Houzz Logo Print
zaffa

Niche does not line up!!

zaffa
7 years ago
Ok, here is my big dilemma. During our framing stage we spent ages lining up our shower niches with the positioning of 60 x 60 tiles so that the grout lines would all line up and we would have minimal tile cuts. We thought we had it all worked out.
Our tiler came to the job today and advised that if we tile the walls to line up with the niches, the cuts of tiles around the shower base drain to allow for fall will not be perfectly centered. He has worked out the tiling cuts around the drain to be perfectly symmetrical.

I am so disappointed as I HATE niches that are not in line with grout lines and lead to uneven cuts into tiles.

The tiler says I can have the niche perfectly centered but the drain will not be; or the drain centered but not the niche. I'm leaning towards the niche being right as it's what you'll see as you walk into the ensuite - the shower floor will be behind a clear frameless shower screen.

What would you do? A third option is to forgo the niches altogether, have the shower base perfectly symmetrical, and install some funky chrome/glass shower shelves.

Your opinions are most welcome!! Thanks!

Comments (12)