Houzz Logo Print
jacintamchugh

Need help with my luxury holiday rentals floor plan!

jacintamchugh
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Houzzers!

Hoping to get some advice on plans my builder has quickly drawn for 2 x 3 bed luxury
family friendly Hamptons style holiday rentals I am building in Marysville, VIC
(see photo I am trying to emulate).

Downstairs has 1 master with ensuite and window seat, large mudroom off carport, open
lounge & kitchen (with kitchen nook). Upstairs: another master with ensuite &
balcony, bunk room with playroom (sleeps 6), main bathroom with bath and
separate toilet.

North is to the front with views so want the lounge & kitchen to face the front
with doors out to the backyard on the west which will be enclosed. Entry is off
the verandah to the left. This was the only option I could see where the front
door would still face the front. I don’t like the idea of having the entry
directly into the lounge kitchen but if someone could come up with another
option that would be awesome!

Builder has stairs in the middle that you can walk under to the kitchen but the lounge
and kitchen seem very disjointed and too far away from each other? I really
don’t need these rooms to take up so much space but can’t work out how this could
flow better?

We
initially had the lounge and kitchen flipped with kitchen nook on north east
corner which would be great for morning sun but is it weird to go out through
the lounge to the backyard?

Trying
to keep below 200sqm all up; including porch and carport. Each block is 20m
wide x 24m long. The houses will be mirror images both facing the road (north)
with a driveway in between leading to a carport directly on the south
boundary. Setback is 9m but porch can encroach.

Also,
are 3 toilets enough for 10 people? Perhaps need the toilet in the ensuite
downstairs to be able to be accessed from the hallway? Is 3 showers overkill?

Thanks
so much, would love some feedback especially from some pros!!

Jacinta

Comments (56)

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Siriuskey, love your nooks! Do you think it will be strange to go though the lounge to get outside? I was envisioning huge open doors to the outside for indoor outdoor flow but can't see that this will work. I do like your idea of the kitchen to the east with the back of the galley to the east and the nook off this on the north east. i was planning to have a gas log fire with a Tv above and built ins either side. Where would you put this? Perhaps on the north west corner with the back facing west and windows with seats either side like the photo attached? Then doors between this and a step up to the L part of the lounge? Sorry can't seem to pick up from my pins!

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks LesleyH, have done my sums and we should be able to charge quite a decent amount for the weekend (2 night min in all of Marysville). Even if we only have 50% occupancy of just weekends we should be able to cover our costs. Any more weekends and weekday bookings will be a bonus :) Have no plans to sell them but will make sure they function as proper 3 bed houses and will be eventually subdividing to increase value and in case I need to sell one or both if things go pear shaped ;) I plan to use Little Hotelier or something similar for bookings but not sure whether to use one of their template websites or my own, what do you think?

• Related Discussions

Need some creative help for my floor plans please

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi there Victoria, Just trying to add a few more ideas, with a separate Pantry/Landry cupboard (this can easily be ducted and when the doors are closed very quite). Fridge and appliances all along the wall, the island can be what ever size you would prefer. It would also be nice to have a computer desk next to the kitchen by the window. I would also prefer the living area off the sliding doors to the alfresco area Bedroom 4 could have full height sliding doors coming together at the corner this can be close off or left open for times when extra space is needed for the family. And built in Wardrobes in the master would work best, just have something that blends in and looks special.
    ...See More

Help with the design of a small holiday house

Q

Comments (63)
    my suggestion are based on the fact that mum and dad are usually at the house alone and aims for simple two person accommodation that can be rearranged to suit a crowd...the kitchen cabinets are the only fixed objects in the room and include a tall pantry, base cabinets and/or drawers with open shelves and wall cabinets and space for several people to work side by side with a small extendable dining table, two chairs and a bench seat (also used as a place for newspaper and lamp etc behind the recliners)...a patio with big table for outdoor eating under the shade of the tree with extra bench seats that can also be used inside... there's space for a small divan or night and day lounge with a wall hung tv and the corner bedroom door allows for much better circulation space in both the living and bedrooms with preferably a sliding glass door for indoor outdoor connection with or without the original front door and, based on the size of king single beds, there's no other arrangement that would allow both beds to have a view to the lake and there's just enough space for a biw, small desk and two chairs
    ...See More

Critique my proposed floor plan for granny flat

Q

Comments (11)
    simply put - massively pushing the functional envelope in such tight/small limits. To achieve this you have to seriously limit/streamline flow/access points and maximise any wall space. So for example the only window into the kitchen really should be say a splashback window. The double access into the kitchen/living is a luxury in context - something has to give here otherwise you'll end up with something that ticks boxes but in reality is not actually very usable .......recommend you check out some Japanese & northern European work to see how this type of thing can be achieved effectively/cleverly when space is limited....possibly here you may be best to consider a living/kitchen/bedroom setup that is functionally zoned/separated with strategic furniture/joinery placement, simple kitchen at one end and bathroom the only "room" created within existing structure.......remember, depending upon existing conditions and what the ultimately outcome it can sometimes be false economy rearranging/re-using elements when you'll get a better bang for buck by popping out a little here and there to free up certain details for certain functional gains......good luck! PD
    ...See More

Please Help Houzzers! Need some opinions on my 3 bed holiday rental!

Q

Comments (18)
    I'am thinking that I might have this around the wrong way but it can be reversed. My thoughts for your holiday accommodation in beautiful popular Marysville, You will have accommodation for, two couples. ?singles and two families with two plus kids. If I'am going away as two couples or families would want the QB rooms to offer the same fit out, ie: both with ensuite, which I would do as wet rooms, I don't want to flip a coin seeing that I'am paying 50%! The kids Bunk room could sleep 8 or 7 with a cupboard under one of the bunks, the kids will have a ball sharing, windows would be long narrow ones. The living dining kitchen has heaps of seating/ or naps with using built in seating along two walls The verandah, needed sit down to remove skis which can double as storage, these would reflect the indoor window seats, Banquette seating
    ...See More
  • jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Siriuskey, do you think the rest of the layout works?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

hi Jancinta, our 4 Villas/Studios are strata Plan so able to be sold separately we bought them 15 yrs ago.

We have a website and use Little Hotelier, we used Burgundy Sky as did our good friends for Website

Our good friends bought and developed a property in Victoria at the same time "Bear Gully Coastal Cottages" 4 cottages plus the " rookery" , they have recently sold the 4 cottages and the rookery, but retained their house and sheds.

One thing that does concern me is the dual access driveway, some don't care if they block the driveway, is there a chance that you have parking available in front of the houses? cheers for now

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey, good to know Little Hotelier works, I'll check out Burgundy Sky. Funny, just talking through the driveway with my builder, I think we might need to have it double width for that reason. A small park at the front might work too seeing as we have a decent amount of setback... thanks

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi oklouise, this is what I'm thinking but probably not the round window ;)

• PRO
    READY 2 LIST
    6 years ago

Hi jacintamchugh,

What an exciting project to be working on! I'm actually heading to Marysville for the weekend tomorrow. It will be my first time visting there!

I think that you definitely need another loo downstairs, as the guests won't want to be tramping through the master suite or running upstairs.

I'm also thinking that you could do without the second front door that is near the master suite, and just have the one that's off the lounge room. Then move the stairs into that spot so that they are out of the way, make the master bigger, or add a powder room there?

I had a look on an American site called House Plans. They have some really great house plans that include mud rooms. I've pasted a couple below they may help you. These houses are a different size and shape to yours, but they may help you with the flow from outside, to the mud room, kitchen etc.

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ready 2 List, yep daunting but very exciting! Ooh, you will love Marysville, so beautiful! Where are you staying? Not sure I like the idea of coming straight into the lounge/kitchen with no real entry? Too far from the car port?

• PRO
    READY 2 LIST
    6 years ago

We're staying at the Vibe Hotel. Can't wait!

You will have access to the house through the mud room from the carport at the rear of the house, so I think that is ok. What about something like the picture you posted? To keep symmetry to the front, you could have a big window in the middle, the door to the left, and a window to the right the same size as the door? That way you could shift your stairs to the left, have an entry way on the left that leads to the lounge and to the stairs?

I'll try to draw it up quickly to show you.

jacintamchugh thanked READY 2 LIST
  • PRO
    READY 2 LIST
    6 years ago

This is a rough 5 minute sketch just to show what I mean by adding an entry to the left. I hope you can see the changes ok. I'd still like to squeeze a powder room in somewhere.

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah cool thanks for that, will have a good look tomorrow. Builder initially had another powder room under the stairs but I kinda wanted to make this into a cool kids play room

• PRO
    READY 2 LIST
    6 years ago

Or what about something like entry with a powder room to one side and the stairs to the other, that then leads to the lounge? I think that would take a long more reshuffling of all the other rooms though.

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone, will have s good look when I get into work...

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jacinta, just having another look at ideas, I do wonder about the Mudroom laundry being at the rear of the property and guests having to drive past the main entrance to get to this. This part of my concern with one shared driveway accessing battleaxe style parking, some guests can have the attitude of I'am alright and not give a hoot or consideration to other guests. (that's part of why I thought to move the kitchen)

I can see that your guests will stop at the main entrance and unload on to the verandah, ski's and all and then on into the house. Perhaps your mud room position should be re considered and moved into the now front entrance, the large verandah would be a boon for those returning from walks or skiing. (this comes from 15 yrs experience and many others in the travel industry)

I agree that a separate toilet downs stairs is a must.

Marysville is a beautiful area, we spent some time at Macedon. Check out one of my favourite Vic hoilday destinations every laid back and full of charm http://www.orchardkeepers.com.au/

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I'am guessing that your builder has had a lot of input, as I wonder at the Master bed being to the rear and beside the driveway with the carport and access behind it, your bay window would hang out over the driveway with no view. Do you have any views cheers

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey, yes the views are to the north and east, so that is why the master is where it is with the bay window. My thoughts were that people would be driving straight in from Lake Mountain and then offloading in the carport and straight into the mudroom. They would have to drive as Marysville is quite a bit away from the snow fields. Can't see where else the carport can go? Thought south aspect was best for the carport. Most people that come up would actually be hiring their ski's and then dropping them back. Was planning on having something at the back of the carport for storage for skis etc if they do bring them... I think I will need a double width driveway so. Need 9m between the houses anyway due to overshadowing. Wow, the Orchard Keeper is lovely!

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there,

You did mention that there might possibly be space in front of the houses for carport as I do think the unloading will happen via the front entrance, easier access for guests than having to park around the back, ski storage yes same as surf board storage.. did you think to buy a couple of timber houses and have them relocated to your property. This company recently moved "Wynola" to our area

http://houseremovals.com.au/property/wynola-house/

Beautiful old house cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

This land had 3 stunning studios on it until they were burnt down, the owners were furniture designers/makers I believe, very sad for everyone

https://www.realestateview.com.au/real-estate/24-kings-road-marysville-vic/property-details-sold-residential-6190661/

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much Ready 2 List for your plans. As the views are to the north and east, I think I need to make the most of the light and views in this corner. This was the reason for moving the entry to the left at the back of the verandah. My builder says it would be best to have the stairs in the middle so that it works better with upstairs?

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey, I think it would detract too much from the facade to have the carport at the front? I understand what you are saying but I do think it will work best with the block to have them on the south boundary. I need to minimise my length on the block and I can have the carport right on the boundary but not the house ;)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

perhaps simple joined carports between both houses

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is what I was thinking about oklouise

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks siriuskey, something to think about ;) will have a chat with my builder. I still think it would be lovely to have the master downstairs with a bay window looking out to the views but need to double check with my builder that it will actually get a view! The thinking behind having the carports in behind the houses was that it would leave room for another tandem park in behind. I do need 2 carparks. I could have another one in the set back but not sure if it would look better as just garden...

• Gallifrey
    6 years ago

I would not leave it to a builder to design the houses. You get a much better result if you, the builder and an architect collaborate. You are spending too much money not to get the best design possible.

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey, have been thinking about what you said about people coming in through the entry with their ski things. The master where it is probably will only have a view of the driveway So what about swapping the master and the mudroom? Master with French doors out to the backyard on the west and this means the mudroom would have accesss off the front entry as well as from the carport? This means I can move the entry back giving more room for the kitchen either backing onto the east or south wall and have more room for my nook in the north east corner. What do you think? Not sure how to resolve the entry to the master though...

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jacinta, I agree that could work better including separating the Mud room and laundry storage spaces. You will need lockable storage to store linen, soap, tea coffee etc and it makes sense to me to have the mud room for skis etc at the front entrance which is where everyone will enter your lovely house

Gallifrey made a good point and I must say it has been a concern to me that your builder seems to be the designer. We all love our builder but design isn't their strong point, I would strongly suggest that you employ an Architect to help, you would get great value from this as you will get two for the price of one. There's a lot of money involved and an architect would make your ideas come to life.

But of course we would still love to be involved to see what you end up with,

I'am going to have another look at your ground floor today to see if I can come up with some ideas for you. They will be beautiful houses in an equally beautiful area. cheers

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks siriuskey, my builder designed built and owns Marysville Garden Cottages which are very successful and which are kind of similar to mine but on a smaller scale so he does have some experience in this area but I take on board what you say. I will see what he comes up with and if it's not working I will engage another professional.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

They look lovely but appear to be much smaller and single level floor plan which makes it easier to work with, but he does appear to have style. or maybe it's his wife haha I will look at your house today while the Footies on!! cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jacinta, just attaching a some very roughly sketched ideas for you, it was mentioned that the stairs could be single or split, the new laundry ski room would have a door to the outside. I have taken the gas away for the time being. A sliding door can be shared between the laundry and storage cheers

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey, the bottom photo is one of my favourites! There's a company in Sydney that can do any encaustic pattern in any Pantone in porcelain for the same price as encaustic cement tiles. I plan to have different patterns in complementary blue/grey/white in each bathroom. Love the tile above, classic and not too fussy. Got some samples of other ones today just for inspiration, love the one on the left even if it is a bit full on!

Did you say you added some sketches? I can't see them?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Do you think that there might also be a problem with the parking/carport access, is there going to be enough turning space for getting into and backing out. sorry but it looks a bit tight, 3 out of 4 of our Villas have tandem with one side by side

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Oops, sorry they are just ideas, thinking that with the mudroom/laundry having access from both the front door through to the rear. The kitchen could run along beside the stairs depending how you do the stairs Love the tiles

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think they should be able to back out straight back into the other property side before turning. I do think I may need a double width driveway with some sort of trees/hedge down the middle but not all the way to the south fence so there is room for backing. I wonder if there is enough room to move the carport back so that it covers the entry to the mudroom? Not sure about having the entry to the master directly off the lounge area? Might need a hallway of some sort?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there Jacinta picture this, what it the other house is occupied and their cars are parked in their parking spaces, I don't think it works, it would perhaps be better to have tandem parking for both houses or something in the front. cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

here's a combination of ideas

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmmm, was thinking if both cars were parked they wouldn't extend much past the house and you would have all of the the width of your driveway plus the neighbours driveway (about 6m) to back into before you came to their cars. Will workshop this with my builder and get him to check out the rescodes. Might be a park out front in the setback will be necessary....

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, okloiuse love the upstairs! It's very well resolved! You've really put so much thought into it and am super thankful! Not sure about the jutting out bit in the kitchen but could have a nook coming off the galley instead? Is there any way to resolve the master coming off a hall rather than directly off the lounge? The lounge is huge so can steal a bit from there? Could a powder room then also fit in? Ah, I can really see what siriuskey suggested about having the carports adjoined at the front. I do quite like this, directly into the mud room and would have an area in behind on the south boundary for gas bottles, bins and utilities. Definitely would need a car space in the front setback with this option but that could be ok. Would reduce my depth too which is a bonus ;) Sooo much to think about but stoked at all of the generous help everyone has given

• oklouise
    6 years ago

where is the "galley" and check email for extras

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, think I have explained better what I meant in the email

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Not sure where you are at given the emails

Hi Jacinta, Just a couple questions I know you have limited width to work with.

Are both houses situated on the block facing each other, ie: verandah with the drive way parking between.

What
    is built on either side of your block, could the houses be mirrored with the double
    drive parking between them and verandahs facing the boundary

I was hoping that this might give both houses some privacy and access to a side outdoor area for BBQ etc.

The rear of the house as you mentioned is perfect for Gas Bottles (access needed to deliver to these) Clothes line etc.

On
    my very sketchy drawing I did add a long bench running along the
    verandah from the entry where guests can sit down to remove shoes boots etc without
    walking inside to do this. (I removed it to make my sketch less
    confusing but think it would be a good idea, trust me your guests will
    use the front entrance to your house.

The Laundry access should
    come through the entrance and exit to the rear of the property for
    clothes line access, not to the side of the building.
    I had a funny thought, you are your builders new competition haha
    hope you dont' mind if I continue to send you some of my ideas, attaching a few more photos showing how carports would fit into your house design

cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

latest variations for consideration

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh wow you have been busy! It's funny, I was at my Mum's today and we were discussing your plans. We decided the bunk room was a bit small and she suggested moving it back like you have done.

Agree the fireplace will be be better on the western wall, with flow from the kitchen to the backyard with large doors.

I'm torn about whether the changes to make the mudroom bigger are changing too much what I loved about the previous iteration, i.e. the void and the toilet placement. Although my hubbie wasn't sure about the toilet where it was previously as he was worried sound would carry into the lounge I never thought of that to be honest and really liked how it entered from under the stairs ‍♀️

No views to the south so no need for the window seat, would prefer the void I think and no need for bath downstairs.

Which version do you think works better? Perhaps the mudroom was big enough? I did like the extra room off it for storage etc

Thanks so much for the renders, I'm a bit concerned that it now doesn't look like my original picture. I'm really trying to keep the look as American as possible with the pitch of the veranda and the pitch of the roof. This style has been my dream and is really so much a part of my vision. I don't want something that looks similar to other houses. Sorry if this seems silly.

My builder did mention about the gas bottles and how they need to see their truck. Good idea between the carports. I wonder if it's cost prohibitive to have them buried at the front?

Can I ask what the total sqm is for both upstairs and down?

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey, both houses face the road which is north and have lovely views hence the placement of the lounge kitchen at the front. I don't like the front door coming straight into this space though so therefore the entry to the left but still faving the road.

There will be a backyard to the east of the house on the left and one to the west on the house to the right both approx 4x12m

There is s single crossover in the middle of the block and there is enough room for two carports at the back of the block in the middle like you suggested, so basically a double width driveway straight up the middle separated by a hedge and into separate carports so they don't have to share a driveway which you rightly suggested would be troublesome! I also think you were right about needing the extra park at the front in the setback for backing into.

As these will be short term rentals and most likely people won't be hanging out a ton of washing, I think I'm ok with the entry from the carport and not directly to the south?

Ha, yes but not really competition as I will cater to larger groups and kids.

Really do appreciate all of the suggestions!!

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jacinta, What consideration have you planned for couples only
    bedding, bunks are great for kids the right ages ( we have one Villa
    with bunk bed a lot of potential guests don't like them considering
    them unsafe, we have removable stairs to avoid any little ones wanting
    to climb up onto the top bunk, and have a pull out under the bunk to use
    in this situation.) but not for adults, If you were booking couples you
    wood have 3 bedrooms - 3 couples?, can the bunk room have large sliding
    door panels a bit like some old school class rooms, which could give
    you 4 bedrooms all be it two smaller ones.

Laundry, most guests
    will use the dryer but if you sell the houses the clothes lines will be
    needed for bed linen etc.. thanks for the picture, are you considering
    an architect so that you can keep the American dream alive cheers

Concerned
    about the long driveway to park in the carport, we have observed some
    very creative ways of guests trying to back out even in short drieways.

My suggestion was to bring the carport forward and having another space
    in front of the house for extra parking, you will have more than two
    cars to accommodate at times. Council will only require 2 but best to
    plan for more ie: 3 -4 couples and any friends, boats?

Are you considering an architect so that you can keep the American dream alive cheers

these bunks accommodate adults as well as lots of kids

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

SorryJacinta, Having the garage/carport up the back at the end of a long driveway was something that was done in the past if you look at today's designs these have now been moved to the front to blend in with/and become part of the house. The wasted driveway is better used as a lovely outdoor garden space between the houses, and will add the privacy and separation, Just my thoughts, you must do what you want

• jacintamchugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks suriuskey, I think the only place for them is at the back of the block, if they were at the front adjoined to the house we wouldn't get any of the beautiful east sun/views into our kitchen & nook. Also like having the entry to the mudroom from the carport.

I will be having bunks like below in the bunk room, bottom are queens so that 4 couples can stay but 2 will have to share a room....

• oklouise
    6 years ago

smallest version so far

jacintamchugh thanked oklouise
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

new roof, much simpler

total about 220sqm plus balcony and verandah