Houzz Logo Print
rossfastuca

Renovation second level extension - experiences of adding a level?

Ross Fastuca
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, looking at renovating my house. It's been a decision of renovating or move. If I move I'd lose the nice 910sq/m block which is next to impossible to find these days within 25mins of the city (Melbourne, Australia). Another choice is knockdown rebuild, but the house has only recently been renovated so it's a really nice modern/contemporary style right now. Wouldn't want to spend over $500k but no idea what we're looking at. Spending that much would still put us ahead if we were to sell, according to a valuer, which is where the figure came from. Want to add to the original house, but keep the land space so we're thinking best to go up. Add an extra bedroom, retreat upstairs, extra living downstairs and study with some storage space (hopefully, you can see that in the drawings below). Has anyone been through a Reno where they added an additional level and explain the steps you went through, to go end to end, and/or things to be wary of, would be really helpful? Currently engaging an architect but thought I'd ask for some experiences here. Here's the house now.

Here's what we'd love to do to it (backyard with pool, shed and pool house are already there) but this is just me playing around. I'm sure an architect will do a much better job!;

Comments (40)