Houzz Logo Print
emma_dockery

Tiny Home Kitchen - How would you design?

Emma Dockery
6 years ago

Hi there,

I just brought my first apartment and it is tiny. Just 33 square meters!

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to redesign the kitchen to maximise the tiny space in there. It is 1700 x 2000.

Cooking is almost impossible due to the lack of bench space and the fridge looks so large, it looms over the whole living area.

Has anyone had a similar design problem?

Maybe found a kitchen system which is narrower than 60cm deep?

Help! It is destroying all my pinterest interior dreams!

Thanks so much!

Comments (24)

• JE C
    6 years ago

Hi, please can you post a pick of the living/dining area or plan of current furniture layout as that may open up some other ideas. cheers

Janet

• JE C
    6 years ago

Also, is the main problem aesthetics, lack of bench space or lack or storage - what are the priorities? I think it might be good to get the fridge to the back wall (in the picture) to stop it from dominating so much visually in the living area, but that may not be good for the usability of the kitchen space.

Emma Dockery thanked JE C
  • Related Discussions

Would you consider building a home using Passive Solar Design?

Q

Comments (50)
    After I had finished my Archi Masters I was working for an architecture firm who also did a small amount of work for a volume builder. They were actually a pretty good quality builder and at least got the orientation of their 'pre-designed' plans correct. We had the ability to make minor changes to every job and it pained me to see so many simple to implement passive options not being incorporated. Had most of their clients known that they would be saving MONEY over the longterm by making a few minor changes to suit their site, they all would have done it. The problem is unless someone can sell this idea to them as a financial/lifestyle choice, many just think it is about saving the world. It is a no-brainer if you have in interest in it, but for those who don't know, there is no-one there selling it to them, especially on the lower end of the market.
    ...See More

Would you rather: a designer kitchen or in-house cook?

Q

Comments (4)
    This was a hard choice :-) the thought of someone cooking for me and I learning from them nearly won me over but I really need a new kitchen as I am still working with the old kitchen that came with the house that my parents bought. dad and I are looking at building our own kitchen so I have been collecting ideas into a folder that we both like and once we are settled on the design then we are going to build it ourselves :-)
    ...See More

Meet YardPod - A Tiny House Design Providing Affordable Architecture

Q

Comments (2)
    A great idea for office, studio etc. However, regarding West Australian council regulations. You still need council approval for a garden shed, if it is more than 10 square metres. Therefore your mini pod will still require approval. Seems an expensive addition to back yard for $67500, without a bathroom or kitchen.
    ...See More

How would you extend a house next to this house?

Q

Comments (17)
    As an aside I'm surprised as a southern neighbour that your neighbour's extension was deemed compliant with side setbacks regulations- it's quite imposing isn't it... My advice is that your extension in terms of style should have absolutely no influence from the neighbour, rather it needs to follow and draw direct reference and cues( in regards to scaling and articulation) from exclusively you own residence, which recall from a previous post is an impressive Federation frontage. Think about the flows of the spaces - probably on balance better to keep it as per the layout you have developed, rather than flip alfresco & living - a southern alfresco space boxed in by a pool that will be even more overshadowed is less ideal - better for an alfresco to connect directly to rear yard
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

just a quick idea if you can get power to the other side and make sure you can open your fridge not sure what size it is, most likely best if it can swing back towards the sink. Keep sink in current place but reverse the drain and tub.

But the simple way would be to reverse what I have drawn thus keeping the cooktop in the same position, saves money as well. Over head cupboards for crockery , you could even have a single F&P dish drawer with pot draw underneath this would help to keep the kitchen clear. The narrow shelves/ pantry could be recessed back into the wall for extra depth to store food stuff The sliding door photo below reminds me of your new apartment, looks lovely cheers

Emma Dockery thanked siriuskey
  • juliahocking
    6 years ago

Emma

Congratulations on your new home. Have fun creating a nest for yourself.

Would you consider changing the fridge for an under bench model It would mean more frequent trips to the supermarket, but it would free up some much- needed bench space.

A breakfast bar extending 600mm into the dining space (parallel with the sink wall, & beside the refrigerator) could give you an eating space as well as extra bench space-also storage underneath! Then you wouldn't necessarily need a table&chairs setting, & all the space could then be living space.

Some shelves above the sink would be a lovely display area to look at as you enter your home.

A built-in wall of storage on the lefthand side of the living space would allow you to keep possessions tidy & maybe place the TV. Then you only need a chair or two!!

Hope this gives you some ideas to think about.

Julia

Emma Dockery thanked juliahocking
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Even add a sliding door that can close across for both bedroom and kitchen

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    I agree with siriuskey's plan, make sure you make corner cabinet useful and make overhead cabinets all the way to the ceiling (no dust and grime to collect on the top) . The sliding door would give illusion of more space in the bedroom and add interest to the apartment specially if you paint it interesting colour or clad it with gloss Laminex.
    Emma Dockery thanked KK1000
  • User
    6 years ago

Congratulations Emma! Great work getting your foot into the property market.

Take your time. This is an inoffensive kitchen. Assuming it all 'works'. I'd leave it till I can afford an architect or interior designer to come in and look at the whole apartment. Due to the size, I think it is impossible to consider 1 space without looking at adjoining spaces. All cabinetry in a kitchen like this will likely need to be custom-made anyway to maximize the space, this will increase costs.

The other issue is the Strata. You may need their approval to move plumbing, remove tiles or move electrical.

Don't give up your Pinterest dreams!, but know the reality behind those dreams is often teams of professionals and $$$.

Emma Dockery thanked User
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

the biggest drawback with the existing kitchen would be using a standard upright fridge and being right handed: for a right handed user consider a reversed L shaped counter with drop in sink, cooktop and separate under bench fridge and oven placed to allow for a 90cm corner cabinet, wall cabinets all round and bookshelves (IKEA Billy?) across the end wall of the living area for combined kitchen dining and living storage,..

Emma Dockery thanked oklouise
  • Edith Martins
    6 years ago
    siruiskey plan is the best option. but I wouldn't have the shelves on the left wall, instead return the bench to make u shape and give you another workspace / breakfast bar. get a smaller thinner fridge. you should still be able to put cupboards above fridge, all back wall and along right wall. just don't make it too deep, very narrow will stop it looking too stuffy, or maybe open shelves in some parts.
    Emma Dockery thanked Edith Martins
  • Emma Dockery
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write with your incredible ideas.

There are some brilliant thoughts in there, which I have never considered and I have been thinking about this non-stop since I moved in in August (waking up in sweats at 2am and frantically google imaging "tiny kitchens")!

It is so amazing to think that there is such a generous community of people out there who are willing to help you with your design conundrums!

Initially I had planned to put the fridge into the back wall and extend out from there very like siriuskey's plan (picture attached). But because the apartment was built in 1986, the amount of rewiring for putting power into a concrete wall on the right was prohibitive. So I think I need to stay in the same basic footprint.

My next thought was to divide the kitchen into two (because there is a big dead space in the left hand corner). And have a wall oven and breakfast bar with an under counter fridge (terrible drawing attached). This way the living space isn't eaten away. But I just heard back from the electrician and even this small move will require new circuits being added. Hmmmmm. WHY GOD WHY?!

So I am back to the drawing board, I was hoping to keep the cost around 7k as it is such a small space. But I didn't realise (which is totally a baby renovator mistake) just how much plumbers / electricians / builders would be (i'm a naive idiot... but trying to learn fast!).

Thanks again for all your suggestions... you ladies are rockstars!

Em. x

• JE C
    6 years ago

Don't worry Em, I think we all made that mistake! :(

Emma Dockery thanked JE C
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Em, there's always a hic cup but with the right tradies these can be sorted. My first thought was to run everything along the R/H wall but the second and best thought would be to run along the L/H as the power for the oven cook top is already available and much cheaper to keep it in that position, that would mean you would also have a power at the end of that bench.

The power point on the back wall could be used for a full sized fridge (which I think is important it doesn't have to be the biggest on you can fit) and dishwasher. Your sparky should be able to run power from this power point connection via an electrical conduit below the cabinets, in the kick board space or other to power these appliances . I think that perhaps he didn't want the job, too small and not enough money in it, call another sparky or two, don't mention what the first has said you might be pleasantly surprised, look forward to the outcome cheers

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    I completely agree with previous comment, get anew electrician and don't go for small under bench fridge, have you ever used one , they are hopeless even if you don't cook much you need space for fruits , drinks, milk , lite&easy and etc. look for people that have "can do " attitude.
    Emma Dockery thanked KK1000
  • Edith Martins
    6 years ago
    having looked at the actual photo instead of the plan, I can see none of the suggested plans would work even without the issues of new wiring. the suggested plans were not to scale. unless you wanted very narrow cupboards. what I would suggest is if you can move the stove where the draws are. then put in a corner lower and uppers. at least it won't have a dead corner any longer. the fridge will have to stay where it is. not because of wiring but because there is no room on that back wall. moving the sink to a corner sink on left side is going to be a bigger headache unless the plumbing isn't directly below. then the fridge (very skinny one) could fit there.
  • Edith Martins
    6 years ago
    depending on what the plumbing is like . and yes wiring can be placed under kick boards or under cupboards.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

As we can see by the photo or plan there's no getting away from it,
    it's a very small kitchen,, if the return is on the right wall as per my
    rough sketch the plumbing would remain in that corner( with possibly a
    corner sink) in a corner base unit (no dead space), the power for both
    cook top and oven would have to be via a conduit via a small channel
    chiseled across the floor, like we had to do.

If the kitchen
    return was to run along the left wall likewise the plumbing can be run
    along the back of the cupboards, a plumber can explain how this is done.

The
    freestanding oven would be removed and moved along replaced with a cook
    top and under bench oven still using the same power out let.Both
    ideas would have overhead cupboards with corner return units including a
    small re circulating extraction unit built in above the cooktop.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Your new kitchen could have lovely simple lines like this photo to make it feel more spacious

Minus the sliding doors but with over head cupboards

• User
    6 years ago

Love your suggestion above siriuskey.

We live in a reasonably tight space also, and what we've learned is that you can make them 'work hard' for you, if you rethink them as multi-use spaces. It also means making some tough decisions/compromises. In your case, I'd be looking at potentially pulling the kitchen out of the little niche and running it galley-style along the entry wall. In the 'niche'/sink wall perhaps a double commercial under-bench fridge (glass fronted??), may give you better storage and still benchtop for prepping

The benchtop would run as an L-shape kitchen. I'd then try and integrate a part of the galley-kitchen into a little bench area to eat at, to do away with the need for a table and chairs. You can get under-cabinet pull down TV's for when you have your breakfast in the morning. It would free up the living area for a decent sofa.

Looking at this space I think you obviously need to maximise function, but also try to create a sense-of-space.

Emma Dockery thanked User
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Emma & Mel, the space is small, I liken it to a Studio apartment. Emma I know your budget is approx $7, which is also small but you could work on getting an overall plan and do it in stages, leaving wall cupboards as stage two, the fridge would be built in so that when the door is opened you would see the end panel. I have made a suggestion to make a large opening between the living bedroom spaces divided by large sliding door/doors this would give a much better use and allow the bedroom window to be seen and see through. It's a very rough drawing and measurements to be confirmed. Your apartment has lovely high ceilings to work with as well, are you in Australia? Photo ideas following

The last three photos show a moveable bench and stools which you could do, or you can buy tables that convert between bench/table and coffee table height, I purchased one from freedom some years ago, great for small spaces with multiple uses

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

This one for Mel

Another idea keeping sink and cook top/oven in the same position, with wall cabinets above, the fridge is built in and could a intergrated panel to match the kitchen cabinets

• PRO
    Emma Dockery thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

hi Emma just wondering where you are at with your new home cheers

• vtlady52
    4 years ago

Hi, I know this is a long time after your first notes but I can't help but comment.

I love the idea of the shallow wall that goes to the ceiling with a ladder. We lived in a home where the refrigerator was outside on the porch due to lack of space. With very few cupboards, I did a couple shelving units built between studs like that. I measured the height of each shelf away from the one above it with my canned foods. Turned out great and it is amazing how much those 2 little shelves could hold.

I also want to say that I don't know building codes in your country but I agree that you should get at least 3 other quotes. With a concrete wall you can put electrical in that area. You can just have them use metal, electrical conduit. It does show (toe kick works, too!) but it is very non-invasive and should be cheaper.

I really love the kitchen that Edith Martins posted. It is such a little gem. I can just picture myself working in that lovely place.

Go slowly with your renovations. Listen to all thoughts and suggestions. In the end, this is your money you are spending and your home, so be sure to do what makes you happy.

Lastly, there is NO box that you have to work within. Look online, watch Tiny House shows, go to architectural websites for ideas. Do YOUR thing. And, please post pictures when you are done! Best.