Houzz Logo Print
bentleybonnie

Question? Pro Bathroom designers vs renovator vs stylist vs architect

As evidenced by my design dilemma posts, I am been pondering how to renovate my current bathroom space - After speaking to a real estate agent in the area regarding whether there is benefit in adding a VERY small ensuite to my place or just doing the best job I can on current bathroom space, she recommended the latter - ie. not much benefit by having a second bathroom lacking space.

I know which looks I like in bathrooms, but just seem to be incapable of putting one together myself that entails all I need and for it to look great. I have thought about this bathroom for so long, I really want it to make a statement (and if anyone knows any women with Aspergers, as I have recently been diagnosed with, you may understand how overwhelming it gets for me to try to fathom how to make a great bathroom on a budget, that won't be out of date in 5 years time, is practical, looks good......

Finally, my question is - if I was to want to just get help in creating a bathroom design - including choice of tiles, whether to include a window in the shower or no window, how best to structure/style/finish off an inbuilt alcove for washing machine and dryer, where to purchase mirror from and what type, where to buy economically, and whatever other style/design questions for a bathroom reno (from someone that considers price when they come up with a design....and knows how to weigh up pros and cons of relative costs of one design/styling over another and cost of fantastic look as compared to very good look etc, then who would I employ just for this service (if I was to organise the other tradespeople myself - although for the sheeting, handyman stuff, so far I only know a very handy friend because most builders don't want to touch small jobs).

I got a quote at an early stage, from a bathroom renovater. However, he didn't have ideas about how to do tiles or layout etc and whilst he did the whole project, it relied on me knowing exactly the tiles and layout of the tiles etc......

I have coordinated a bathroom renovation many years ago when I worked with a bunch of handy guys that gave me advice on what order to do things in and the bathroom was basically just following the same design, but this current bathroom is a bit more complicated in that I am wanted to change the look and layout and I just don't know how to get to the next stage of saying "yes, this is the exact vanity style and colour that I need, the exact tiles that I need, how I do the washing machine/dryer space, how I do the shower space etc etc....I have some ideas but not complete ones...I have also received some great ideas from kind people on this site to which I am extremely grateful, but I just don't know how to progress to next stage of having the EXACT design locked in to move to next step of organising quotes from tradesmen etc. I have heaps of time on my hands until 22nd July when I will be back at uni full time, so i would really like to progress it now - because after that I will not be able to work on it again until late October and using the makeshift shower downstairs via garden house attached to laundry taps and shower curtains around the area is getting a bit too much too take for this length of time (although it has certainly enabled me to get used to simple living such as living in remote Thailand volunteering in village or remote Aust. in Indigenous community (which has more mod cons than Thailand village) for which I eventually want to use my qualification).

Anyway sorry for the rave - I am typing in a rush as i have an appointment. I just don't know who to consult for this last stage - someone that is a bit of an all rounder in skills but that can just give me a bit of advice to set me on right track. Unfortunately, the budget is not big so I can't pay thousands of extra dollars for a design and project management service but am happy to pay for some good advice from someone that considers, design, styling, practicality, and price. (For example, I can't buy from Reece - they just seem really expensive compared to other alternatives).

Many thanks if you have managed to read to this point.

Comments (3)