Houzz Logo Print
anzella

Which dining table and chairs?

anzella
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all
I am trying to find a new dining table and chairs to fit my space.
My space flows from the lounge, dining and kitchen as one big space so it is often difficult to make sure it all flows
My options are freida table + encore chair
Or
London table + ashford chair
Or
Freida table + ashford chair
Or
Sven set
I am open to ideas!
Here is pictures of my current space [no rug or throws currently exist like they do in the photos]

Comments (47)

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here are the options
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sven set
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    It's all B/W you need timber table to add some interest and warmth in the place. I think you should match the style and colour to you mid century buffet, have a look at Oz design furniture they can match the colour and they have a huge selection.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

PS you could get a nice rug as well but make sure to choose the right size something that would have blue like your feature wall in it just a hint not all blue. You could keep your chairs if they are in good condition otherwise look at Elbow chairs it would suit your style.

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    You don't think all timber would be too much?? I thought it might dominant the space too much
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for your help! I did wonder if timber too close to the buffet would look silly but now you say it you could be right!!
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What this work?
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Or alternatively
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    I don't mind the first table but something more substantial would be nicer it looks to light, but colour is wrong.
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm now thinking this exact combination
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Ok get the rug as well and have a look at this chairs they are more comfortable and better quality.
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh they are nice, where are they from?
    I love the rug too, not sure if still available
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    The chair is Elbow chair you can google it it's sold at different shops at different price, don't go for cheapest. Here are some table ideas they are a bit heavier but still modern, the rug shouldn't be a problem to find but get the right size 2 X 3 m min.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    How many people do you want to seat at the table?
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Rug is still available from freedom 2x3m $900 if you join the club you get good discount.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    This is from Domayne
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    6 people.

No domayne where I live :(
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    O sorry I didn't ask , where do you live? You can do online shopping for most shops this days, but it's hard for chairs , you need to try it out.
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That's ok! North Queensland, so we are pretty limited here. My only real options are freedom and nick scali
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    This is from Nick Scali
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm not a fan of darker wood

I don't mind the middle one but I'm pretty sure I saw it in store and it was too yellow for my liking
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    Don't they have colour options, yes I don't like the colours just the shape usually you can choose the colour.
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I don't think so ...and if it's not in store I have to pay freight and is risky because I haven't actually seen the colour in person
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    I had a look at Freedom but they are nothing special and not all timber, it doesn't have to be big chain store I am sure there are small local manufacturers that make tables .
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

Have a look at Avenue table from Freedom it's classic goes with everything and is a nice timber but even that one is not 100% timber. You can have any chairs with it.

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Avenue is too red for me

I have seen architect in store so I think I'll get that one with black bucket chairs

Don't have a huge budget at the moment
  • KK1000
    7 years ago

Don't forget to check IKEA site , good choice and you can buy on line if you don't have one close by. If you are on a budget it's better then Freedom. We have some tables at work and chairs for last 10 years still looks good. These chairs have leather seats and are very comfortable.

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Awesome thanks!
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Timber table to match your sideboard, take a drawer or door with you to what ever retailer is near to you and see what you match

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What a great idea, how have I not thought of that, haha!
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Look forward to seeing photos of your choice, even try second hand stores for retro tables. good luck

• petapea
    7 years ago

A blonder wood table (similar colour to your sideboard) is going to look great against the tone of your lovely coloured wall. I like your idea of chairs with some black in them as well, will contrast with your light floors and still match in with your kitchen. Will look great!!! :-)

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thankyou both!! Will go into freedom on the weekend I think :D
  • Bernadette Staal
    7 years ago

First and foremost are the chairs comfortable and do you think what ever you select table and chairs are just a modern item that is going to date quickly or are they likely to be in fashion for many years. Comfort and Practicality would be on the top of my shopping list.

• hhbrodie
    7 years ago

There are a great deal of hard square edges in the area so I suggest going round or oval. Simple design too. Find the table and then do chairs that go with it.

• KK1000
    7 years ago

@anzella, did you go shopping last weekend, have you found something interesting?

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I didn't mind the idea of oval, but I feel like the one I saw was too retro looking.

I agree about all the square angles but I still got a rectangular table with rounded edges.
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I ended up going with this set. The chairs are comfortable, I know they may date quickly. But they were $100 each so I wasn't too concerned about upgrading them later. I wanted to get the rug too but budget wouldn't allow right now. I will post a photo once they arrive (6 week wait, ugh!)
  • anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I got the bigger size - 220cm x 90cm. Pictured is 160cm x 80cm which is far too small
  • jmarie10
    7 years ago

I think it's a perfect choice and goes well with your tall lamp also. I have similar chairs and they are fantastic and easy to keep clean and comfortable.

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh that's good to know! Thankyou!
  • PRO
    Gary Hamer Interior Design
    7 years ago

Hi Anzella. In addition to all of the suggestions, my focus would be on softening the space. You have a lot of hard finishes, so it's important to focus on the "feel" of the space, not just the look. I'd definitely go for a timber table in something like American oak (to match the cabinet) which will add warmth. I'd also incorporate some textural rugs - one under the dining table, one in the living room and a nice tribal kilim or runner to the side of the living/dining (looking towards the hallway) as a nice transitional addition. I'd also think about painting out the feature wall, as it just highlights things like the TV and air conditioner. You can add colour through one or two nice artworks instead. A lot of the furniture, rugs and artworks I source for clients in these situations are from trade agencies such as Globe West and Brave Design. Let me know if you need any help. I hope that's of some assistance.

• anzella
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Gary. Thanks for the info. I have been wanting to get some rugs for some time but have never found won I truly loved that was within budget! I find out so hard to visualize them in my space!

It annoys me about the air con and tv as well - unfortunately two things the modern house hold can't live without hey!

Thanks for your suggestions! :)
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi anzella, loving the new table and chairs, because you live in North QLD I wouldn't worry about a rug under the table, apart from you climate I find rugs under tables can become very annoying . If however you do decide to have one down the track, Sisal Rugs are great for your climate, you can even make your own to whatever size by buying the sisal and edging it yourself or getting a carpet place to overlock the edges. Some years ago I made two very large rugs and edged them with a wide black tape, I stitched them by hand, loved them in the dining and joining living room.What a shame you can't have the hanging lamp in the picture over your table, not sure if it would fit between your ceiling fans. cheers

https://www.dealsdirect.com.au/product.aspx?saleID=1774c795-993e-4615-afbc-f53a2e1dcab3&productID=ojiuDsjunkG1Vz9n7zBrLQ&sc=7&c=12&mkwid=siJYklREw_dc&pcrid=189771976719&pkw=&pmt=&product=ojiuDsjunkG1Vz9n7zBrLQ_6xX6Gc4vLkKMpQtba7S3jw&gclid=CjwKEAjwoLfHBRD_jLW93remyAQSJABIygGp4cKCQmlURqkE4IbUxZFOwwVQKSQHTM9Fx7Xllv1FvRoCWqrw_wcB

• pascoeyvonne
    7 years ago

It needs timber to give some warmth to the room, such as one of the tables you have chosen and Ashford chairs. This timber should match the existing buffet.

• PRO
    Jason Nonnis
    6 years ago

Great topic, have a similar looking space & all these ideas are great!