Houzz Logo Print
julie_s10

Help for my Master Bedroom please

Herbert Malachi
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I need help for my master bedroom. I have a few pieces I love and want to keep but don't know how to pull it all together... any suggestions greatly appreciated! What has to stay... charcoal carpet, cream walls, white woodwork trim and the king size bed. Everything else could go, however there are a few things I would like to keep if possible... 1.The upholstered chair (I just really love it),

1. The 3 framed drawings above the bed (sentimental value, I bought them home from France years ago),

3.The gold silk dupion curtains (were very expensive and great for keeping the room dark in the early morning),

Everything else could go. The bedspread was expensive and still as good as new so if it could be worked into it that would be great. I really would love to have the upholstered chair as the feature of the room, where it is positioned now it’s the first thing you see when you walk in and I like that.

Some pics were taken with the curtains closed, and looks like the curtains dominate the room, however when they are open the curtains look lovely. The entrance door to the room is beside the bed (the side with the bird lamp), but down a little hallway, and along that same wall are the two doors to the ensuite and walkinrobe. I have 2 of the bird lamps (matching) but thought that might be too much so have only put one in the room, can add the other if you think (or remove both!) Any ideas at all please?!

Comments (23)

• Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    you have some stunning pieces, chair in its position with reindeer skin is gorgeous, definately 2 lamps, look at making your bedding a little more chunky, fold down bedspread add some euros for height, more pillows would give a welcoming look, pick up colours in your chair and add a few gold ones also and a chunky throw, lovely, lovely room.
    Herbert Malachi thanked Julie Herbert
  • scottevie
    6 years ago

A bed head to echo the timber or upholstery of the armchair and perhaps a richer paint colour to 'warm' the room up

Herbert Malachi thanked scottevie
  • Related Discussions

HELP! Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Keerthi still in Engineers hands at this stage but we are getting close to a design, it will be tight and we have now sqeezed a tub in as well, Ill be sure to post one day when finished.
    ...See More

Need help for my bedroom!!! please...any ideas will help

Q

Comments (4)
    Can you do anything with shelves on the blank or door walls? Are the cupboards a built in wardrobe, or is there capacity to put your chest of drawers contents either on shelves or in baskets in the cupboards? Is there room for a freestanding hanging rack of some sort if there is no wardrobe hanging option? Pics would help!
    ...See More

Need help redecorating master bedroom

Q

Comments (34)
    Thanks everyone who offered advice. I've attached 2 pics of the almost finished project. Can't show the bed as the picture isn't up yet - my partner went to clean some mildew off the ceiling, didn't secure the A frame ladder and only wearing thongs almost severed his big toe when it collapsed underneath him. So a warning to all! Please don't get up ladders that have not been locked or wear unsafe footwear. The mirror and rug were from Gumtree and I made the curtains myself (thank you Spotlight for a sale on curtain fabric). We're very happy with the results (apart from the hospital visit involved). Statement light fitting also needed at some point.
    ...See More

How can I make my tiny master bedroom work?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'd break it up by doing a feature wall behind the headboard , as siriuskey says , but I wouldn't go dark . Without knowing your tastes , how about wallpaper with oversized green and yellow leafy plants -- bright and cheerful and modern . If your style is more traditional , maybe burgundy with gold scrolls , or burnt orange and cream vertical stripes , or pink Playboy bunny ears ( see , I might know your taste haha ) . And to double down , add a large abstract painting in different but complimentary colours , trowelled on in places or effect . Then a plain but complimentary duvet ( dooner ) cover . The focus will be on the walls , not the space .
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Master Constructions Australia
    6 years ago

Black velvet padded bedhead would look nice and definitely needs at least 5 cushions! 2 Euros, 2 normal size and one feature cushion. A nice gold frame mirror somewhere to complement all the other gold items would also go.

Herbert Malachi thanked Master Constructions Australia
  • Susan Ballard
    6 years ago
    This room will never look good with all the restrictions you have placed It needs a complete redo by a stylist
  • Julie Herbert
    6 years ago

Hi Julie, as I commented before you have some beautiful pieces, I think a little tweeking is all you need, dress your bed in a more designer look, throws, cushions (check out Adairs or Linen house) for inspiration, add your lamps , your beautiful chair , and your view and you will have a gorgeous room.

• Bianca Castafiore
    6 years ago

The chair needs something beside it, maybe a simple side table with a candle etc. on it, maybe a floor mirror with a frame to echo the pictures behind the bed but wider. The look you need to go for is eclectic

Herbert Malachi thanked Bianca Castafiore
  • geebe27
    6 years ago
    it is all very lovely to start with. Just need to bring in extra colours.
    add pillows and cushion and maybe a throw on your bed from the tones from your chair. ie. pinks, blues, yellows and you need some black to anchor it.
    Could you paint your bed side tables black or very dark grey.
    I agree with the other commenter about a covered bed head. It helps to anchor the room. A soft velvet in a grey would help to relate to those memories from France above your bed. Their gold frame link to your silk curtains, which link to the yellow in your beautiful chair.
    I would remove the reindeer skin, it's a little confused in the space. but you could bring in something by your chair like a beautiful cut gumtree log. to place a book on for reading. The log stool would then relate to your outdoor veiw. which is amazing by the way.
    Herbert Malachi thanked geebe27
  • Herbert Malachi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello all!

Julie Herbert, thank you for your advice. I have folded back the bedspread and borrowed 2 euros from another bedroom, also I have 2 very small blue velvet cushions which were in my lounge, I have added those and borrowed a knitted throw from my sons bed, its navy but might give the idea. Photos are attached. Its definitely looking better, thank you. I will obviously need to get a blanket and sheet set which matches so they will look better folded back What colours would you suggest for the blanket/sheets?

scottevie, Thank you, I will work on a bedhead, thinking of a fabric padded one to echo the padded back of the armchair, how high would you recommend it to be? I hauled the one from my daughters bed in there so see how it looked, its just a double so way too small, but gives the idea.. definitely looking better?

Master Constructions Australia, thanks for the bedhead advice, the double bedhead I have put there is black velvet but I am thinking it may be too much in the kingsize? I was thinking of a very simple geometric black and cream print to echo the stripe in the arms of the chair? What do you think? Also do you think I need more than the 2 euros? the bed is so wide you see lots of space between and beside them. Love the idea of a gold framed mirror somewhere, what do you think about a big one leaning against the wall beside the chair like suzannekingon suggested?

Jen Osborne, thanks for your kind words and advice! And also the great pic you posted with your suggestions, how do you do that? I like the black/white stripe cushion, do you think the black edged euros I have borrowed give the same effect?

p09op0, thank you for your advice. I'm not sure what to do about the bedside tables, I painted them white years ago over the top of an stainedestapol finish and they are very chipped and the paint has literally peeled off the top of one (you can see it in the last pic), so they would be a big job to redo as I think they would need to be taken back to the timber for the paint to stick properly. We really don't need such big bedside tables and the one against the window is jammed in there so I was wondering about maybe changing them for less bulky ones? What do you think? Also I love the idea of the gumtree log... do you mean one standing upright? and would you leave it natural timber?

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions, please tell me what you think now I have added these photos?

• Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    wow Julie, love how you are putting it all together, makes such a difference with larger pillows on your bed, play around with your colours , you have such a beautiful room to work with, just love your chair , it is such a showstopper, you mention about your bedside tables, maybe floating shelves would not take up too much room and they are very popular at the moment, love how you are enjoying your project, love black and white pillow Jen recommended, would highlight that fab chair.
  • Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    just further , I am excited as you putting your room together, probably a white doona, your black and white euros would work with that black and white pillow, and gold pillow, maybe a gorgeous fur throw would be beautiful, you could go black for a real luxe look.
  • geebe27
    6 years ago
    it is looking great so far. I love how your black and white euro pillows pick up on the black and white stripes on your chair arm.

yes an upright sawn off log. left natural or slightly buffed to a low sheen.

you could put a dark peice of glass on the top of your bed side tables. or buy new ones if your budget allows. With the detailing on the bed it really pulls focus which is what you want, so the bed side tables don't really need that much attention.
    Herbert Malachi thanked geebe27
  • Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

It's looking so much better already!

Maybe you can find some night tables in the same wood than the chair ?

Herbert Malachi thanked Jen Osborne
  • ddmarshall2012
    6 years ago

Hi there Julie, I've come into this conversation very late, but am impressed at what you have already achieved. My initial thought upon seeing your gorgeous chair was to introduce the gorgeous navy - even on the walls. It would create a real dramatic and glamorous look especially with the light from the chandeliers. Cushions and bed throws all need to be coordinated (as you are planning).. velvet is perfect as it works with the signature chair. Check out the pics below for velvet and dark blue accented rooms.

Herbert Malachi thanked ddmarshall2012
  • PRO
    In-home Design Technologist
    6 years ago

this gorgeous fabric Shangrila would work a treat with the peacock chair as bed cushions!

Herbert Malachi thanked In-home Design Technologist
    6 years ago
    I have a king size bed and use 3 Euro pillows as the backdrop for my cushions. Perfect size and don't need a bed head at all.
    Herbert Malachi thanked 94236633
  • Herbert Malachi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello all and thanks for your further help. I probably didn't make it clear, but the black and white euros and other cushions and the throw on the bed were only borrowed from other rooms to see what they looked like... so if anyone knows of anything similar which would suit and is available in Australia please let me know! I do have a piece of the black/white stripe from upholstering the armchair arms left over which I could use, I wondered about doing the top edge of a blanket with it to fold back?

• Herbert Malachi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the idea of introducing more navy, but we are saving up for an extension so don't really want to spend money on the existing walls as one (or more) will go when we extend. So I will look around for a navy throw for the bed instead.

• Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

Actually I saw a really nice one at Kmart for $29 !! Something that looks like it might be from freedom, soft quilted cotton.

Herbert Malachi thanked Jen Osborne
  • Herbert Malachi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks Jen, we have a Kmart close by so will see if they still have it.

• Herbert Malachi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have been looking on Houzz and got a couple of ideas for the bedside tables (without spending anything!) .. Please let me know your opinions on the following...

1. Attack the existing ones with a sander and take off half of the white paint, exposing the dark brown underneath, and making them look like they are meant to be shabby.

2. Take them both out of the room and replace with a stack of vintage suitcases on the door side and an old weathered timber folding chair on the window side (got these in storage so wouldn't cost anything!). The chair would have to have something on top like a box to hide the usual bedside table clutter in, I guess.

3. Any other suggestions? Don't want to spend any money here if I can help it! I have access to plenty of old pallets which people seem to make amazing things out of but don't know if that would be too rustic in this room?

• Jen
    6 years ago

I would stay clear of the shabby chic and palette look, the vibe of your room is a lot more sophisticated.

I like the idea of only sanding back the top of the night stand back to wood. Otherwise Gumtree and vinnies are your best friends !

Herbert Malachi thanked Jen
  • philippawright
    6 years ago

Hello,

I feel black is too hard in this room so I would change the light shade.

The blue in the chair is quite hard on the scheme.- Replacing the blue with a cerise pink or more of a peacock blue green would work better.

Perhaps you could use the bedside table over by the chair and could pick up the black and white in the repainting of the table.

The rug looks better on the bed than by the chair.

Herbert Malachi thanked philippawright