Houzz Logo Print
christie_collis71

Beach shack revamp - need opinions!!

Christie C
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are about to embark upon a small facelift to our old fibro 70s beach shack (room changes, relocate entry door/front porch, paint job, walk in pantry, kitchen refurbish, studio build where current shed is and shed relocation) to help the house function for our growing young family for at least 10 years when we plan to gut and rebuild. I have thought about this for so long I fear I cannot see the forest for the trees!

Desperately Need help/ideas on the following:

1. Furniture/floor plan for very disfunctional open plan room (see pictures!) gas and water in kitchen can't move and neither can wood fire. Lots of glass, fireplace, walkways, great views to south but cold dark room... Needs to include a dining configuration, a 3 seater couch, big rug for playing/laying.

2. Layout of entry (door central or off centre?) to maximise any north light hat might come through into the big room, I would also like to place my old Miners lounge in the entry to sit in north light... And some sort of 'dump all' table for keys phones baby bags etc. thinking of a half wall separating dining from entry, I would like to build a bench seat for dining area and could make it a corner one against the half wall?

3. Colour scheme for exterior - painting walls and roof to get some more life form them - but must compliment the new studio being built! I love dark on dark with white trim however am not sure I can get away with it... Thinking Dulux domino for house walls and maybe studio in Monument colourbond but not sure on roof for both?

4. Lighting for kitchen/dining - I will do under-cabinet lights in kitchen but need task lighting over island and maybe dining table but he two jarrah beams running through that area make it so busy! Can't change to down lights as ceiling is asbestos... Can relocate pendants from current fittings or run lighting along beams but won't be central...

As you can see - big decisions and limited options! Thanks in advance for help!!

Comments (20)