to update. I think subway tiles work well for updating and are classic but perhaps think colour instead of white or black as well and also grouting colour - it makes a difference.

• HU-993321967
    4 years ago

I first used subway tiles 23 years ago and they still look good & hopefully will in another 23 years.

• pottsy99
    4 years ago

Will Subway tiles date ? I don't know -- I've never asked one on a date hahahaha . . . . . . . . .

• PRO
    Lauren Shiels Interior Design
    4 years ago

If you love them get them. It's your space. In saying that, if you are planning to sell and this is your top priority, perhaps you could select a grout colour with a softer grey so less contrast. Also, and I'm not sure of your layout, but there is alot of grout to clean here!

• vicki Lavender
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What if they Date.? We are so lucky to even be able to afford to have tiles on the walls. Although I wouldn't use tiles in the shower again, I have had a wall board like very thick Laminex with the Subway look tiles in the bathroom for about 2 years now and it is so easy to clean with just mild dish washing detergent on a plastic no scratch cleaner, no more worrying about the tile grout ever again. Although tiles are not a problem in the kitchen, I love my kitchen tiles. I thank God for them.

• Barbara Dunstan
    4 years ago

I just love the way these threads come back to life again so others can have their say and new people to the site can also chip in!!

I think we're all getting a bit too philisophical about the topic at times, its just tiles and a particular shape that seems to dredge up such passion about them.

The question has been answered over and over again and the answers fall into two catagories, love them/hate them and at the end of the day what this thread has done is help others to decide if they like or dislike subways enough to use or not use them and that is a good thing as it's all about informed decisions.

• mizjayne
    3 years ago

And here we are 3 years later & people are still using subway tiles. I think of all tiles they will be the least dating, unlike bold patterns or colours. You instantly know the date of a orange or mustard laminate kitchen or a feature picture tile or a prissy boarder tile. I'm going subway on the bathroom walls & a mini hexagon on the floor, in the pattern that the Melbourne Town Hall bathrooms have. They still look chic 150 years later.